Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The box is stupid huge - consider being home the day it's delivered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Area
Sep 9, 2000
Battle Without Honor or Humanity
I've seen people talking about using a 40" 4k TV as a cheap large computer monitor. Is this a bad idea?

Things I care about:
* Easy to read lots of text/code
* Linux support ( mostly Ubuntu )
* Price < €500 incl VAT

Things I don't care about
* games

So far I've learned I should be looking for an IPS screen to avoid viewing angle problems when sitting close to a big screen, and to avoid LG because RGBW pixels make text blurry.

Any other things I should take into account?

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Does anything bad stand out in BENQ ex3203r? It's 550€ 32" Freesync 2 monitor with 2560x1440, which looks low compared to AW3418DW, but I can't find that Dell below 950€. For the difference I can either get Vega56 to replace my GTX1060 or simply wait a couple of months to see what AMD shows and what's the answer from team green.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Grey Area posted:

I've seen people talking about using a 40" 4k TV as a cheap large computer monitor. Is this a bad idea?

Make sure it actually takes 1:1 PC input. Many 4k TVs do not actually accept a 4k signal--they'll take a 1080p signal and upscale it with predictably poor results.

Honestly, at the cheap end, TVs are better off being used for games than they are for text. If at all possible, I'd recommend you trying to drag a laptop to a big-box store and actually demoing a few TVs to get a feel for how readable text will be on them before you buy anything.

If you don't need the TV tuner portion of the TV, and are just using this as an actual PC monitor, poke around on Amazon/NewEgg: there are basic ~40" 4k PC monitors that you can get for <$500.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Grey Area posted:

Things I care about :
* Easy to read lots of text/code
* Linux support ( mostly Ubuntu )
* Price < €500 incl VAT

Things I don't care about
* games

So far I've learned I should be looking for an IPS screen to avoid viewing angle problems when sitting close to a big screen, and to avoid LG because RGBW pixels make text blurry.

I'm not sure what the equivalent would be now, but I've been using the 39" 4k AMH A399U for a few years now, it was around $550 when I got it. Realistically I only use about 1/3 of the screen for productivity/web browsing, but I love the versatility of being able to use it as a big screen media interface and being able to set it to ultra wide screen when needed.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

DrDork posted:

Make sure it actually takes 1:1 PC input. Many 4k TVs do not actually accept a 4k signal--they'll take a 1080p signal and upscale it with predictably poor results.

Honestly, at the cheap end, TVs are better off being used for games than they are for text. If at all possible, I'd recommend you trying to drag a laptop to a big-box store and actually demoing a few TVs to get a feel for how readable text will be on them before you buy anything.

If you don't need the TV tuner portion of the TV, and are just using this as an actual PC monitor, poke around on Amazon/NewEgg: there are basic ~40" 4k PC monitors that you can get for <$500.

how does one actually figure out if its "actual 4k" or fake?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology

Rexxed posted:

The Dell ultrasharps are fantastic but have a little bit of a price premium:
https://smile.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-U2717D-27-inch-InfinityEdge/dp/B01D402Z28/

Pretty much every other major brand's 27" 1440 monitor is going to be fine, though, as long as you buy IPS. This is just one example:
https://smile.amazon.com/Acer-K272HUL-Dbmidpx-2560x1440-UM-HX2AA-D03-x/dp/B01INVZTG2/

If you need something for cheaper there's regular sales on monitors, and Dell's refurbished stuff from their outlet store are usually hard to distinguish from new (unless you buy scratch and dent).

Just thought I would point this out in case anyone is in a similar market as me, the Dell Ultrasharp mentioned above is on sale at Dell right now for $300.
https://deals.dell.com/work/productdetail/1m6m

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

So... in your guys' opinion, is a 75hz Freesync IPS monitor any sort of meaningful improvement over a basic 60hz IPS? I'm looking at this guy: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1334660-REG/dell_se2717h_flat_panel_monitor_27.html But I'm wondering if it's really worth switching to Radeon for.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

net cafe scandal posted:

So... in your guys' opinion, is a 75hz Freesync IPS monitor any sort of meaningful improvement over a basic 60hz IPS? I'm looking at this guy: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1334660-REG/dell_se2717h_flat_panel_monitor_27.html But I'm wondering if it's really worth switching to Radeon for.
75 Hz isn't a meaningful improvement, 100 would be, 144 would be even better, 165+ is diminishing returns but still something that is easy to spot the difference in motion. 75 is not worth switching to a Radeon unless you already have a good one on hand, just spend the money you would have spent on the Radeon on a 120+ Hz IPS instead (gsync optional, but would probably be worth it if you already have a supporting nvidia gpu).

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Indiana_Krom posted:

75 Hz isn't a meaningful improvement, 100 would be, 144 would be even better, 165+ is diminishing returns but still something that is easy to spot the difference in motion. 75 is not worth switching to a Radeon unless you already have a good one on hand, just spend the money you would have spent on the Radeon on a 120+ Hz IPS instead (gsync optional, but would probably be worth it if you already have a supporting nvidia gpu).

I should mention that this is for a fresh build so it's really about whether or should I should start with AMD or Nvidia.

By the way, is there a technical reason there aren't any higher refresh rate IPS 1080p monitors? For me the ranking of importance goes screen quality > refresh rate > screen size so it would be nice to have one that ticks the first two boxes.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

I should mention that this is for a fresh build so it's really about whether or should I should start with AMD or Nvidia.

By the way, is there a technical reason there aren't any higher refresh rate IPS 1080p monitors? For me the ranking of importance goes screen quality > refresh rate > screen size so it would be nice to have one that ticks the first two boxes.

The technology required for high refresh rate IPS was initially prohibitively expensive and didn't make sense to segment down to 1080p. That is, it would not have been significantly cheaper for the large drop in resolution. This is a similar situation to the recently released 4K/HDR/multi-zone backlight monitors, they are only $2000 halo products and we will see lower cost models over the next two years.

Now that it is ubiquitous there are a bunch of >120Hz 1080p IPS displays on the roadmap coming in Q1 2019.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

BurritoJustice posted:

The technology required for high refresh rate IPS was initially prohibitively expensive and didn't make sense to segment down to 1080p. That is, it would not have been significantly cheaper for the large drop in resolution. This is a similar situation to the recently released 4K/HDR/multi-zone backlight monitors, they are only $2000 halo products and we will see lower cost models over the next two years.

Now that it is ubiquitous there are a bunch of >120Hz 1080p IPS displays on the roadmap coming in Q1 2019.

Oh, sick. Sounds like I should just be patient in that case... luckily I have a functional monitor from my previous build. Is there anywhere I can read about these 1080ps down the road? Price and such?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
You need to figure out how much you want to spend in total and what you want to use it for before deciding what to buy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

E: wrong thread!

exquisite tea fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 15, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

E: wrong thread!

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Temp is fine, it won't be an issue even with prolonged gaming sessions.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wow, and a quote is not edit! Not batting a thousand today. :v:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

K8.0 posted:

You need to figure out how much you want to spend in total and what you want to use it for before deciding what to buy.

I mean, I pretty much know that already, and I’m no hurry to buy. I just want to see this roadmap he was talking about.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

I mean, I pretty much know that already, and I’m no hurry to buy. I just want to see this roadmap he was talking about.

"How much" really drives both NVidia vs AMD and the monitor recommendations. If you're ok with spending >$400 on a GPU, you're probably going NVidia whether you want to or not, making FreeSync pointless.

While it's something of a personal preference, the monitor you linked is a 27" 1080p, which generally are not really recommended unless you sit far back or already know that this format looks good to you. 1080p should really be limited to 24"; at 27" you should be looking for 1440p monitors.

As Indiana_Krom noted, 75Hz isn't a night-and-day difference, but it's still 25% faster than 60Hz, so if the question is 60 vs 75, yeah, it's better. But unless you're really trying to stay under a strict budget, there are probably other options that'll get you better results.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

While it’s true that my budget is tight, I’m also content to wait for a more fitting option than currently exists now. 1440p feels needlessly extravagant, but TN is a dealbreaker for me since I need to work with Illustrator. At the same time, I really like the feel of the higher refresh rate monitors and am excited at the prospect of extremely smooth FPS action, but I kinda know that I can’t afford parts that can handle 1440p 144hz. Which makes the prospect of a high hz 1080p IPS screen sound literally perfect, and why I’m excited to know that they’re in the works.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I personally would pick 1440 vertical pixels over 144hz for a system that is used for productivity and some gaming unless I didn't have room for a 27" screen.

Get a monitor to last several years and worry about being able to push the pixels to it when you can afford to.

Also, gently caress Nvidia for not supporting vesa adaptive sync because they make my advice suck. I've been holding off on buying a faster monitor because of their vendor lock bullshit.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Nov 15, 2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

CopperHound posted:

I personally would pick 1440 vertical pixels over 144hz for a system that is used for productivity and some gaming unless I didn't have room for a 27" screen.

Get a monitor to last several years and worry about being able to push the pixels to it when you can afford to.

This. The higher resolution will make every minute you use the monitor a better experience; high-Hz will only matter when you're gaming, and only if you have the GPU to push it. For reference, 1080p@144 works out to about the same GPU requirement as 1440p@80.

If you got a 1440p high-Hz monitor but didn't quite have the GPU to hit >100Hz, you can always use the control panels to force smaller resolutions while gaming, like 1080p, effectively giving you the best of both worlds.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

BTW thanks for the warning against 27” 1080p.. That actually sounds like it’s gonna suck and line up against my personal preference as well.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

CopperHound posted:

No poo poo.

144Hz is a nice feature for gaming if you feel it helps, it means nothing for productivity.

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Looking for a decent cheap-ish monitor recommendation, my requirements are:
-IPS Panel
-1080p
-23"-24"
-60Hz is fine
-Budget of £100-£130

A cursory search has brought up these two, but I really have no idea what to look for:
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/238-asus-vz249he-ips-ultra-slim-bezel-monitor-1920x1080-hdmi-vga-low-blue-light
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/23-iiyama-prolite-xu2390hs-b1-monitor-ips-panel-1920x1080-5ms-250cd-m-brightness-d-sub-dvi-hdmi-blac

Will one of these do or any other suggestions? Thanks!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You can rarely go wrong with Dell's UltraSharp series.

There might be monitors with better trade-offs, but you can always fall back on UltraSharps with guaranteed quality. Just make sure you use a calibration profile from a review to apply to your monitor.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

net cafe scandal posted:

While it’s true that my budget is tight, I’m also content to wait for a more fitting option than currently exists now. 1440p feels needlessly extravagant, but TN is a dealbreaker for me since I need to work with Illustrator. At the same time, I really like the feel of the higher refresh rate monitors and am excited at the prospect of extremely smooth FPS action, but I kinda know that I can’t afford parts that can handle 1440p 144hz. Which makes the prospect of a high hz 1080p IPS screen sound literally perfect, and why I’m excited to know that they’re in the works.

It would be fine to buy a 1440/144/IPS/gsync monitor on sale knowing you're "only" going to be driving it at 80 FPS for the next couple years, because a monitor will last longer than that and having 1440 IPS on the desktop is amazing. IMO 1080 is more or less a dead resolution and driving 4k is still at least 5+ years away for the average gamer, making 1440 or 1440 ultrawide the current sweet spot where you'll get a lot of personal value out of the monitor and also have a reasonably high resale expectation if you decide to upgrade in a few years. 3 years from now nobody is really going to care that your 1080p monitor has any special features, it'll be worth pretty much the same as any other 1080p display since only people on an extreme budget will want them.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

drat, if I’m being totally honest, you guys are making me want a 1440p monitor. But a GTX 1060 might not really cut the mustard at that point, huh?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

net cafe scandal posted:

drat, if I’m being totally honest, you guys are making me want a 1440p monitor. But a GTX 1060 might not really cut the mustard at that point, huh?

So long as you're not asking it to give you 100-144FPS or Ultra settings all the time, a 6GB 1060, and maybe even one of the new cut-down 1080 SKUs with GDDR5X would drive non-UW 1440p rather well.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

net cafe scandal posted:

970 is cutting mustard very well at 4k. I suppose it depends on your kind of mustard. Mine means Diablo 3, Starcraft 2 and Ctities: Skylines at ultra/whatever settings with somewhere above 60 FPS in linux. That's all i need, all i ask, and 970 does the job without breaking a sweat.

Spectracide
May 27, 2004
IT'S ARGH, BABY!
I got an Asus PG279Q from Microcenter for a very sweet $550 (+tax), but it has awful backlight bleed. This is what it looks like. The left side is fine, but the top right and bottom right corners are very noticeable. It's not IPS glow because it doesn't change as I move my head. And yeah, that is with auto exposure, but here's being generous with the exposure turned down. Back it goes. :( Not sure if I care to play the exchange game or not. Gotta say, 144hz + G-sync is buttery smooth, though.

Also, I'm coming from having used an ultrawide (Dell U3415W) for 2.5 years, and looking at this new (non-curved) monitor is loving with my eyes. It looks like it has barrel distortion, like it's bulging outwards, but it must be my eyes being used to the ultrawide's curve. I think... :tinfoil:

mem
Sep 1, 2005
My acer has the same panel, and if I crank the brightness all the way up with the lights off I can see backlight bleed, but I never use my monitor like that. I can't even see the backlight bleed in your second photo on my phone.

These particular panels definitely have some backlight bleed and ips glow issues though. I'm glad I'm not sensitive to that, probably my old eyes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DrDork posted:

This. The higher resolution will make every minute you use the monitor a better experience; high-Hz will only matter when you're gaming, and only if you have the GPU to push it. For reference, 1080p@144 works out to about the same GPU requirement as 1440p@80.

If you got a 1440p high-Hz monitor but didn't quite have the GPU to hit >100Hz, you can always use the control panels to force smaller resolutions while gaming, like 1080p, effectively giving you the best of both worlds.

I agree 100% and think 1440p offers the current sweet spot between high resolution and high framerates (and totally not just because I'm trying to justify all the money I spent on a G-Sync monitor). Personally I don't notice ultra-high refresh rates, anything above 60fps all starts to feel the same to me, but the sharper textures and environmental details that come from 1440p gaming are super conspicuous. I also have a PS4 Pro and the fuzziness in games that are locked at 1080p even with supersampling makes that resolution begin to feel really outdated. And more PC games are increasingly begin to offer dynamic scaling options that temporarily downgrade resolution to maintain a consistent framerate, so if your system can shoot above 60fps in 2k most but not all of the time it can be a good option for you.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Hey so I've been using this terrible ASUS monitor for like literally 10 years now as my main display and I'm getting tired of it. I don't do a lot of high end gaming, besides emulators (3ds atm) and I mostly just use the thing for reading manga in portrait mode. Do you guys have any recommendations?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Hey so I've been using this terrible ASUS monitor for like literally 10 years now as my main display and I'm getting tired of it. I don't do a lot of high end gaming, besides emulators (3ds atm) and I mostly just use the thing for reading manga in portrait mode. Do you guys have any recommendations?

An IPS of the largest and highest res that comes in under your budget. No need for >60Hz monitors if you're not doing anything other than emulators for gaming. Dell UltraSharps are the gold standard, but naturally a little more expensive than some of the other brands. Not sure what size you're looking for, but I'd recommend:

U2417 24" 1080p IPS for $220
U2715H 27" 1440p IPS for ~$425
U2717D 27" 1440p IPS for ~$300
U2718Q 27" 4k IPS for ~450

Plenty of other options available, depending on what exactly you're looking for, but those are good starts.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

After spending the past 3 months with 3 different monitors I want for multipurpose - but mostly for games - I now have finally settled down with the 2nd Samsung C27HG70

Things I wanted:
- WQHD/1440p for the input from a GF 1080
- 27" (could've gone with 30" as well I guess)
- Good colors in all situations since I do a bit of everything from playing games to doing graphic stuff
- Good response times for games
- Not too pricey (initially my budget was 400€ max)

So wanting everything at at least a "good enough" level made the search quite difficult.

Monitor shopping is a loving pain. I started off way too cheap, blinded by Amazon 5star reviews (which often are pretty helpful these days tbh. Especially with monitors quite a few people go through effort of uploading pictures if they have issues with it) with the ASUS PB277Q for ~280€. That was TN, which I thought might be okay due to lower latency coming from an extreme high latency old WSXGA+ LG IPS (with marvelous viewing angle stability). That turned out to be a desaster in image quality. It was fast but the image just looked like poo poo with bad colors and brightness notable everywhere. It also produced notable ghosting.
Worse though was the absolutly awful viewing angle. Slight head moves resulted in constant color shifting, "170/160°" my rear end.

What was immediately notable on the positive side was the shift from 60Hz to the 75Hz that one had. So I made the descision that I want 144Hz. Which shrank the available monitor range to around 14 different monitors.

Due to years of using high latency I didn't feel the impact of the low response that much, so my next choice was the slightly more expensive Acer XF270HUA with IPS for 420€. That one was great, I didn't notice the higher latency that much and the colors were just brilliant again, as was the viewing angle. Sadly though, that one had extreme IPS glow. Basically the lower right 3rd was glowing. Don't know if it was due to a bad model or maybe all of that series have the issue. It was a bit sad sice the monitor design was super simple, none of that ugly gaming poo poo and had good reachable USB 3 ports on the side as well as a very thin bezel. After a few days however I couldn't bare that extreme glow anymore, it was just too much.

Then someone told me to get the Samsung C27HG70. I hesitated a bit due to the price of around 530€ and no experience with VA panels plus a lot of reviews pointed out issues with clouding unless you got lucky. I didn't get lucky and the homogeneity was terrible. The right side (again) was completely off when displaying anything in grey. It had a variety of other inconsistencies with the background light, like a fine line in the upper third that was brighter as the rest.
But the picture was otherwise very nice in terms of colors and the display was very fast. I hesitaded to yet again try a different monitor. I took a look at 4k even but there was nothing with 144Hz and most were 60. So yesterday I just tried my luck and orderd another Samsung C27HG70. This time I was lucky and the panel lighting is much better and doesn't show any kind of clouds, not even slightly.

So in short:

+ High range of features (HDR - but 8Bit FCR, FreeSync, several response time settings, 2 USB-3 ports, pivot)
+ Very nice picture, good saturated colors, good brightness levels
+ 144Hz is amazing, outside of games too in my opinion
+ Good, if not perfect viewing angle
+ Great response times - with very slight ghosting which I don't notice in games.
+ Great OSD and usability (per joystick, but it has 3 additional buttons as well for quick access)
+ Several features like a "black equalizer" and 3 response time modes (3rd one makes the picture too dark though for my taste), also "low input lag" mode.
+ Interesting pedestal (initially off-putting, but when I acutally put it on my desk it was pretty neat and not as deep as I feared and the transformation works just nice. Also has pivot function which is a bit odd due to the monitor being curved) - and it's the only monitor I ever got that has the pointless power LED per default OFF when the monitor is ON
+ 1800 curve is pretty good, although I'm not really more immersed in anything. For me its just a small comfort plus I got surprisingly fast used to

- Bad I/O panel design. Everything is at the back, facing downwards in a rather deep inlet/bay that is barely high enough to properly connect the default cables. It is closed with a cheap plastic cover and has all USB ports there as well. So you can't quickly connect/disconnect USB devices unless you preinstall cables.
- It has an option for "USB Super Charge" which sometimes works and sometimes not (?)
- Cable management looks ugly and disturbes the design of the otherwise good looking pedestal
- rather thick bezel, so multimonitor setups which would go perfect with the 1800 curve will suffer
-- May have to go through several devices until getting one without panel/backlight issues

I wasn't able to test it's HDR functionality. It also has an external PSU where I don't yet know if that is bad or good. At the very least, you don't have that big and often comparable short power cable to handle which is good.

Now I can go happily into the weekend with the end of a super annoying journey to find a proper display device for myself. Despite the fact that one obviously can get really bad models, I would still highly recommend it for multi-purpose.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Is someone tracking the best Black Friday monitors somewhere?

cuedotcom
Jun 16, 2009

:getout:
Holy loving ball sacks. Got my monitor in today. This is probably the best money I’ve ever spent on one time that was solely for me, aside from my vehicle. It’s beautiful, and perfect. First ips monitor first ultra wide. I don’t think I’ll ever loving go back.

Thank you goons, thank you. I’m in love ^_^

AW3418DW

If you’re on the fence, monitor shopping as I was, nutt up and pull the loving trigger. Ultra wide ips is worth its weight. Very glad I chose this over the two acer’s I was considering.

e: 0 dead pixels

cuedotcom fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 17, 2018

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

cuedotcom posted:

Holy loving ball sacks. Got my monitor in today. This is probably the best money I’ve ever spent on one time that was solely for me, aside from my vehicle. It’s beautiful, and perfect. First ips monitor first ultra wide. I don’t think I’ll ever loving go back.

Glad you're happy with it! Seriously, I don't understand how people can spend $2000+ on a computer and then only $200 on a monitor. A nice monitor is so very much worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

cuedotcom posted:

Thank you goons, thank you. I’m in love ^_^

AW3418DW

If you’re on the fence, monitor shopping as I was, nutt up and pull the loving trigger. Ultra wide ips is worth its weight. Very glad I chose this over the two acer’s I was considering.

e: 0 dead pixels

Write down your Service Tag somewhere or take a picture of it, because once you set it up, it's really difficult to get eyes on it without doing some creative monitor acrobatics.