Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Lackmaster posted:

Could it go to 144hz with HDR turned off? Is the DP1.4 standard capable of going higher?

DP 1.4 maxes out at 4K 120Hz with 8 bits per color channel. To get to 144Hz you need either chroma subsampling, or a dual DP cable solution (the Acer XV273K I think is the only monitor that does this) but then Freesync/G-sync won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Archibald Tuttle posted:

So, what is everyone's thoughts on this?

It's a 34 inch ultrawide IPS 1080p 144hz monitor.
https://www.amazon.com/d/Monitors/LG-34UC79G-B-34-Inch-21-UltraWide/B01LW5CGIS

Right now I'm using a 60hz 27 inch 1080p IPS viewsonic that I've had for 5 years+ I think. The 27 1080 has the same ppi as the 34 inch ultrawide, I know that's a thing for some people, but I've never had a problem with my current monitor so who knows. I'm down a secondary monitor and was thinking of jumping on the higher refresh bandwagon and started looking into the ultrawides as they seemed like they'd provide an interesting aspect for gaming and also just having a very large desktop area. Admittedly, I did waffle when I saw the Alienware one posted earlier, but I think I'd rather push higher frames at 1080 than make the jump to 1440, especially if I can save 300 bucks in the process. But, here I am. So figured I'd ask if any of you have any opinions or if any of you have owned the monitor in question and have any thoughts.

I have this monitor! I got it last year, mainly because in my region, for ultrawides, it's either this or top end stuff which is double the price, and the regular widescreen 1440p IPS that are considered good are even more expensive here.

My thoughts:
- If you're used to 1080p it is fine. Is it great? No, not really, especially if you've seen better, like 4k. But it's doable and I don't really think about it.
- The high refresh rate is excellent, and I notice it in my browsing, especially when it comes to screen scrolling and mouse movement. It's not really what I would call a deal breaker, but once I used it, it's hard to go back to lower framerates.
- It's of course great in games that support it high FPS.
- The extra bit on the side really helps me out with work. I've used 1440p for this too but the aspect ratio kind of just doesn't work for me putting two documents side by side, so I really appreciate this.

My own verdict is: I thought it's a great buy. However, if there is an equivalent monitor at 1440p that doesn't break the bank, I would go for that instead. But I bought this at 2k and the 1440p equivalent here is 4k+ so...no.

The main advantage for me is the ultrawide, I really appreciate the extra screen estate. The framerate one is one I notice, but hardly what I would call essential in your day to day.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

After months of indecision I've ordered AW3418DW. :poland: so it costs 950€, but LG 34gk950f is 300€ more expensive, gsync one a bit more. I really wanted to get an higher tier AMD card and Freesync 2 monitor, but it doesn't look like AMD can put up a fight in that tier now. Thanks thread for all the info, it was very helpful.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

alex314 posted:

After months of indecision I've ordered AW3418DW. :poland: so it costs 950€, but LG 34gk950f is 300€ more expensive, gsync one a bit more. I really wanted to get an higher tier AMD card and Freesync 2 monitor, but it doesn't look like AMD can put up a fight in that tier now. Thanks thread for all the info, it was very helpful.

I got that coming from a 27” 1440p 60hZ.

You’re gonna be really happy.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

alex314 posted:

So I have been looking at the following monitors. Just built an 8700k /EVGA 2070 ultra / 16 gb:

16:9 Ones:
Acer Predator Gaming Z321QU
LG 32GK850G-B

Ultra Wide:
DELL AW3418DW (IPS) https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Alienwa...=AW3418DW&psc=1
DELL AW3418DW (VA) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0777RY75...fd-ad0a97d0ca89
ACER X34 Acer Predator Gaming X34

I like the IDEA of a ultra-wide but i have 2 main concerns:
1. Playing games not made for ultra wide resolutions displays the game on less screen space, making the "monitor" feel smaller than it is
2. I understand it is harder for a video card to push ultra wide resolutions, as it might limit my ability to run games on high, as opposed to 16x9 resolutions.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a reason there hasn’t been a successor to the PG279G for four years now? Lack of new technology, or just not enough demand to warrant changing things?

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

ufarn posted:

Is there a reason there hasn’t been a successor to the PG279G for four years now? Lack of new technology, or just not enough demand to warrant changing things?
Yes.

Supposedly later this year AUO is going to make a 2560x1440 @ 240 Hz panel, unfortunately it will be a TN.

They also say there are plans for a 240 Hz IPS, but only at 24.5" 1080p which most everyone around here considers to be a dead size/resolution.

fancyclown
Dec 10, 2012
Yow, anyone has an opinion on LG 27UK650 vs BenQ PD2700U? I would use it mainly for editing photo/video and surfing the series of tubes. Or do you guys think these are poo poo and recommend some other 4k monitor?

If I go with the LG, will my gtx 1070 be able to use Freesync? I rarely play games but I figured I’d ask anyway.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

Yes.

Supposedly later this year AUO is going to make a 2560x1440 @ 240 Hz panel, unfortunately it will be a TN.

They also say there are plans for a 240 Hz IPS, but only at 24.5" 1080p which most everyone around here considers to be a dead size/resolution.
Oh yeah, and I forgot they released the *Z update of the model - that still has QC issues - in October 2018 so I guess this might be what we'll get for the time being. Guess HDMI 2.1 features are for TV. And it's not even available in Europe afaict.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Feb 16, 2019

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

strategery posted:

1. Playing games not made for ultra wide resolutions displays the game on less screen space, making the "monitor" feel smaller than it is
2. I understand it is harder for a video card to push ultra wide resolutions, as it might limit my ability to run games on high, as opposed to 16x9 resolutions.

I've assumed I can just cut the usable space to 2560x1440, leaving black bars to the sides. For now I'll make do with 1060 6GB, so I might end up going through backlog of older games.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Any proper reviews for the new 27 inch 144hz 1440p IPS Acers?
What were the most common quality issues PG279G had and are they detectable in store? Might get it next month.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Sininu posted:

Any proper reviews for the new 27 inch 144hz 1440p IPS Acers?
What were the most common quality issues PG279G had and are they detectable in store? Might get it next month.
For PG279G*, check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXB9KQ_m8a8

Rtings are generally my go-to since their scorecard is so intelligible.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I don't really see a big reason to buy one of those monitors over a Nixeus EDG-27S v2 at this point unless you're an incredibly serious competitive gamer. The Nixeus is the same type of thinner bezel refresh, same panel AFAIK, but it's a Freesync monitor so it's a ton cheaper - but it does have variable overdrive, which is the biggest feature the gsync module gives you over most freesync monitors. We'll have to wait for meaningful reviews to be sure, but at $400 MSRP it seems like it's hard to beat.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

ufarn posted:

For PG279G*, check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXB9KQ_m8a8

Rtings are generally my go-to since their scorecard is so intelligible.

Yeah, I'm looking for similar quality reviews of the Acer monitors that were recently released.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Why not just get an AW3418DW for single player games and one of those 240hZ 1080p monitors for competitive ones? You wouldn’t be here if you didn’t hate money!

(oh god this was a joke please don’t waste your money on this)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

tehinternet posted:

Why not just get an AW3418DW for single player games and one of those 240hZ 1080p monitors for competitive ones? You wouldn’t be here if you didn’t hate money!

(oh god this was a joke please don’t waste your money on this)

You joke, but I've seriously thought about getting an ultra wide to augment my PG279q and stacking them. Just have to make some kind of rotating mount...

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ok I may need to search the thread better but I have be scouring the net and just cannot seem to find a proper solution or fix for my problem.

I have a Qnix QX2710 that happens to actually go up to 120hz with a little timing adjustments after seeing a proper CRU post recently.

Since my main monitor is an ASUS Swift PG348Q, I only need the QX it to hit 100hz which it also can do. (The reason I need them to match Refresh Rate is if I don't and play a game with G-Sync, video played in the 2nd monitor is a slow/delayed mess. Match the Hz, everything is fine.)

The problem I am having, is when I use any form of custom resolution, be it set with the Nvidia CP or using CRU, my 980Ti will just not idle. Instead of chilling out at 135mhz when idle. (When both Monitors are set to their native Res+Hz) It hangs out at 963Mhz and heats up the card, case, in the summer, the room, etc while also just eating power needlessly.

It's not a Huge issue, but its a sub optimal issue that Is pissing me off that there is no fix for.

My initial idea was to somehow trick Windows/Nvidia into thinking the Monitor natively supports 90-100-120Hz through either EDID or INI, but I cannot seem to find anything online on how to do this without flashing the chip on the screen itself, and I can't even seem to find a way to do that...

Also the CRU guy says that the reason Nvidia/AMD cards may not Idle is as follows.

CRU Thread posted:

The video card will not reduce clock speeds when idle if the vertical blanking/total is too low. Horizontal values can still be reduced if necessary.

Older AMD/ATI cards require the "LCD standard" vertical blanking/total to reduce the memory clock when idle.
NVIDIA and newer AMD/ATI cards can handle some lower values depending on the resolution and refresh rate.

He mentions that the Vertical Blanking should be set to LCD Standard, which I can achieve at both 90 and 100hz just fine, but the GPU will still not idle.

So has anyone else who ran into this have any idea how to fix it?

*Edit*

Crap, further digging looks like Multi Monitors are still a separate issue for Idle. Something about having to be a multiple of 60hz, (So either 60hz, or 120hz). Well crap.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 17, 2019

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Hey so looking for a bit of help & information on getting a new monitor and yall folks seem very knowledgeable in that. I currently have a Benq RL2460HT model monitor and it works great for what I need right now but looking to upgrade and future proof.

What I would be looking for that is important to me is 1) 4k 2) hdr 3) 1ms response time 4) HDMI out(very key). Part of my job is recording game footage(fighting games specifically) and the like so having HDMI out is very handy as I don't have to do a variety of things that would induce lag into the setup to record footage. The model I have right now works great for what I need but its stuck at 1080p.

Cheaper is better I guess? But I know good quality costs $$$, appreciate any help or insight on whats out there or perhaps something thats upcoming that could fit the bill. Monitor size is whatever but anywhere from 24" to 29" is fine.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Evil Canadian posted:

Hey so looking for a bit of help & information on getting a new monitor and yall folks seem very knowledgeable in that. I currently have a Benq RL2460HT model monitor and it works great for what I need right now but looking to upgrade and future proof.

What I would be looking for that is important to me is 1) 4k 2) hdr 3) 1ms response time 4) HDMI out(very key). Part of my job is recording game footage(fighting games specifically) and the like so having HDMI out is very handy as I don't have to do a variety of things that would induce lag into the setup to record footage. The model I have right now works great for what I need but its stuck at 1080p.

Cheaper is better I guess? But I know good quality costs $$$, appreciate any help or insight on whats out there or perhaps something thats upcoming that could fit the bill. Monitor size is whatever but anywhere from 24" to 29" is fine.

HDMI out? You mean like, pass through? What is the point of that? I don't know if that is a thing that exists on any 4K monitor.

Disregarding that though, the combination of other requirements (assuming you actually want real HDR and not just "accepts 10-bit wide gamut input") make for an impossible combination. 1ms response time requires either a TN panel, which excludes HDR because nobody in their right mind would manufacture something like that, or an IPS panel with backlight strobing, which excludes HDR because the strobing reduces the achievable peak brightness. You can't have actual HDR and an 1ms response time in the same monitor, is what I'm saying.

If you are willing to compromise with the 1ms requirement (which I suspect you probably should be because your current monitor is a 60Hz one, so 1ms response time is pretty much wasted there) there's the Asus PG27UQ and the Acer Predator X27. They're both 27" 4K 144Hz IPS panels with 384-zone local dimming backlighting, which means they do offer actual HDR. Both of them are priced around $2000-$2500. There's also the Acer XV273K, which is fake HDR only, but it does offer 1ms response on paper via backlight strobing (backlight strobing is terrible though, don't use it). It's around $1000. None of these have HDMI out, of course.

In closing I don't at all understand the purpose of the wacky combination of requirements at all - they're mostly at direct odds with each other. Maybe I could offer a better recommendation if I understood better what it is you're trying to accomplish and why you need all of these things.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Feb 17, 2019

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Nvidia cards driving hard for multi monitor is unfortunately a known/ old issue that they periodically"fix"

Nvidia card owner w multi monitor setup including different refresh rates ama

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I just think layman’s look at the features being offered by TV manufacturers (HDR + local dimming + 144hz) and assume there’s an abundance of similarly specced monitors.

God I wish.

Acceptableloss
May 2, 2011

Numerous, effective and tenacious: We must remember to hire them next time....oh, nevermind.
I just built this new gaming computer. As the moment I have a single basic 1920 x 1080 monitor at the moment, but I'd like to get a second monitor in the near future and I'm looking for recommendations.

I'd like to get something higher resolution since I think my graphics card could handle it, but I'm not sure what to get and I don't want to spend a fortune. Would it be worth shopping for a monitor that is freesync compatible and what resolution should I look for?

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($93.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: Patriot - Viper 4 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($57.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GAMING X Video Card (Purchased For $128.55)
Case: Fractal Design - Focus G ATX Mid Tower Case ($62.27 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.89 @ OutletPC)

EDIT: I found this one. Seems like it might work, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. Is this a terrible idea?
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824160315

Acceptableloss fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 17, 2019

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

TheFluff posted:

HDMI out? You mean like, pass through? What is the point of that? I don't know if that is a thing that exists on any 4K monitor.

Disregarding that though, the combination of other requirements (assuming you actually want real HDR and not just "accepts 10-bit wide gamut input") make for an impossible combination. 1ms response time requires either a TN panel, which excludes HDR because nobody in their right mind would manufacture something like that, or an IPS panel with backlight strobing, which excludes HDR because the strobing reduces the achievable peak brightness. You can't have actual HDR and an 1ms response time in the same monitor, is what I'm saying.

If you are willing to compromise with the 1ms requirement (which I suspect you probably should be because your current monitor is a 60Hz one, so 1ms response time is pretty much wasted there) there's the Asus PG27UQ and the Acer Predator X27. They're both 27" 4K 144Hz IPS panels with 384-zone local dimming backlighting, which means they do offer actual HDR. Both of them are priced around $2000-$2500. There's also the Acer XV273K, which is fake HDR only, but it does offer 1ms response on paper via backlight strobing (backlight strobing is terrible though, don't use it). It's around $1000. None of these have HDMI out, of course.

In closing I don't at all understand the purpose of the wacky combination of requirements at all - they're mostly at direct odds with each other. Maybe I could offer a better recommendation if I understood better what it is you're trying to accomplish and why you need all of these things.

I appreciate the information. Although once again to state: A big part of what I want out of a monitor is ease of recording footage for fighting games as that's part of my job. 1ms response time on 60hz might not be a big deal in other videogames, but fighting games require more split second timing than any other genre and its 100% utterly key. HDMI out is so I can feed directly into the capture card to record, as doing things the "normal" way of capture through a console also introduces lag into the setup which I can't afford to have as I am playing.

I am lacking in knowledge when it comes to monitor and I was not aware that 1ms response time and HDR are basically mutually exclusive which I find a bit unfortunate. Just looking to future proof for both the work end of stuff and my personal play on PC but I guess one monitor won't be able to do both.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
To be clear, 1ms means nothing anywhere. It means the panel is TN, that's all it means, that's all it's ever meant. It has never in any way been an indicator of either how fast the response time on a panel is, or how much aggregate input lag a monitor has.

That said, I'm pretty sure there is not now and will never be a monitor that really does what you're looking for. You're definitely going to need multiple devices to get something with video out one one side and a good PC monitor on the other.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

Evil Canadian posted:

Hey fellow FGC guy, unfortunately that monitor doesn't exist and I don't think there ever was any successor to the RL2460HT. So I don't think you have an upgrade path from that monitor.

I think your best bet is to get a Leo Bodnar Lag Tester and experiment with a bunch of 4k monitors + capture card combinations and see which combo would have the least amount of input lag. Once you get the monitor picked out, I think this would become more of a capture card question rather than a monitor question. You'd have to look into which capture cards have passthroughs that don't introduce too much input lag.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
You can get zero input lag (which is absolutely not the same as a panel response time) with a G-sync monitor, but G-Sync only works over DisplayPort. I would also attempt to tackle the problem of getting game output to both a monitor and a capture device in some other place than the monitor, but I don't know if there's something specific here that I don't get.

As far as response time goes, if you have no signal processing delay on the monitor side (like in the case with G-sync), then the monitor refresh rate is the statistic you want to improve, not the panel response time. Provided you're looking for shortest possible delay between controller input and visible change on the monitor, that is. Again, there might be something I'm missing here.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I would think an HDMI splitter would be a good device to feed a monitor and a capture card simultaneously but I admit I don't know if they introduce any lag since I assumed they were passive but I'm not actually sure of that.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

TheFluff posted:

You can get zero input lag (which is absolutely not the same as a panel response time) with a G-sync monitor, but G-Sync only works over DisplayPort. I would also attempt to tackle the problem of getting game output to both a monitor and a capture device in some other place than the monitor, but I don't know if there's something specific here that I don't get.

As far as response time goes, if you have no signal processing delay on the monitor side (like in the case with G-sync), then the monitor refresh rate is the statistic you want to improve, not the panel response time. Provided you're looking for shortest possible delay between controller input and visible change on the monitor, that is. Again, there might be something I'm missing here.

How does gsync get you zero input lag? It still yeah takes time for the monitor to update its pixels to show the next frame once it receives it. Potentially a very long time, if the monitor sucks or has to do some upscaling or whatever

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

VostokProgram posted:

How does gsync get you zero input lag? It still yeah takes time for the monitor to update its pixels to show the next frame once it receives it. Potentially a very long time, if the monitor sucks or has to do some upscaling or whatever

Input lag is distinct from panel response time. Response time is essentially how long it takes for a pixel to change color once it receives an update signal. If this is slow, you get blurry motion, smearing or ghosting. The number stated in monitor spec sheets is an average that's usually not very meaningful, since the actual pixel color change time varies wildly depending on the starting and ending colors of the transition - for example, on VA panels switching a pixel from bright grey to black can be quite fast (5-ish ms) but switching from black to a dark gray can take well over 30ms. That's why people say VA panels suffer from smearing and ghosting in dark areas. Even a 240Hz TN panel with a specsheet response time of 1ms like the Asus PG258Q can have certain gray-to-gray transition times that take closer to 10ms. So, yeah, like K8.0 said, it's a meaningless number and you shouldn't look at it.

Input lag on the other hand is the time it takes between the monitor receiving data and the pixel color change starting. This is also known as signal processing delay. It's zero - or practically zero, usually well below 1ms - for G-sync (but not Freesync) displays, which is a big selling point for some applications.

These two are very hard to measure independently of each other (you basically need an oscilloscope at the very least), but some reviewers do it (read: TFTCentral). See for example http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/response_time.htm

In conclusion, if you want low latency between controller input and monitor update, you should get G-sync and you should get high refresh rate. Panel response time is far less important, and if you do care about it you need to read some very technical reviews, not look at spec sheets. Personally though (and this is something of a hot take that I know there are many people who disagree strongly with me about), I think a lot of obsession about input lag is pure audiophile-style placebo chasing that would be impossible to detect in a double blind test. There have been some small scale studies indicating that even competitive twitch-game players cannot reliably detect an input lag of less than 30-ish milliseconds (this is probably because the nervous system has a ton of input lag between intent and motor action, so the brain tries to cover that up to avoid distracting you).
If you have a monitor which does at least 120Hz, supports G-sync (or Freesync), and doesn't have some horrendous input lag, you've pretty much got it as good as any person who isn't a literal esports pro should bother getting it. Most of the input lag happens on the computer side (caused by V-sync buffering) and variable refresh rate avoids that, without the unpleasant tearing that disabling V-sync tends to cause. Maybe consoles games are different and locked to 60Hz without buffering though, I dunno.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 18, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
In a happy coincidence, TFTCentral just released an update to their review of the LG 34GK950F (34" 144Hz 1440p ultrawide with freesync), because a firmware update was recently released for it. That firmware update pretty much eliminated the signal processing lag it used to have (around ~10ms), so now the field looks like this:

The numbers shown here are an averaged-out comparison value - half the average response time (more specifically, half the average gray-to-gray transition time - the time it takes for a pixel to transition from one gray shade to another and back again), shown as a green bar, plus the input lag or signal processing lag, shown as a red bar. So, the conclusion here is that Freesync can now be just as good as G-sync, and that there's exceedingly few reasons to buy a "1ms response time" TN panel, because a good IPS panel is not really any meaningfully slower, while having all the usual IPS advantages in terms of perceived image quality. The only reason I can see is if you absolutely must have as little motion blur as possible and you're willing to sacrifice almost everything else for ~2ms shorter input lag (which you might if your income as an esports pro depends on it), because then a 240Hz TN still makes some sense.

e: a quick googling indicates 2ms "input lag" for the BenQ RL2460HT, but it seems like their measurement method checks for some combination of signals processing lag and response time. It's a 60Hz monitor though so scanout of an entire frame takes around 16ms.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 18, 2019

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

In EU 34GK950F are really hard to find now, and even then they are ~1300€. In comparison g-sync variant is barely more expensive and easily available. As per tftcentral suggestion: g-sync version is a good pick only if you own low to mid tier nVidia card.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

alex314 posted:

As per tftcentral suggestion: g-sync version is a good pick only if you own low to mid tier nVidia card.

i would say thats only good advice depending on how frequently you plan on upgrading your video card, since one presumably will have a monitor for quite some time

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Then Freesync is even better choice because of DP 1.4 and HDMI 2.0. Now if only someone made one in Dell U series business look it would be amazing.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Yeah, the 34GK950G seems completely pointless now. Worse refresh rate, no 10-bit color, no sRGB emulation mode and no blur reduction mode (as bad as it might be, some people might still want it). I guess it might have very slightly faster response time? And it's got a higher MSRP.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Evil Canadian posted:

I appreciate the information. Although once again to state: A big part of what I want out of a monitor is ease of recording footage for fighting games as that's part of my job. 1ms response time on 60hz might not be a big deal in other videogames, but fighting games require more split second timing than any other genre and its 100% utterly key. HDMI out is so I can feed directly into the capture card to record, as doing things the "normal" way of capture through a console also introduces lag into the setup which I can't afford to have as I am playing.

I am lacking in knowledge when it comes to monitor and I was not aware that 1ms response time and HDR are basically mutually exclusive which I find a bit unfortunate. Just looking to future proof for both the work end of stuff and my personal play on PC but I guess one monitor won't be able to do both.

Returning to this (and I apologizing for all these addle-brained posts): it sounds to me like what you really want is high refresh rate with low input lag and preferably fast response time if you can get it, just like other twitch gamers do. You also want low latency output to an external capture card. What is your video source, though? If I'm understanding you correctly, it's probably a console, and probably with HDMI out only?

The way I see it, the HDMI out requirement isn't really necessary - you can just pick up any old powered HDMI splitter and it shouldn't introduce any measurable amount of lag, as far as I know. Getting high refresh rate, 4K, HDR and low input lag though is hilariously expensive right now (in fact barely achievable at all, even the $2500 monitors aren't exactly great options in some ways) and also absolutely requires DisplayPort 1.4, so that's probably not an option for you. You can get 1440p 144Hz without HDR with extremely low lag though, and it's not even all that expensive, but if you want to get really low input lag you most likely need both variable refresh rate support (G-sync or Freesync, which most likely means DisplayPort is required - dunno if any consoles support AMD's proprietary Freesync-over-HDMI extension, and I'm not sure if there's anything commercially available whatsoever that supports HDMI 2.1 VRR yet) and no scaling on the monitor side (which means the console must be able to output 1440p natively).

It's complicated, is what I'm saying, and the monitor you want probably doesn't exist (at least not yet). You can probably get to at least 80% of that monitor, though, but again it'd help if I knew more about your setup (which console, capture card, etc). I'm also not sure if I understand the need for low latency to the capture card - is there something external that needs to be synchronized between monitor and capture?

Again, maybe there's something really obvious to you here that I'm not seeing which goes contrary to the usual conventional wisdom - if so please don't take this well-meaning advice the wrong way; I'd be happy to learn more about your use case.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Feb 18, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

TheFluff posted:

In a happy coincidence, TFTCentral just released an update to their review of the LG 34GK950F (34" 144Hz 1440p ultrawide with freesync), because a firmware update was recently released for it. That firmware update pretty much eliminated the signal processing lag it used to have (around ~10ms), so now the field looks like this:

Oh no, the Philips JEW isn't doing that great :(

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
That is fantastic loving news on the 34GK950F. I almost pulled the trigger again on the 3418DW, but the LG or any other manufacturer using its panel will definitely be my next monitor.

EDIT: Also, input lag is super noticeable if you play fighting games. The most practical test for his use case is a Leo Bodnar tester, which tests for input lag at 60 Hz with vsync on. (which 99% of fighting games are).

So Evil Canadian:

The only website that tests these on a big enough scale is displaylag.com. Other review sites have different methodology and they will likely be testing input lag based on refresh rates > 60Hz (usually the highest refresh rate or the average across its range). You'll have to read each review and hopefully they have their methodology listed so you know what you're comparing. BlurBusters and TFTCentral is good for these, but they don't usually focus on 60Hz with Vsync testing.

I think the best way to go about it is to solve one part of your use case, which is to be able to play at 4k60 and record 4k60 without much input lag.

For that, you'd have to research a good monitor that has low input lag at 4k 60Hz on HDMI (going to assume quite a bit of the playing/recording will be from consoles). This can be a monitor that actually does higher refresh rates via DisplayPort, but make sure to get one that does well input-lag wise @ 60Hz with HDMI specifically for fighting games. The tricky part here is that this likely won't be the focus of the testing for most review sites, so this information may not be available other than DisplayLag.com or someone on the BlurBuster forums testing it themselves.

Then pair this up with something that doesn't introduce more input lag like a good HDMI splitter or a good capture card with a passthrough that doesn't introduce much input lag.

Constellation I fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Feb 18, 2019

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Y'all are fans of the AW3418DW then? I'm thinking about picking one up when I see one at a good price. I'm currently running two decade-old 24" 1080p panels but I'd like to swap one out.

I'm running a 970 Ti in a system that was pretty solid 3-4 years ago, and I'm well aware it might chug trying to do anything full screen with it, but I haven't been doing anything terribly twitchy lately and I'm well on my way to saving up for a new system. Am I good if I get an AW3418DW sooner and build the PC later, or is it going to be a real chore to use until I get the new PC purchased and built?

Edit: Oh hey, speak of the devil.

Meldonox fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Feb 18, 2019

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
There’s no such thing as a USB-C monitor supporting G-Sync right now right? I know there’s a few monitors with ultrawide and FreeSync with USB-C but not G Sync. I’m considering dropping my 34” LG for a new monitor so I can support charging and everything on a MacBook Air or Pro off USB-C / Thunderbolt 3 without buying a separate power adapter just for it. Apple is supposedly trying to put out some 6K monstrosity monitor later this year but because I don’t want to try to push all those pixels it’s a no-go for me.

Meldonox posted:

I'm running a 970 Ti in a system that was pretty solid 3-4 years ago, and I'm well aware it might chug trying to do anything full screen with it, but I haven't been doing anything terribly twitchy lately and I'm well on my way to saving up for a new system. Am I good if I get an AW3418DW sooner and build the PC later, or is it going to be a real chore to use until I get the new PC purchased and built?
I ran 3440x1440 off a 970 Ti for a couple years and I was ok but I had to compromise in a few cases going with 2560x1080 instead of 3440x1440 playing Witcher 3 specifically. I upgraded to a 1080 Ti during the GPU overpricing dilemma the other year and while $800 for a GPU stung I think a 1080 would be sufficient for most people on a 34” Ultrawide. I can afford it by mind is still boggling at paying nearly $2k for the privilege of 34” ultrawide gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Meldonox posted:

Y'all are fans of the AW3418DW then? I'm thinking about picking one up when I see one at a good price. I'm currently running two decade-old 24" 1080p panels but I'd like to swap one out.

Edit: Oh hey, speak of the devil.

Just get it if its a good price for you. You can get by on low-medium settings on a lot of games and in situations with the FPS being below 60 gsync will help a lot.