Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I've had the Dell S2716DG (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0149QBOF0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1) coming up for two years now. Haven't had any issues running off of the DP with my Windows Gaming machine.

I just got a new Mac Mini for home development work which I have hooked up to its HDMI port directly. I'm running into really weird issues upon start up, or even switching the inputs over to HDMI, where it's basically not picking up the signal. I even unplug the HDMI and plug it back in, but it still acts like there's nothing connected.

Sometimes, I'll restart the Mac Mini and I'll see the Mac icon and its loading, and basically as it's transitioning from the loading screen to the login screen, it loses its "connection" and it's blank. This happens about half of the time, which is super frustrating, because when it works the screen flickers momentarily and then is okay.

Several things for this:

- I might have bad output from the Mac Mini but I haven't been able to hook it up to a different monitor so I can't verify this isn't the issue.
- I've swapped out HDMI cables a couple times, so it's not a bad cable.
- My windows machine also runs into issues, sometimes, when swapping back to the DP - but not nearly as often as the Mini.
- I've disabled the deep sleep functionality on the monitor

Is anyone else aware of these types of issues with the monitor? Some of the reviews on Amazon list out what I'm also seeing, but I'm not sure if those are users who are getting hung up in the deep sleep functionality.

Doh004 fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jul 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The mac mini might be forcing HDCP 2.2 which the dell doesn't support.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Powershift posted:

The mac mini might be forcing HDCP 2.2 which the dell doesn't support.

Went digging around this, looks like the first revision of this monitor had this problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/4tri7e/hdcp_compliance/

I'll check what revision I have when I get home...

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Doh004 posted:

Went digging around this, looks like the first revision of this monitor had this problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/4tri7e/hdcp_compliance/

I'll check what revision I have when I get home...

I have the 04 revision which should be fine for HDCP compliance so I don't think that's it?

Also, I have the S2716DG not S2716DGR.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

K8.0 posted:

Nixeus EDG-27S (v2 is fine, smaller bezel probably slightly more backlight bleed) at $400.

The only gaming options that make sense price wise are 1080p/60hz/IPS monitors like you already have, 1080p/240hz/TN monitors if you are an incredibly serious CSGO/Overwatch player, 1440p/144hz/IPS monitors, and if you want to spend like twice as much for very little benefit, 1440/144/IPS ultrawides. The Nixeus is the best value among them. The stand is trash and the OSD isn't great, but you're looking at least $100 more to one with a better stand/OSD, and it will probably have actually slightly worse gaming performance than the Nixeus.

I ended up buying the Nixeus and am getting ready to set it up. Re: potential issues with 60Hz and 144Hz from the same GPU, if that is a potential issue, could it be resolved by turning off the 6 lower end monitors when gaming? I could set all 3 to 60Hz for general use, then just switch the nice one to 144Hz and turn off the other 2 when needed.

E: fuuuuck. I had bought that AmazonBasics VESA mount someone linked earlier, so that I could more easily adjust my 2 1080p monitors on the sides of my new 1440p monitor.

And wouldn't you know it, the arms aren't wide enough to place the monitors on the sides of the middle one, and they don't go high enough to have them at the upper corners.

God drat.

Annath fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 19, 2019

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Welp, ordered the LG 38GL950G-B 37,5" 3840x1600 G-sync monitor. 1704€ including 24% VAT and 14€ shipping. Price without tax was around 1350€ which is not too bad. Amazon.de says release date is 30.7.2019 and estimated shipping time is 1-2 days to Finland. Sweet.

Regular 60Hz monitor from LG was 950€ with shipping. This 144Hz is 754€ more expensive, but you get over double the hz for under double the price, which is pretty good!

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jul 19, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Your monitor is worth more than my car :smith:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Powershift posted:

Your monitor is worth more than my car :smith:

I do not own it yet, and yes it is more expensive than my car too. Still it is cheaper than those new HDR1000 200Hz 35" G-sync panels which are like 2500-3000€/piece.

I bought my previous monitor in 2008 so I've had 11 years to get an education, a job and save money for a new one.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Annath posted:

I ended up buying the Nixeus and am getting ready to set it up. Re: potential issues with 60Hz and 144Hz from the same GPU, if that is a potential issue, could it be resolved by turning off the 6 lower end monitors when gaming? I could set all 3 to 60Hz for general use, then just switch the nice one to 144Hz and turn off the other 2 when needed.

E: fuuuuck. I had bought that AmazonBasics VESA mount someone linked earlier, so that I could more easily adjust my 2 1080p monitors on the sides of my new 1440p monitor.

And wouldn't you know it, the arms aren't wide enough to place the monitors on the sides of the middle one, and they don't go high enough to have them at the upper corners.

God drat.

You weren’t able to mount the Nexus Monitor?

I’m not following the explanation behind it. And on another note - if I buy the Nixeus do I need to do anything special? Or just plug in DisplayPort, set the refresh to 144hz and play games on my i5/1070?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 19, 2019

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I have 2 older monitors.

I bought a 2 armed VESA mount to mount them on.

The intent was to have them on the VESA mounts so they could be swung out to the side of the Nixeus, which would be in the middle.

However, when I mounted the 2 older monitors, while they were solidly mounted and quite adjustable, the maximum width of the arms was not far enough apart to allow the Nixeus to sit in the middle without obscuring parts of the 2 other monitors.

In the picture above, the Nixeus is in the middle, and is obscuring parts of the other 2 screens.

I suppose I could mount the Nixeus on one of the VESA mount arms, but I'm not sure what purpose that would really serve.

As far as setting up the Nixeus, I just plugged in the Displayport and set it to 144Hz.

One thing I noticed is that while GeForce Experience recognizes the 1440p resolution, it doesn't seem to recognize the 144Hz refresh rate. If I set a game's graphics setting through GeForce Experience, it defaults to 60Hz. If I set the graphics inside the game itself, the option for 144Hz is available, but then GeForce Experience lists the game's resolution as a blank if you view the settings in its list.

Annath fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 19, 2019

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Annath posted:

I have 2 older monitors.

I bought a 2 armed VESA mount to mount them on.

The intent was to have them on the VESA mounts so they could be swung out to the side of the Nixeus, which would be in the middle.

However, when I mounted the 2 older monitors, while they were solidly mounted and quite adjustable, the maximum width of the arms was not far enough apart to allow the Nixeus to sit in the middle without obscuring parts of the 2 other monitors.

In the picture above, the Nixeus is in the middle, and is obscuring parts of the other 2 screens.

I suppose I could mount the Nixeus on one of the VESA mount arms, but I'm not sure what purpose that would really serve.

Rotate the two side monitors 90 degrees?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Actuarial Fables posted:

Rotate the two side monitors 90 degrees?

A. I don't play enough Ikaruga to make that worthwhile

B. I already disassembled the mount :v:

Turns out I was able to fit all 3 monitors on my desk with their stock stands.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Thanatosian posted:

One of my coworkers just bought one of these. It's IPS panels, but I've heard that's not as big of a deal these days. If I had substantially more money than sense, would that be a good buy?

that's a VA monitor, not IPS. VA has problems with motion blurring so they aren't the best choice for gaming, but they do have really great contrast ratios for movie content (which doesn't have motion >30 fps anyway).

Dell does make an IPS version of that but it maxes out at 60 Hz, it's marketed as a productivity monitor. The "premium" gaming ultrawides at the moment are the Dell AW3418DW, Acer X34p, or the new LG 38GL950G.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

The "premium" gaming ultrawides at the moment are the Dell AW3418DW, Acer X34p, or the new LG 38GL950G.

I'm looking at making the plunge to UW. Any appreciable differences between AW3418DW and Acer X34p?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
They use the exact same panel, Dell has better warranty/service but I found the X34 for $40 cheaper so I took that. If they are the same price atm the Alienware is prob the safer bet. The LGs are great choices too if you see one at a good price.

I have a 34P that’ll do 120hz but I just left it at 110 since I’ve seen some mention of flickering at 120 (for both monitors, it’s a panel related thing but not all) and frankly my eyes are lovely and I don’t see the difference anyway.

If you are in US + have a micro center nearby I highly recommend that, they have both models and they’ll price match whatever, easier to exchange if there’s panel damage or whatever else

Mazz fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jul 20, 2019

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Paul MaudDib posted:

The "premium" gaming ultrawides at the moment are the Dell AW3418DW, Acer X34p, or the new LG 38GL950G.

I would think the lg 34gk950f belongs on that list as well -- 144hz vs. 120hz for the Alienware or the Acer, and freesync.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

I just upgraded a computer hooked up to an AW3418DW that couldn't go above 100hz from a 970 to a 2080 and now it can do 120 hz without issue.

If you own one and wrote off getting overclocked refresh rates, it may be worth double checking if you get a new GPU.

We'll see if it sticks around.

eames
May 9, 2009

did you get a new display port cable?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
970 can only do DP 1.2 which only has enough bandwidth for 100hz. That's all.

Burno
Aug 6, 2012

eames posted:

did you get a new display port cable?

Same setup.

K8.0 posted:

970 can only do DP 1.2 which only has enough bandwidth for 100hz. That's all.

There was DP update for the 970 that supposedly made it compatible with DP 1.3 and 1.4, which was suggested everywhere I looked for info on getting it working.
I did have that applied, but I guess that fundamentally you will have better luck with a real DP 1.3/1.4 card.

Huskers
May 9, 2009

Mazz posted:

They use the exact same panel, Dell has better warranty/service but I found the X34 for $40 cheaper so I took that. If they are the same price atm the Alienware is prob the safer bet. The LGs are great choices too if you see one at a good price.

I have a 34P that’ll do 120hz but I just left it at 110 since I’ve seen some mention of flickering at 120 (for both monitors, it’s a panel related thing but not all) and frankly my eyes are lovely and I don’t see the difference anyway.

If you are in US + have a micro center nearby I highly recommend that, they have both models and they’ll price match whatever, easier to exchange if there’s panel damage or whatever else

Thanks, unfortunately no microcenter near me.

I'm not in a huge rush. I'll probably setup some price alerts for all 3 and go from there.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Burno posted:

There was DP update for the 970 that supposedly made it compatible with DP 1.3 and 1.4, which was suggested everywhere I looked for info on getting it working.
I did have that applied, but I guess that fundamentally you will have better luck with a real DP 1.3/1.4 card.

The firmware update was just to fix bugs because apparently Nvidia didn't implement something properly and newer DP monitors would fail to be recognized by the GPU. It doesn't make the GPU use a newer version of DP, it just makes it get the monitor to fallback to 1.2 properly.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

wait so i'm not getting 120+ frames in overwatch? i have a 970 hooked to a predator xb1. overwatch says it is running at over 100 frames..?

fakedit: so looking up on google it says"The older DisplayPort 1.2 is capable of 3840×2160, 4K, at 60 Hz; or 1080p resolution at 144Hz "

if i'm running overwatch in window mode but the actual screen resolution is 1440p, does it take into account the entire monitor's size or just the window?

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Strong Sauce posted:

wait so i'm not getting 120+ frames in overwatch? i have a 970 hooked to a predator xb1. overwatch says it is running at over 100 frames..?

fakedit: so looking up on google it says"The older DisplayPort 1.2 is capable of 3840×2160, 4K, at 60 Hz; or 1080p resolution at 144Hz "

if i'm running overwatch in window mode but the actual screen resolution is 1440p, does it take into account the entire monitor's size or just the window?

the game is running that fast, but your display only displays 100 of them.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah your refresh rate is going to be 100hz. Also, since you're letting your framerate exceed your refresh rate, you aren't using gsync. I think OW is actually one of the games where you want to use the in-game limiter over RTSS, but google to be sure.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
At least according to the displayport 1.2 specification, it supports HBR2 mode with a bit over 17 gbps of bandwidth which is sufficient to carry 1080p/240 Hz or 1440p/165 Hz. The way to check is to see what the maximum refresh rate windows will allow you to set for the desktop (it should be there already but a lot of people forget to set it up from the default 60 Hz). If the desktop can be set to 144 Hz then you aren't limited to just 100.

FYI, I had a GTX 980 and a 144 Hz display and it worked perfectly fine, there is no such 100 Hz limit on the 900 series (Kepler couldn't do the full HBR2 bandwidth but Maxwell didn't have that limitation).

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

ughhhh posted:

Just bought a 2070s and saw that amazon is having some good monitor sales. Now i cant decide on what to buy so please help!

Pixio PX275h 27inch 1440p 95Hz IPS

VIOTEK GN27DB 27Inch Curved 1440p 144Hz VA

Acer ED323QUR 31.5 inch curved 1440p 144Hz VA

Currently have 2x 1080p 60hz monitors and have never worked with a curved monitor before. Still want to keep a dual monitor setup so that 31.5 inch size is scaring me off a bit too...

Wanted to follow up with this post to say that i ended up with the Pixio and 1440p was worth upgrading to. Managed to overclock the monitor to 100hz (gonna test with more) and the difference from 1080p 60hz is amazing. I am pretty sure my older monitors color calibration was off or something, but the Pixio just looks brighter and more vibrant and now my second monitor is looking really lackluster. Also didnt realize how large a 27inch monitor is compared to a 24inch.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Indiana_Krom posted:

At least according to the displayport 1.2 specification, it supports HBR2 mode with a bit over 17 gbps of bandwidth which is sufficient to carry 1080p/240 Hz or 1440p/165 Hz. The way to check is to see what the maximum refresh rate windows will allow you to set for the desktop (it should be there already but a lot of people forget to set it up from the default 60 Hz). If the desktop can be set to 144 Hz then you aren't limited to just 100.

FYI, I had a GTX 980 and a 144 Hz display and it worked perfectly fine, there is no such 100 Hz limit on the 900 series (Kepler couldn't do the full HBR2 bandwidth but Maxwell didn't have that limitation).

There's not enough bandwidth in DP 1.2 to go over 100hz on 1440 ultrawide, which the monitor he was talking about is. Any DP 1.2 GPU will not go over 100hz refresh rate on a 1440p ultrawide.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

K8.0 posted:

There's not enough bandwidth in DP 1.2 to go over 100hz on 1440 ultrawide, which the monitor he was talking about is. Any DP 1.2 GPU will not go over 100hz refresh rate on a 1440p ultrawide.

the XB1 series is just a widescreen. the one i have specifically is the 27" 1440 165hz monitor running at, 2560x1440.

i looked at my screen resolution panel in windows. says it is running 165hz. so hopefully it actually is refreshing that fast.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yeah I misread that, thought you also were using an ultrawide like the first guy.

The monitor and windows won't lie about the refresh rate.

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

I grabbed the Acer Nitro VG270UP on sale and it's really really good. No dead pixels, no backlight bleed or glow, no flickering which I've read a bunch of people saying was an issue for them with the Innolux panel, and 144hz is insaneo.

I have Overdrive on Normal, FreeSync on and VRB off, which seems like the best combo, at least from the ufotest, and it's in sRGB mode.

The only thing I'm not 100% happy with is that colours are a bit light/faded/washed out compared to my U3014 next to it, which is also in sRGB, albeit with an icc profile from tftcentral.

I was looking at a red just now that is really nice and saturated and "pops" on my U3014 but which looks quite dull on the Acer.

Anyone have any tips on getting it looking better without easy access to a hardware calibration tool? I can live with it if not as it's not terrible.

e: Turns out I'm extremely dumb and didn't have the U3014 in sRGB mode. Figured it out watching a TV show and noticing the skin tones being too red.

Jack the Lad fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jul 22, 2019

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
I'm putting together a new desktop, and I'm currently shopping for a monitor. I'm planning to do some gaming on it, but my budget is stretched fairly tight, so I'm looking for a cheap, decent-quality 1080P/60hz monitor that's available in the UK. Right now, I've picked out this:

Monitor: Asus VC239H 23.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor (£124.99 @ Amazon UK)

but this is the first time I've bought my own monitor, so I don't even know what I should be looking for in a monitor. The price is close to my upper limit, so I'm most interested in knowing if this model has any major problems I don't know about, and if there's any way to get similar quality at a lower price/better quality at the same price.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

I'd be surprised to find strong opinions on 1080p60 monitors, they're commodity items. Get an ips but buy whatever's cheap enough from a reasonably reputable brand.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jo Joestar posted:

I'm putting together a new desktop, and I'm currently shopping for a monitor. I'm planning to do some gaming on it, but my budget is stretched fairly tight, so I'm looking for a cheap, decent-quality 1080P/60hz monitor that's available in the UK. Right now, I've picked out this:

Monitor: Asus VC239H 23.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor (£124.99 @ Amazon UK)

but this is the first time I've bought my own monitor, so I don't even know what I should be looking for in a monitor. The price is close to my upper limit, so I'm most interested in knowing if this model has any major problems I don't know about, and if there's any way to get similar quality at a lower price/better quality at the same price.

If that's the upper limit of your price then I get it but I'd want a slightly smaller monitor for 1080p. Maybe a 20 or 22" at the most.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
24" is the "standard" size for 1080p at this point.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

If your budget is that tight, you should probably look at the second hand market. Just looking at sold listings on ebay.co.uk, a used 1440p freesync monitor could be within your price range.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013

ItBreathes posted:

I'd be surprised to find strong opinions on 1080p60 monitors, they're commodity items. Get an ips but buy whatever's cheap enough from a reasonably reputable brand.

VelociBacon posted:

If that's the upper limit of your price then I get it but I'd want a slightly smaller monitor for 1080p. Maybe a 20 or 22" at the most.

Paul MaudDib posted:

24" is the "standard" size for 1080p at this point.

Powershift posted:

If your budget is that tight, you should probably look at the second hand market. Just looking at sold listings on ebay.co.uk, a used 1440p freesync monitor could be within your price range.

Thanks for the advice! Shopping around for a smaller screen I've found the Dell SE2219H 22.0" 1920x1080 60 Hz Monitor (£79.99 @ Amazon UK), which reviews pretty well, comes from a good brand, and is 1/3rd cheaper than my first choice with, AFAICT, no major difference in specs apart from screen size. I'm used to gaming on a 17" laptop screen, so I don't mind having a slightly smaller than optimal screen.

Collecting in person isn't feasible for me, which did limit what I could find on Ebay in my price range, but I did find this 27" Samsung S27D850T 1440p for £150, which seems like a good deal, even if it's as much as I could possibly spend on a monitor right now. It is lacking freesync and a >60hz refresh rate, though.

Both look good to me, but my laptop is dying and I'm going to need a working computer quite soon, so I'm leaning towards the Dell as the safer option for now, which I can upgrade from later on.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe check your local gumtree for stuff and ask if they can deliver? unless you're on some weird island or something.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/computer-monitors/lg-29-ultra-wide-monitor-with-freesync/1347315240
https://www.gumtree.com/p/computer-monitors/dell-27-quot-1080p-ips-gaming-monitor-75hz-freesync-5ms-response-time-se2717h/1346545524

It's not like you can just add 50 quid down the line to make a monitor better. To upgrade you have to chunk the whole thing and pay full price for a replacement.

Just be careful with your words and payment plans if you're asking them to post it to you because they probably get daily scam emails offering paypal to ship it.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Well, while waiting for my processor and graphics card of choice to get back in-stock, I'm left with plenty of time to agonize over my options for monitors.

Here's what I know I want:

- Two monitors, one at 27 inches and the other at 24 inches
- The same resolution
- Excellent image quality
- IPS panels

Originally, I was convinced that I should go with two 4k monitors. That would maximize the image quality, and I had these two lined up:

- Dell Ultra HD 4K P2415Q 24-Inch
- Dell Ultrasharp U2718Q 27-Inch

Combined, those total up to $860, which is fine (I want to spend about $1k or less total on the monitors).

What's making me undecided is whether or not 1440p would satisfy me on image quality and whether or not a refresh rate above 60Hz is meaningful to me.

In terms of gaming, I'm really not worried about being above 60 FPS. I guess it would be nice to do that but I'm not going to make my decision on that. I've tried higher FPS gaming before on others' computers and it was cool but not that big of a deal, in my opinion.

But, what I've heard about refresh rate lately is that (1) it makes mouse cursor movement smoother and, more importantly, (2) it makes reading on the computer and the resultant scrolling smoother. Given that I'm doing those activities 90% of the time I'm using the computer, I wonder: is it really that big of a quality of life difference not including the gaming application? Because that could probably sell me on the idea of dropping down to 1440p.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

surf rock posted:

Well, while waiting for my processor and graphics card of choice to get back in-stock, I'm left with plenty of time to agonize over my options for monitors.

Here's what I know I want:

- Two monitors, one at 27 inches and the other at 24 inches
- The same resolution
- Excellent image quality
- IPS panels

Originally, I was convinced that I should go with two 4k monitors. That would maximize the image quality, and I had these two lined up:

- Dell Ultra HD 4K P2415Q 24-Inch
- Dell Ultrasharp U2718Q 27-Inch

Combined, those total up to $860, which is fine (I want to spend about $1k or less total on the monitors).

What's making me undecided is whether or not 1440p would satisfy me on image quality and whether or not a refresh rate above 60Hz is meaningful to me.

In terms of gaming, I'm really not worried about being above 60 FPS. I guess it would be nice to do that but I'm not going to make my decision on that. I've tried higher FPS gaming before on others' computers and it was cool but not that big of a deal, in my opinion.

But, what I've heard about refresh rate lately is that (1) it makes mouse cursor movement smoother and, more importantly, (2) it makes reading on the computer and the resultant scrolling smoother. Given that I'm doing those activities 90% of the time I'm using the computer, I wonder: is it really that big of a quality of life difference not including the gaming application? Because that could probably sell me on the idea of dropping down to 1440p.

You should get two 1440p 60fps IPS 24" monitors and just be done with it. 60hz->100hz makes a monumental difference in games, if you can't tell the difference gaming on a high refresh rate monitor you probably won't be super impressed with the benefits of high refresh rate monitors for reading/moving the cursor.