Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Statutory Ape posted:

i have some high refresh stuff and frankly, understanding what levels of brightness you actually need is probably a better place to start for eye fatigue

There's always flux and/or blue-light filtering eyewear, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
For gaming, any kind of gaming, or even anything with motion that will use it including just scrolling through text, a good high refresh rate monitor is a big upgrade. That said, especially for desktop use or even 2d games, the extra pixels of 4k is also really good. It's down to what you primarily use your PC for. Right now the monitor space is a bit tilted in favor of gaming monitors, because while prices have gone up on everything due to work from home, they've gone up more on productivity monitors than gaming monitors, but that's not necessarily enough to sway things. You're in sort of a borderline position, we'd probably need to hear more about your priorities to help you make a better choice.

It's completely normal for anything to look like trash when you run an LCD at a non-native resolution. You should not buy a TN monitor no matter what for your purposes. Gaming monitors are in a fairly good bang for your buck position right now, but if you're just going to look at youtube all day you don't need 144hz. 1440p won't be obsolete for a while, driving games at 4k is still extremely difficult, and most users haven't even moved on from 1080p yet. Your monitor will likely last you several GPUs, and dealing with getting 30 FPS whenever you do want to have to play a 3d game, or having to downscale to 1080p (newer Nvidia GPUs will let you do integer scaling, which makes it look a lot less bad) isn't great.

e - brightness is definitely the #1 concern for eye strain, but it's also easier on the eyes to track moving things at higher refresh rates.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 24, 2020

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

K8.0 posted:

For gaming, any kind of gaming, or even anything with motion that will use it including just scrolling through text, a good high refresh rate monitor is a big upgrade. That said, especially for desktop use or even 2d games, the extra pixels of 4k is also really good. It's down to what you primarily use your PC for. Right now the monitor space is a bit tilted in favor of gaming monitors, because while prices have gone up on everything due to work from home, they've gone up more on productivity monitors than gaming monitors, but that's not necessarily enough to sway things. You're in sort of a borderline position, we'd probably need to hear more about your priorities to help you make a better choice.

It's completely normal for anything to look like trash when you run an LCD at a non-native resolution. You should not buy a TN monitor no matter what for your purposes. Gaming monitors are in a fairly good bang for your buck position right now, but if you're just going to look at youtube all day you don't need 144hz. 1440p won't be obsolete for a while, driving games at 4k is still extremely difficult, and most users haven't even moved on from 1080p yet. Your monitor will likely last you several GPUs, and dealing with getting 30 FPS whenever you do want to have to play a 3d game, or having to downscale to 1080p (newer Nvidia GPUs will let you do integer scaling, which makes it look a lot less bad) isn't great.

e - brightness is definitely the #1 concern for eye strain, but it's also easier on the eyes to track moving things at higher refresh rates.

I don't really have any priorities, just general "looking good", preferably a pure upgrade over my 10 year old monitor so I am not thinking "X is better but Y is worse", but that might not be hard to accomplish. Like you mentioned, I am in sort of a borderline position, where the computer will be mostly internet browsing with some gaming, but I still want the gaming to look good. I just don't know if I would justify paying an extra $100 to shave 1ms of response time off like a competitive gamer would. I did not realize how important refresh rate was, so I think I will do as suggested and look for something 27 inch 1440p >60hz (does this matter if it is 120hz vs 144 or some other number?). I also did not even consider prices came up due to everyone buying stuff to work from home. How much did things go up? Is it substantial enough to try and wait it out a few months to see if prices come back down?

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 04:08 on May 24, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Anything that gets recommended here is going to be a big upgrade from a 10 year old 1080p TN monitor in every way, I wouldn't worry about that. The $370ish LG 27GL83A (which is all around generally the best buy among 27" 1440p high refresh rate monitors right now) is up maybe $25 from its low price, which isn't the kind of price increase I'd try to wait out. Some other monitors are up a lot more, if you wanted specific features or had a certain budget with particular goals it might be worth waiting.

The main problem with 4k for you is that (as you've already seen) it's not going to be easy for you to get playable framerates in 3d games. If you're willing to work around that, or commit to spending a solid amount of money on GPUs going forward, it's a reasonable option. You could just buy another 1080p monitor, but that's kinda meh and also that's the monitor class most inflated by WFH. You could buy 1440p 60hz, but those monitors just aren't a spectacular deal compared to to gaming monitors if you put it to almost any use. Fast pixel response is nice, high refresh is nice, and VRR (Freesync/Gsync) is nice. Unfortunately you can't really have it all yet, we're still a year or two away from good 4k gaming monitors at hopefully semi-reasonable prices.

You can wait a bit and get more feedback, there are a lot of people who have made similar decisions to you and will have various input.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Saw this on slickdeals... seems like a pretty good deal.

I'm not sure if it's the same as the LG IPS panel, but it is IPS 1MS 165hz.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14073554-hp-omen-gaming-27in-ips-led-qhd-freesync-monitor-shadow-black-399?src=frontpage

This is supposedly the same screen as the LG.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 24, 2020

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

VulgarandStupid posted:

Saw this on slickdeals... seems like a pretty good deal.

I'm not sure if it's the same as the LG IPS panel, but it is IPS 1MS 165hz.

https://slickdeals.net/f/14073554-hp-omen-gaming-27in-ips-led-qhd-freesync-monitor-shadow-black-399?src=frontpage

This is supposedly the same screen as the LG.

There is a best buy 2 miles from my house, so I could always pick one of these up. Any consensus if these are good?

Edit: Not in stock, would be shipped and arrive in 4 days.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 24, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Pain of Mind posted:

There is a best buy 2 miles from my house, so I could always pick one of these up. Any consensus if these are good?

Edit: Not in stock, would be shipped and arrive in 4 days.

They're brand new and do use a Nano IPS panel. It might not be *exactly* the panel that's in the 27GL83A-B, but it's going to be close enough to likely not matter.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I mean it seems like very few people are actually able to get the LG’s at this point. Best Buy has a great return policy so why not give it a shot?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004

VulgarandStupid posted:

I mean it seems like very few people are actually able to get the LG’s at this point. Best Buy has a great return policy so why not give it a shot?

Yea, I just ordered it with the same thought :toot:. Thanks for the advice all.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

If I get a dead pixel or some other issue out of the box will best buy replace it? I don't normally but replacement plans but ive never bought anything this expensive from best buy before.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Dracula Factory posted:

If I get a dead pixel or some other issue out of the box will best buy replace it? I don't normally but replacement plans but ive never bought anything this expensive from best buy before.

Yes, in my experience from the last year they’re so keen on getting business and keeping it while competitive against amazon and Newegg that they’ll give you a blowie at the front desk if you as nicely enough and say “well amazon will do it without a charge with prime”

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I ordered a monitor 2-3 weeks ago from Best Buy and it arrived quickly and in good shape.

Last week I ordered a videocard from them and am currently in delayed delivery hell with them, and accessing customer service is a nightmare.

Based on my own recent experience I'd say they can be a mixed bag.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

if you do want that '83, move to Norway. we've got switches too.

both kinds.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
What's the difference between the thread favorite LG 27GL850-B and the LG 27GN850-B, which is actually in stock for $450 at Best Buy? It was recommended to me when I added that HP Omen to my cart.

Edit: From further on in the SlickDeals thread.

Slickdeals Poster posted:

The 27GN850-B takes the Nano IPS panel from the 27GL850-B and puts it into the cheaper body of the 27GL83A.

Double Edit: Nevermind, thread favorite is the 27GL83A I think. These model numbers are ridiculous.

bgreman fucked around with this message at 09:20 on May 24, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

bgreman posted:

These model numbers are ridiculous.

Acer's are worse. Eventually they'll make a SKU with all 26 letters of the alphabet.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I thought Samsung was the worst. I'm pretty sure naming our TV would summon a demon.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Acer is by far the worst. They sell all kinds of monitors with nearly identical names, and then even more versions with ACTUALLY identical names, but a suffix that is often abbreviated or omitted. For example, there's the VG271, the VG271U, the VG271P, the VG271UP, the VG271 Pbmiipx, the VG271U Pbmiipx, and probably more, some of which are probably the same monitor, but others are very different and may be 1080p vs 1440p or TN vs IPS.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Black Griffon posted:

I thought Samsung was the worst. I'm pretty sure naming our TV would summon a demon.

gently caress i laughed p hard at this

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I ordered a cheap Iiyama to replace a TV I was using as a third monitor. It was broken on arrival so I had to RMA it, a process that ended up taking four weeks from the day I originally placed the order to me having a working replacement. I don't think I've ever so so relived to have a monitor just turn on!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

K8.0 posted:

Acer is by far the worst. They sell all kinds of monitors with nearly identical names, and then even more versions with ACTUALLY identical names, but a suffix that is often abbreviated or omitted. For example, there's the VG271, the VG271U, the VG271P, the VG271UP, the VG271 Pbmiipx, the VG271U Pbmiipx, and probably more, some of which are probably the same monitor, but others are very different and may be 1080p vs 1440p or TN vs IPS.

It really is remarkably bad. I'm really happy with the XF270HUA I bought a few weeks ago, but searching for information on it ends up being a pain in the rear end because of their bizarre nomenclature. Even the handbook for the monitor says XF270HU on the front, which corresponds to several different monitors, including at least one TN display.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I've got an Acer X35 coming in this week. I currently have a bmiprz 27", which obviously doesn't have HDR. I use a ColorMunki with DisplayCAL to generate an ICC profile - my question is, do I need to create separate profiles for HDR/SDR? I'm not a professional photographer or anything but I generally prefer a calibrated image. Is Windows smart enough to switch profiles based on being in SDR/HDR mode (lol, I'm going to guess 'no')?

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

Black Griffon posted:

well it sounds like the 850 is entirely pointless then. Thanks!

And the 83 has been ordered. Thanks, friends.

Hey Eurogoon friend, so you guys in Norway can buy the 83? drat in Switzerland it's not available at ALL. I'm going to order it from amazon.de I guess.

EDIT: Whelp... they don't actually ship to Switzerland guess I can't get this monitor in Switzerland after all. What would be the next best alternative?

Le0 fucked around with this message at 08:36 on May 25, 2020

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Le0 posted:

Hey Eurogoon friend, so you guys in Norway can buy the 83? drat in Switzerland it's not available at ALL. I'm going to order it from amazon.de I guess.

EDIT: Whelp... they don't actually ship to Switzerland guess I can't get this monitor in Switzerland after all. What would be the next best alternative?

LG 27GL850, it's functionally the same but more expensive. I think Caseking.de ships to all sorts of weird places. Other than that there's a few cheaper Acer monitors that do mostly the same thing but slightly less well if you want to save some money. I think the XV272UP makes the most sense.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Le0 posted:

I guess we either have blessedly few gamers (inshallah) or blessed high supply. covid hasn't stripped digital shelves here the same way it's done the US and such, I feel.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Yesterday my second monitor (from ~2008) seems to have stopped working. Windows detects there's a monitor connected in that it shows it in the settings, but it says "Didn't detect another display" when I hit Detect. There's also nothing displayed. I plugged it directly into a laptop too with the same results. Is this a common way to die? Also tried VGA instead of HDMI.

Assuming I need another, I'd really not like to spend much since a second monitor is just a luxury. I saw above that productivity monitors have increased in price more than gaming, but $350-400 for a gaming monitor is too much. This one is just $110 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-24-ips-led-fhd-freesync-monitor-black/6362423.p?skuId=6362423 for 24" IPS 75hz.

I setup alerts for the AOC 24G2 and ASUS VP249QGR as well since those are 144hz for $50-70 more and I'm not in a huge rush I guess.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

What do you do with your system and what GPU do you have?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005

K8.0 posted:

What do you do with your system and what GPU do you have?

My main monitor is an XB271HU. I game and have a 1070.

Got an alert that the AOC 24G2 is back in stock at $179 ($193 after tax). If I hesitate at all it's probably gone. Just don't know if 144hz on a second monitor is worth the extra ~70.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 25, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Not at all. Either go with a monitor like the one you linked, or a cheap 4k monitor if you want more pixels.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
I ended up getting that cheap LG but got the open box excellent one for $100 before tax. The new one sold out.

edit: order was canceled, open box item was gone. New version showed as in stock so bought that now. We'll see.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 26, 2020

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Argona posted:

I think I might just wait for the aforementioned "real good" LG 27GL850 to come in stock at my microcenter, I called them and they mentioned a first responder discount, which I would be able to use and I dont mind waiting for a gpu refresh and spending a bit more since its all trumpbux anyway.
Thanks for the help everyone!

I ended up springing for that hp omen offer since it has the same panel, but then the 27GL83A was in stock, so i also got that. Hopefully they both come in around the same time so i can try both of them at the same time.

e: actually, does anyone have experience with how long it takes for an amazon preorder to turn into a an actual order? im doubting that the timing will match so I'll probably just end up returning the omen after a few trial days

Argona fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 26, 2020

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Argona posted:

I ended up springing for that hp omen offer since it has the same panel, but then the 27GL83A was in stock, so i also got that. Hopefully they both come in around the same time so i can try both of them at the same time.

e: actually, does anyone have experience with how long it takes for an amazon preorder to turn into a an actual order? im doubting that the timing will match so I'll probably just end up returning the omen after a few trial days

It really depends on what they have for stock and what they're quoted to get it to you by. Also remember that Amazon is currently prioritizing essential items for delivery over things like electronics. It took roughly a week since I ordered my 27GL83A to arrive at my door.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

8-bit Miniboss posted:

It really depends on what they have for stock and what they're quoted to get it to you by. Also remember that Amazon is currently prioritizing essential items for delivery over things like electronics. It took roughly a week since I ordered my 27GL83A to arrive at my door.

I ordered mine on the 14th and it's saying I'm getting it Thursday now. Was supposed to be last Friday. Jerks.

edit: They lied. Got it today (Tuesday). I've never used a g-sync monitor before. This is, like, wow. I didn't think it could be that big of a deal, but it sure as poo poo is.

ddogflex fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 26, 2020

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Just got this and it is amazing: https://www.pcgamer.com/rog-strix-xg17ahp-portable-monitor-review/

It's definitely not for every use case, especially at its price point, but it's perfect for what I need.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
Omen 27" IPS arrived a day early from that deal a few posts up. I definitely prefer this 27" vs the 32" I was temporarily using at this distance, 32" is just too big. I have not done anything that would really make use if its improved capabilities, but so far it looks nice, though I keep playing with the brightness/sharpness/contrast settings. I could not figure out why it felt like the edges of the monitor were tilting back, then I realized my brain got used to the curved monitor in a few days and it was used to the edges being closer. Brains are weird.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 02:55 on May 28, 2020

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I picked up the Asus PB278QV from Amazon to replace my old 32" HDTV that had gone from a temporary monitor replacement to one that lasted for an embarrassing amount of time, so anything would be an improvement at this point. I haven't seen any reviews since it's pretty new?

It's a 27" 1440p IPS, 75Mhz screen, which at $270 is perfect for the light gaming that I do. Colors are awesome, no lag for things like Rocket League. Even more intense stuff like RDR2 or Bannerlord do well with a bit of stutter, but I suspect that's as much of a function of my ancient CPU (i5-4570) as anything else. I have a decent video card- 1660 ti.

The two weird things are the speakers, which like most/all monitor speakers are garbage, and the swivel is in the bottom of the big square stand, which makes the whole thing rotate.

Anyways, for non-hardcore folks like me, I'm pretty impressed with the thing.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I have 2 x 27 inch monitors and I just purchased a monitor stand for it.

https://imgur.com/E3PhAnk

I really wanted to have the monitor on my left, the 2nd monitor, to be a little bit more at an angle but right now due to how the arms of the stand are, it's not possible to have it a better angle. What are my options here?

1) Buy two individual stands?
2) Buy a stand like this which supports up to a 32" monitor? https://www.amazon.com/HUANUO-Dual-Monitor-Mount-Stand/dp/B07QR48YLB/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=huano+32&qid=1590598825&sr=8-3

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Busy Bee posted:

I have 2 x 27 inch monitors and I just purchased a monitor stand for it.

https://imgur.com/E3PhAnk

I really wanted to have the monitor on my left, the 2nd monitor, to be a little bit more at an angle but right now due to how the arms of the stand are, it's not possible to have it a better angle. What are my options here?

1) Buy two individual stands?
2) Buy a stand like this which supports up to a 32" monitor? https://www.amazon.com/HUANUO-Dual-Monitor-Mount-Stand/dp/B07QR48YLB/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=huano+32&qid=1590598825&sr=8-3

All my monitors are on individual stands, and I greatly enjoy the amount of flexibility that provides.

Granted, all my monitors are also all sorts of wacky sizes (ultrawide, 1440p, 4k, 1080p) so it's not like any of them would really ever be at home coexisting on the same stand anyway :v:

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Zarin posted:

All my monitors are on individual stands, and I greatly enjoy the amount of flexibility that provides.

Granted, all my monitors are also all sorts of wacky sizes (ultrawide, 1440p, 4k, 1080p) so it's not like any of them would really ever be at home coexisting on the same stand anyway :v:

Are your individual stands the ones that are gas powered and can go all directions or just the static one that I recently bought (picture above)?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

Are your individual stands the ones that are gas powered and can go all directions or just the static one that I recently bought (picture above)?

I bought a different Huano dual monitor arm (this one) for my similar setup of dual 1440p 27" and it works great - once I dialed the gas piston to the right tension my monitors move super freely.

One caveat though, coming from a monitor arm like your pictured one but for a single 27", is I did need to move my desk back from the wall more than I wanted in order to make space for the lower parts of the arms to be bent back towards the wall, allowing the top parts of the arm to come be close together on a vertical plane, but still my preferred distance away from the edge of the desk I sit on. I also has to offset the mount point to the left of my desk so that I could have one monitor front and center and the second one at more of an angle. (I can try to draft up a terrible image for more clarity)

My desk is comparatively tiny to the total width of the monitors though - only 48" wide by 24" deep - so depending on your own dimensions and preferred monitor set up, this might not be an issue, but just a heads up for something I didn't consider fully before buying a stand.

EDIT: terrible mspaint images, proportions are way off but idea is there I think

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
My Omen from the deal upthread came into my local BB a day early, just got it hooked up and configured and it's everything I hoped for in a monitor upgrade. Thanks to everyone in the thread for their input!