Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

ErikTheRed posted:

The 27GL83A-B was actually available to order for several hours this morning so I managed to snag one. Not shipping until the back half of July though.

Apparently their dates are meaningless, just got the shipping notification 🤷‍♂️

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i didnt get rid of my CRT until 2008 i think lol. i didnt keep it because i thought it made me better at gaming, it was just still a solid monitor for my needs and didnt have any mechanical issues. thing moved across teh country twice too lol. the heaviest monitor i ever owned traveled the most miles, naturally. not even counting LAN parties.

i wouldnt mind a 1440/200 panel, in theory. hopefully they keep making some with some dock like capabilities including power delivery etc, that seems like it might be useful.

E: im looking at my desk and setup now and jfc, i guess i do miss the FPSeses being buttery smooth but like...i had one of those 23 or 24 inch Dell ones from 1999 or whatever. The thing was deep.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

K8.0 posted:

There is a difference, and it's significant, but it's not worth the drop to 1080p unless you're a competitive CSGO/OW player.

The reality is that no LCD will ever compare to a CRT in terms of motion clarity for two reasons. The first is transition times. Each pixel is what it is, and then it transitions to another color over time. Your brain isn't a particularly big fan of that, the real world doesn't do that when things move. Secondarily, even OLEDs with their much faster transitions still have dramatically inferior motion clarity to CRT, because like LCDs they are sample and hold displays - the image stays until it changes. Your brain isn't a big fan of a seeing something sitting still in one place, then suddenly sitting still in another place. It much prefers to see something for a tiny fraction of a second, then nothing, then see the thing spontaneously appear in a new place for a tiny fraction of a second, which is more or less what happens on a CRT with its phosphors fading to black in microseconds. Black Frame Insertion (ULMB, ELMB, etc) attempts to partially address this on LCDs by pulsing the backlight, so they are only visible for a shorter period of time (and hopefully not during the transition time). It has its limitations because brightness can become an issue, and there has yet to be an implementation that works really well with VRR enabled.

The Viewsonic XG270 (not the QG) does have fantastic Backlight strobing implementation, probably the best in the industry. Regrettably it does come with some limitations and still isn't CRT perfect, even as well tuned as it is, it's incredibly difficult to hide the entire pixel transition within the non-illuminated period of the screen. Brightness is still a weakness of this technology, too - the XG270 can get plenty bright during its backlight strobing mode ("PureXP+"), but setting it to be brighter is a motion clarity vs brightness tradeoff. It doesn't make the backlight any brighter, it just changes the pulse width so that the backlight is on for a relatively longer period of time, reducing the motion clarity to increase the perceived brightness.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Statutory Ape posted:

i didnt get rid of my CRT until 2008 i think lol. i didnt keep it because i thought it made me better at gaming, it was just still a solid monitor for my needs and didnt have any mechanical issues. thing moved across teh country twice too lol. the heaviest monitor i ever owned traveled the most miles, naturally. not even counting LAN parties.

i wouldnt mind a 1440/200 panel, in theory. hopefully they keep making some with some dock like capabilities including power delivery etc, that seems like it might be useful.

E: im looking at my desk and setup now and jfc, i guess i do miss the FPSeses being buttery smooth but like...i had one of those 23 or 24 inch Dell ones from 1999 or whatever. The thing was deep.

I loved my 16:9 Sony Trinitron monitor but the drat thing weighed 98 pounds according to the manual. It was beautiful, but it was literally painful to move. When it gave up the ghost in 2009 or 2010 I considered trying to have it fixed but gave up.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
I had a higher-end CRT for a long time, too, but convergence was a pain (and never perfect), it was huge and power-hungry (and hot), colors started to drift over time, and no matter how smooth motion clarity was, the first-gen $400 LCD I got had way clearer / crisper text.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I still keep a Mitsubishi Diamondtron around for fun. But I'm also the guy who keeps multiple CRTs for retro gaming consoles as well.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Paul MaudDib posted:

it's just a quadratically diminishing effects type situation, there really are diminishing returns past ~60fps, but 80fps is notably better than 60fps, and 144 fps is notably better than 80, etc.

there will still be returns from moving to 800 hz monitors, but people will complain that moving from 500 hz to 800 hz really isn't worth it and is diminishing returns, cheapskates should stay with their 280 hz monitors, etc.

OLED is a lot a lot faster at pixel response times. We could actually have 480 hz monitors with pixel response times that can support that. OLED transition times are less than a millisecond.

overall motion clarity >> raw fps. CRT don't go 144fps but still are nicer for motion

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I mean if we were living a world where you could buy a 4k 200hz VRR CRT, sure that'd be the ideal gaming monitor. In reality, the only scenario where I see a real argument for a CRT is for retro gaming where you can't benefit from modern technology, and you are often dealing with non-square pixel aspect ratios. Even then, I'd only recommend it if you enjoy personally maintaining a CRT.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CRTs are the best because you can't play duck hunt with the gun on anything else.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

K8.0 posted:

I mean if we were living a world where you could buy a 4k 200hz VRR CRT, sure that'd be the ideal gaming monitor. In reality, the only scenario where I see a real argument for a CRT is for retro gaming where you can't benefit from modern technology, and you are often dealing with non-square pixel aspect ratios. Even then, I'd only recommend it if you enjoy personally maintaining a CRT.

well, quite: there's literally no reason to have a 100000hz display if the motion clarity is rear end

i'd rather have 120fps with BFI than 240hz with smeary poo poo

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I occasionally miss my 19" CRTs, even if tweaking convergence was always a pain, games always looked amazing at 1280x960@100 Hz, or 1024x768@120 Hz, or for the twitchiest titles 640x480@160 Hz. Now I'm using a first generation 24" 1080p / 240 Hz gsync TN and regularly checking for a 27" 1440p / 240 Hz gsync IPS with good response times and little/no overshoot, lots of possibilities on the horizon since panels are starting to move in that direction. I'd say motion clarity is about comparable to a CRT at 85 Hz when you start getting up into the 180 Hz range, but past that pixel responses can't keep up anymore (even TNs are not keeping up with the 4.16 MS necessary to hit 240 Hz). We'll see if any of us live long enough to see microLEDs reach mass production and finally put CRTs to rest for good.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

VelociBacon posted:

CRTs are the best because you can't play duck hunt with the gun on anything else.
Shouldn't Duck Hunt work on LCDs too? I think it just flashes a white box over the ducks for a frame. But also there's no reason we couldn't have OLEDs scan out like a CRT, thus solving the motion clarity problem as well as the duck hunt problem

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Duck Hunt checks for the white boxes immediately after you pull the trigger, which only works if the display has effectively no input lag.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

repiv posted:

Duck Hunt checks for the white boxes immediately after you pull the trigger, which only works if the display has effectively no input lag.
It's not just about the lag, it's also about the bright spot generated by the CRT beam scanning. The NES knows exactly where that beam is at any given time so it can determine with relatively high precision where you're aimed by knowing exactly when the beam passes through the focal point of the Zapper.

This is why they only work on direct-view tubes and not CRT-based projection systems which are equally lag-free.

There is an adapter people have developed that uses a Wiimote for tracking and emulates the expected inputs to the gun but it's a bit janky of a setup: https://github.com/charcole/LCDZapper

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
LG 27GL83A-B is back in stock on Amazon - I think that's the cheaper one that people like? It's not showing in the sale box but if you click the "more items" there's a sold+shipped by amazon for $380.

e: gone

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 18, 2020

Progject
Apr 23, 2006

Got my eye on a couple of different monitors... AOC CQ32G1 32-inch, which seems like incredible value for the price, or the smaller ASUS VG279WQ. The issue is, I have an nVidia card and would like to use G-Sync, however I'm not sure either of these support it, they are only FreeSync.

There are a a good number of anecdotal reports that the AOC works with G-Sync but nothing about the ASUS. Neither seem to appear on any lists of G-Sync-compatible monitors.

At the end of the day, what is the likelihood that they'll just be fine and if they're not, am I missing out on a killer feature by not having G-Sync? Will I just have terrible screen-tearing without it?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I'm looking to improve my WFH setup and I'm interested in a widescreen monitor with lots of screen real estate. I'm not concerned about gaming or whatever, I'm a front end developer so I need something that's easy on the eyes. Budget is around $250. Can anyone recommend me something?

Arken_ca
Sep 14, 2011
I'm thinking to go from a 75hz IPS freesync monitor to the LG GL83A-B 144hz monitor and reviews say its particularly good for motion, but I'm wondering how much of a difference will it be coming from my current 75hz? Has anyone done a similar move and can confirm its a noticeable difference in terms of motion clarity?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Progject posted:

Got my eye on a couple of different monitors... AOC CQ32G1 32-inch, which seems like incredible value for the price, or the smaller ASUS VG279WQ. The issue is, I have an nVidia card and would like to use G-Sync, however I'm not sure either of these support it, they are only FreeSync.

There are a a good number of anecdotal reports that the AOC works with G-Sync but nothing about the ASUS. Neither seem to appear on any lists of G-Sync-compatible monitors.

At the end of the day, what is the likelihood that they'll just be fine and if they're not, am I missing out on a killer feature by not having G-Sync? Will I just have terrible screen-tearing without it?

If your focus is gaming, they aren't a great value. Those are both VA monitors and VA simply does not respond fast enough to consistently keep up with high framerates. You get really ugly smearing. If you are on a tight budget, given the current limited supply of monitors, I might consider waiting. With the current supply issues the only gaming monitor that's available at a good price that we're actually recommending right now is the LG 27GL83A, which pops up every couple weeks on Amazon for $375. If you want to try to get one, use NowInStock to set up an alert for it.

As a semi-aside, "G-Sync compatible" does mean that a monitor has at least decent Freesync on Nvidia compatibility, but it doesn't necessarily mean that it's excellent, and plenty of good monitors are not certified. Any monitor you're considering, you really want to look at tftcentral/rtings reviews if possible, and/or user feedback on random reddit posts and stuff.

Verisimilidude posted:

I'm looking to improve my WFH setup and I'm interested in a widescreen monitor with lots of screen real estate. I'm not concerned about gaming or whatever, I'm a front end developer so I need something that's easy on the eyes. Budget is around $250. Can anyone recommend me something?

Maybe a cheap 27" 4k IPS? You can sometimes snag something on sale around that price. If not, you're probably looking at ~$200ish 1440p 27" IPS or 32" VA monitors, which are not spectacular value IMO but certainly are an acceptable use of money.

Arken_ca posted:

I'm thinking to go from a 75hz IPS freesync monitor to the LG GL83A-B 144hz monitor and reviews say its particularly good for motion, but I'm wondering how much of a difference will it be coming from my current 75hz? Has anyone done a similar move and can confirm its a noticeable difference in terms of motion clarity?

Going from a monitor with no/poor overdrive to one with excellent overdrive is a huge difference, but not everyone is that sensitive to it. If you think you would notice improved motion clarity, it'd probably be quite noticeable to you. One thing you can certainly say right now is that if you buy a 27GL83A for $375 off Amazon, if you don't like it it should be no trouble to turn around and sell it off for no loss of money.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Arken_ca posted:

I went from a 60hz IPS to a 144hz IPS and it is dramatically better, so I'd imagine you would have a similar experience

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

VelociBacon posted:

Also for some reason hardcore Super Smash Bros players prefer playing on CRTs.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013
I could use some help finding a decent monitor. I'm currently using a ViewSonic VX2250, which is absolutely showing it's age and is beginning to have display issues, but I was never at a budget level to move away from it. I've been stuck at 1080p 60hz on a dinky DMI display, and I'm ready to move on.

I have a budget of around $300-$400 at most, and I'm wondering what my options are. I live in the USA, for clarification.

I do a good amount of higher-end(ish) gaming on this rig, getting a lot of use out of VR, as well as content creation with Blender. I'm currently using an MSI GTX 1060 6GT OC for the video card, which will probably limit my options on the high end, I'm sure. I won't be upgrading from it any time soon, though.

Things to note:
I have 1 DP, HDMI, and DMI port each, which may or may not be an issue? I've heard that daisy-chaining for multiple monitors is possible with DP, but I wouldn't know. Ideally I'd like to get a monitor with both DP and HDMI just in case one is being used, but it's not a priority.

Is 1440p at 144Hz completely unfeasible with my current GPU? If so, between resolution or refresh rate, which is the better value at this level?

The monitor size doesn't matter that much to me as long as it isn't tiny. I don't know what the current standard is, but anything is better than the 21-inch monitor that I'm using now.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
So the only difference between the LG 27GL83A-B and the LG 27GL850-B is the color spectrum? Is it even perceptible to the average user?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

th3t00t posted:

So the only difference between the LG 27GL83A-B and the LG 27GL850-B is the color spectrum? Is it even perceptible to the average user?

The 27GL83A-B also omits the USB hub the 850 has. You won't notice the color difference unless you're a professional with a color meter.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

They have the same panel inside, including the backlight/color space. The 83A just doesn’t advertise it, which means I guess it isn’t guaranteed... but it is certainly there on my 83A. The only difference is the USB hub (which may also add the ability to update firmware some day).

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
USB huB? So I could plug USB devices into the monitor instead of my tower? Or potentially update firmware someday? Is that all it does?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

th3t00t posted:

USB huB? So I could plug USB devices into the monitor instead of my tower? Or potentially update firmware someday? Is that all it does?

Yes, it's a built-in hub. In the box (27GL850-B) you get a USB downstream cable to plug in between the monitor and PC and there's 2 USB ports on the back of the monitor near the DisplayPort and HDMI ports that you can use like any other USB port. LG normally does FW updates that are done through USB.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sailor Dave posted:

I have a budget of around $300-$400 at most, and I'm wondering what my options are. I live in the USA, for clarification.

I do a good amount of higher-end(ish) gaming on this rig, getting a lot of use out of VR, as well as content creation with Blender. I'm currently using an MSI GTX 1060 6GT OC for the video card, which will probably limit my options on the high end, I'm sure. I won't be upgrading from it any time soon, though.

Is 1440p at 144Hz completely unfeasible with my current GPU? If so, between resolution or refresh rate, which is the better value at this level?

The monitor size doesn't matter that much to me as long as it isn't tiny. I don't know what the current standard is, but anything is better than the 21-inch monitor that I'm using now.

I bolded the question about 1440p at 144hz because it's really a "it depends" kind of thing. I was running a similar card, upgraded my monitor to a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor, and then upgraded my GPU after that.

What games you play, and what you consider an acceptable level of graphics detail has a huge impact on the answer. If you're okay knocking graphics detail down a couple of notches then you can get a better framerate, but that's a highly subjective matter.

Freesync helps smooth things out, but you'd still be looking at lowering your graphics settings in order to keep the fps from dipping too low.

For me I opted for the GPU upgrade because I wasn't happy with the graphics settings I had to use in order to keep the framerate up, but that's my personal preference.

Also, on some of the games I play even the 2070 Super I went to doesn't drive the display at maximum refresh rate. In Far Cry New Dawn I see framerates from the 80s to 120s, but that's with all the graphics settings maxed out.

Sailor Dave
Sep 19, 2013

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I bolded the question about 1440p at 144hz because it's really a "it depends" kind of thing. I was running a similar card, upgraded my monitor to a 27" 1440p 144hz monitor, and then upgraded my GPU after that.

What games you play, and what you consider an acceptable level of graphics detail has a huge impact on the answer. If you're okay knocking graphics detail down a couple of notches then you can get a better framerate, but that's a highly subjective matter.

Freesync helps smooth things out, but you'd still be looking at lowering your graphics settings in order to keep the fps from dipping too low.

For me I opted for the GPU upgrade because I wasn't happy with the graphics settings I had to use in order to keep the framerate up, but that's my personal preference.

Also, on some of the games I play even the 2070 Super I went to doesn't drive the display at maximum refresh rate. In Far Cry New Dawn I see framerates from the 80s to 120s, but that's with all the graphics settings maxed out.

I don't think I'd mind having to drop graphics settings on those kinds of games for the sake of higher refresh rate. Upgrading the GPU is potentially an option in the future, and it would be nice to have a monitor that can make use of a 1440p 144hz monitor. Is 60 fps on a 144hz monitor noticably worse in some way compared to a native 60hz monitor? Is bumping down the resolution to 1920x1080 on more intensive games an option as well, or would it look bad?

Also, what monitor was it that you upgraded to? I'm eyeing the LG 27GL83A since it's been recommended several times in this thread and it's within my budget, but I'm open to alternatives.

Edit: After doing a bit more research into this monitor, it seems like it has issues with color contrast. It "technically" has HDR, but doesn't really. That's concerning to me, because I really prefer to have HDR and good contrast. I'm not sure the trade-off is worth the other qualities.

Sailor Dave fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jun 20, 2020

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I got an Acer XF270HUA. It's a design that's a few years old but it's been working great for me.

Others can probably give you a better idea about running 1080p on a 1440p - I haven't really tried it, and I'm not sure if some monitors handle that better than others. I've only seen games in 1080p on this monitor when I fired them up after hooking it up and had to change the resolution, so pretty much just saw the options screens.

As far as I'm concerned as long as I'm getting more than 60hz it's fine, and the Freesync helps avoid tearing and stuff as long as it doesn't drop too far below that (I think the threshold is somewhere in the 40s usually, but that's off the top of my head).

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Ordered a 27GL83A-B last night. Thanks thread!

ErikTheRed
Mar 12, 2007

My name is Deckard Cain and I've come on out to greet ya, so sit your ass and listen or I'm gonna have to beat ya.

Arken_ca posted:

I just went from a 75hz VA to the LG and the difference is night and day

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Sailor Dave posted:

I don't think I'd mind having to drop graphics settings on those kinds of games for the sake of higher refresh rate. Upgrading the GPU is potentially an option in the future, and it would be nice to have a monitor that can make use of a 1440p 144hz monitor. Is 60 fps on a 144hz monitor noticably worse in some way compared to a native 60hz monitor? Is bumping down the resolution to 1920x1080 on more intensive games an option as well, or would it look bad?

Also, what monitor was it that you upgraded to? I'm eyeing the LG 27GL83A since it's been recommended several times in this thread and it's within my budget, but I'm open to alternatives.

Edit: After doing a bit more research into this monitor, it seems like it has issues with color contrast. It "technically" has HDR, but doesn't really. That's concerning to me, because I really prefer to have HDR and good contrast. I'm not sure the trade-off is worth the other qualities.

60hz on a good monitor is better than 60hz on a bad monitor. For many monitors the optimal overdrive settings for 60 and 144hz are different and that's a mild hassle - but even a suboptimal overdrive setting is going to beat the pants off a 10 year old monitor. Running 1080p on a 1440p panel is really ugly, you won't want to do that.

The 27GL83A is generally the best currently available value. Everything else in the 27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync segment is either completely unavailable or way overpriced. The 27GL83A and LG IPS panels in general have good out of the box color accuracy, where they tend to fall behind competing panels is in the contrast and black uniformity department. At high brightness levels and/or in a very dark environment, a dark background is noticeably less black and uniform than some other options. That said, they're still fine by most people's standards and definitely a huge step up from the 10 year old TN panel you have now. Like I said to the other guy, with monitors being limited availability right now, buying a generally desirable monitor like the 27GL83A is very low-risk, because if you get it and aren't satisfied, you should fairly easily be able to turn around and sell it for what you paid for it.

HDR on monitors is basically a gimmick. If you want HDR on a "monitor" the only real solution is a large and expensive 4K LG OLED TV, and even then you're kinda waiting for new GPUs to come out so you can drive them properly.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have the EVGA 2080ti xc ultra, can I use as many monitors as there are ports or is there some limit like I think I remember having on other cards? Main monitor is a 144hz 1440p and the rest will be 60hz 1080p monitors. So far I have one but looking to add two more (day trading) for a total of 4 monitors and wondering the best way to do this.

I'm concerned that if I set it up wrong my GPU won't idle properly like the 9xx era cards with the refresh rate thing.

E: sorry I posted this to the wrong thread. Moving over to you thread.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 20, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

go hog wild

use all the ports

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Your GPU has a max video bandwidth that determine how many monitors you can run. Things like resolution, refresh, color bit, etc all add to your bandwidth.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TheDK posted:

Your GPU has a max video bandwidth that determine how many monitors you can run. Things like resolution, refresh, color bit, etc all add to your bandwidth.

I have to imagine mine will be alright but it's a good thing to keep in mind.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

TheDK posted:

I'm by no means sure about this, but ... is this valid anymore? I remember it was a thing back in the day with RAMDACs and video memory though.

Wibla fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jun 20, 2020

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Wibla posted:

I'm by no means sure about this, but ... is this valid anymore? I remember it was a thing back in the day with RAMDACs and video memory though.

It's normally only an issue with old hardware or laptops. For example my wife's macbook can't do QHD at 60hz but can do 59.

A 2080ti is going to handle anything you throw at it unless you are doing a bunch of 4k @ 144 monitors or something wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
4 displays is the max I think that the card can power?