Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Prop Wash posted:

Hi, displaygoons! I currently have a PC with a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti, and to it a single Dell S2716DGR 27" monitor is connected. I would like to get a second monitor. If I don't plan on replacing my first monitor (and I don't, it still works great for gaming or just everyday internet), then would it be a good idea to stay in the same "line" of monitors? It looks like the S2719 is the new one so I could just go with one of those, but I wanted to get a few opinions first. Thank you!

I honestly don't think it matters unless the different stands throw you off. I also have a Dell S2716DGR and bought an Alienware AW3420DW last week and run both monitors off of a 1070.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
At work I just took delivery of a pair of Dell U2720Qs, and that is actually a fine display. USB-C with power (90W I believe), USB and USB-C on the side, for charging (don't know the amperage but I'm guessing it's good.) Thin bezel, good clean looks... you could do a lot worse than getting one of these.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Prop Wash posted:

Hi, displaygoons! I currently have a PC with a EVGA GeForce GTX 1080Ti, and to it a single Dell S2716DGR 27" monitor is connected. I would like to get a second monitor. If I don't plan on replacing my first monitor (and I don't, it still works great for gaming or just everyday internet), then would it be a good idea to stay in the same "line" of monitors? It looks like the S2719 is the new one so I could just go with one of those, but I wanted to get a few opinions first. Thank you!

I wouldn't do that because one you don't need a second high refresh monitor, and two you can do much better than buying a second TN panel.

loaf posted:

Can anyone recommend a ~43-inch 4k monitor? I'm looking to upgrade from a 27" 1440p IPS, mostly for coding and graphics work and some gaming. Faster refresh would be great, and HDR would probably be nice but I'm not sure how good support is. My budget is up to about $1500 but it looks like there are options around half that with fewer features.

Maybe you're another person in the market for a 48" LG CX? It's at least worth a look with your goals.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Ok sorry, I've got some cash on hand now and I've been wanting to upgrade my monitor for WFH.

The thing is I'm a Mac user. I have a 2020 4 port MBP. I have a CalDigit TS3 dock as well.

I'd like to go 27" 1440p but I also am curious about 4K. I don't want to go with the ultra fine since I have the dock. I also need vesa options for my Amazon Basics arm at home.

Games wise the only one I play is Slay The Spire and now that it's on iOS I mainly play on my iPad.

Is the LG 27GL83A ok for me or should I be looking elsewhere?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

With gaming being a very minor concern at best, no. I'd be looking at 4k monitors, of which there are countless options with various features. Doesn't sound like you need anything particular other than VESA mounting compatibility. Just go on Amazon and search 4k ips and 4k va to find options, and maybe ask back once you have narrowed down what you're looking for.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

K8.0 posted:

With gaming being a very minor concern at best, no. I'd be looking at 4k monitors, of which there are countless options with various features. Doesn't sound like you need anything particular other than VESA mounting compatibility. Just go on Amazon and search 4k ips and 4k va to find options, and maybe ask back once you have narrowed down what you're looking for.

I'm assuming I can't go wrong with an Ultrasharp U2718Q?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I don't see anything wrong with it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Matt Zerella posted:

I'm assuming I can't go wrong with an Ultrasharp U2718Q?

I have two of these and I've been happy with them. If green looks oversaturated they just need a firmware update.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

I ended up pulling the trigger on this when they restocked, CAD $300 at Costco.

Volguus posted:

That's an amazing monitor for the money.

Thanks for the link, this blows anything I was looking at out of the water :)

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I recently upgraded to a 2070s and kinda want to do the jump from 1080p to QHD and was looking at monitors that support nvidia gsync and aren't too expensive.
https://eu.aoc.com/en/gaming-monitors/ag241qx is available for about 360€
I'm basically looking for the following:
QHD
GSYNC (that one isn't technically gsync but is listed as compatible on https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/ )
Not too huge, below 30"
Hopefully below 500€

This isn't exactly a great monitor but the budget is what it is. Anything else I should look at? I'm having a hell of a hard time trying to find gsync compatible QHD monitors on the websites available to me.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

organburner posted:

I recently upgraded to a 2070s and kinda want to do the jump from 1080p to QHD and was looking at monitors that support nvidia gsync and aren't too expensive.
https://eu.aoc.com/en/gaming-monitors/ag241qx is available for about 360€
I'm basically looking for the following:
QHD
GSYNC (that one isn't technically gsync but is listed as compatible on https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/ )
Not too huge, below 30"
Hopefully below 500€

This isn't exactly a great monitor but the budget is what it is. Anything else I should look at? I'm having a hell of a hard time trying to find gsync compatible QHD monitors on the websites available to me.
This page is what I use; you want the AUO IPS section in general: https://www.displayninja.com/new-monitors/

And native G-Sync is kind of rare right now, which is also why I am holding off on upgrades.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

ufarn posted:

This page is what I use; you want the AUO IPS section in general: https://www.displayninja.com/new-monitors/

And native G-Sync is kind of rare right now, which is also why I am holding off on upgrades.

Yeah, for some reason the G-sync monitors are also way more expensive than freesync ones.

The only IPS monitor I can find that meets my requirements is the Acer XV272UP which is about 100€ more expensive than the TN ones with similar features and I'm not sure if the IPS panel is going to be worth 100€ for me personally.
The Acer is about 450€

EDIT: Found the Acer for 429€ which I might go for actually...

organburner fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 5, 2020

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
G-sync requires licensing and additional hardware in the monitor for the g-sync module. The reason you don't see more native g-sync monitors is the higher price and most freesync implementations are totally fine. You may not get adaptive sync under 48 fps or whatever the freesync range is but that likely doesn't matter for the majority of people. I expect g-sync to become more rare until it's gone, a standard is put in place, or Nvidia figures out a new strategy to lower prices/costs.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
You're not getting variable (automatic) overdrive without native G-Sync, which becomes increasingly relevant as refresh rates increase. 165 is becoming the baseline, 240 is happening basically now, and 360 might come out this year but at prohibitively expensive prices.

https://www.displayninja.com/what-is-overdrive-on-a-monitor/

G-Sync modules are becoming niche, but they're not becoming irrelevant; it's just that the native G-Sync tax is a steep price hike a lot won't eat.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Hmm, the acer XV272UP is listed as 48-144Hz on https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/products/g-sync-monitors/specs/ under the variable refresh rate, so doesn't that mean it's compatible up to 144hz?

I probably won't need more than that for a while, honestly even 60fps is enough for me but I understand hz != fps.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Means it goes up to 144, yeah. You want to cap your FPS a little below your monitor refresh rate to make sure the sync is always active though.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Yeah I'll probably keep capping to 60 tbh, though I might try 120 if the games will run that well.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The point of VRR is that you don't have to cap it at a specific number to avoid tearing. Cap it at 120, which looks awesome and definitely more than twice as good as 60, and if the game can't keep up, it doesn't matter.

Unless you're really annoyed by having the FPS sometimes drop from ultra-smooth to very smooth, I guess.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Never had a monitor that goes above 60hz so haven't really tried myself but what you say might have merit.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The XV272UP is probably a reasonable buy for you. Also, going from 60 to 90-120 FPS is pretty revelatory for most people. Beyond that it's often hard to see the benefits on an LCD, but you can still feel them. Once we get faster displays with rolling scan (as opposed to sample and hold) it will be very worth pushing hundreds of FPS if you can. There are diminishing returns the higher framerates go, but research suggests you can benefit up into the thousands of frames per second.

You do want to cap your framerate on a VRR monitor, for two reasons :

1. To keep VRR active. If frames are coming faster than the monitor can display them, VRR is off and you get normal vsync on or off behavior (lots of latency or tearing). Because of this, you always want to cap your framerate ~4 FPS below the maximum a VRR monitor can display.
2. To reduce latency. There is a lot of latency that comes from taking a GPU to 100% utilization. Because of this, in a competitive game it's a good idea to cap your framerate such that you never hit 100% GPU utilization in that particular title.

The first is a big deal and is something everyone should do. Just set the framerate cap in the Nvidia control panel to 140 FPS on a 144hz monitor and you gain a lot of benefit. If you want to do a little better in a game you care about more, look up if the in-game framerate limiter is good. If it is, create an Nvidia profile for that game that disables the Nvidia limiter and use the in-game one instead. The third tier of effort is to use a tool like RTSS to monitor your GPU load and drop your framerate limit for that game to the point where your GPU load isn't quite maxxed out in high-stress situations.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
So I bought a certified G-Sync Compatible monitor (LG GL850-B), and I'm on GTX1080, but G-Sync tab is completely absent in the NVidia control panel even after reinstalling (although there's a vague "adaptive" option you can choose instead of Vsync). Using the fresh DP cable that was included. According to NVidia's pendulum tool, GSync's not working. Just wanted to ask, is it Win7's fault? Is it a confirmed fact that G-Sync Compatible won't do jack under Win7? Thought I'd ask before I go and carpetbomb the video drivers for a clean reinstallation or whatever.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Dunno but Windows 7 has been EOL for 6 months so it wouldn't surprise me if there's driver regressions

It's time to upgrade

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I got a LG 27GL83A from recommendation in this thread and I just set it up. Looks great but the monitor stand seems a bit weak - when I type, the monitor wobbles a lot. How can I help stabilize the monitor?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

repiv posted:

Dunno but Windows 7 has been EOL for 6 months so it wouldn't surprise me if there's driver regressions

It's time to upgrade

100%. Unless you are a business running custom tools that cannot run on Win10, or have some other very specific need for something that simply isn't supported on Win10, it's long since time to jump off that sinking ship.

It's also still free to upgrade for most people.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

DrDork posted:

100%. Unless you are a business running custom tools that cannot run on Win10, or have some other very specific need for something that simply isn't supported on Win10, it's long since time to jump off that sinking ship.

It's also still free to upgrade for most people.

Agreed.

Just yesterday I got around to updating my old Windows 7 desktop that I replaced with a new build in April. From what I have read most people haven't had a lot of difficulty having Windows 10 validate.

I'm paranoid enough I threw an extra hard drive into the machine and installed Windows 10 back when they were pushing the free upgrade thing so it would register the hardware, so was pretty confident it would auto-activate. I also made sure I had a copy of the Windows 7 activation key just in case.

I did an in-place upgrade and it went really smoothly, with most of the programs I had installed just carrying over from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I haven't checked the Nvidia control panel since installing updated drivers (that's one thing that didn't carry over) but it's also running a 1060 6GB and is connected to an old non-freesync monitor so I'm not sure it would have the option anyway.

Edit: One thing I'd suggest - if you need to download a Windows 10 ISO go with the 1909 release, not 2004 (the May 2020 update). The 2004 release can have some hardware compatibility issues and Microsoft is still working on it. 1909 has been around a while and should be a safer bet. I'm running the 2004 release on my new machine, but went with 1909 on my older machine for these reasons.

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Jul 5, 2020

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
What's a decent 1080p60Hz (or 120Hz) monitor for gaming these days? I'm still rocking an ASUS VH238 that I bought ~10 years ago and I'm looking for an upgrade. I'm gaming on a Ryzen 3600/GTX1070 so could I take advantage of a 1080p 120Hz monitor?

Edit: Budget is ~$250

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 6, 2020

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

K8.0 posted:

Once we get faster displays with rolling scan (as opposed to sample and hold) it will be very worth pushing hundreds of FPS if you can. There are diminishing returns the higher framerates go, but research suggests you can benefit up into the thousands of frames per second.

VR headset makers are _slavering_ for fast displays with rolling shutter. Even the Rift CV1’s display can do either global or rolling shutter modes, albeit only at 90Hz, and it was an active debate quite late in that development cycle as to whether we wanted to encourage developers to “race the beam” to shave more time off movement-to-photon latency. I expect we might well see some APIs around that tied to time- and space-warp, if nothing else.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

spasticColon posted:

What's a decent 1080p60Hz (or 120Hz) monitor for gaming these days? I'm still rocking an ASUS VH238 that I bought ~10 years ago and I'm looking for an upgrade. I'm gaming on a Ryzen 3600/GTX1070 so could I take advantage of a 1080p 120Hz monitor?

Edit: Budget is ~$250

You should have no trouble running 1080p faster than 120hz with that hardware.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Looking for a monitor than can also double as a decent TV for watching from 5 feet away or so. I was thinking about the following options:

One of the following 34"

LG 34UM69G-B

LG 34BL650-B

OR, if I go smaller I'd do the following 31.5"

LG 32UK550-B 31.5

I think the 34" might end up being preferable for the viewing distance when watching from the couch. Any thoughts on these selections or alternatives folks would suggest?

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 6, 2020

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

clockworkjoe posted:

I got a LG 27GL83A from recommendation in this thread and I just set it up. Looks great but the monitor stand seems a bit weak - when I type, the monitor wobbles a lot. How can I help stabilize the monitor?

Can brace the desk against something so the desk doesn't move when you type. Or get a monitor arm from amazon, you'll be amazed how much room you get back on your desk.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

VR headset makers are _slavering_ for fast displays with rolling shutter. Even the Rift CV1’s display can do either global or rolling shutter modes, albeit only at 90Hz, and it was an active debate quite late in that development cycle as to whether we wanted to encourage developers to “race the beam” to shave more time off movement-to-photon latency. I expect we might well see some APIs around that tied to time- and space-warp, if nothing else.

Rolling shutter is not primarily about reducing the latency of a given pixel.The point of rolling shutter is that you turn pixels on only long enough for them to produce enough brightness, and then shutting them off to improve motion clarity. Blurbusters has a good page explaining why, so rather than trying to replicate it I'll just send you over there. Monitors that can combine VRR and rolling scan and do both well are the next big thing.

El Mero Mero posted:

Looking for a monitor than can also double as a decent TV for watching from 5 feet away or so. I was thinking about the following options:

One of the following 34"

LG 34UM69G-B

LG 34BL650-B

OR, if I go smaller one of the following 31.5"

LG 32UK550-B 31.5

LG 32UK550-B

I think the 34" might end up being preferable for the viewing distance when watching from the couch. Any thoughts on these selections or alternatives folks would suggest?

What sort of content do you intend to watch? One thing that's worth keeping in mind is that ultrawides are actually kinda rear end for viewing 16:9 content, because they have worse BLB than normal LCDs. It's super obvious in dark scenes of a movie when the corners of your monitor that should be pure black are instead brighter than the movie content.

Also, you linked the same 4k monitor twice. Not sure if you were actually looking at two of them.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Jul 6, 2020

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

clockworkjoe posted:

I would buy one of these:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15526
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15525

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

K8.0 posted:

What sort of content do you intend to watch? One thing that's worth keeping in mind is that ultrawides are actually kinda rear end for viewing 16:9 content, because they have worse BLB than normal LCDs. It's super obvious in dark scenes of a movie when the corners of your monitor that should be pure black are instead brighter than the movie content.

Also, you linked the same 4k monitor twice. Not sure if you were actually looking at two of them.

Whoops, didn't mean to link the 31.5" twice. Hrm, yeah it's mostly 16:9 movies/shows. I was looking to get an IPS panel, but I think all of the 27"+ ones are ultrawide. So if I went with a VA panel instead maybe something like the LG 32GK650F-B?

Happy Pizza Guy
Jun 24, 2004

"Yeah, it was incredible, the drugs, the sex, the all-night parties. I really miss that Shining Time Station."
Grimey Drawer

These look quite similar to the Wirecutter-recommended Fully Jarvis monitor arms that I was about to buy. Having trouble seeing a reason to pay a 100% markup for sleeker branding and a few more color choices.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011
Finally looking to upgrade from 60Hz. Reading back the last few pages, I see the LG 27GL83A-B is a routine recommendation, but curious if there was any other strong contenders before hopping on. My current monitors are a hand-me-down 8~9 year old (20 inch) and my 11.5 year old (19 inch) from my first PC build so I'm sure I'll be pleased regardless, but informed choices are good.

Usage:
  • Mostly play Rocket League in terms of games, but dabble in some racing/FPS games now and then
  • Working from home 100% till at least Sept and at least 60% after that so a better monitor would be nice for that too
  • Often watch TV/YT/etc on my PC instead of bothering with my crappy old TV
Budget: Flexible, but aim for bang-for-buck and was thinking ~$300 (LG 27GL83A-B probably about highest I'd want to go)
GPU: GTX 1080
Other considerations/concerns:
  • I sit pretty close to my monitors. ~16 inches for controller games, ~23 inches for KB&M, ~28 inches when watching/reading stuff (feet up, leaning back/to the side) ... could back up for the controller case easily I suppose
  • My desk isn't huge, 24 or 27 could fit, but 27 might start encroaching on feet up space when chilling measuring roughly out today
  • Given the above two, not sure if 27 inch might be more monitor than needed if there was a compelling 24-inch, cheaper equivalent
  • For Rocket League, I assume I'm fine with 1440p (get basically solid max-allowed-by-game 250 FPS at weird 1050p resolution my current main has), but not sure about other more modern games--do 144Hz+ tend to be smooth/not tearing for newer games if I can't maintain a solid 144Hz? Not aiming to feel pushed to upgrade my GPU soon
  • Is there any rule of thumb for what sort of FPS difference is expected between 1080p and 1440p?

Anyway, guess I'm mostly just curious if my concerns above are sensible and there's maybe a better alternative or if the LG 27GL83A-B is just so good for the price that I should probably just go for it and rearrange my desktop (move monitors back from being basically at the edge) a bit to rescue my kicking-up-feet space.

Edit: Also live fairly close to a Micro Center, not sure if they generally have deals on monitors to be worth going with it over Amazon.

bUm fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jul 6, 2020

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Looking at getting a 27” 1440/144 IPS monitor.

Been reading the thread for a while and was always looking at getting an ultrawide but decided it really wasn’t going to fit my use, so I’ve kind of glossed over the 27” recommendations for a while.

I see the LG 27GL83A being the common recommendation recently for price and availability. Assuming neither of those were a concern, what would be at the top? I see other monitors like Asus TUF VG27AQ or the older PG279Q have good reviews but can’t get a good read on what’s latest on the market to compare things.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

El Mero Mero posted:

Whoops, didn't mean to link the 31.5" twice. Hrm, yeah it's mostly 16:9 movies/shows. I was looking to get an IPS panel, but I think all of the 27"+ ones are ultrawide. So if I went with a VA panel instead maybe something like the LG 32GK650F-B?

Most of the 27" are 16:9 - they are more common than ultrawide. I think the general opinion is that you're going to be better off with IPS than VA for most purposes.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

clockworkjoe posted:

I was struck by the same thing when I was setting it up yesterday, and I went and re-tightened that screw at the bottom super hard and it got much better. The monitor still wobbles a bit, but it's thanks to that little rubber stub at the very middle.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Thanks thread for recommending the LG 27GL83A. I’ve never had a monitor like this. I’ve been using 60hz monitors for 14 years so this thing is a game changer for me. It was actually a lot easier to calibrate than my previous monitors. The only problem I have is HDR doesn’t like when I alt-tab. It takes me like 10 seconds to switch from a game to my desktop. I play a lot of Destiny 2 and it looks incredible with HDR on, but I kinda need to be able to quickly hop over to Firefox and/or Discord for inventory management and game chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mill Village posted:

Thanks thread for recommending the LG 27GL83A. I’ve never had a monitor like this. I’ve been using 60hz monitors for 14 years so this thing is a game changer for me. It was actually a lot easier to calibrate than my previous monitors. The only problem I have is HDR doesn’t like when I alt-tab. It takes me like 10 seconds to switch from a game to my desktop. I play a lot of Destiny 2 and it looks incredible with HDR on, but I kinda need to be able to quickly hop over to Firefox and/or Discord for inventory management and game chat.
Be sure to carefully read the patch notes for graphics drivers, because G-Sync/FreeSync and HDR keep breaking in all kinds of fun ways from patch to patch. It's the main reason you shouldn't always update automatically (except for the latest version which has some important security fixes).

If nothing else, the notes might at least tell your how and why things are breaking.