Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

K8.0 posted:

The sweet spot for high refresh gaming monitors is 27" 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync monitors - good ones, at least. They could previously be had for $300 but right now most of the options you should be considering are $350+. If you're that concerned about cost, I would say wait at least a few months and see if we see the usual dip in prices around the end of the year, or what else changes. You can also go for a 24" 1080p 144hz IPS monitor, which can be had in the $175ish range, but I'm really of the opinion that they don't represent that great of value compared to the 1440p options. Considering your current system and your intent to upgrade your GPU soon, I think you definitely are more in 1440p territory than 1080p.

When I upgrade my GPU it's probably going to be a mid-range option like a RTX3060 or whatever the AMD equivalent is going to be (RX 6700?) and it will have to be noticeably faster than my 4 year old GTX1070.

spasticColon fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jul 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Cactus posted:

Ah, re-branding concepts that already have perfectly good names to sound cooler, got it.

Not to be pedantic but curious. Does the qqwtf2000zhd style naming predate our like 1080p/4K style naming? I remember being very confused by VGA/QVGA cards and poo poo when I was a kid and it sounds like our current alphabet soup is the awful spawn of that original convention.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

tuyop posted:

Not to be pedantic but curious. Does the qqwtf2000zhd style naming predate our like 1080p/4K style naming? I remember being very confused by VGA/QVGA cards and poo poo when I was a kid and it sounds like our current alphabet soup is the awful spawn of that original convention.

HD hosed everything up. The "gold standard" Sony FW900 CRT had a max resolution of 2304 x 1440. Aspect ratio's always been a thing, of course.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
PSA for anyone that has a LG27GL83A-B and is adjusting the picture manually: Take a look at the Black Stabilizer option in the Game Adjust menu. No matter how much I messed with brightness, gamma, contrast, RGB, etc I couldn't get a good picture. While poking around I finally found the Black Stabilizer option and played around with it. Mine was at 50% by default.

I turned the Black Stabilizer down to 0% and literally said "holy poo poo" irl. Blacks are super deep and color is really vibrant now. Makes this upgrade from a TN panel go from "meh" to "100% worth the upgrade cost"

Edit: Someone posted this link for monitor settings: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#l
I don't have a colorometer or anything so this helped me get a solid starting place to dial in my monitor

Lackmaster fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 29, 2020

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yeah, I posted that, and yes, TFTCentral is a good place to go to get a good baseline to work from. The manufacturers know people want *bright* screens, even if it washes everything out, because bright is akin to ~shiny and chrome~.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Since I'm more or less happy with 1080p desktop gaming on a 24" screen I might just get this monitor since it uses an 144Hz IPS panel:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-tuf-gaming-23-8-ips-led-fhd-freesync-monitor-black/6395359.p?skuId=6395359

Or am I going to be genuinely blown away by going up to 27" and 1440p?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Lackmaster posted:

PSA for anyone that has a LG27GL83A-B and is adjusting the picture manually: Take a look at the Black Stabilizer option in the Game Adjust menu. No matter how much I messed with brightness, gamma, contrast, RGB, etc I couldn't get a good picture. While poking around I finally found the Black Stabilizer option and played around with it. Mine was at 50% by default.

I turned the Black Stabilizer down to 0% and literally said "holy poo poo" irl. Blacks are super deep and color is really vibrant now. Makes this upgrade from a TN panel go from "meh" to "100% worth the upgrade cost"

Black stabilizer is basically a gamma adjustment and if the 28GL83A is anything like my 34GK950F, 50 is the neutral setting. At 0 colors look comical, go look at some photos. Alternatively, go to http://deadpixeltest.com/ full screen the black test image, and see how at 50 and below nothing changes, but above 50 the brightness floor is raised. It's meant to help you deal with areas of poor contrast in games, it can't alter the monitor's fundamental contrast.

spasticColon posted:

Since I'm more or less happy with 1080p desktop gaming on a 24" screen I might just get this monitor since it uses an 144Hz IPS panel:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-tuf-gaming-23-8-ips-led-fhd-freesync-monitor-black/6395359.p?skuId=6395359

Or am I going to be genuinely blown away by going up to 27" and 1440p?

If your goal is just to save money you can get one of several very similar monitors in the $170-ish range. I'm not sure which particular one that one is because they don't list the model number, but it's probably not a great deal. Regardless, none of them have exceptional reviews. I think the panel they're all using has some fundamental QC issues because severe backlight bleed seems to be very common.

1440p is 78% more pixels, it's definitely a big difference. I don't think anyone is going to tell you to stick to 1080p for any reason other than budget constraints at this point. Given that you've just built a new system and are probably going to spend $350-400+ on a GPU in the near future, going with such a budget monitor seems silly to me. While some people have been unhappy with the particular first 1440p monitor they've bought, I don't think I've seen anyone willing to go back to 1080p after except maybe a few people who exclusively play competitive CSGO or Overwatch.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 29, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'd like to "future-proof" by getting a 1440p monitor, but 1080p gaming is gonna look like rear end on that kind of monitor right? (I have a 970, not going to be able to upgrade for the foreseeable future)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Rinkles posted:

I'd like to "future-proof" by getting a 1440p monitor, but 1080p gaming is gonna look like rear end on that kind of monitor right? (I have a 970, not going to be able to upgrade for the foreseeable future)

ive seen so many asses taht look better than 1080p on a 1440 screen its not even funny

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Rinkles posted:

A 970 might not drive a 1440p screen at 144 Hz at high settings, but it’ll do fine driving 1440p at medium settings at decent frame rates. The bigger problem for you (and me, I still have a 970 til the 3000 series come out) is that you can either massively overpay to get a GSync monitor or else you have to miss out on VRR because 9xx GPUs won’t do FreeSync.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Kalman posted:

A 970 might not drive a 1440p screen at 144 Hz at high settings, but it’ll do fine driving 1440p at medium settings at decent frame rates. The bigger problem for you (and me, I still have a 970 til the 3000 series come out) is that you can either massively overpay to get a GSync monitor or else you have to miss out on VRR because 9xx GPUs won’t do FreeSync.

its not the cleanest solution in the world but its worth mentioning that there are cards more performant than the 970 that cost less than the gsync module in most monitors, and that its not too hard to resell old video cards :shrug:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
it's time to get off Maxwell anyway. Yes, landmark generation, blah blah, but it's fading badly in modern DX11 titles let alone ones with only DX12/Vulkan support where it just craters. It was fading two years ago, now it's just bad.

The only Maxwells worth owning right now are the 980 Ti (and even then I wouldn't go out of my way to get it unless it were astronomically cheap) and whatever card for HTPC use (since it's the first generation with H265 decoding and of course works perfectly fine at older stuff as well).

Not trying to be like "haha your GPU sucks" but if you can convince some sucker to give you $100-120 for it on craigslist, that would give you an even-money trade to a RX 480/580 which is generally no slower and overall a much better card for 2020 games. Then it's somebody else's problem.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 29, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I should probably do a whole new build, but that's out of the question at the moment. An incremental upgrade is also a bit tricky, even if I had the money, because my case requires a blower design, which appear to be going the way of the dodo.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Rinkles posted:

I should probably do a whole new build, but that's out of the question at the moment. An incremental upgrade is also a bit tricky, even if I had the money, because my case requires a blower design, which appear to be going the way of the dodo.

If you don't plan on keeping the GTX 970 they still for ~150 or so on ebay. There are some GTX 1070s on there with blowers that would net you about $100, be more performant, and be compatible with freesync. Idk your comfort level with these things but if your desire to upgrade your hardware is strong enough you might be able to do it cheaper than you thought :shrug:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Probably not feasible for a variety of reasons atm, but thanks for the suggestion

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

K8.0 posted:

If your goal is just to save money you can get one of several very similar monitors in the $170-ish range. I'm not sure which particular one that one is because they don't list the model number, but it's probably not a great deal. Regardless, none of them have exceptional reviews. I think the panel they're all using has some fundamental QC issues because severe backlight bleed seems to be very common.

1440p is 78% more pixels, it's definitely a big difference. I don't think anyone is going to tell you to stick to 1080p for any reason other than budget constraints at this point. Given that you've just built a new system and are probably going to spend $350-400+ on a GPU in the near future, going with such a budget monitor seems silly to me. While some people have been unhappy with the particular first 1440p monitor they've bought, I don't think I've seen anyone willing to go back to 1080p after except maybe a few people who exclusively play competitive CSGO or Overwatch.

But if I want a decent 1440p monitor that's IPS/144Hz/Freesync/27" I'll have to spend at least $400 unless I can find a deal on one and said deals sell out very fast apparently. I think there was an LG monitor on Amazon that ticked all those boxes for ~$350 but was out of stock and I've looked at so many monitors on several different websites I can't even remember which one it was exactly. Right now I just want to play Deep Rock Galactic on a monitor that's not an 10 year old TN panel monitor that belongs in a museum.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

spasticColon posted:

But if I want a decent 1440p monitor that's IPS/144Hz/Freesync/27" I'll have to spend at least $400 unless I can find a deal on one and said deals sell out very fast apparently. I think there was an LG monitor on Amazon that ticked all those boxes for ~$350 but it kept going out of stock and I've looked at so many monitors on several different websites I can't even remember which one it was exactly. Right now I just want to play Deep Rock Galactic on a monitor that's not an 10 year old TN panel monitor that belongs in a museum.

LG 27GL83A, yeah. It's in stock on Amazon right now for $380 which isn't a historical low but is still probably the best deal around for now.

https://smile.amazon.com/LG-27GL83A-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07YGZL8XF

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

LG 27GL83A, yeah. It's in stock on Amazon right now for $380 which isn't a historical low but is still probably the best deal around for now.

https://smile.amazon.com/LG-27GL83A-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07YGZL8XF

I think that was the one I'm remembering but it was out of stock when I came across it. So much stuff is out of stock or on back order right now. It says in stock and ships on August 22nd. :sigh:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Rinkles posted:

You can in your video driver have it display it on the proper number of pixels and you get a nice thick black boarder (shrinking your screen size). This does matter for lazy console ports that max at 1080, if it maxes to 720 that's actually good since that integer scales to 1440p and will look way better than on a 1080p since you can actually run at native res. (there's not many games that max at 720p though, if you want to do it with 1080p you want to wait for 4k).

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

spasticColon posted:

I think that was the one I'm remembering but it was out of stock when I came across it. So much stuff is out of stock or on back order right now. It says in stock and ships on August 22nd. :sigh:

Amazon has a history of setting a date in the future and shipping earlier. It's said it'll ship August 9th/11th and sometimes it just comes back in stock.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
Since it looks like I'm working from home until [heat death of the universe] my employer has offered to buy me a monitor for home. I'll likely be replacing 2x 24" 1080P displays with 2x 27" displays. I'm thinking that since my employer is willing to pay $400 for a monitor I might as well go 4K. I do some photography and occasionally CAD work so I'd imagine the extra pixels will come in handy. I'll probably get a less expensive 27" 2560x1440 monitor as the second monitor next time I see a decent deal.

My only concern with 4K is that I do a fairly limited amount of gaming and don't have the GPU to push 4k at any sort of reasonable FPS. I don't mind dropping the resolution down to 2560x1440 or 1080P, but I'm wondering how bad scaling would look? In theory I would think 1080P scaling would look fairly good since it could just quadruple every pixel, but I'd be curious for feedback.

Looking through the sub-$400 monitors on Amazon, nothing stands out too strongly, but the LG 27UL500-W seemed like the best choice since it actually touts is color spectrum. Anything else I should be looking at?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Since it looks like I'm working from home until [heat death of the universe] my employer has offered to buy me a monitor for home. I'll likely be replacing 2x 24" 1080P displays with 2x 27" displays. I'm thinking that since my employer is willing to pay $400 for a monitor I might as well go 4K. I do some photography and occasionally CAD work so I'd imagine the extra pixels will come in handy. I'll probably get a less expensive 27" 2560x1440 monitor as the second monitor next time I see a decent deal.

My only concern with 4K is that I do a fairly limited amount of gaming and don't have the GPU to push 4k at any sort of reasonable FPS. I don't mind dropping the resolution down to 2560x1440 or 1080P, but I'm wondering how bad scaling would look? In theory I would think 1080P scaling would look fairly good since it could just quadruple every pixel, but I'd be curious for feedback.

Looking through the sub-$400 monitors on Amazon, nothing stands out too strongly, but the LG 27UL500-W seemed like the best choice since it actually touts is color spectrum. Anything else I should be looking at?

Running a 4K at 1440p looks great if you can run it, don’t worry! 1080p is also fine as far as that goes.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

BeastOfExmoor posted:

In theory I would think 1080P scaling would look fairly good since it could just quadruple every pixel, but I'd be curious for feedback.

Doesn’t work like this although nvidia, amd and intel have recently added support for integer scaling if you have the right driver and right GPU.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

tehinternet posted:

Sweet summer child, there are more dumb meaningless acronyms than you know. How else can we trick confuse people into buying a lovely TV/display in 2020?!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_display_resolution

This is amazing :allears:

edit:

Kalman posted:

I have a 970 and it runs games at 1440p 144Hz fine. I obviously can't ultra-max any recent AAA games until I upgrade it, but hey, aren't these the exact kind of times our Steam backlogs are for? That little voice in my head as I tried to justify my tenth impulse buy in that steam sale five years ago was saying "even if I don't play it right away, at least I'll have it for a rainy day, and at this price it's a steal" [click]

Well, that rainy day is now, and your 970 will run five-or-so year old AAA games at or near max settings at that resolution, so if you've a backlog that is anything like the average Steam account owner's, upgrading to 1440p isn't an entirely futile endeavour.

oops, meant to reply to the person you were replying to. Oh well.

Cactus fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Jul 29, 2020

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Figured I'd ask here since it is mostly display related: does anyone have recommendations for a Displayport KVM (1 or 2 monitors) capable of doing USB 2.0/3.0 and 165hz/gsync?

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Lackmaster posted:

Edit: Someone posted this link for monitor settings: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#l
I don't have a colorometer or anything so this helped me get a solid starting place to dial in my monitor

I'm having some real issues calibrating the monitor myself after having it a week. Even trying TFT's ICC profiles and monitor settings, all whites and greys in web browsing look way too red. Video seems fine, but all black colors on all games feel like there's significant IPS glow, which I wasn't expecting with this monitor considering how much praise it's been getting. My PC room has very low light all the time, so this could be making the matters worse. Also noticed an issue of the backlight glow in the bottom left corner that's significantly more than the others. Using the vivid setting with about 30 brightness feels the best with my own Windows color calibrate ICC. But the vivid setting locks out things like Black Stabilizer with I would turn down if I could to help fix the glow issue if that's actually part of the issue.

I've been on a TN laptop panel for years and never noticed any color or angle issues with that, so maybe the wider color gamut of an IPS isn't something that I'll even care about. I'm thinking of switching to a VA panel like this one. https://www.amazon.com/GFV27DAB-Color-Rich-HDR-Ready-G-Sync-Compatible-Full-Motion/dp/B086ZZBPY9/

Any experiences with VA panels for gaming? I'm most worried about going from super fast response times to anything lower could feel off no matter what it looks like. I'd even be fine holding onto the 27GL83, waiting maybe a year, and reselling it if there's any possible new and improved VA monitors on the horizon as a replacement.

Lister fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jul 29, 2020

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
What is the best monitor you can get for under 550, for mostly office work, excel files mostly. Maybe light movie watching and gaming. so I would like HDR and all that jazz.

I currently have a very old 2 x 22 inch monitor setup, because I had not been using a desktop. I can power this with a 1080ti. Is it still the LG 27GL83A-B?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

It's possible you got a bad panel or bad backlight, but while the black levels (and thus contrast) on LG IPS panels range from OK to poor by modern standards, the default color calibration on them tends to be fairly good. I don't know if it's the monitor, your color expectations being hosed from years of TN poo poo-ness, or maybe a software setting. Do you have HDR enabled in windows? That tends to make things quite messed up.

I wouldn't copy TFTCentral's color settings, because there are some differences between the 27GL83A and the 27GL850, either in the backlight or the way the panel is treated. If you want an off-the-shelf calibration, I'd be more inclined to refer to RTings who did a calibration on their review 27GL83A.

As I said in my other post, the black stabilizer is just a rapid gamma adjustment for messing with games and can't change the fundamental contrast the monitor is capable of. I don't believe it has any particular advantage over using the driver-level calibration tools.

While no IPS monitor is going to have superb black levels, you may want to consider a monitor based on an Innolux panel if they ever become available at reasonable prices again. They're slower than the LG panels, but much faster than VA, and they do have better contrast while typically retaining fairly good color performance. As far as I can tell VA is always going to have awful ghosting. Every time a new VA panel comes along it's hailed as the savior of monitors, and then on camera it turns out to be a huge disappointment.

Femur posted:

What is the best monitor you can get for under 550, for mostly office work, excel files mostly. Maybe light movie watching and gaming. so I would like HDR and all that jazz.

I currently have a very old 2 x 22 inch monitor setup, because I had not been using a desktop. I can power this with a 1080ti. Is it still the LG 27GL83A-B?

Depends on how much you care about gaming and what games, but for desktop use I would be very inclined to point you in the direction of something 4k. For the most part HDR on monitors really isn't really a thing, so you probably should scratch that off your list of things to care about.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004

K8.0 posted:

Depends on how much you care about gaming and what games, but for desktop use I would be very inclined to point you in the direction of something 4k. For the most part HDR on monitors really isn't really a thing, so you probably should scratch that off your list of things to care about.

The gaming is only theoretical at the momment..

So probably get a 4k. Is the rtings recommendations pretty good? LG 27UK650-W? 27 seems kind of small goign from 2 22inch?

Femur fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 29, 2020

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost

Lister posted:

I'm having some real issues calibrating the monitor myself after having it a week. Even trying TFT's ICC profiles and monitor settings, all whites and greys in web browsing look way too red. Video seems fine, but all black colors on all games feel like there's significant IPS glow, which I wasn't expecting with this monitor considering how much praise it's been getting. My PC room has very low light all the time, so this could be making the matters worse. Also noticed an issue of the backlight glow in the bottom left corner that's significantly more than the others. Using the vivid setting with about 30 brightness feels the best with my own Windows color calibrate ICC. But the vivid setting locks out things like Black Stabilizer with I would turn down if I could to help fix the glow issue if that's actually part of the issue.

I've been on a TN laptop panel for years and never noticed any color or angle issues with that, so maybe the wider color gamut of an IPS isn't something that I'll even care about. I'm thinking of switching to a VA panel like this one. https://www.amazon.com/GFV27DAB-Color-Rich-HDR-Ready-G-Sync-Compatible-Full-Motion/dp/B086ZZBPY9/

Any experiences with VA panels for gaming? I'm most worried about going from super fast response times to anything lower could feel off no matter what it looks like. I'd even be fine holding onto the 27GL83, waiting maybe a year, and reselling it if there's any possible new and improved VA monitors on the horizon as a replacement.
I'm on GL850, and I turned brightness in OSD all the way down to 0 (still a bit bright for my tastes, tbh), and the IPS glow is only somewhat noticeable if I'm looking at a solid dark screen. The panel has a couple of backlight bleed spots I'd seen in the store when buying it and considered acceptable losses, but at this setting they're 100% invisible. Then when HDR signal appears and the monitor switches into HDR mode, all the ugliness rears its head.

I downloaded some .avis and .jpgs of test patterns and tweaked brightness/contrast/saturation in NVidia control panel a bit, and things are looking lovely! Haven't changed white balance yet though, the results always seem weird when I do.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Portable Monitor Vissles-M 15.6 Inch FHD 1080P Type-C
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CXP6JM9/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=sl1&tag=tawt-20&linkId=8bbdc3d62bd6d10d99e74c4acea72596&language=en_US

Thinking about this for my RaspPi 4, to play games on. I like that it has a Speaker. I could put it on a little laptop stand + the RP, and set it on my bedside table to be near enough to see well.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Don't mind me, I just came here to rant about how Dell monitors are defective pieces of poo poo and laugh at how the second post has a quote about the power saver mode bug from nearly 10 years ago and it still isn't loving fixed after umpteen generations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

eXXon posted:

Don't mind me, I just came here to rant about how Dell monitors are defective pieces of poo poo and laugh at how the second post has a quote about the power saver mode bug from nearly 10 years ago and it still isn't loving fixed after umpteen generations.

theyre among the best defective pieces of poo poo you can get on the market imho

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva
Wish I had just waited for the ASUS ProArt to get into stock instead of getting a U2719 for a secondary monitor. Arrived defective and had to RMA. Replacement has noticeable backlight bleed and a dead pixel, but at least it works. Also had to install the HDMI driver so it would stop shifting all my icons and windows to the Pixio every time the Dell turned off or went to standby. I've always had good experiences with Dell Ultrasharps so I just expected better.

edit: Dell business support is still exceptional though.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jul 30, 2020

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

eXXon posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Dell is the gold standard for a ton of poo poo, especially customer service and enterprise displays. Their gaming monitors are good as poo poo too, though the AW3420DW was super underwhelming as far as improving on its predecessor.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Statutory Ape posted:

theyre among the best defective pieces of poo poo you can get on the market imho

They are! Both of the two Dell monitors I used more recently are quite nice when they work and also defective in what should be easy to fix ways.

P2715Q: I borrowed one at work from someone who stopped using it mainly because it wouldn't wake from sleep mode on his Macbook. I had to give up on it because I had the same drat issue with a Linux desktop and Win/Linux laptop. It was out of warranty by then and Dell techs acknowledge that it's a defect in early revisions that can be fixed with a firmware update... that they refuse to provide, instead demanding an exchange.

S2716DG: Again a nice monitor and again has a known issue with its "Deep Sleep" mode. The fix is to disable it, which makes its regular sleep mode draw as much power as when it's on. Fine, whatever, except once again the regular sleep/power saver mode has issues waking up with HDMI and Displayport plugged in, which I didn't find out about until I tried to connect to my laptop and switch to my desktop. I was only able to fix it by unplugging everything, waiting a few minutes and being careful about the order I plug inputs back in. It's probably still under warranty and I assume I could exchange it but that's a huge pain considering that it's fine otherwise.

The fact that searching for sleep/wake/power saver issues brings up results for dozens of Dell models going back 10+ years suggests that they really don't have their poo poo together.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

eXXon posted:

They are! Both of the two Dell monitors I used more recently are quite nice when they work and also defective in what should be easy to fix ways.

P2715Q: I borrowed one at work from someone who stopped using it mainly because it wouldn't wake from sleep mode on his Macbook. I had to give up on it because I had the same drat issue with a Linux desktop and Win/Linux laptop. It was out of warranty by then and Dell techs acknowledge that it's a defect in early revisions that can be fixed with a firmware update... that they refuse to provide, instead demanding an exchange.

S2716DG: Again a nice monitor and again has a known issue with its "Deep Sleep" mode. The fix is to disable it, which makes its regular sleep mode draw as much power as when it's on. Fine, whatever, except once again the regular sleep/power saver mode has issues waking up with HDMI and Displayport plugged in, which I didn't find out about until I tried to connect to my laptop and switch to my desktop. I was only able to fix it by unplugging everything, waiting a few minutes and being careful about the order I plug inputs back in. It's probably still under warranty and I assume I could exchange it but that's a huge pain considering that it's fine otherwise.

The fact that searching for sleep/wake/power saver issues brings up results for dozens of Dell models going back 10+ years suggests that they really don't have their poo poo together.

they also do the thing where turning the monitor off will hard-disconnect the monitor from the displayport and rearrange all your desktop icons.

The sleep bug and disconnect behavior are smudges on excellent hardware, as much as I love dell I'm not heartbroken to have ended up with an Acer X34p instead of an AW3418DW.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
Is the LG 27BL85U-W the same as LG 27UK850-W except the BL is business edition or something? What does that mean?

Femur fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 30, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The -W or -B on LG monitors is just the color.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

eXXon posted:

Alright yeah, that’s real dumb. I get the frustration. At work we have the same issues with garbage rear end Lenovo monitors. Amazing price on them for IPS displays, but Jesus Christ do they have dumbass issues like the one you’ve mentioned above.