Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
My take is that don't get an OLED as a PC monitor unless you're willing to take the possibility of writing off a a thousand bucks over the next 3 years instead of something like 5-10 years. Also they're huge as gently caress and reflective.

Having said that, OLED is absolutely baller as far as image quality goes.

RE: M320QAN02

:) : "Hey guys, here's that 32" 4K 144hz panel you've been asking for years."

:neckbeard: : YES

*monkey's paw curls*

:) : "It has a technology in it that adds 2000 USD in retail value"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

the 83A? throw that poo poo in the loving garbage where it belongs

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Oct 24, 2020

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Cygni posted:

Whats funny about Gsync and 144hz is you will play around a bit with the new monitor and think "well... ok this looks great and all, but is it really that different?"

And then you will plug your old monitor back in to compare and audibly say "what the gently caress"

Then whenever you use a 60hz screen, you will get MAD at how windows look when you drag them around. Unusable!! Trash!! ugh!!!

When I first turned on 144hz I immediately got giddy at how smooth just moving my mouse around the desktop felt, then tried an actual game and my loving head exploded

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

chaleski posted:

When I first turned on 144hz I immediately got giddy at how smooth just moving my mouse around the desktop felt, then tried an actual game and my loving head exploded

ostensibly both my fps counter and my monitor confirm that its running at 144hz and receiving 144fps but for whatever reason it hasnt felt like a huge difference to me. i have a 10 y/o 60hz lcd as my secondary so i have a direct comparison available

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Verviticus posted:

ostensibly both my fps counter and my monitor confirm that its running at 144hz and receiving 144fps but for whatever reason it hasnt felt like a huge difference to me. i have a 10 y/o 60hz lcd as my secondary so i have a direct comparison available

Yeah I got a buddy who has a setup like yours and he doesn't even notice much difference either, meanwhile my work computer bothers me because the panel's only 60hz :shrug: It's most noticeable for me going from 60 to 100, anything above that is somewhat diminishing returns, I probably couldn't tell the difference between say 120 and 144

The next big thing I'm looking forward to is freesync, I'm hoping it's as gamechanging for me

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Jeff Fatwood posted:

My take is that don't get an OLED as a PC monitor unless you're willing to take the possibility of writing off a a thousand bucks over the next 3 years instead of something like 5-10 years. Also they're huge as gently caress and reflective.

Having said that, OLED is absolutely baller as far as image quality goes.

RE: M320QAN02

:) : "Hey guys, here's that 32" 4K 144hz panel you've been asking for years."

:neckbeard: : YES

*monkey's paw curls*

:) : "It has a technology in it that adds 2000 USD in retail value"
Yeah it's literally the panel I've been waiting to upgrade from 1080p for years and even asked about ITT repeatedly. It's probably gonna be :singings: as you say though, and around 1k is the max for me though.

On the other hand, I don't think this was highlighted in the initial post, but there are some more good news in the actual article, I think I'd be able to sacrifice HDR if it's a big difference:

quote:

32″ IPS Panel with 4K and High Refresh Rate In Production Soon
A 32″ sized panel is due to go in to mass production soon around Dec 2020. The M320QAN02.3 offers a 3840 x 2160 (“4K”) resolution combined with a 144Hz refresh rate. It also offers a 400 cd/m2 brightness, 600 cd/m2 peak brightness for HDR (16-zone edge lit local dimming), true 10-bit colour depth and wide gamut with 99% Adobe RGB coverage listed. With that in production soon, we can perhaps hope to see some screens announced soon using this panel! Finally some 32″ models with 4K @ 144Hz perhaps?

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Oh so, there is an edgelit version also on the way. Should probably read more carefully, I kept it's assuming the stupid microled one and thus prohibitively expensive. :doh:

It's going to be really tempting if it's at least decent and max 1k. I think that's a common cut off for a lot of people.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
27"/1440p/240 Hz/IPS panel... sure would be nice if someone made a monitor out of that with a decent overdrive implementation. All the current monitors out there with that combination of resolution and refresh rate are lacking in one or more areas (most of them are VAs and struggle to not smear at 60 Hz).

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

27"/1440p/240 Hz/IPS panel... sure would be nice if someone made a monitor out of that with a decent overdrive implementation. All the current monitors out there with that combination of resolution and refresh rate are lacking in one or more areas (most of them are VAs and struggle to not smear at 60 Hz).
One issue with that is that it's right at the limit of DP 1.4, and over it if you want HDR, which means you basically have to go through HDMI 2.1, unless DSC can make up the deficit. Makes it hard to slap a (pretty phony) sticker about HDR on the monitor.

I can't recall what the sweet spot is for 1440p refresh rate to support HDR10.

And then there's the rub about a lot of people not having the GPUs to support that.

I still hope to get HDMI 2.1, but for a variety of reasons.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

ufarn posted:

200hz apparently

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort#Refresh_frequency_limits_for_HDR_video

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

ufarn posted:

One issue with that is that it's right at the limit of DP 1.4, and over it if you want HDR, which means you basically have to go through HDMI 2.1, unless DSC can make up the deficit. Makes it hard to slap a (pretty phony) sticker about HDR on the monitor.

And then there's the rub about a lot of people not having the GPUs to support that.

I still hope to get HDMI 2.1, but for a variety of reasons.

Yeah, I'll take 240 Hz 8 bit over the double useless HDR400 in a windows environment any day. Never mind that almost everything we look at, especially older games that are relatively easy to hit 240 Hz on at that resolution are all mastered for sRGB anyway.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

the 83A? throw that poo poo in the loving garbage where it belongs

Wait what? I finally will get mine next week, got charged and a shipping confirmation yesterday... Is there something wrong with it? That article is way too long and I have no idea what kind of panels are in what models of monitors...

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Hemish posted:

Wait what? I finally will get mine next week, got charged and a shipping confirmation yesterday... Is there something wrong with it? That article is way too long and I have no idea what kind of panels are in what models of monitors...

There's nothing wrong with it, he's just being dramatic that's all. It's an incredibly good monitor and still the number one choice for everyone who wants to move to 1440p144 at a great price/performance point

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Paul's just joking, there's always new stuff coming out, and we all know that finding a perfect monitor has been pretty much impossible for the past ten years because you have to weigh a million trade-offs with each of the models.

We always pin our hopes on some random panel coming out, and then you end up with them being in space monoliths at price points like $1,100 instead.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

For a second I was hoping someone embedded a mondo panel vertically in like a speaker housing. Very disappointed.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

ufarn posted:

Paul's just joking, there's always new stuff coming out, and we all know that finding a perfect monitor has been pretty much impossible for the past ten years because you have to weigh a million trade-offs with each of the models.

We always pin our hopes on some random panel coming out, and then you end up with them being in space monoliths at price points like $1,100 instead.

Oh ok. Phew. I've lasted this long on 1200p 60hz panels, I can handle getting a 1440p 144hz if it's good even if it's not the greatest or fastest... or about to be replaced by better stuff.

My issue is with video cards, I skip a generation and then I really want the new stuff... I currently have a GTX 1070 and I really want a RTX 3080. Not enough to bot for it so I'm waiting, it's not like my 1070 is suddenly not good enough but it's making me not play a few games I purchased lately because I want to play them on my new incoming monitor and RTX 3080 somewhere before 2023 hopefully.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Hemish posted:

Oh ok. Phew. I've lasted this long on 1200p 60hz panels, I can handle getting a 1440p 144hz if it's good even if it's not the greatest or fastest... or about to be replaced by better stuff.

My issue is with video cards, I skip a generation and then I really want the new stuff... I currently have a GTX 1070 and I really want a RTX 3080. Not enough to bot for it so I'm waiting, it's not like my 1070 is suddenly not good enough but it's making me not play a few games I purchased lately because I want to play them on my new incoming monitor and RTX 3080 somewhere before 2023 hopefully.
My Dell monitors are almost ten years old, I'm just awful at upgrading. I kinda wanna wait for HDMI 2.1, but I probably don't really need it for anything realistically. Having the option for HDMI-VRR sounds nice for consoles, but realistically all that will just be in the TV room anyway.

Maybe I'l just postpone things another five years and wait for holograms to drop to a reasonable price point.

The Dell monitor sounds like one of the first cases to actually get Overdrive right (without requiring a native G-Sync module), but also keep in mind that it's the complete opposite if you run with FreeSync/G-Sync disabled apparently.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

There's nothing wrong with it, he's just being dramatic that's all. It's an incredibly good monitor and still the number one choice for everyone who wants to move to 1440p144 at a great price/performance point
So what's the difference between it and the GL850? Unlike the Dell that I ordered it's actually available locally in stock.

ufarn posted:

My Dell monitors are almost ten years old, I'm just awful at upgrading. I kinda wanna wait for HDMI 2.1, but I probably don't really need it for anything realistically. Having the option for HDMI-VRR sounds nice for consoles, but realistically all that will just be in the TV room anyway.

Maybe I'l just postpone things another five years and wait for holograms to drop to a reasonable price point.
Personally, if the Dell doesn't ship soon, I'm waiting for direct brain-computer interface. Musk said it's just around the corner.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Also, it sounds like Dell is running some kind of sale on the monitor or on their site which seems ridiculous. It's like $150 off compared to third-party retailers from what I can tell. Supposedly, DEALABS20 works as a discount code, too.

Definitely see if buying directly is cheaper for you.

Regardless of what future panels can do, this is a pretty nuts deal by the look of it.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 24, 2020

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

edit: misread

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

ufarn posted:

Also, it sounds like Dell is running some kind of sale on the monitor or on their site which seems ridiculous. It's like $150 off compared to third-party retailers from what I can tell. Supposedly, DEALABS20 works as a discount code, too.

Definitely see if buying directly is cheaper for you.

Regardless of what future panels can do, this is a pretty nuts deal by the look of it.
I got excited but my local Dell site is trash and doesn't sell anything directly unfortunately. The German site doesn't have it at all and the French one lists it at 430EUR before the 20% code, but won't actually let you add it to the cart. Maybe there's some kind of secret pre-order list but I don't speak French well enough to figure it out. In any case that works out to only about $30 cheaper than what I have it ordered for.

E: but yeah definitely check out their site, they often do sales

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 24, 2020

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

ufarn posted:

Code doesn't work on the US site, far as I can tell.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Hemish posted:

Just joking around, I know they literally ordered a panel like the day before, and the tech being obsolete before you even get it home is the gag of the onion movie clip.

The difference in all this stuff is incremental nerd stuff and doesn’t really matter much, plus it will be an unknown amount of time before these new parts go into monitors that you can actually buy, then prices tend to be higher at launch, etc. So it’ll be a while before these parts are relevant to anyone just buying a monitor.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It took about four years for the 1440p high refresh IPS market to stabilize with good products at reasonable prices. I'm hoping it goes better at 4k, but I still don't expect reasonably priced good 4k gaming monitors for at least a couple years.

There's really nothing wrong with buying 1440p monitors right now. If you're the sort of person who is going to buy the newest, most expensive GPUs to drive 4k high refresh, you're the sort of person who can afford to resell your 1440p monitor for a $100 loss next year and be happy with $100 for a year's worth of use.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

32in monitors are gross, yeah i said it

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

It's... :stare:

(phone is picking up light of the adjacent window)

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

3200mhz RAM is literally the Devil. Literally.
Lipstick Apathy
Is that the CX48? I really want one but LG Australia are price gouging the gently caress out of them

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I wish LG would do a smaller sized version. The ergonomics of a 48" on a normal desk doesn't make any sense.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Yeah it's the LG CX 48". Owns bones. Glad I went with this instead of the 38" LG ultrawide honestly. Same width but like double the height and the colors are phenomenal

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Someone had to show off their CX 48 and now I'm considering it again. I went and looked at one in person and the guy knocked off $100 making it $1397. It's a lot for a monitor and the size is daunting but the display blows away my LG ultrawide by a lot and it's not all that much bigger.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rusty posted:

Someone had to show off their CX 48 and now I'm considering it again. I went and looked at one in person and the guy knocked off $100 making it $1397. It's a lot for a monitor and the size is daunting but the display blows away my LG ultrawide by a lot and it's not all that much bigger.

OLED makes the $1000+ tier of monitors a pretty tough sell and pretty much kills the $2000+ tier of monitors. Monitor companies gotta get their prices under control, prices have crept up and up since the XB270HU launched, first it was $700 for the XB270HU, then $1200 for the early ultrawides, then it was $2400 for the FALD 4K144 monitors, now it's $3600 for the miniLED 32" panels. If you've got the space (wall mount and sit back a couple feet, perhaps) the OLEDs are just a better option all around.

If LG can get the size down to like 40" or so then the high-end monitor market is just done. 40" would put it in the same size class as a 34" ultrawide and people do those just fine.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 25, 2020

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, the plan is to wall mount it and sit back a bit. It would also replace the office TV, so it's just a great all around product, except for the burn in part. I think I'll probably do it, at least I have talked myself in to it seems like so whatever. Most content is 16:9 so the 21:9 monitor isn't always great anyway and I think the screen quality is more important than 144hz vs 120.

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013

Cygni posted:

32in monitors are gross, yeah i said it

shrike82 posted:

I wish LG would do a smaller sized version. The ergonomics of a 48" on a normal desk doesn't make any sense.

Coincidentally 32" 1440p ja 48" 4K is pretty much the same PPI so it's technically possible already. I'd probably get around the burn in worries with the 48" by just using a movable 32" window on the desktop for everything and treat it like a movable resizable smaller monitor. Kind of depressing though since you'd have literally several feet of reflective bezel all the time just to improve longevity.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

I will never ever have a monitor that's OLED

Just asking for trouble

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I will never ever have a monitor that's OLED

Just asking for trouble

Good sneakers are designed to be used and abused. So are good monitors.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Asus PG32UQX is going to be hard to resist... if it wasn't easy to resist by being $3500+ :v:

Looking at how IPS panels have moved it will take 5 years for it to get down to $1500.

Knot My President! posted:

It's... :stare:

(phone is picking up light of the adjacent window)

This what I'd like to do but I can't imagine giving up dual screens or having two on arms that get pushed out of the way doesn't seem like a realistic idea.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

KingEup posted:

Good sneakers are designed to be used and abused. So are good monitors.

You don't wear good sneakers. And good monitors don't have burn-in. :colbert:

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN
So I was recently looking for an ultrawide monitor that could do 144Hz for gaming purposes in the realm of $750 (I have a home office stipend at my new job in that amount so didn't want to stray too far above that). I ended up springing for the LG 34GK950F-B for $795, down from $1200 or whatever. It seems to be a model from 2019 but it checked all my boxes and came from a brand I really trust (I have bought non-curved ultrawides from LG before and liked them)--most of the youtube reviews I watched about it were very positive too.

Doing some research after the fact, I saw that the LG 34GP83A-B on Amazon is only at $850, and appears to be a newer model with better customer reviews. Similar specs otherwise it seems. Though going $100 over the stipend budget would not be ideal.

I've been away from home this past week and haven't actually opened the 34GK950F-B yet and could easily return it--do you all think I steered myself wrong springing for it? Worth noting I am not a monitor junkie at all, so it may very well be the case that I won't notice any actual difference between the two monitors.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Oct 25, 2020

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Trip report: OLED is absolutely stunning. Burn-in be damned, this thing is just not even in the same ballpark as normal monitors :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roumba
Jun 29, 2005
Buglord

Knot My President! posted:

Yeah it's the LG CX 48". Owns bones. Glad I went with this instead of the 38" LG ultrawide honestly. Same width but like double the height and the colors are phenomenal

Did you ever find a good adjustable wall mount for your CX?

I thought I found one I liked until I saw that it was four hundred loving dollars. There was a equally interesting wall+arm one that was about half of that, but I never expected those kinds of prices, so I haven't researched much further. Also, because all but the most high-end dealer's websites are garbage and don't let you filter by adjustable dimensions, etc.