Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

GTO posted:

Anything in between? Like, £4-600?

Don't know if it's available overseas but this is the one I've been using for a few months now: https://www.amazon.com/Acer-XV340CK-Pbmiipphzx-FREESYNC-Technology/dp/B08BG4GWRL

Not curved, but it is a 1440p, 144hz IPS display of a cheaper variety. There's some slight vignetting of the far corners of the screen while on bright web pages like SA, but it's barely noticeable in games and movies.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jan 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
You know what? TN panels aren't all that bad.

About a decade ago, I bought what I thought was a 21.5" 1080p IPS monitor, and I've been using it as my main since 2011. I've had no problems with viewing angles, gaming, movies, office crap, it's been great! The experience hasn't been any worse or better than my IPS monitors at work, and it's been a totally reliable workhorse.

So when I found out today that it's actually a TN panel...uhh...I guess I'd written off TN panels unfairly. I understood the difference between TN/IPS, but I guess I'd never really looked at mine closely. I suppose it's good to know that I can be happy with a cheaper TN monitor. It opens up so many more options!

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Jan 22, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Yeah, the old HP 24" I use as a secondary monitor is TN and was always surprisingly decent. The 23" Dell TN it is replacing was not, though.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

I was very happy with my Acer TN 1440/75hz panel I bough 18 months or so back.

And then I got the LG 144hz IPS panel to use in a dual monitor setup and the difference is night and day. Both in consistency of colour across the panel at different angles and in the 'ghosting' (or whatever) in the TN panel. I hadn't noticed it too much before but side by side its very noticeable.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s more that it’s hard to go wrong with an IPS panel whereas TN can go horrifically wrong

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You can absolutely get decent TN monitors, but the risk of getting a lovely one makes it not worth it over just spending a little more for IPS.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I'm confused about the current state of G-Sync and Freesync (Premium?). If I'm using an nVidia GPU, is one better than the other? I'd assume I'd want G-Sync because, hey, they're both nVidia. But from reading the thread it kinda sounds like Freesync is becoming the standard, regardless of GPU? And you just need to toggle something in the nVidia control panel to get the benefits on nVidia hardware?

Specifically, I'm looking at the LG 34GK950F-B vs 34GK950G-B. The Freesync one has a higher refresh rate, an extra HDMI port, and is cheaper, so if it works just as well with a GTX3080 as the g-sync version would, it seems like the better option?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Lawen posted:

I'm confused about the current state of G-Sync and Freesync (Premium?). If I'm using an nVidia GPU, is one better than the other? I'd assume I'd want G-Sync because, hey, they're both nVidia. But from reading the thread it kinda sounds like Freesync is becoming the standard, regardless of GPU? And you just need to toggle something in the nVidia control panel to get the benefits on nVidia hardware?

In theory, actual G-Sync is better than Freesync. In practice there's not a whole lot of difference between a good monitor with a good G-Sync Compatible implementation and a "true" G-Sync monitor. That makes the $100+ price premium "true" G-Sync monitors demand hard to justify, hence the preference for good G-Sync Compatible monitors.

The catch it G-Sync Compatible monitors only work with newer nVidia cards--if you've got a 970 or something it won't work.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Freesync has a range where variable refresh rate can be used, typically 48 to whatever the max refresh rate is of the monitor. This shouldn't be an issue for most users.

Gsync works from 1 fps all the way up.

IMO there is no reason to opt for gsync.

Nvidia is rolling out the nvidia reflex feature (I think that's what its called), which advertises lower input latency if you run your peripherals through the monitor, but I don't see a need for that either.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Lawen posted:

Specifically, I'm looking at the LG 34GK950F-B vs 34GK950G-B. The Freesync one has a higher refresh rate, an extra HDMI port, and is cheaper, so if it works just as well with a GTX3080 as the g-sync version would, it seems like the better option?
Native G-Sync is better in that it has better overdrive. Mainly in how it just works at every framerate/Hz without you having to fiddle with stuff which is how people end up with terrible overdrive settings on their monitor.

Nvidia also are trying to push "G-Sync Ultimate", which, to be concise, is a complete and utter failure, to the point where Nvidia keep trying to change the definition to something that will actually meet its requirements. These days, it's basically just an easy way to tell if the monitor has a native G-Sync module.

A Freesync/G-Sync Compatible monitor with good overdrive benchmarks is fine overall, and unless you're obnoxiously rich, the price tag of native G-Sync is hilariously absurd.

Hardware Unboxed are really good at reviewing monitors on YouTube, and they'll quickly tell you if performance is off, or if something like an SRGB mode is missing.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That's something others may be able to provide more input on, but at 24" I doubt it would make a significant difference unless you were sitting really close to the monitor, like a foot away. Even then I'm not sure the pixel density would be better than having a higher refresh rate for video. I've never used a 1440p 24" monitor so can't compare it directly to 1080p, but maybe someone else with direct experience can chime in.

Edit: What resolution are the videos you're streaming? If they are HD then the 1440p is almost definitely overkill, whereas perhaps 4k might benefit? Even that I'm not sure about.

It's a mixture of HD and 4k video content. But I sit about 25-30 inches away from the monitor, so I'm convinced. Thanks!

Namnesor posted:

I just recently bought two of these and I've been very happy with them.

https://www.amazon.com/Pixio-Radeon-FreeSync-Esports-Monitor/dp/B08GYFQD6L/

That looks pretty nice, and it fits the 24-inch/1080p/144 hz/IPS categories. I'm curious, how steady is that stand? It looks very fragile/unstable to me at a glance.

Also, I'm open to more recommendations on this, including more expensive options.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

A couple pages ago I asked about gaming specs being overkill for a work monitor and found out that I don't need to consider those things, so I went with this one:

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27UK850-W-4k-uhd-led-monitor

It's got a low refresh rate (60hz) and just-okay response time (5ms) but from what I understand only people who use it for video games would care about improvements for those figures - am I correct about that? I'll be doing the standard work stuff like spreadsheets and docs, plus some photo editing and web development, and some regular web browsing.

Does that seem like a good monitor for my needs? I got it for $315 (plus $20 tax). It's Amazon Warehouse used/good with the "Missing Bag / Filter" disclaimer that LODGE NORTH had on the last page. I feel like that's a fine price and the reviews are good but honestly I am overwhelmed by all the terminology and research that's required to make a truly informed decision on a monitor. I wish there was one big factory that made every monitor on earth and the only spec was size 🙃

I'll be using this as a second display on a 2016 15" macbook pro so getting pretty old in computer years, will I have any issues using this monitor to it's full potential? In the about screen I have "Graphics: Radeon Pro 450 2 GB Intel HD Graphics 530 1536 MB".

I also see that the monitor can be hooked up with USB C - some articles say that it will charge the laptop, is that true while and will that work while it's being used? I would love to use this instead of the giant mac AC power brick. Is there a change in quality between usb c and hdmi? Each article I read comparing them said usb was "best for laptop users" but don't say if that's because of portability or what. Since I'm 99% wfh now I don't care much about portability and am wondering if I should use hdmi or displayport in case there's a noticeable difference.

Sorry for all the questions, I fall into an analysis paralysis trap with things like this. I can still cancel the LG order so if anyone thinks there's a better option around $325 I could opt for that one instead. Thanks :)

Oh hey, just to update on this, I got the monitor and, to me, it essentially looks and functions like brand new. The box was clearly not factory sealed, and only the power cable was undone from its factory twist-ties. It looks like someone opened it, plugged it in, decided they didn't need it, and returned it.

Worth noting, and outside of its condition, that you definitely wanna hit the "Amazon packaging" button or whatever it says. It came to me straight in the LG box, so a more nefarious Amazon person could've swiped it if they were desperate for a new monitor or something.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
I think I want to redo most of my setup (new desk, new monitors, though same old PC). I've got a Radeon 5700 XT (supports Freesync) with a Ryzen 7 8-core processor and 16 GB of RAM. My setup would be used for gaming, streaming TV/movies, and WFH.

I've used a couple of ultra-widescreens briefly, and really liked them for gaming, however I'm not sure if an ultra-widescreen is the best way to go for streaming/WFH. Would it be crazy to get one ultra-widescreen and one regular 32-34" monitor? Maybe get the regular monitor above the ultra-widescreen? Or would I be better off just getting two nice 32-34" high-refresh-rate monitors?

I don't have a super-specific budget in mind, but I'd definitely be okay spending $1000-$1500 on this setup; could go higher (probably be willing to hit $2000) if the performance gains justified it.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

We're used to monitors with completely different characteristics having model names that are nearly identical, but AOC apparently thinks it's OK to keep using the same model name after changing the panel to one with much lower contrast.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

I think I want to redo most of my setup (new desk, new monitors, though same old PC). I've got a Radeon 5700 XT (supports Freesync) with a Ryzen 7 8-core processor and 16 GB of RAM. My setup would be used for gaming, streaming TV/movies, and WFH.

I've used a couple of ultra-widescreens briefly, and really liked them for gaming, however I'm not sure if an ultra-widescreen is the best way to go for streaming/WFH. Would it be crazy to get one ultra-widescreen and one regular 32-34" monitor? Maybe get the regular monitor above the ultra-widescreen? Or would I be better off just getting two nice 32-34" high-refresh-rate monitors?

I don't have a super-specific budget in mind, but I'd definitely be okay spending $1000-$1500 on this setup; could go higher (probably be willing to hit $2000) if the performance gains justified it.

Well, I just went from a 32" 16:9 to a 49" 32:9 around 24 hours ago so I feel eminently qualified to comment on this. :v:

Gotta say gaming on this beast (though I am not a "gamer" I enjoy playing some) is quite the experience. I was surprised at how many games support ultrawide. Sat around playing Everybody's Gone to the Rapture yesterday and it was a pretty epic experience with all this screen real estate.

But you basically have to think of it like a dual 27" setup that can merge together for things like games. It's far too loving wide for a single normal application to use in a meaningful manner. But since you can split it into two separate screens being fed from different inputs I can have my work PC running on half and Netflix or some other poo poo on the other half. It's great. Got a built in KVM switch too so I can share mouse and keyboard between the two.

10/10 would not go back to normal screens again. Desk feels _less_ crowded too somehow, maybe thanks to the curve.

(I got the Philips 498p9 which is more of a productivity oriented screen than gaming, 5120x1440 @ 60 hz.)

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Is there a program that can let me switch the audio source on a monitor? My desktop speakers are busted so until I get a new set I'm using the monitor speakers for audio with the headphones plugged into them as well. I'd like to switch between the headphones and speakers when necessary without having to plug\unplug into the awkward behind the monitor jack.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, ultrawide is the way of the future. There is no going back to dual monitors with poo poo inbetween.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

George H.W. oval office posted:

Is there a program that can let me switch the audio source on a monitor? My desktop speakers are busted so until I get a new set I'm using the monitor speakers for audio with the headphones plugged into them as well. I'd like to switch between the headphones and speakers when necessary without having to plug\unplug into the awkward behind the monitor jack.

Depending on the exact monitor, it might expose audio input controls that you can play with using something like ControlMyMonitor.

Otherwise you could do something like get a cheap USB audio adapter and use one of the various software utilities to switch between USB (headphones) or monitor audio. Or just get a $2 3.5mm extension so it's easier to plug/unplug the headphones.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, ultrawide is the way of the future. There is no going back to dual monitors with poo poo inbetween.
Show me an 7680x2160 120hz 54" ultrawide, and maybe I'll agree.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

Can't you just plug the headphones into the computer and then switch the audio output in Windows?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Can't you just plug the headphones into the computer and then switch the audio output in Windows?

Yea I'll probably just end up getting an extension cable. This was just trying to find a non purchase option

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I think I'm sold on ultrawide. I'm looking at the Samsung CRG9 (rtings recommended gaming monitor). It's 120hz, and the recommended super-ultrawide on rtings. It's a VA panel, which from the look of things in the ultrawide market is pretty standard, and this is for my bedroom/home office so I'm not generally worried about view angles, I think it should be fine.

Is there a higher-end model I should be looking at, or is this pretty much where it's at?

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

Dual monitors:

Ultrawide:

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Thanatosian posted:

Okay, I think I'm sold on ultrawide. I'm looking at the Samsung CRG9 (rtings recommended gaming monitor). It's 120hz, and the recommended super-ultrawide on rtings. It's a VA panel, which from the look of things in the ultrawide market is pretty standard, and this is for my bedroom/home office so I'm not generally worried about view angles, I think it should be fine.

Is there a higher-end model I should be looking at, or is this pretty much where it's at?

There's the 240hz variant of that screen which is the Samsung Odyssey G9

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EngineerJoe posted:

There's the 240hz variant of that screen which is the Samsung Odyssey G9
Two things: it's $900 more, and it has a 1000R curve instead of an 1800R curve, which if I understand curvature measurements correctly, is a substantially more curved monitor; I do a fair amount of streaming from my bed, which I think would be better on the flatter monitor.

Is the 240hz worth the extra $900? I looked at Dell, ASUS, and LG options, but their 49" ultrawides all seem to be at 60hz or 1080p.

EDIT: For reference, my current monitor is a 27" 1440 BenQ; I don't think I've ever had a refresh rate higher than 60hz on a monitor I own or work regularly on.

Double edit: And now I'm looking at smaller ultrawides but with better specs; this LG is $1500, and given how much I stream, the 21:9 aspect ratio might be better for me. I might try some weird setup with this widescreen plus my current BenQ, if I don't think it has enough screen real estate by itself for WFH.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 25, 2021

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)

LODGE NORTH posted:

Oh hey, just to update on this, I got the monitor and, to me, it essentially looks and functions like brand new. The box was clearly not factory sealed, and only the power cable was undone from its factory twist-ties. It looks like someone opened it, plugged it in, decided they didn't need it, and returned it.

Worth noting, and outside of its condition, that you definitely wanna hit the "Amazon packaging" button or whatever it says. It came to me straight in the LG box, so a more nefarious Amazon person could've swiped it if they were desperate for a new monitor or something.

I've had good luck with Amazon Warehouse like that before but in this case I didn't have your luck. In the settings menu it had a total time in operation indicator, and mine arrived here with 59 hours of use already. Not bad considering that I got it $100 off the lowest price it had ever been (for 2 days in November according to camel3) and ~$140 off the average price in the last year. I'm happy to save that cash in exchange for some other guy using it for about a week, but I do miss that nice feeling of opening a "used" open box item that still has all the factory shrink wrap...

As for the USB-C charging, it seems to work just fine for me. I guess I'm a little worried about about what some articles said about mismatched charging being bad for the battery over time, but it's a 5 year old MBP that I was planning on running into the ground so :shrug:.

e: also reading this thread has me convinced that I need a vertical monitor AND a wide monitor, two things I never thought about until this week but am obsessed with now.

gamer roomie is 41 fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jan 25, 2021

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Have there really been no announcements of sanely priced 1440p monitors this year? Seems it's all 4K monitors and 1440p with native G-Sync modules. I hate it here, with my 1080p60. :smith:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

ufarn posted:

Have there really been no announcements of sanely priced 1440p monitors this year? Seems it's all 4K monitors and 1440p with native G-Sync modules. I hate it here, with my 1080p60. :smith:

Probably because there're already a ton of reasonably priced 1440p monitors out there; the new hotness of HDMI 2.1 really only applies to high-hz 4k monitors, so that's what we're seeing right now. What exactly are you looking for in a monitor?--maybe we can suggest something.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Is there a decent, not incredibly expensive ultrawide which has an OK refresh rate? (eg 100 Hz or something, 144 obviously ideal but I assume that is a pipe dream). I can't tell how unreasonable this goal is. Ideally it would be very good for normal work but also OK for gaming, but I'm not sure if that second part is possible at a non-insane price.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

tildes posted:

Is there a decent, not incredibly expensive ultrawide which has an OK refresh rate? (eg 100 Hz or something, 144 obviously ideal but I assume that is a pipe dream). I can't tell how unreasonable this goal is. Ideally it would be very good for normal work but also OK for gaming, but I'm not sure if that second part is possible at a non-insane price.

Gigabyte and iiyama are both offering 34" 144hz ultrawides that are very competitively priced, around $400.

Edit: G34WQC is the gigabyte model number, gb3461wqsu-b1 is the iiyama.

Rebus fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jan 25, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

tildes posted:

The rtings best reviewed 144hz 1440p ultrawide Acer Nitro XV340CKP is only $450 on amazon, which seems an absurdly good deal

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

eggyolk posted:

Dual monitors:

Ultrawide:

:colbert:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Anyone know where I can find a reasonably priced, 15" to 17" 1920x1080 panel with VESA mount compatibility and an HDMI input? I'm having a hell of a time, all I can find is those kinda ugly cheapo ones for use with a RasPi or super expensive A/V stuff.

Don't care if it's IPS or PVA or TN, it's a secondary monitor for keeping an eye on system load while doing other things.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

dragonshardz posted:

Anyone know where I can find a reasonably priced, 15" to 17" 1920x1080 panel with VESA mount compatibility and an HDMI input? I'm having a hell of a time, all I can find is those kinda ugly cheapo ones for use with a RasPi or super expensive A/V stuff.

Don't care if it's IPS or PVA or TN, it's a secondary monitor for keeping an eye on system load while doing other things.

You would probably have an easier time if you were able to go slightly larger - this 20" Viewsonic along with an HDMI-to-DVI cable seems like it would would meet your needs for under $100.

https://www.newegg.com/viewsonic-va2055sm-19-5-full-hd/p/N82E16824116721

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Thank you for those suggestions! Those do seem like a pretty good price:performance combo for sure and seems like what I should probably get. I guess as a follow up -- how different would this be if I wasn't going to use it for gaming? E.g. how big of a premium is there for the 144 hz etc?

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

CaptainSarcastic posted:

You would probably have an easier time if you were able to go slightly larger - this 20" Viewsonic along with an HDMI-to-DVI cable seems like it would would meet your needs for under $100.

https://www.newegg.com/viewsonic-va2055sm-19-5-full-hd/p/N82E16824116721

Thanks, that's close enough to do the job. I dunno why I was so dead set on 17"...

E: I looked at what else Newegg has listed and there's an Acer monitor about the same size with DisplayPort and no freaking speakers!

https://www.newegg.com/acer-um-ib6aa-a02-19-5-full-hd/p/N82E16824011070

E2: And then I saw it has $30 shipping, bah.

E3: Looking in the ~20" space seems to have more options anyway. Thanks for the advice!

dragonshardz fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 26, 2021

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

tildes posted:

Thank you for those suggestions! Those do seem like a pretty good price:performance combo for sure and seems like what I should probably get. I guess as a follow up -- how different would this be if I wasn't going to use it for gaming? E.g. how big of a premium is there for the 144 hz etc?

Not a huge premium. You could save a few bucks but you'd be moving to a VA panel or dropping to half the refresh rate.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Butterfly Valley posted:

Not a huge premium. You could save a few bucks but you'd be moving to a VA panel or dropping to half the refresh rate.

Perfect, takes that decision off the table then!

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
is this a decent 32 in monitor for the price/specs? - https://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-32s-ips-display-22?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_5_29

i have a 32 in at work already and would like another the same size, even if they're different monitors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

EwokEntourage posted:

is this a decent 32 in monitor for the price/specs? - https://computers.woot.com/offers/hp-32s-ips-display-22?ref=w_cnt_lnd_cat_pc_5_29

i have a 32 in at work already and would like another the same size, even if they're different monitors.

That is an awfully low resolution for such a big monitor - it's only 1920x1080. Unless you're at a significant distance from the monitor that seems too low.