Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That is an awfully low resolution for such a big monitor - it's only 1920x1080. Unless you're at a significant distance from the monitor that seems too low.

I use word, chrome, outlook, and Adobe 90% of the time. Still an issue? Would 1440 be enough or at 32 should I be shooting for 4K?

Now I wonder what my other 32 In is. It’s some dell monitor I bought off my brother

Related question I guess. My Lenovo dock says it’ll do 2 4K monitors or 3 1080p monitors. Anyone know if it locks 3 monitors into 1080p?

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, ultrawide is the way of the future. There is no going back to dual monitors with poo poo inbetween.

isnt it annoying for full screen games? some just dont have borderless windowed as an option and ive always liked having the game take up a full monitor with everything else on the other one

or do ultrawide monitors simulate that type of division

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

EwokEntourage posted:

I use word, chrome, outlook, and Adobe 90% of the time. Still an issue? Would 1440 be enough or at 32 should I be shooting for 4K?

Now I wonder what my other 32 In is. It’s some dell monitor I bought off my brother

Related question I guess. My Lenovo dock says it’ll do 2 4K monitors or 3 1080p monitors. Anyone know if it locks 3 monitors into 1080p?

I'd check the resolution on your other monitor - if it's 1080p then maybe you'd be fine with it. Generally speaking I think you'd at least want 1440p for 32", and at that size 4k does make sense. A basic rule of thumb for monitors is for 24" you want 1080p, 27" you want 1440p, and the bigger the monitor past that the more you want 4k, but of course there are individual preferences and different use-cases which will be exceptions to it.

I don't know about the dock, but I would assume it can only put out so much bandwidth so might indeed only be able to drive 3 monitors at 1080p.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Verviticus posted:

isnt it annoying for full screen games? some just dont have borderless windowed as an option and ive always liked having the game take up a full monitor with everything else on the other one

or do ultrawide monitors simulate that type of division

Most games these days support 21:9. Those that don't it's a bit of a dice-roll on whether they'll just let you do 16:9 with black bars on the side, or whether they'll be incredibly dumb and stretch a 16:9 image to a 21:9 space and warp the gently caress out of everything.

If the game is dumb about it, you can use the NVidia control panel to "fake" it being a 16:9 monitor and then it will act exactly as if it were--you get a 16:9 image with black bars on the side without the game knowing any difference.

Honestly the whole "oh no old-rear end games don't support 21:9!" is both (1) overblown and (2) trivially worked around. You just don't get the benefit of having a wider monitor for that particular game, that's all.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'd check the resolution on your other monitor - if it's 1080p then maybe you'd be fine with it. Generally speaking I think you'd at least want 1440p for 32", and at that size 4k does make sense. A basic rule of thumb for monitors is for 24" you want 1080p, 27" you want 1440p, and the bigger the monitor past that the more you want 4k, but of course there are individual preferences and different use-cases which will be exceptions to it.

I don't know about the dock, but I would assume it can only put out so much bandwidth so might indeed only be able to drive 3 monitors at 1080p.

Thanks for the advice

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I haven't looked at monitors in over 5 years, but I've been wondering something: Are there any gaming monitors nowadays that have a 'true black' level roughly equivalent to the monitor being off in a dark room? No illumination at all? The black level of the Dell u2715h I've been using is noticeably quite glowy compared to being off, especially the corners, even properly calibrated.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Ambaire posted:

I haven't looked at monitors in over 5 years, but I've been wondering something: Are there any gaming monitors nowadays that have a 'true black' level roughly equivalent to the monitor being off in a dark room? No illumination at all? The black level of the Dell u2715h I've been using is noticeably quite glowy compared to being off, especially the corners, even properly calibrated.

You’re looking at OLED if you want that. There’s the LG CX line for that these days.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Coredump posted:

You’re looking at OLED if you want that. There’s the LG CX line for that these days.

They’re also early adopters for the HDMI 2.1 spec that finally allows actual 4K high refresh without compromise.

I think that changes this year, finally.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

What's the name of the LG 1440p 144hz monitor everyone in here loves? I was going to pick one up today but I forgot the name of it.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

OK I've been researching ultrawides, have almost talked myself into getting one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XLN881X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_mXgeGbCR8RE16?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

(Dell / Alienware AW3420DW)

On the positives its IPS, curved, 120hz and native gsync. On the negatives its £1100. Any opinions? Would keep one of my other 1440 monitors in portrait mode for good measure..

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
I like my new monitor but have a minor annoyance with it - why doesn't it save my window positions like my last one did? Or I shouldn't say the monitor doesn't save them, macOS doesn't. But it didn't happen until I got this monitor.

I had a 27" hooked up thru HDMI to my macbook, and I could walk away for a week if I wanted and come back to wake it up and see all my windows arranged the way I left them.

Now, I'm using the same laptop with no settings changed (that I know of) hooked up thru usb-c, and when my laptop and monitor go to sleep and everything is stacked in the main display when I turn it back on.

Any way to make it work the way it used to?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

GTO posted:

OK I've been researching ultrawides, have almost talked myself into getting one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07XLN881X/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_mXgeGbCR8RE16?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

On the positives its IPS, curved, 120hz and native gsync. On the negatives its £1100. Any opinions? Would keep one of my other 1440 monitors in portrait mode for good measure..

I've been rocking an Alienware 34 ultrawide for 2 or 3 years now. No ragrets.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Anyone have a more elegant solution for switching output between PC monitor (1440p) and TV (1080p)? At the moment I manually switch using the Windows Display settings. I don't want to be outputting to both at all times because that pointlessly leaves the monitor powered on.

Grapplejack posted:

What's the name of the LG 1440p 144hz monitor everyone in here loves? I was going to pick one up today but I forgot the name of it.

Probably the LG 27GL83A-B (I have issues with it).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jan 26, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Rinkles posted:

Anyone have a more elegant solution for switching output between PC monitor (1440p) and TV (1080p)? At the moment I manually switch using the Windows Display settings. I don't want to be outputting to both at all times because that pointlessly leaves the monitor powered on.

Win-P?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Perfect, thanks.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Is that still the best option for a mid-range 27" 1440p or is there a new thread baby?

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Meanwhile, somewhere in Grove, work begins on next season's Williams F1 car...

GTO posted:

I picked up the AW3821DW a couple of weeks ago and it's pretty awesome. I also paid £1040 for it so you should look around for a better discount deal if you're going for the smaller model.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Yeah at that price or even a bit more it seems you might as well go the whole hog on the 38 inch.

Are you happy with it? And where did you find it with that discount?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Grapplejack posted:

Is that still the best option for a mid-range 27" 1440p or is there a new thread baby?

There’s the LG 27GN850 which I’m pretty sure is the same thing, LG just changes parts of the model for the year or something like that.

They recently came out with the LG 27GN950 in 2020 that does 2160p/4K, but it’s still hard to find for MSRP. They announced an upgraded version of that that natively supports 165Hz without overclocking. The 950B supports 160Hz with overclocking.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Coredump posted:

Ouch. All of those seem to be hideously expensive and huge. Not really for PC gaming yet; at least not easily.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I was just looking at the amazon page again. What is the "nano IPS" in the 27GL850-B, and does it justify the $450 msrp over the regular 27GL83A?

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Booyah- posted:

I was just looking at the amazon page again. What is the "nano IPS" in the 27GL850-B, and does it justify the $450 msrp over the regular 27GL83A?

NanoIPS is basically some nanoparticle layer added to the IPS backlight that supposedly improves color reproduction. Unless you're doing color-sensitive work it's probably not worth the extra cost.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Shipon posted:

NanoIPS is basically some nanoparticle layer added to the IPS backlight that supposedly improves color reproduction. Unless you're doing color-sensitive work it's probably not worth the extra cost.

Both monitors have the same treatments on them, because they literally use the same physical part down to the last digit of the part number (LM270WQA-SSA1 if you wanna buy on alibaba... only $150! :v:). This is true for most of the other monitors that use the panel too, of which there are a bazillion (the Dell and the MSI are the only ones where other part numbers showed up when torn down AFAIK)

There is some discussion that the 27GL850 and 27GL83A might have a different firmware and color calibration preinstalled, but there are really no physical differences to speak of. RTings and I have both calibrated an 850 and 83A next to each other and they were essentially identical across the board after calibration, minus a tiny panel variance. In fact, RTings 83A had a wider color gamut than their 850 comically. It is mostly a marketing difference.

I dunno about the 27GN850, but i assume its the same? Worth noting that Panelook does identify a new version of the panel, the LM270WQA-SSA4 that LG supposedly started sampling a few months ago, but the specs look the same other than maybe binning for DCI-P3 so i dunno. I doubt it is significantly different.

https://www.panelook.com/modelcompare.php?ids=43222,47906

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

i've seen speculation (no idea how substantiated) that the 850s have higher binning standards

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

They 27GN950-B appears to be in stock at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BCRYS6B?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

I have had nothing but problems trying to order a second monitor with Amazon, so there's that. I'd also suggest hitting the "Ship in Amazon packaging" button if you can. The box it comes in otherwise is the normal rear end LG box.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jan 27, 2021

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

GTO posted:

Yeah at that price or even a bit more it seems you might as well go the whole hog on the 38 inch.

Are you happy with it? And where did you find it with that discount?

Yeah very happy - using it for gaming in the evening and work during the day so getting quite varied use out of it.

I've had two minor downsides which are no fault of the monitor itself:
1. full screen sharing in Teams isn't a thing I can do any more for some activities as my colleagues with tiny monitors can't see anything
2. My gaming rig is connected to it using the only display port, so my work laptop is connected using HDMI. That HDMI port is v1.4 so it can't handle the full resolution at anything more than 30hz. I could easily solve this by getting a miniDP->HDMI2.0 adapter but I've not bothered yet

Discount-wise, a family member works for a company that buys Dell equipment, so he has access to some discounts that aren't public.
Apparently most people with the discount don't even know they have it, so if you hunt around for a friend or family member with a Dell work laptop and send them here, they should be able to hook you up.

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Awesome, thanks. I use a Dell laptop at work so will see if I can get the discount!

That's a bit annoying about the hdmi, I've had a similar problem trying to run 3 monitors through a dock on my work laptop. Do you mean you would connect hdmi on the monitor to the mini dp port on your laptop? Mine has dp over USB-c, might need to check what my max refresh would be.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Yeah I'd need something like this thing to get back to 60hz.

I'm pretty certain your dock should solve the problem and be able to handle 60hz+.

Edit: I should clarify that the crap HDMI 1.4 port is on my laptop and not the monitor!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Rebus posted:

I picked up the AW3821DW a couple of weeks ago and it's pretty awesome. I also paid £1040 for it so you should look around for a better discount deal if you're going for the smaller model.

gently caress, link where you paid £1040 for it!!!

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

Steakandchips posted:

gently caress, link where you paid £1040 for it!!!

Straight from Dell albeit with a 20% discount code (and free shipping!).

Edit: There's a live code at the moment for 8% which gets you down to £1196: VCLOUD8
Edit2: Looks like if you're NHS staff you can get 15% off.
Edit3: My buddy says the 20% monitor codes have expired and he can only get 15% at the moment too.

Rebus fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 27, 2021

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Beautiful thank you.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

LODGE NORTH posted:

They 27GN950-B appears to be in stock at Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BCRYS6B?ref=ppx_pt2_dt_b_prod_image

I have had nothing but problems trying to order a second monitor with Amazon, so there's that. I'd also suggest hitting the "Ship in Amazon packaging" button if you can. The box it comes in otherwise if the normal rear end LG box otherwise.

Just as a heads up LG appears to have this in stock as of 3:20p-ish if you buy direct:

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gn950-b-gaming-monitor

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

i have a 32 in monitor that is FHD and a 32 in monitor that is 2k. if the FHD monitor is activated its locking the 2k monitor to FHD resolution. Is there a way around this? the 2k shows the 2k resolution if its the only monitor attached.

I have a lenovo x1 carbon attached to a Lenovo usb c gen 2 dock which can support up to two 4k monitors. it has intel onboard graphics, so I dont have an nvidia or AMD app to override it. is there something else I can download that can do this? it does not show up on the list of all valid modes under the display properties screen

ok by putting the 2k on the hdmi slot, and the the older FHD on hdmi then thru an hdmi to DP adapted, I can get 2k on the 2k and FHD on the FHD, only the FHD screen shakes. is this a problem with the cords, the set up?

so I put the flickering one on 60hz refresh it gets rid of the flicker but kicks my 2k back to FHD. So i can only run two 4k/2k monitors at 30hz refresh or 3 1080p at 60 hz. How do I get the FHD not to flicker at 30hz?

I have 2 display ports and 1 hdmi port on my hub, DP/HDMI on the 2k, and HDMI on the FHD. Can someone tell me how to set this up properly?

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 27, 2021

GTO
Sep 16, 2003

Rebus posted:

Straight from Dell albeit with a 20% discount code (and free shipping!).

Edit: There's a live code at the moment for 8% which gets you down to £1196: VCLOUD8
Edit2: Looks like if you're NHS staff you can get 15% off.
Edit3: My buddy says the 20% monitor codes have expired and he can only get 15% at the moment too.

Pulled the trigger and ordered one - thanks so much for the tip on the code, I saved £195 using a 15% code from my employer. Total price paid £1105.68. The codes don't stack though and the VCLOUD8 code gives 10% I think so still a good option if the employee thing isn't available to you.

Rebus
Jan 18, 2006

GTO posted:

Pulled the trigger and ordered one - thanks so much for the tip on the code, I saved £195 using a 15% code from my employer. Total price paid £1105.68. The codes don't stack though and the VCLOUD8 code gives 10% I think so still a good option if the employee thing isn't available to you.

Glad I could help! That makes it only about £5 more than you were looking to spend on the 34" model :)

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Ended up finding a good deal on two LG 24MK430H's. They were the best deal I could find for IPS monitors in Canada, and the reviews are mostly good, so I'm glad I nabbed them before the link disappeared. That being said, they were "open box" from a Best Buy 3rd party seller, so I'm hoping whatever arrives on my doorstep isn't poo poo!

Trip report: turns out "open box" can just mean "the-box-is-a-bit-hosed-up".

I was lucky. When the Best Buy 3rd party seller posted the "open box" deal, I don't think they put a limit on the quantity. So when I ordered two, the second one turned out to be perfectly new!

But the non-new one definitely had a few cosmetic blemishes.

Umm, what did this poor thing go through? Was also missing the VESA mount screws and a couple other non-essential bits. No big deal; looks brand new otherwise.

Ugnf. My thoughts so far:
  • IPS is definitely a better experience, despite my raving about TN in my last post
  • 24" still feels too big for me, but these were cheaper than any 21.5" IPS ones I could find
  • Snapping windows using [Win] + [Left or Right arrow] is cool and good. MAXIMUM PRODUCTIVITY :rice:
  • Despite being identical monitors, the brightness and tone from them are not similar. Probably because of some power-saving feature, or maybe because one is connected via VGA and the other via HDMI. Will have to tinker with the settings some more.
Looking forward to my wood hobby shop opening up so I can poorly build a new desk and get a monitor arm for these.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

maybe because one is connected via VGA and the other via HDMI. Will have to tinker with the settings some more.

This is almost certainly the case. VGA vs HDMI is an entirely different signal, so it would not surprise me at all to get noticeably different results from it.

Might also be worth hitting the actually used one with a factory settings reset, though, just to clear out any calibration changes its previous owner might have thrown in there.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

DrDork posted:

Might also be worth hitting the actually used one with a factory settings reset, though, just to clear out any calibration changes its previous owner might have thrown in there.
I'd done this at first, but then I switched the cables around, and now they're identical. *whew*

I also learned you can make your monitor display nothing but shades of blue if you don't plug the VGA cable in all the way.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, ultrawide is the way of the future. There is no going back to dual monitors with poo poo inbetween.
I like having both. Ultrawide as a primary monitor is definitely the way to go, but it's still nice to have a physically separated space to place secondary windows. Right now I have 2x old 20" Dells over my 34" Alienware, but I'm looking in to replacing those with a 42-48" 4K.

DrDork posted:

Most games these days support 21:9. Those that don't it's a bit of a dice-roll on whether they'll just let you do 16:9 with black bars on the side, or whether they'll be incredibly dumb and stretch a 16:9 image to a 21:9 space and warp the gently caress out of everything.

If the game is dumb about it, you can use the NVidia control panel to "fake" it being a 16:9 monitor and then it will act exactly as if it were--you get a 16:9 image with black bars on the side without the game knowing any difference.

Honestly the whole "oh no old-rear end games don't support 21:9!" is both (1) overblown and (2) trivially worked around. You just don't get the benefit of having a wider monitor for that particular game, that's all.
I think they're referring to being able to have a game "fullscreen" while still being able to see a Discord window or whatever else you might want to have visible at the same time.

Some monitors do come with software workarounds or even support hardware split-screen modes using dual inputs, but if you have a game that insists on hard fullscreen it can be limiting to only have one physical monitor no matter how large it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have really loved using my 34" ultrawide this year for work, but now that they finally sent me a laptop and I'm not citrix'ing into my work desktop from a personal machine, I think I may want a secondary monitor so I'm not doing personal stuff on a work machine.

Maybe a 24" monitor on the side or over the top.