Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Mustard
Jan 23, 2007
Let me introduce myself, I'm a social disease.
Okay, thanks everyone to who helped me to pick this monitor out.

The U2312HM is here and it's AMAZING. Having been using crt's for so long i feel like I can actually relax in my chair when i play games. And the picture quality is very good, I have to calibrate it still because I just got it but woooo, this thing rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Same here, I got a U2312HM thanks to this thread. It's a pretty pretty good.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

Goose Halo posted:

Same here, I got a U2312HM thanks to this thread. It's a pretty pretty good.

Same, came in yesterday. I'm really surprised how light the thing is. What a stunning monitor...I thought I would be bothered going from a 16:10, but I don't even really notice it. I'm sure the increase in res helped with that.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'm in the market for getting a 1080p monitor. I've been using my 32'' Samsung HDTV at 1650x768 resolution (I'm pretty sure, I am not near my computer to confirm) and I'd like to get the most advantage out of my video card to get to 1920x1280 resolution. Anything higher is out of my reach right now (would have to buy a 5xx series GTX card and my budget won't allow it). My TV's native resolution isn't high enough to suit me and if I force a higher resolution everything looks weird and too small to properly read, as well as looking very grainy.

I've done some searching online and I've found a reasonably priced, well reviewed Acer monitor here:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=computer+monitor&hl=en&safe=off&cid=17825330825726108268&ei=ScNPT6acO8bdsAfC15HfCA&ved=0CGEQrhI

It's $120, has DVI and VGA inputs (my GTX 460 has a DVI output I believe) but I'd rather have something with an HDMI input.

I've also found this Acer monitor:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=computer+monitor&hl=en&safe=off&cid=16503998603890349896&ei=Yb1PT5_eDurbsgeZ3LzYCA&ved=0CFoQrRI

It's $20 more, but has the HDMI input and has the same screen size. It also has favorable reviews.

Are there any alternatives to these that would do well? My budget is $150, I absolutely cannot go any higher because I'm trying to save up for a month long study abroad in Russia in late summer so most of my money is going towards saving up for that. The only reason I'm considering buying a monitor now is because my birthday is in one week and I'll likely get a lot of money from my relatives to help offset the cost along with my paychecks.

So, monitor-knowledgeable goons, what should I get? Are the two I linked decent monitors, or do you all recommend anything different?

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Mar 1, 2012

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LorneReams posted:

Same, came in yesterday. I'm really surprised how light the thing is. What a stunning monitor...I thought I would be bothered going from a 16:10, but I don't even really notice it. I'm sure the increase in res helped with that.

Got mines yesterday as well. It's so fricken bright compared to my last monitor. I know I can reduce it but I'm still in my DAZZLED period. For now I just set the preset to "text" as to not burn my eyes out.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

rock2much posted:

Got mines yesterday as well. It's so fricken bright compared to my last monitor. I know I can reduce it but I'm still in my DAZZLED period. For now I just set the preset to "text" as to not burn my eyes out.

I just set mine to the Standard preset at 20 Brightness and 75 Contrast per TFTCentral's U2312HM review until I can get a proper color profile.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
#firstworldproblems time, but seriously Dell, why the gently caress is it 90 bucks more to go to the U2412M :( my other two monitors are 24", having a 23" will seriously throw off my feng shui.

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

I game on an awesome NEC MyltiSync 20WMGX2 (an IPS). I'd like a second monitor comparable to the awesomeness of this one. What should I get to demote this one to a secondary monitor?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Personally I don't think the U2412M is worth the extra $90 for one more inch of space. The 23'' works just as well, but I understand what you mean about size synergy. That would cause my OCD to kick off and eat me from inside out like a chest-burster.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Just received word that my Catleap 27" LCD just arrived at my house. I'll have pictures up later today and this weekend for any of you who are interested in this monitor.

For reference purposes, this is the Overclock.net thread about thie Shimian/Catleap:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x1440-ips-no-ag-achieva-shimian-qh270-does-anyone-read-korean/740#post_16609970

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

HonorableTB posted:

Personally I don't think the U2412M is worth the extra $90 for one more inch of space.
It's not just an extra inch, it's also moving from 1920x1080 to 1920x1200.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

DrDork posted:

It's not just an extra inch, it's also moving from 1920x1080 to 1920x1200.

Is that resolution that much better than 1920x1080?

Edit: My video card only goes up to 1920x1080 anyway, so I'd have to upgrade to a GTX 5xx series to take advantage of that, so for me that extra resolution would be pointless. YMMV, of course.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

HonorableTB posted:

Is that resolution that much better than 1920x1080?

Edit: My video card only goes up to 1920x1080 anyway, so I'd have to upgrade to a GTX 5xx series to take advantage of that, so for me that extra resolution would be pointless. YMMV, of course.

Some people do find it to be a big enough deal to justify some extra money, yes. Others don't. It's a personal preference, really, but I know I for one would pay the $90 for an extra inch and 16:10. Also, what video card do you have? I find it highly unlikely you're actually limited to 1920x1080 on any main-stream card made in the last 5 years.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

DrDork posted:

Some people do find it to be a big enough deal to justify some extra money, yes. Others don't. It's a personal preference, really, but I know I for one would pay the $90 for an extra inch and 16:10. Also, what video card do you have? I find it highly unlikely you're actually limited to 1920x1080 on any main-stream card made in the last 5 years.

I'm using a GTX 460, and it may just be my TV limiting my resolution to 1900x1280, but I'm not sure. All I can know for sure is that $330+ is a lot to spend on a monitor for a college student making $7.25/hour.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

HonorableTB posted:

I'm using a GTX 460, and it may just be my TV limiting my resolution to 1900x1280, but I'm not sure. All I can know for sure is that $330+ is a lot to spend on a monitor for a college student making $7.25/hour.

Your video card can support up to 2560 x 1600. You're just being limited to resolutions your TV can support.

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

HonorableTB posted:

I'm using a GTX 460, and it may just be my TV limiting my resolution to 1900x1280

I've been using my 32'' Samsung HDTV at 1650x768 resolution (I'm pretty sure, I am not near my computer to confirm) and I'd like to get the most advantage out of my video card to get to 1920x1280 resolution

Dude, you are terrible at remembering resolutions. None of these are real. The first and last are sorta close but the middle one is completely made up.

And yeah, 460 supports up to 1600p, its your TV that's limiting you.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Magic Underwear posted:

Dude, you are terrible at remembering resolutions. None of these are real. The first and last are sorta close but the middle one is completely made up.

And yeah, 460 supports up to 1600p, its your TV that's limiting you.

Yeah, I've never been really good at remembering numbers but I can remember dates and names in history that no one else has ever heard of. :iiam:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Shadowhand00 posted:

Just received word that my Catleap 27" LCD just arrived at my house. I'll have pictures up later today and this weekend for any of you who are interested in this monitor.

For reference purposes, this is the Overclock.net thread about thie Shimian/Catleap:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/reviewed-400-2560x1440-ips-no-ag-achieva-shimian-qh270-does-anyone-read-korean/740#post_16609970
following up on this:

1. Catleap ips seems to be the same quality as my girlfriend's 27" iMac. I am going to calibrate the display later tonight so I'll have some readings up from that.

2. There's one dead pixel which is only visible from one angle on a pitch black screen.

3. On black screens, there is noticeable bleed coming from the led lighting. Nothing horrible but it's definitely there.

4. No special power adapter required.

5. Stand is a little flimsy, but the catleap has VESA mounts so if I'm motivated enough, I'll get a dual screen mount.

6. Coming from a ultra sharp 2407 rev. 4 with an mpva screen, this thing is still absolutely amazing

7. Finally, there are reports that people are pushing this thing to output at. 97hz. Probably not going to do that.

All in all, if you have 400 and want to have a pretty great 27" with no warranty, I'd say it's worth it. I can live with backlight bleed and the dead pixel, but your needs may be different.

kidRiot
Dec 14, 2007

"I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man."
I have a weird question and google wasn't really able to help me out: where can I find a set of the screws that secure the hdmi port on a Samsung 22" monitor? They got loose for whatever reason and I lost them. Now the hdmi plug from my computer doesn't fit snugly onto the monitor port so I always have to fiddle with it when I want to use my computer. Any help?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

kidRiot posted:

I have a weird question and google wasn't really able to help me out: where can I find a set of the screws that secure the hdmi port on a Samsung 22" monitor? They got loose for whatever reason and I lost them. Now the hdmi plug from my computer doesn't fit snugly onto the monitor port so I always have to fiddle with it when I want to use my computer. Any help?
HDMI cables with screws aren't very common, so can you confirm for me you actually mean HDMI (which looks like this) and not DVI (which looks like this)? In any event, your options for screws are two-fold: First, you can just buy a new cable, or scavenge screws from an old cable. Pretty much all video cable screws are the same, so if you've got an old VGA cable laying around, those screws are very likely the correct size. If you don't want to go that route, they are just standard screw sizes. I'm not sure what size, exactly, but if you go to a local hardware store you should be able to grab a small assortment of ones that look like they'd work for a few bucks and figure it out easily enough.

kidRiot
Dec 14, 2007

"I know you've come to kill me. Shoot, coward, you're only going to kill a man."

DrDork posted:

HDMI cables with screws aren't very common, so can you confirm for me you actually mean HDMI (which looks like this) and not DVI (which looks like this)? In any event, your options for screws are two-fold: First, you can just buy a new cable, or scavenge screws from an old cable. Pretty much all video cable screws are the same, so if you've got an old VGA cable laying around, those screws are very likely the correct size. If you don't want to go that route, they are just standard screw sizes. I'm not sure what size, exactly, but if you go to a local hardware store you should be able to grab a small assortment of ones that look like they'd work for a few bucks and figure it out easily enough.

drat, you're right. I don't think I was very clear with what I meant. I meant the screws that attach the port to the monitor itself (the ones that come on the monitor). The ones you screw the DVI adapter onto. Those came loose and fell off the monitor and I don't know what the hell happened to them, but now when I insert the DVI plug onto my monitor it's always loose.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug
Are there any retail outlets that stock dell monitors? Looking to pick up a U2312HM, but hate waiting for shipping :(

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

Are there any retail outlets that stock dell monitors? Looking to pick up a U2312HM, but hate waiting for shipping :(
You guys got a Micro Center?

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

DinosaurHouseParty posted:

You guys got a Micro Center?

Up in the Seattle area, never heard of Micro center :( Doesn't look like they've got any up here anyway. Stopped by Fry's, they don't have any dell monitors at all.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

kidRiot posted:

drat, you're right. I don't think I was very clear with what I meant. I meant the screws that attach the port to the monitor itself (the ones that come on the monitor). The ones you screw the DVI adapter onto. Those came loose and fell off the monitor and I don't know what the hell happened to them, but now when I insert the DVI plug onto my monitor it's always loose.
Ah, so you need the screw that came attached to the monitor originally. Here you go: http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=1330

Falcon2001 posted:

There aren't many places at all in the US that stock Dell monitors. Minus MicroCenter, your only real hope would be a small local mom & pop type place that might happen to have a few. None of the major chains (BestBuy, Fry's, Office Depot/Max, etc) carry anything but the shittiest of the Dell lineup.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

DrDork posted:

Ah, so you need the screw that came attached to the monitor originally. Here you go: http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=1330

There aren't many places at all in the US that stock Dell monitors. Minus MicroCenter, your only real hope would be a small local mom & pop type place that might happen to have a few. None of the major chains (BestBuy, Fry's, Office Depot/Max, etc) carry anything but the shittiest of the Dell lineup.

Welp, might just end up paying for next day shipping :\ was hoping to get it setup this weekend, but c'est la vie.

wheres my beer
Apr 29, 2004

Tryin' to catch me ridin' dirty
Fun Shoe
I just got my Dell U2312HM at work and I really don't know how I managed to get anything done on my old display. I've pushed my old Dell 1908FP over to use as a secondary monitor and the difference between the two in terms of color depth, brightness, contrast, angle of view, and well just about everything else is simply incredible.

Now is there anything special about color calibrating an IPS display?

Strong Female
Jul 27, 2010

I don't think you've been paying attention

Miso Beno posted:

I just got my Dell U2312HM at work and I really don't know how I managed to get anything done on my old display. I've pushed my old Dell 1908FP over to use as a secondary monitor and the difference between the two in terms of color depth, brightness, contrast, angle of view, and well just about everything else is simply incredible.

Now is there anything special about color calibrating an IPS display?

I was actually just about to ask this question; I have a 3007WFP-HC and a 2007FP (got it for $75 on Craigslist!) and there's a pretty big difference in color/brightness/contrast.

Otherwise, :iia:. I've been wanting to do this for quite a few years now.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
What are the opinions regarding the Samsung SA300 24 inch monitor? I've narrowed it down to this one and the Dell monitor that everyone is racing about here.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I just got the Hanns-G 27.5 inch monitor from Newegg and hooked it up to my computer with a dvi to hdmi cable and when I play videos (youtube, VLC, WMP.. anything) the screen blacks out for a few moments as the audio starts and then comes back to normal with the vid playing.

When I close a source such as exiting the program or closing a tab with youtube it happens again. Any clues?

Am I barking up the wrong tree thinking its the new monitor? Need more details?

kidRiot
Dec 14, 2007

DrDork posted:

Thank you good sir - I ordered them.

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I'm looking at upgrading. I have been using cheapo TN 24" or 22" non LED monitors for the past 5 years or so (both going at the same time now actually). Now I have a good job and I get paid well, so I am looking at upgrading to a 27" IPS panel. I think 30" would be too big, as it is only sitting on a desk in front of me, and not a particularly deep desk at that. Anyone with a 30" panel disagree that it is too big for a reasonable sized desk?

Would be using it mainly for gaming, web usage, office stuff for work/uni and the occasional movie. I can appreciate good black levels and good colour reproduction, but I won't be working with photos or video editing too much - maybe the odd thing, but nothing serious. Inputs are not important. As long as it has DVI/HDMI I am fine. Don't need USB hubs or S-video or speakers or any of that crap. Just a nice screen.

Is the Dell U2711 still recommended for this size? The Apple 27" display also looks nice, but it is also a fair bit more expensive - $1199 vs $899 from their respective Austrailan web stores. Yes, I can afford it, but if there's not that much difference I won't bother.

Also, I am in no rush. Do Dell often do sales on their web stores? At the moment I can see the U3011 is $340(!) off from $1699 to $1359 and the U2312HM is down $25 from $269 to $244. I could wait for a sale for the U2711 if they do this kind of thing often.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

I just got the Hanns-G 27.5 inch monitor from Newegg and hooked it up to my computer with a dvi to hdmi cable and when I play videos (youtube, VLC, WMP.. anything) the screen blacks out for a few moments as the audio starts and then comes back to normal with the vid playing.

When I close a source such as exiting the program or closing a tab with youtube it happens again. Any clues?

Am I barking up the wrong tree thinking its the new monitor? Need more details?

That sounds like a driver problem. Update them and try again

Requested username
Dec 12, 2005

Vidaeus posted:

Also, I am in no rush. Do Dell often do sales on their web stores? At the moment I can see the U3011 is $340(!) off from $1699 to $1359 and the U2312HM is down $25 from $269 to $244. I could wait for a sale for the U2711 if they do this kind of thing often.

I'm curious about this as well. I've decided to get a Dell U2410. It's not currently on sale. From searching the net, I've seen various forum posts claiming that Dell reps have some leeway with giving discounts on monitors and that if you call and ask nicely, they can honor expired coupon codes or even kick 5-10% off the monitor price.

Is this true? If not, how often does Dell have sales on their monitors or have active coupon codes? I'm also not in a hurry, but would like to have a new monitor sooner rather than later.

Bobulot
May 7, 2007

They have at least a few of the monitors on sale pretty well every week, and they rotate the discounts frequently. I originally picked up my U2412 at $300 (25% off at the time), and the next time the U2711 goes on sale for around $750 I'm going to grab one of those too.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Shadowhand00 posted:

following up on this:

1. Catleap ips seems to be the same quality as my girlfriend's 27" iMac. I am going to calibrate the display later tonight so I'll have some readings up from that.

2. There's one dead pixel which is only visible from one angle on a pitch black screen.

3. On black screens, there is noticeable bleed coming from the led lighting. Nothing horrible but it's definitely there.

4. No special power adapter required.

5. Stand is a little flimsy, but the catleap has VESA mounts so if I'm motivated enough, I'll get a dual screen mount.

6. Coming from a ultra sharp 2407 rev. 4 with an mpva screen, this thing is still absolutely amazing

7. Finally, there are reports that people are pushing this thing to output at. 97hz. Probably not going to do that.

All in all, if you have 400 and want to have a pretty great 27" with no warranty, I'd say it's worth it. I can live with backlight bleed and the dead pixel, but your needs may be different.

Here is a picture of the Catleap next to my 2407WFP (with MVA screen). This is prior to calibration using a colorimeter - they're much closer in terms of brightness now.

I should reemphasize that this is an S-IPS monitor. There's no warranty (as far as anyone knows, Square Trade will insure this, but there's no guarantee on that. Regardless, for the price of 1 Dell 27" right now, you can pretty much purchase 2 of these. They have the exact same panel and have no AG coating, making the colors pop that much more.

Trickyrive
Mar 7, 2001

Trickyrive posted:

I game on an awesome NEC MyltiSync 20WMGX2 (an IPS). I'd like a second monitor comparable to the awesomeness of this one. What should I get to demote this one to a secondary monitor?

Maybe somebody that's had my same monitor before can suggest to me what they upgraded to?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

HonorableTB posted:

What are the opinions regarding the Samsung SA300 24 inch monitor? I've narrowed it down to this one and the Dell U2312HM, and want to get the best deal I can. The U2312HM is $10 more plus shipping, has a smaller screen size by one inch, and I can walk in and buy the Samsung and set it up same-day.

Reposting this because it got skipped over. I'd like some opinions here, if possible.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

HonorableTB posted:

Reposting this because it got skipped over. I'd like some opinions here, if possible.

The Dell is eIPS while the Samsung is TN. Since they are similar in price, I wouldn't bother with the Samsung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Trickyrive posted:

Maybe somebody that's had my same monitor before can suggest to me what they upgraded to?

Haven't had that monitor, but (obviously I think) you don't want to get anything outside of another IPS. The Dell UltraSharps and HP's ZR-series IPS monitors are solid, and you could always get another NEC, but they to tend to be pricey (and IMO are aimed at a higher market than Dell/HP).

I'll try to update the OP this weekend with some updated impressions from goons, and add a section on our 27" Korean friend, thanks for the jumping on that Shadowhand00.