Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

I had some really bad experiences with Dell support so I’m going to avoid that.

Good to know that I should keep ignore VA and just stick to finding an IPS screen. As you said, there are so many of them I started wondering if I was dismissing them too quickly.

The 34GP83A is almost equivalent to the 34GN850 except for some slight differences in response time and gamma, but it still is a great ultrawide IPS monitor.

VA's godawful black level smearing is an absolute non-starter for me, no matter how much better the contrast it can deliver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Wibla posted:

Counterpoint: it's literally the thing you stare at when you use your computer for however many hours you spend in front of it each day, and good monitors tend to last (nearly) forever :v:

Doesn't even have to be good monitors - I'm still using the Acer/Asus pair from my Vista days, "compatible with Vista" badges and all. They're fine, the side monitor is a little washed out in color, but yknow, LCDs from 15 years ago and all that.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Shipon posted:

The 34GP83A is almost equivalent to the 34GN850 except for some slight differences in response time and gamma, but it still is a great ultrawide IPS monitor.

That looks like it fits my requirements exactly. Except for the fact it’s not available in the EU :argh:

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
This is my second day with my ProArt PA248QV, and I'm super happy with it. Right out of the box the colors were hilariously better than my old display. The hardware design is solid, with lots of options for adjustment, lots of ports, and even the buttons feel nice. Normally that wouldn't matter much, but my last two monitors had 1. capacitive buttons that were a pain in the rear end to find in a darkened room and 2. buttons hidden on the back of the monitor which sounded like cap guns when pressed.

Wider screens are a big thing now but 16:10 feels right to me. The display takes up just the right amount of my peripheral vision, and I love having more room at the top and bottom. Since the resolution is 1920x1200 I'm looking forward to integer scaling some classic 800x600 games.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
^^^
I'm enjoying my 27 inch 1440p proart myself. It is very pretty and the colors look sweet. I'll definitely be picking up a second one of these later on.

The one I got was $265 refurbished on newegg. It had zero scuffing or other issues - everything working just fine.

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
I'm pretty stupid when it comes to monitors, I'm going to build a new PC soon and want a new monitor to go with it. I currently have a 24 inch monitor so something larger would be nice. What is a good gaming monitor in about the $500 range?

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

The LG 27GN850 is the 27" gaming monitor of choice.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

lordfrikk posted:

I've had one of the more pricier Samsung VA monitors and found it really good :shrug: I knew it's a meme at this point in this thread but I wouldn't discount every VA monitor in existence like it's some rule of thumb.

the newer Samsung Odysseys are actually not that bad, here is a picture from the TFTCentral review of the Odyssey G7 comparing it to a first-gen VA panel on the left:

the worst response time is still 14ms, which isn't great (certainly not up to the 2.5ms you need to get a true 240 hz) but that's actually really not bad as far as VA panels go, and visually it's not that bad compared to gaming IPS types (PLS/AHVA/etc). The previous generation of panels panels used to be 30-50ms worst case, it's not leaving gross black trails everywhere anymore.

That said, viewing angles are still narrow (I wouldn't recommend them in a dual-screen setup) and they don't get true HDR brightness, only HDR600, and they don't have the factor that usually lures people in to these VA monitors, cost (they really are not cheap panels at all, the going rates are actually substantially higher than IPS). You can get IPS for $350-400, would I pay $700 for the equivalent Odyssey G7? Not really, the IPS is still better in a lot of metrics, and the Odysseys still have a lot of the foibles of IPS, like coarse lighting zones, backlight bleed, poor black depth, lack of uniformity, etc. The higher price tag doesn't mean it's better, Samsung is kinda taking the piss here with those prices.

But yeah in a technical sense, VA is definitely catching up to some of the problems it's traditionally had. If they can get the price down, they're not awful panels in a technical sense anymore. Still some weaknesses like viewing angles, but a 27" 4K144 HDR1000 panel would be a neat toy to complement my daily driver IPS ultrawide, if they could get it under $1000 with one of those panels.

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/samsung_odyssey_g7_c27g75t.htm

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/samsung/odyssey-g7

VA monitors that aren't the Odyssey line are still pretty bad though, even the previous generation of Samsung VA is significantly worse.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Mar 12, 2021

fargom
Mar 21, 2007

SuperTeeJay posted:

The LG 27GN850 is the 27" gaming monitor of choice.

Is it? I thought the LG 27GL83A-B was a better choice at $100 less.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

CongoJack posted:

I'm pretty stupid when it comes to monitors, I'm going to build a new PC soon and want a new monitor to go with it. I currently have a 24 inch monitor so something larger would be nice. What is a good gaming monitor in about the $500 range?

There are a few good models out there and the choice probably depends on your intended level of Gamer Fervor

27in IPS 1440p 144hz models are the gaming "sweet spot" at the moment. If you are coming from 1080p 24in, it will be a nice upgrade in like every category. Good models to research are the LG 27GL83A, MSI MAG274QRF-QD, and Gigabyte M27Q. Yes, monitor names are horrific. Each of those three has a category they excel at (value for the LG, general gaming performance for the MSI, and IO for the Giga), although probably only the turboest of turbo nerds will notice the differences. Don't even look at the HDR rating of monitors in this class, it is not even worth considering or using at all.

If you are less into gaming or more into stuff like strategy games that dont need as many framez, there are lots of 27in 4k 60hz panels to choose from in that price range as you may like the resolution bonus more than the extra gamer frames. That said, I do have to say that I enjoy having the higher refresh rate even for basic tasks. Once you go 144hz, its hard to go back to 60hz even when just dragging windows around and scrolling and such.

If you are a Ultrawide Curvy Boy, there are some other options, but im not as well versed in them cause im firmly on team Pancake Panel.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Cygni posted:

probably only the turboest of turbo nerds will notice the differences.

:smithfrog:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

hey i include myself in that bucket as well! probably most of us posters here are tbh

ufarn
May 30, 2009
165 Hz is also doable if you don't get your hands dirty with HDR I think, but it seems like manufacturers shy away from 1440p165 and keep it 144 or 240 instead most of the time.

I'm on 60 right now, but 144 almost seems like too little compared to the other very hypothetical options. :smith:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm thinking semi-seriously about getting one of those wall-mount AmazonBasics arms and putting my monitor on it.

I'd like to just clear my desk off as much as possible in general. Is there an equally good way to mount a microphone ? I guess I could just mount another arm right below or above it and put the microphone on that. Or is there some preferred way to mount it to the same VESA as my monitor or something, so it mostly moves with it?

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole

Cygni posted:

There are a few good models out there and the choice probably depends on your intended level of Gamer Fervor

27in IPS 1440p 144hz models are the gaming "sweet spot" at the moment. If you are coming from 1080p 24in, it will be a nice upgrade in like every category. Good models to research are the LG 27GL83A, MSI MAG274QRF-QD, and Gigabyte M27Q. Yes, monitor names are horrific. Each of those three has a category they excel at (value for the LG, general gaming performance for the MSI, and IO for the Giga), although probably only the turboest of turbo nerds will notice the differences. Don't even look at the HDR rating of monitors in this class, it is not even worth considering or using at all.

If you are less into gaming or more into stuff like strategy games that dont need as many framez, there are lots of 27in 4k 60hz panels to choose from in that price range as you may like the resolution bonus more than the extra gamer frames. That said, I do have to say that I enjoy having the higher refresh rate even for basic tasks. Once you go 144hz, its hard to go back to 60hz even when just dragging windows around and scrolling and such.

If you are a Ultrawide Curvy Boy, there are some other options, but im not as well versed in them cause im firmly on team Pancake Panel.

Thanks, this is just the kind of post I was hoping for!

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm thinking semi-seriously about getting one of those wall-mount AmazonBasics arms and putting my monitor on it.

I'd like to just clear my desk off as much as possible in general. Is there an equally good way to mount a microphone ? I guess I could just mount another arm right below or above it and put the microphone on that. Or is there some preferred way to mount it to the same VESA as my monitor or something, so it mostly moves with it?

i have an AmazonBasics monitor arm (for a desk not wall-mount) and it's pretty great. it's just an ergotron re-brand. maybe it's the same case with the wall mount?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Paul MaudDib posted:

I’d just get a mic arm and a shock mount, personally. If you want them to move together I’d use a separate connector (rig something with aluminum brackets or a 3D print) to keep them aligned, but I’ve never seen a mount that does monitors and mics both, and I’ve always preferred to be able to move the mic independently depending on what I was doing.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is there any way to calibrate a screen without specialized hardware? All of the non-sRGB options on this monitor look oversaturated to me, so I'd like to try replicating it best I can in one of the custom slots (which will allow me to mess when with gamma/contrast as I want).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Internet Explorer I have to apologize, because on further testing I seem to have the same issue as you (DP 1.2 limitation). At 60Hz some menus do look better than at 170Hz. My eyes must've been tired by scrutinizing pixels for too long, that I missed the difference before. Sorry.

That isn't to say there aren't still issues with BGR, but I screwed up.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Is there any way to calibrate a screen without specialized hardware? All of the non-sRGB options on this monitor look oversaturated to me, so I'd like to try replicating it best I can in one of the custom slots (which will allow me to mess when with gamma/contrast as I want).
Not particularly, but you can see if any of these LCD tests look off to you and adjust accordingly.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

fargom posted:

Is it? I thought the LG 27GL83A-B was a better choice at $100 less.

They're literally the same thing, the 83A just doesn't have a USB hub

When I bought it last year they cost the same price in the UK, it has spread apart now though, just get what is available to you

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Rinkles posted:

Actual calibration, no, but a colorimeter is about $150 last time I checked so if you have serious production needs it’s not completely out of reach.

As mentioned maybe you could play with some test images and see if you can get it a bit closer.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I picked up one of the X-Rite i1 Studio colorimeter's for $150, used it on every screen in my house, and then loaned it out to a never ending cycle of family/friends. It is absolutely a bit pricey for what it is, but it looks like you could also flip it on ebay for like $120 right after using it.

I sorta rationalized mine like buying a tool I'll use/play with for lots of years, like the kill-a-watt. Is it 100% necessary? For sure no, but I almost feel like it was worth it just to stop second guessing myself with the settings on the screens in my life.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
Like 5 years ago I bought an X-Rite i1 Display Pro, I don't even really fully calibrate my monitors for perfect accuracy, I just use it to set the brightness and white point to match between screens and it is totally worth it because it let me target and hit values that are so much easier on my eyes. Most monitors tend to be way too blue and too bright out of the box. My AW2721D for instance was approaching 300 cd/m2 and like 8000k out of the box, basically a blue wall of deathray in your face on factory settings, it was way less painful to look at after 2 minutes with the colorimeter getting it down to 160 cd/m2 and 6500k.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Are those things easy to use on TVs too?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Assuming you're on Windows, they probably are oversaturated. Microsoft made it such a pain in the rear end for developers to color manage their application that most Windows software — including many system applications like photo viewer — is not color managed. If you're running a wide-gamut monitor in a wide-gamut mode, expect pretty much everything that's not a professional creative application to have exciting retina-searing colors.

This is exactly why your monitor has sRGB mode.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Molten Llama posted:

Assuming you're on Windows, they probably are oversaturated. Microsoft made it such a pain in the rear end for developers to color manage their application that most Windows software — including many system applications like photo viewer — is not color managed. If you're running a wide-gamut monitor in a wide-gamut mode, expect pretty much everything that's not a professional creative application to have exciting retina-searing colors.

This is exactly why your monitor has sRGB mode.

I had no idea.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I don't mean to go down another rabbit hole, but I noticed that youtube banners and thumbnails looked blurrier in chrome than in firefox (I wanted to see if they handled colors the same; they appear to).

If you flip between them in separate tabs, I think you can tell which is which even through imgur's compression

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Rinkles posted:

I don't mean to go down another rabbit hole, but I noticed that youtube banners and thumbnails looked blurrier in chrome than in firefox (I wanted to see if they handled colors the same; they appear to).

If you flip between them in separate tabs, I think you can tell which is which even through imgur's compression

Guessing left is firefox, right is chrome? I think that's just different image scaling algorithms being used. I think Chrome prefers to use a slightly faster algorithm for creating thumbnails from large images.

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
Any high refresh monitors out there with particularly light anti glare coating? Apparently in the interim since buying my last monitor they stopped selling gloss coating models.

lurker2006 fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 15, 2021

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

lurker2006 posted:

Any high refresh monitors out there with particularly light anti glare coating? Apparently in the interim since buying my last monitor they stopped selling gloss coating models.

The industry has basically standardized on a light anti-glare coating that really doesn't have much of a resemblance to the heavy, grainy anti-glare coating of yesteryear. I don't think it's something you really need to consider that carefully. Glossy monitors are basically unicorns these days, as you say - they barely exist anymore.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

TheFluff posted:

Guessing left is firefox, right is chrome?

Yup.

One of the counterintuitive consequences of a getting a better monitor has been that bad quality images look worse; the imperfections are more obvious. The youtube homepage has looked particularly grody since upgrading.

TheFluff posted:

The industry has basically standardized on a light anti-glare coating that really doesn't have much of a resemblance to the heavy, grainy anti-glare coating of yesteryear. I don't think it's something you really need to consider that carefully. Glossy monitors are basically unicorns these days, as you say - they barely exist anymore.

I wouldn't consider it a problem, but the matte finish was more noticeable on the LG 27GL83A during use than the M27Q.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Can someone please give me a shortlist of a few good monitors without any glaring weaknesses, that are available in Europe for max €600.

For use with: I'll probably get a RTX 3070 at some point.

Size, resolution, hz: As much as I can get in a good monitor at the price range.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yurop isn’t a country and a lot of EU stores don’t sell across borders, what country?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

LG 34GN850 came back in stock so I ordered one. Can’t wait until tomorrow to see how much of an upgrade this is over my decade old full hd 24” TN screen.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

PirateBob posted:

Can someone please give me a shortlist of a few good monitors without any glaring weaknesses, that are available in Europe for max €600.

For use with: I'll probably get a RTX 3070 at some point.

Size, resolution, hz: As much as I can get in a good monitor at the price range.

LG 27GL850 and 27GL83A are the standard recs for the US and should be 4-500€ plus shipping depending on country. The Gigabyte M27Q is a common alternative around the same price range. Ultrawide is out of your price range and a 3070 doesn't really have the oomph for 4K gaming even at 60Hz.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
How do VRR and fixed rate monitors interact with one another? Like if I wanted to get one 144hz GSync monitor for gaming and use my old 60Hz monitor as like a Discord/web browser side thing, or feed the single 144Hz display into a capture card, will I lose VRR?

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

dragon enthusiast posted:

How do VRR and fixed rate monitors interact with one another? Like if I wanted to get one 144hz GSync monitor for gaming and use my old 60Hz monitor as like a Discord/web browser side thing, or feed the single 144Hz display into a capture card, will I lose VRR?

No.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I think I'll get either a AOC CU34G2X (34", 3440x1440, 144hz curved ultrawide) or a Dell S3220DGF (31.5", 2560x1440 165hz)

:thunk:

Not sure about...: only 1440p at 31.5". Or using an ultrawide with my current GTX 970. And does it feel good to be 'surrounded' by a curved ultrawide screen... :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

PirateBob posted:

I think I'll get either a AOC CU34G2X (34", 3440x1440, 144hz curved ultrawide) or a Dell S3220DGF (31.5", 2560x1440 165hz)

:thunk:

Not sure about...: only 1440p at 31.5". Or using an ultrawide with my current GTX 970. And does it feel good to be 'surrounded' by a curved ultrawide screen... :raise:

Both of these are VA panels. That means a lot of smearing and blur in dark areas (even the new expensive Samsung ones only have it sorta under control in the darkest 20% of the luminance range). VA can still be a valid choice if you value black levels/contrast higher than most other factors but in that case a high refresh rate one might not even be worth it, because if you're playing any sort of game with low light areas the screen won't be anywhere close to being able to keep up with the refresh rate. Like, if you're running a game at 144 Hz a frame lasts about 7 ms, while that Dell you're thinking about basically never has a response time faster than 20ms if the pixel brightness is lower than about 50% (source: the Rtings review). That is, anything darker than a midtone gray will effectively be running at well below 60 Hz and all you'll see is blur, so why are you even paying for 144Hz?

Also, be aware that the GTX970 doesn't support Freesync, so you won't have variable framerate support until you upgrade your GPU unless you buy an actual Gsync monitor (but don't do that, they're really overpriced). That's not necessarily a problem, but you'll probably have to run the monitor at 60Hz or whatever framerate your GPU can keep up with to avoid tearing. Considering how long it might take to get ahold of a 3070 these days you might be stuck in that situation for a while so you might want to look at the "response time performance at 60Hz" section of the Rtings.com reviews.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Mar 16, 2021