Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I have a 770, and looking for a 27" monitor. Probably will move to a 1070(or whatever it's called) in about a year.

Is the Acer XB270HU the best choice here (Refurb'd)? Any major downsides?

I'd like to spend under $500, mainly used for gaming, strong preference for IPS. G-Sync optional, but since I have a 770 it seems like it'd be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Bought a refurbished XB270HU from the Acer-Ebay store and.....damage behind the screen, right in the middle. I thought it was a dead pixel at first, but when you look at it it looks like it got hit by a BB or something, it's not a single pixel but a black mark with what looks like an impact smudge around it.

Started the refund process. Woohoo, Acer Roulette!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

ghetto wormhole posted:

That looks absolutely perfect for me! Thanks!

There's no way to use Freesync with an Nvidia card though right?

The monitor will work, but it won't do adaptive refresh, no.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

So I bought a refurb XB270HU a couple weeks ago that had a blemish. Acer was great about taking it back and I got another one.

For the price ($450USD) I am pretty happy. There is definitely blacklight bleed, but within what I was expecting for a 27" IPS that is not top-line. No dead pixels, and it looks much better than the 24" TN I got in 2008.

If you have a desire to get into 27" GSync for under $500 and you are ok playing the refurb roulette game, I would recommend.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Fauxtool posted:

Where did you buy it?

First time ebay from Acer's certified Ebay store. 2nd time from here:

http://acerrecertified.com/UM.HB0AA.001

It'll be 449.99 from that link, free shipping. If you check in the mornings you'll usually find one after a few days, but they sell out by 9am CST or so. The RMA process for the first one was easy. I sent them a pic of the blemish, they sent me a Fedex slip and I did home pickup so I didn't even leave the house.

If you do get an Acer, keep the box and packaging for a while just in case.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Are there any threads for passing along color calibration tools?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul MaudDib posted:

Acer X34 opinions? They've showed up on Acer's eBay refurb store ($700 shipped) but I'm worried about scanlines/other problems.

Are the ones that are refurb'd really fixed, or just dumped through to some other sucker?

I just got my XB270 from the refurb site. The first one looked like they didn't fix the damage that got it refurbed in the first place, the 2nd one was pretty much like new. So it's roulette, but they RMA'd the first one with no problems so there was no loss other than 20 minutes of my time.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Do they do free shipping both ways? Most places do but I have to ask because I bet that thing is crazy expensive to ship.

Yes shipped to you. If the RMA is because of a defect they free ship back, if its just because you don't like it you have to pay. They didn't seem very picky, but I did have a picture of the blemish on mine. I would guess they'd even accept "horrible backlight bleed" as a valid reason, but YMMV.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jack the Lad posted:

I have to agree that this thread overstates the IPS/TN thing.

I have a Dell U3014 with a proper icc profile (albeit in sRGB most of the time) next to an out -of-the-box BenQ G2400WD and the difference isn't that big.

I think you are right, but of you are bit sure get your rear end to a store to look at different panels. I had a TN for a long time but I am much happier with an IPS now and I an glass I spent a bit more for it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Gunder posted:

I currently have an old, no frills 24" Dell TN panel. I'm planning to make the jump to the AOC GSync TN 24" panel they make. What will I notice more: gsync during gaming, or the 144HZ refresh rate?

Edit: Oh, and a question about G-Sync: I often notice that vsync introduces an unpleasant amount of lag to mouse movement in games, does G-Sync have this as well?

No, it shouldn't. I am not too familiar with VSync causing mouse lag, but GSync shouldn't cause any lag from hardware or software rendering.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The Great Outdoors posted:

alright, well let's say i'm just looking to upgrade from an old 22 inch 1080p to a 1440p setup with the above criteria, disregarding HDR. Anyone able to recommend a specific model? will be used largely for gaming and photo editing.

The Acer XB271HU https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-2560x1440-Display/dp/B0173PEX20?sa-no-redirect=1&pldnSite=1

It's on the lower end in both price and what you generally get from quality, but as it's IPS, 144HZ and GSync so it blows "cheap" monitors out of the water anyway and you start running into serious diminishing returns going up in price.

For what it's worth, I got a XB270HU (same specs, different base and a few different config options) for $400 on the Acer Refurb site (today the prices don't look so great though). The first one I got had a screen problem but it was a free ship back and the 2nd I got has been solid. Below average backlight bleed, but well worthwhile.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

I'm looking for a 27" gaming monitor and it's down to the Acer XB271HU or the Dell S2716DG. I don't mean to beat this horse into oblivion, but I'm bad at monitors and want to make sure I get what's best for me.

If I don't care about the color accuracy, is there a good reason to spend the extra money on the Acer with IPS? This is going to be replacing a 10+ year old Samsung, so anything will be a huge improvement for me.

I have the Acer and would recommend it, a buddy has the Dell and I think its also really nice. I don't think you'll make a "bad" choice here, do you want a monitor that looks slightly nicer (I think the Dell TN panels are not as bad as some on this board do) or is slightly cheaper?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lackmaster posted:

Daaang I was looking for the 24 inch of that dell but at that price I might just do the 27...

Get a 27", you'll be really happy you did. For 16:9 I actively dislike bigger unless you are further from your monitor than is normal, but 27" is dramatically better than 24.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dell and HP have had a couple years of really screwy supply chain. I think it's mostly cleaned up now but there are still some hitches in some places, so they almost always give super long estimates if there is any doubt. I'm pretty sure if we closely tracked their delivery estimates we could potentially predict a Chinese invasion of Taiwan.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm going to have to shell out a grand+ for a 1440p OLED won't I?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Try Firefox as well if you've only tried Chrome. I had something that I think was the same thing. It just went away one day, but it also didn't happen with Firefox so I think it was probably more related to Chrome rendering certain text as resolution.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Not a Children posted:

Splurged on the 34" Alienware, I can say after a few days: It rules

I'm fighting my own internal war on if I just want to bite and splurge on this.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jumped on a refurb AW3423DW with the 15% off to get it for $755+tax. Fingers crossed on the refurb lottery, though historically I feel like I've done alright.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

change my name posted:

Where from? That's an amazing price

Followed this last night, direct from Dell
https://slickdeals.net/f/16222723-34-alienware-aw3423dw-qd-oled-3440x1440-175hz-curved-gaming-monitor-refurb-756-free-shipping

Looks like there aren't anymore available

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nice, Dell said it shipped the AW3423DW! I was worried as the website made it clear that orders would need to be confirmed. Looks like my Acer Predator XB271HU is going to become my wife's new work monitor, which is a weird use but I don't think I have the deskspace anywhere else.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Lockback posted:

Jumped on a refurb AW3423DW with the 15% off to get it for $755+tax. Fingers crossed on the refurb lottery, though historically I feel like I've done alright.

Got it, looks and works as new. It's an impressive piece that is far too large for my desk but I'm never going back. I even got to play on it for like an hour before my daughter took it over for Fortnite.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

-Mouse pointer puts on pith helmet and 60L backpack-

I'm off to the quote button, wish me luck.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rinkles posted:

How annoying do you find the pixel shifting?

I don't notice it at all.

ijyt posted:

I've had my AW3423DW for about 2 months now, some thoughts:

Pixel refresh is a non-issue, after dismissing the first prompt I've not had it interrupt a session, it does it only after I've powered down now.

The text fringing is not noticeable to me. I have my IPS PG348Q and I only noticed a difference in clarity when pixel peeping between the two at an inch or so away. Usually I'm 2 feet away from the display.

The fan went from inaudible to only audible once I've shut down my PC and taken my headphones off, in a silent room. It's a non-issue in my opinion and (like most things) got overblown by Reddit.

I can't tell the difference between 10-bit and 8-bit dithered.

Generally agree with this (deleted the ones that don't apply to me). The deep black in a dark room is awesome and the refresh rate is really, really nice, and the text fringing is really only noticeable if I am explicitly looking for a difference, I guess the "Alienware isn't a great choice for a work monitor" is fair, but for mixed use you probably won't notice a thing.

The pixel refresh hasn't been an issue but I usually don't play for more than a couple hours at a time, so that probably helps.

I guess I agree that there is some considerations with an OLED monitor but most of them are probably overblown.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kylaer posted:

I currently have an Acer Predator XB271HU, 27" 1440p at 144hz, that I bought five or six years ago. It still works fine, but I'm curious if there's anything that's a worthwhile all-around upgrade. I do very little gaming, but I do photo/video editing so going up to 4K to have more screen real estate for working on that seems maybe worthwhile? The Neo G7 looks cool but I'm not sure about a curved monitor, and my desk is shallow so I don't want to get something too big. I know this is a very broad question but I appreciate input.

shrike82 posted:

that's a workhorse (which i had for about the same length of time)
i wouldn't bother upgrading unless you have a sudden desire to go 4K or OLED

maybe the apple studio display?

Yeah, I upgraded my XBU to the 34" OLED Alienware and I feel like that was a really good step up but I wouldn't have done it otherwise (And I got a stupid good deal on a refurb). My biggest complaints about the XBU were really things that were gaming related. Apple Studio would be an amazing step up if your looking to butn the money.

I actually really like the curve on my monitor but I wouldn't use one for content editing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I mean, I game in a basement so glossy screens are strongly preferable but I don't have passion for it one way or another. It's nice when they have options though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Rinkles posted:

Does the warranty apply if you don't use the anti-burn in features?

I have one and I am pretty sure you can only adjust the features, not disable them.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Diogines posted:

From what you said it seems like the difference for 1440 is marginal? So what about 1080 v 4k?

What do you play and what card do you have now. 4k vs 1080p is significantly more pixels to drive. That said, if you can get a good 4k screen and drive it then thats where I'd aim for.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He's on 27", I love my 34" and will likely keep with ultrawide but there's tradeoffs. My use of monitors taller than 27" means I don't want one unless I change how my desk is setup to sit further away. So I'd say if you've been using 27" and you like it, stick with it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Diogines posted:

Lots of genres, but (almost) never any "competitive" shooters, since they stopped making good Battlefield games. Some of them are graphically bland and very basic, others are visually impressive RPGs.

My video card is a Radeon RX 6700 XT.

This is why I was not very interested in a 34 inch. I like the setup for where my monitor is located and don't want to move it further away.

I am not in a rush so I will keep an eye out. Folks seem to think the difference between a 1080p and 1440p monitor is more than marginal though I have to admit I am still a little skeptical. How big is the difference between a 1440p and a 4k and is a decent 4k monitor on the table for $300 or less if I am patient and wait for a good sale? Any particular places you would suggest to find out about a sale?

I'd say 1440p is what you'd want. Yes, its significantly different than 1080p. 1440p is almost 2x the pixels as 1080, and 4k is more than 2x the pixels of 1440p. In terms of PPI of a 27", 1440p is a 32% increase, so it's pretty significant. 4K is another nice jump but it's a LOT more pixels, and I think the performance hit for RPGs would be too high. 1440p should be fine.

Also, a 34" widescreen is the same height as a 27", it's just wider. So you don't sit any further back, you just have more stuff on the sides. It does have a higher perf impact but.I think a 6700XT could handle it fine. Not that I am pushing it, just if you like the form factor of a 27", your choices are basically 27" or Ultrawide 34", the share the same horizontal form factor.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

I'm intrigued by Ultrawide for gaming as my next PC upgrade, but I'm afraid I'd miss my second monitor that has game related stuff like strategy guides or whatever open on it while I play. Anyone have anything to share about their experience making this switch? I wouldn't have room to keep a second monitor I'm fairly certain.

I flipped my 24" 2nd monitor vertical to get it to fit, works great.

In general on UW when browsing I just use my 1 monitor as multiple, and don't full screen browser windows and stuff anymore. For games its really nice to get that more immersive experience though. I bet if you think creatively (desk arm mount, wall mount, flipping vertically) getting a 2nd monitor probably isn't too hard.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Schwann posted:

I built a new gaming PC with a 4070 ti and looking for 1440p gaming monitor recommendations. I have budget for the AW3423DWF and read great feedback on this thread about it.

1. Would the GPU be adequate to power a AW3423DWF on demanding games, max settings?
  2. Realistically, I would be setting about 31-33 inches away from the monitor. Is this a long enough distance?
  3. Has anyone used the monitor for dual purposes of work and gaming? My job is programming on a MacBook, in dark mode (light text on dark background)
  4. How to calibrate monitor? Are there guides/tutorials available?
  5. How to care for the monitor to avoid burn-in, etc.?

If you think AW3423DWF is not a good fit, other recommendations in the 27-34 inch space welcome.

I have the G-Sync version, it's an amazing monitor.

1. Yes, I have a 2080S and while I have to turn things down somewhat, it's not really outrunning the GPU all that much. A 4070ti would be plenty.
2. Yes, that's a little more than I have mine. Distance matters about vertical size, and that's the same vertical size as a 27" monitor. You don't really have to worry much about distance.
3. Yes, but there is OLED pixel refreshing that happens periodically. For long work sessions this can be kind of annoying. I haven't been bothered by it but my my brother has one and it drives him crazy. Text is also a little different because of the pixel orientation. It makes text potentially a little fuzzy though I don't think it's a big deal, personally. So I'd say in general OLED monitors are better gaming monitors than work, but they do fine for work/productivity.
4.I didn't touch my calibration I thought it was fine. Rtings has a guide if you want.
5. It will mostly take care of burn-out protection for you. Auto-hiding taskbar isn't a bad idea though.

It's an awesome monitor.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

For watching streams or 16:9 videos the trick I found is don't maximize your windows. If something is better on a narrower window, just use a narrower window.

Schwann posted:

For the pixel refresh, I noted every 4 hours, or 20 hours if disabled. Is it possible to refresh on-demand? Say I want to game for 6 hours uninterrupted, and would prefer it refresh automatically or on-demand after I shutdown?

I don't think so, but you can just turn it off and on, that forces a refresh. It will also ask you every 4 and you can delay it for up to 20, so if you're playing a long session you can just snooze it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

Where is this promotion? I saw it was $1000 instead of $1100 last week but it's back up to full price now.

I believe AMEX has had big cashback from Dell in the past. Anyone know how common that is?

I see it for $990

https://slickdeals.net/f/16421257-alienware-34-curved-qd-oled-gaming-monitor-aw3423dwf-dell-usa-989-99?src=frontpage

There's a coupon code

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Schwann posted:

Not sure, but there is a guy selling Windows 11 keys on SA-Mart for $20. You have already spent over a thousand dollars on a monitor and monitor arms. Why stop now?

I think its less about the key and more about whether or not to upgrade from 10 (which is free) vs sticking with a system that is working fine as is.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

$655 for a Dell Refurb 34" OLED, the freesync AW3423DWF

https://slickdeals.net/f/16463797-3...b0e9ea52ab711db

I have a refurb GSync one and the refurb was pristine.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

GenSpecific posted:

Well mine came with a cracked screen. Looks like they probably packaged it up wrong with the order I had taken it out of the box and now following the instructions putting it back. Real shame as it was beautiful.

Oh poo poo, I feel bad. Can they just send you a replacement?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dogen posted:

ugh terrible to lose that deal though

on my brand new one it was packaged in such an overly protective way that i imagine very few are lost to shipping problems unless it falls more than say two stories

My refurb was packed pretty extensively. Like, the bags it was in were opened and kinda resealed but all the packing was there and the monitor itself was spotless. I honestly wouldn't have known it was a refurb if I didn't specifically look at the tape on the bags.

Its too bad they can't send you a replacement instead of a refund. :(

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'd go this week but it may extend longer, they usually do weekly sales but sales can go multiple weeks. It's not a guarantee though. Otherwise it should be painless.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

1440p won't scale into 4k cleanly. You can usually run 4k at 1080p for a clean 2:1 ratio, but 1440p on a 4k monitor will look worse than 1440p on a 1440p monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

SuperTeeJay posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TouQ4id9ocM

The points raised in this video aren't new but it has convinced me not to use an OLED monitor (for now anyway) as I want a single screen, probably spend more time browsing/doing document work than gaming and never watch films or TV on my PC. A good and fast IPS panel, which I already have, seems like a better fit overall.

It's clickbait by a channel with 2,000 subscribers. These exact same things about durability were said about OLED TVs that have been mainstream for years now without the purported mass problems.

I can tell you with absolute firsthand experience that text clarity is not a problem.
I can tell you the brightness example he claims I've never noticed and local dimming seems like a way bigger impact (and something I noticed way more) unless your doing his exact synthetic test.