Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Saukkis posted:

Nvidia enabled support for Adaptive Sync/Freesync with their 10x0 and 20x0 series cards. Doesn't work with older cards yet. Nvidia has certified some displays to work with their support and for the other monitors you need to test it yourself.

Is that an option on the 1660 cards too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
I'm looking to update my work from home setup.

At home, I currently have a Dell U2410 (which I still consider a pretty nice monitor when it comes to color accuracy, viewing angles, etc) and a very cheap Dell 22" monitor that is just real bad.
At the office, I've got a pair of Dell U2718Q which I would consider nice, but I also haven't worked with any other 4k screens.

Most of my time is spent on server administration and PowerShell scripting, so things like refresh rates and color accuracy aren't hugely important for work, but I do play the occasional game on the weekends. It's honestly like Space Engineers and Supreme Commander more than Call of Duty (I'm sure that's clearly dating how long ago I played any games seriously) but you get the idea.

I really-really notice the washed-out appearance of that cheap 22" screen, even after trying to get it calibrated as best I can.

Would a casual gamer notice the difference between a 60Hz refresh rate and 144Hz like those LG panels can offer?

This may be a moot point, but do the LG monitors have vesa mounts for my dual monitor desk-mount thing?

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

ufarn posted:

24.5". 27" is way too undetailed, 24.5" is already pushing it.

This depends on how close you are to the screen. I personally don't care for that "screen door" effect anymore, now that I have 4k screens at work, but I used to actually prefer it.

I sit very close to the screens at work, but at home I'm far enough away from my 24" 1200p screens that I don't see each pixel.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

clockworkjoe posted:

I got a LG 27GL83A from recommendation in this thread and I just set it up. Looks great but the monitor stand seems a bit weak - when I type, the monitor wobbles a lot. How can I help stabilize the monitor?

I would buy one of these:
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15526
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15525

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

I see the little square thing for the stand, but do these have an actual VESA mount?

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

KingKapalone posted:

When I type on my keyboard sometimes I notice my monitors are kind of jiggling. This happened when they were on their stands and now when they're on this dual arm gas mount I have. Might this be because my desk is just wobbly? If I grab the side my desk and wiggle, I can really get them shaking.

Yes, your desk wobbles.

I have a cheap IKEA desk and an even cheaper adjustable sit/stand thing like a veridesk at home and the monitors wiggle around a lot.

My work desk cost something like $3k and has a motorized sit/stand thing but it's heavy as hell and doesn't wobble at all.

EDIT: My dual monitor arm thing is the same at work and at home, it's a cheap monoprice thing: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p...b4aAv9fEALw_wcB

SopWATh fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 16, 2020

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
At work, I've got a pair of Dell U2718Qs that work great for everything I need. The color looks good to me (without a calibration tool, it's all manual adjustment) I like the USB hub thing on the sides, they don't do anything wacky when I connect my work laptop to the dock or separate desktop PCs directly.

I expect to be working from home again in the near future, so I'm looking to update my monitors.

Since these will not be on the company card, I'm a little bit cost conscious given the fact that I don't particularly need a fast refresh rate. Is there a difference between the panels in say the Dell U2720QM and something less expensive from Asus or LG or even other Dell S2721 line? I can afford the U2720, but obviously if there's no difference in the panels themselves, paying an extra $200 just for a USB hub is a bit much.

I also don't care about the base, since I have monitor arms. (the better set from monoprice work fine for me)

Given that I don't do a ton of gaming, does it even matter which 4k 60Hz screen I'm looking at?

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Regarding monitor mounts, I really like the Monoprice ones here: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15525

If you look closely, you can see the mount itself comes off the arms, so you can screw the plate into the back of the panel, then lift the monitor+plate thing up and just slide it into the holder thing on the arms themselves. This is really nice so you don't have to try to hold the monitor up while trying to line up a screw hole on the plate and getting a screw started and not cross-threaded and then getting surprised when the whole thing just kinda sags down because you have no way to adjust the spring/piston tension....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000

Fhqwhgads posted:

Is there a good monitor stand (that probably clamps to the desk?) that can hold two 34" ultrawides one on top of the other? Right now I've got them bolted to the wall but I might be moving soon and it would probably be easier to just use a stand.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15525

I have these at work and at home. I have 27 inch screens, but the support arms appear to have enough length that they could hold a larger screen horizontally. You may be pushing it all the way to the sides.
I just got new monitors at home, but this model had no problem holding a significantly heavier Dell U2410, I just had to adjust the gas spring to get it to not sag.

You may consider getting two separate mounting arms.

I've said this before, but please notice the mounting bracket can be removed from the end of the arms so you can put the bracket onto the monitor, then just clip it onto the ends of the support arms.

Most of my office has some more expensive monitor arms that do not have that removable bracket. Getting the monitors mounted to those things was a huge pain in the rear end and took longer than it needed because it took two people loving around with lining up the monitor and getting a screw started and holding everything in place.

EDIT: Basic reading comprehension is not my strong suit today...
What about something like this: https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33089 but you know, not that specific brand...

Let's check McMaster for the name of that shape....

There's this stuff: https://www.mcmaster.com/structural-framing/t-slotted-framing-rails/ but it gets expensive quick.

SopWATh fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Nov 14, 2020