Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

So my old Samsung 205BW finally crapped out and I'm looking to upgrade but I can't decide between the u2312 and the u2412. Is the extra inch really worth the $100 bucks? Main uses are gaming and watching movies (I don't mind black bars on my movies.) I'll sometimes do some quick photo and video editing but I'm used to it on a 20.1 inch screen so there's nothing to really miss if I go with the u2312 I feel like.

Also this is probably a dumb question but the upgrade won't put any more strain on my cpu for gaming right, just my video card?

edit: $70 dollar difference because of shipping on the 2312.

punch drunk fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Oct 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I need a lovely second monitor that has built in speakers so I can use my Xbox on it or gently caress around on it while I'm watching something on my main monitor. I'd ask in the TV thread but all they seem to talk about is huge rear end tvs. Any recommendations for cheap bottom of the barrel stuff? I don't need great picture or sound quality just something that won't set on fire when I plug it in and is cheap.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

I asked a bit back about a lovely secondary monitor for my xbox since my current u2412mb doesn't have an HDMI input but I think I'll just upgrade and use dual monitors instead. I'll continue to game occasionally on this monitor but would like my new main monitor to be for movies and some light editing/color correction on personal projects. I'm never going to be more than 2-3 feet from this screen so I guess its time to take the plunge into 4k. Honestly 24" seems plenty big enough to me but wouldn't mind stepping it up a little bit. If theres something good in the $400 or below range that is preferable but wouldn't mind stepping up to around $600 if I could get something much better.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Coredump posted:

Wait, what's the model number on that monitor again? Is it a Dell Ultrasharp?

Yeah its the 2412M Ultrasharp.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

HDMI and DVI are the same thing, HDMI just carries audio. Buy an adapter or a DVI>HDMI cable and you'll be fine.

I'm using a 2412M myself and I can attest to this not being bullshit. Save your money. Make sure you're not using an A00 or A01 revision, though - as those notoriously had switching issues between DisplayPort and DVI - I wasn't able to easily switch between inputs until I had my A00 replaced under warranty.

I am currently doing this but I really do want dual monitors and switching back and forth is slightly cumbersome so I am going to end up buying something. I guess I don't need to take the plunge into 4k yet though and can just pick up a nicer non4k monitor.

punch drunk fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 21, 2017

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Been using a u2412 for the longest time and I'm mostly happy with it except for black levels while watching movies. Would something like https://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GC2870H-1920x1080-Technology-Flicker-free/dp/B06XDSK4NN/ be good a secondary monitor for video watching? I also do a decent amount of video editing/amateur color correction but I'm guessing the u2412 would still be better for that?

punch drunk fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jan 13, 2018