Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I'm using my 50" LD tv as a monitor for the time, i did this for a long time in the past also and i had no issues. Back then i used one of those wires with the pin connectors in a rectangle (i don't know the name, i'm sorry).

These days i'm using a HDMI wire and i'm seeing while the resolution says 1920x1080 it is infact 1280x720. Now i googled and it said this could be a thing with HDMI and computer to TV connects. So i was fine with that and started looking for a new wire, but meanwhile i started playing the new Civ game, the one in space and it is 100% in 1920x1080, so the TV CAN display that resolution with the HDMI wire after all. Anyone got a clue with that limited information? Can i make my TV show 1920x1080 with a HDMI wire?

I use a Nvidia GTX 770 and the specific make of the TV i can't remember, sorry, it's a bit old, but as i said it's a 50" LG TV.

Edit: I set the Input Label in the TV's settings to PC and now all fullscreen games are apparently 1920x1080, but the desktop is still 1280 when it says it's 1920.

Edit2: VGA was the name of the cable, i used a DVI to VGA converter as the TV only has a VGA port. Only kind of Google answer i found that made sense was that the TV is interpreting the HDMI signal as "unreliable" and does some kinda scaling/converting to what it thinks it's seeing, but with a VGA connection it's 100% convinced it's seeing a computer signal and plays nice.

Just so weird that it shows proper 1920x1080 with some games, oh well.

Dongattack fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
What's the state of projector PC gaming? I'm trying to read up and learn my way around it, and it seems that input lag isn't such a big problem anymore with newer projectors and you're starting to get some affordable solutions for gaming. Anyone braved these waters recently?