Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I just ordered an Ultrasharp; where can I see the little revision number and which one do I want/not want (assuming A00)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Oh okay, cool. This is the one I ordered so maybe it's not even applicable: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JN9310

Really curious to how my Sceptre Naga II will look next to it. If it's not terrible it'll be really nice to have my audio production software on one and the script on the other.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey guys,

I currently have an Acer X203w and the light bleeding is bothering me. I do photography, primarily black/white, but I might venture into color photography in a couple of years. I do zero gaming. A couple of dead pixels don't bother me that much. I don't want to spend more than $400. Would a Dell UltraSharp U2412M IPS display be a good purchase?

Thanks.

I've been using mine for a week or so and I absolutely love it. I haven't calibrated it or anything and it looks amazing with vibrant colors.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

If my eyes are getting worse (text blurrier the farther away/smaller), should I be looking at upgrading to a 27in or go all in for a 32in? Use is both working from home/gaming.

Also want at least a 120hz (have heard 240hz is amazing though) since I'd like to get back into CS/QUAKE/MP FPS' and likely an IPS panel unless tech has changed considerably.. Would be upgrading from a decade+ old Dell U2412M. Cost range is wide since I buy things to last forever.

Also waiting on reviews of the new flat 28in G70A Odyssey. That's a 16/10 ratio like my current U2412M, right? 16/10 preferred but not an absolute dealbreaker.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Finally some actual footage of the G70A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJQSHdOvLQs

EDIT:

Zosologist posted:

This is what I ended up with and am especially happy with it for the price.
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012039

Hardware Unboxed really liked it, and on sale it's a loving steal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS7HYqepUZI

The KVM switch and built in USB 3 hub are a unexpectedly welcome addition.
This is so, so tempting at that sale price. If I could rotate it vertically (pinball) it'd be an instant buy but aghhhh

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 30, 2021

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Got my second 4K display today. Running two 4K displays on my RTX 3080 makes it poo poo itself and crash the system. I can boot up with either powered on, as soon as I get the second out of standby, it's byebye. :confused:

I'm running Windows 11, tho, which is an unknown factor in all this.

--edit:
It seems whatever these Samsungs negotiate over DP makes the driver poo poo itself and crash. I headed out to the next AV shop and got a HDMI 2.1 cable (beyond what I've ordered on Amazon), changed one of the displays to HDMI, now it works. :confused:

--edit:
Ah the issues don't end. Now Chrome/Edge don't play videos smoothly anymore. Browser went into software rendering after all the mode switching.
Still think it's worth it or are you kinda regretting the purchase? I'm still debating between waiting for it to hit NA or just go with one of the cheaper LGs.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

I'm driving myself nuts trying to find something that includes everything I want:
32in
Flat
VA Panel (for deep blacks/darker room use. IPS would be totally fine if the model solves the greyed/washed out blacks issue)
240hz (this is negotiable but if available, hell yes)
Rotatable vertically so I can play fullscreen pinball like a dork

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

KingEup posted:

Does anyone know of any 32 inch monitors with high end built-in speakers? Resolution and refresh rate not important.
That M32Q just went on sale again for $370. People seem to like the speakers but idk personally:
https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16824012039
https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-Monitor-Display-Response-FreeSync/dp/B0968QT6SS

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Agh this is so tempting again. Is there a way to hard disable the speakers?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Weird question that I can't really find an answer on: If I decided to buy say the M32U or another 4k 144hz monitor, will I have problems running like basic Windows 10 and poo poo on it? I decided I'm not upgraded my GPU until the 4000 line comes out and currently have an MSI 1050TI.

Like I can work from home with the monitor and maybe play CSGO @ 144hz right? Or will I have basic usability problems with it?

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

K8.0 posted:

If it's just WFH and you aren't getting a GPU for over a year, why not save a ton of money on 4k60hz and then buy a 4k144 next year?

A 1050Ti is DP 1.4 and thus lacks the bandwidth to drive 4k144 at full color depth. You can do 4k120 on the desktop and it will be fine.
Thanks for responding but legit don't understand what you're saying. I'd be able to do 120hz but not 144hz?

I just want to know if I'll be able to do WFH/Desktop/Normal stuff but also run the same games that I do now and a handful of older MP ones at 144hz (CS:GO, Quake Live, etc...).

I like to future-proof.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Gigabyte announced the M27Q-X today: https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/gigabyte-m27q-x-with-27-ips-panel-1440p-and-240hz-refresh-rate

It's a 27" 1440p panel like the M27Q, but at 240hz. It's safe to assume that this will be a cost-cut version of the FI27Q-X, which is a pretty good 240Hz monitor. No word on pricing yet, but Gigabyte always prices their "M" line of monitors very aggressively, so this may become the most affordable 240hz 1440p monitor yet.
Oh god we're so close to an IPS 32" 240hz aghhhhhhhhhh

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

HEADS UP: LG 32GP850-B just went on sale for $387: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093MFKDLP

Finally pulled the trigger.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Kryostic posted:

Really enjoying the LG 32GP850-B so far. It's weird that the screen doesn't curve - but ho my lord I do not miss the black smearing.
Yeah I just set mine up too and it owns. Zero defects as far as I can tell too, I got lucky.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

the nucas posted:

are defects with LG monitors common common enough to think its lucky to have a normal one? or just LCD monitors in general? is there something to watch out for besides stuck/dead pixels?
I just get worried when fragile equipment has to travel long distances, with all the bumpy roads and disgruntled delivery guys in-between. Also the drastic temperature changes of late.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

I just moved to 4k 144hz (the G32U) and I was surprised how many of my games couldn't be pushed to 144hz, like Rocket League for example, which gets around 115fps. This is on a 9900k and 2080ti both overclocked. I think stuff like FTL would get to 240fps but I wonder what other games you play that would easily be pushed there.

League of Legends gets around 130fps, the FF7 remake around 95fps, for example.
CSGO runs smooth as butter at 2560x1440 165hz and I have an MSI 4gb 1050ti.

Other games I've had to framecap at 60fps because it freaks out (Pinball Arcade went hyperspeed for one, GR: Wildlands was acting kinda weird/shaky, etc...)

EDIT: Just tried Quake Live and it's also super smooth.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 3, 2022

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Assuming the next-gen top-end GPUs hit the improbable rumored performance boost of 2 - 2.5x that of the current top-end GPUs, and if you manage to secure an upgrade in this market, then you could likely run a number of games in 4K at greater than 144hz, and many competitive games at 200+. In the likely scenario that the next GPU gen's performance boost is less extreme, you're still probably getting some good 4K performance on the high end. In any case, the presence of 240hz is almost beside the point for me. How good it is at HDR is what will make or break the monitor for me, and the ridiculous refresh rate is just icing. At least it'll be future proofed.
Too bad about that curve though.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

32” 1440p 120Hz, less than $500 non-curved non-“ultra”wide, used for regular computer stuff & gaming, very occasionally video streaming (no real editing or photoshopping beyond crop/resize): GO!!!

Really, though, I’ve posted many times ITT, but my doctor said I can really expect good things in 4-6 months after my eye heals up from the transplant and I then get my optometrist to correct for my “new,” depth-perception -included vision!

I’m extremely excited for this, because (again, as I’ve posted) I am incapable of discriminating between my 1080p/60Hz monitors/55” 1080p/60Hz TV resolutions and anything up to 4K of any size! I have been left behind technology-wise, and after my upcoming surgery I am told (for various reasons, including the type of outcomes for fixes to my particular eye disease) that I could very well have natural 20/20 vision in my left eye to go with my (corrected) 20/20 right eye. Worst case scenario would be getting normal ol’ disposable contacts for 20/20. I’m really looking forward to this as I was told two decades ago the end game was transplants, but three years ago one of my classmates saved my right eye with a procedure that wasn’t even FDA- approved and non-experimental until a month before I got it done (I was his third “regular” operation after it was acceptable for Medicaid). The same process ultimately failed for my left eye, but I’ve had more than a decade to prepare for a transplant so I’m waaay past prepared! My ophthalmologist did final prep & calculations today, and he was ecstatic with the projections, has done thousands (he’s in his early 60s), and his experience led him to get my hopes much higher than I’ve been resigned to expect!

So I’ve got about six months (surgery is the 24th) of nervous hopefulness, and my new-ish computer has an RTX 3070 to drive 1440 full-out with all the bells & whistles on ultra! In the GPU thread I’ve been assured it’ll stream Netflix et. al at 4K, but might struggle pushing 4K on future AAA titles, which is why I’m plenty satisfied to experiment with 1440p and anything capable of 120+ frames/second. I don’t play any shooters at anything high level (been incapable since Unreal, not Tournament, actual pre-2000 Unreal, even though I’ve been able to play things like Jedi Knight II and stuff). Obviously I don’t need 240 or 175Hz or equivalent, and I’m pretty sure 120-144Hz will be mind blowing!

I don’t need quantumOLEDultraWH40K , but I would like at least 32” for reasons, but because of my history I get along fine with mismatched dual monitors. Someone just on this page mentioned dual “32 G7s,” which I have room for length-wise, but like 1 32” main and a 27” secondary wouldn’t bother me one bit as long as I can read websites and OpenOffice files (my compulsive writing is part of my schizophrenia, and I’m more frightened of unclear text than motion-blur!). I am saving cash for six months, so hopefully I can get a good sub $500 apiece, and as stated a 32”/27” combo is fine. I read this thread every day, but never really paid attention to actual “stats” beyond the same information in the GPU thread! Model #s are voodoo to me, simply because it was ALL beyond my experience. I don’t need the latest and greatest, but I have been here enough to think mid-tier refresh rate, clear text, 32” gaming is possible for less than $500, and I’m perfectly willing to go (slightly) above budget for a good reason like the right panel pixels for clear website text/Kindle-for-PC text. I don’t need mega contrast or .0005ms response time, and I’ve been happy with colors since 1985 and my first 13” color TV :smug:

I am sooo sorry to post a novel, but I am totally hyper after my doctor’s glowing results, and the fact that I have months to prepare/budget/take advice AND don’t need anything cutting-edge because of my GPU’s capabilities (EVGA 3070, 3 Display Port +1 HDMI port), I’m excited for opinions and science and links and online retailers I never saw or heard of and I could go on and on (and I DID :lol:!)!

TL;DR: Go back to the first paragraph :chanpop:
I've had this for a few weeks now and I absolutely love it:
https://www.amazon.com/LG-32GP850-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Adjustable/dp/B093MFKDLP/

Got it for a sale price of $380ish. Also my eyesight sucks too and I can actually see/read much better on this thing than the 24" Dell UltraSharp I was using before.

I have zero complaints and after using it for work/news/games, I'd absolutely pay the extra hundo non-sale price if I had to.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

South posted:

Thanks for the replies everyone. What is the current thread favorite for a 32" 1440p 144hz+ monitor? Should I go IPS or VA? I mostly play shooters like Tarkov and Deep Rock Galactic.

I almost bought this, until I noticed it was used.
https://www.amazon.com/LG-32GN650-B-Ultragear-Reduction-FreeSync/dp/B08LLF9NS1/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=32GN650-B&qid=1645485438&s=pc&sr=1-2

LG 32GP850 (which I can personally vouch for and it owns) or the Gigabyte M32Q.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

my wife's company sent her a Dell monitor for her to use as part of a work-from-home set-up - it's a Dell 1440p ultrawide with built-in speakers

now that everything's OPEN ER UP-ing and they're coming back to the office, the company is taking it back, but she's still going to be working from home for at least half the week so she wants to buy her own monitor as a replacement

she says it doesn't need to be as large as what she's using now - my own computer uses a 27-inch 1080p screen and she says she wants something a little larger than that, so an in-between size would be either a 1440p not-ultrawide, or a 1080p that's just larger, like 30-inches

but she does like the built-in speakers

are there any keywords or "types" of monitors that I can use as a keyword for shopping around for something like that?

M32Q has speakers built in. Went with something else but the thread liked it earlier.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Sad Panda posted:

I have an AOC 32 inch QHD monitor. It just failed. I use it as an external monitor for my MacBook Pro. I use my computer for regular Office tasks and some coding. I do not care about using it for gaming. I'm in the UK and would rather not spend more than £350.

I'm happy with the 32" size so have been looking for something similar but figure I may as well get 4k. Looking at rtings, they mention the LG 32UL500-W as their best 4k budget pick. That has been discontinued and replaced with the LG 32UN500-W.

I've skimmed the last 10 pages and not seen much mention of WFH monitor suggestions. I'd love to hear any thoughts.
I use this for work/gaming and I'm very happy with it:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B093MFKDLP/

The switch to 165hz is very nice but if you're not used to it already, I'd probably go with the model you linked for the 4k upgrade at the cheaper price.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

DeceasedHorse posted:

LG 27GP850-B

Any thoughts?

I have the 32" version of this model and I love it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

codo27 posted:

you loving monster
Speaking of which is there any danger in keeping the wrapping on the front until/if it starts coming off on it's own? Picture looks great and I've kept it on in case some idiot guest touches the screen before I can bat their hand away.

BTW this is an LG 32GP850

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 1, 2022

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

tehinternet posted:

Oh my gently caress peel the plastic off, the mental image is making my skin try to crawl off of my body
I'm just gonna peel one of the corners a bit to leave a lil' flap (for venting)

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

RodShaft posted:

Thanks for the info I'll wait then.

I'm going with 32in 1440p because I have a deep desk and sit back in a big old style office chair when I play. Some online thing said at over 2ft distance 1440p wasn't any worse than 4k. Mix that with My PC not being a crazy powerhouse (I'm upgrading the RAM and buying a newer budget video card but 4k isn't a thing that will probably happen unless I just want to test it) and the only reason to go 4k would be future proofing or if there was a crazy deal.

I have a Series X, so I guess that would do 4k acceptable but again probably not noticable at my viewing distance.

Edit: if I'm wrong about viewing distance and resolutions let me know I admit not an authority on any of this.
After months of research I finally pulled the trigger on this almost a year back and I really, really like it. The only minor complaint I have with it is that the screen can't turn left/right, you need to move the stand itself.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

TheDK posted:

Just curious what is your use case for swiveling? Do you need to do it often?
Only if I'm showing something to someone in the office. Non-issue when I'm by myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

mexpak posted:

Do you regret the jump? I was also looking at 32" 1440p monitors but have just been getting lost in the weeds.

This has been a very nice monitor for me for what it's worth. Highly rated on Monitors Unboxed as well:
https://www.amazon.com/LG-32GP850-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Adjustable/dp/B093MFKDLP/