Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
I have 3 monitors in mind but I'm still quite undecided:

- Asus MS238H: cheap, decent video quality (but wobbles easily and has a horrible stand)

- Samsung LX2370: rave reviews for this one, superb video quality, high contrast, deep blacks (but too light, has horrible touch buttons and wobbles A LOT)

- Samsung PX2370: seems to be an improved version of the LX on all accounts.

What I like is deep blacks, color vibrance and fidelity. Basically for me it's 99% video quality and 1% stupid features, touch buttons, appearance, view angle. It could look like a brick with horrible controls but if the image quality is superb I'll buy it.

I expect to do a whole lot of gaming on it, watching movies, reading poo poo. 1920x1080 obviously.

Be free to suggest otherwise, I don't know anything about monitors but I don't want to spend more than 350$.

Paino fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

David Tennant posted:

You should probably consider a Dell U2311. It's more expensive, $280 at the moment, but you can't really go wrong.

Wow, the reviews look great.

The only downsides I can see are lack of HDMI input and (maybe) ghosting/lack of responsiveness in faster games? The former is a hassle but bearable, the latter kind of bothers me. Any U2311H owner can confirm/deny the issue?

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
Finally bought my U2311H.

I'm very satisfied with the purchase, except I wanted to tear my eyeballs on minute 1 because the factory setting is TOO loving SHARP. It's like a dagger piercing through your eyes and sinking into your brain. I'm not exaggerating, it's that bright. Obviously you can change it and I warmly recommend never going above 30% if you don't want to go blind.

Other than that the colors are incredible compared to my old TN. This is one beautiful monitor. The only gripe I have is that I saw it sitting next to a U2711 in the shop where I bought it. Now the U2311H can hold its own in color fidelity and overall image quality but oh my loving god the blacks. The blacks.

I was expecting this monitor to have great blacks but nope. They're better than a TN but not by that much. This is a major drawback and I'm surprised no one mentioned it anywhere in the thread. The counterpoint may be that unless you want to spend 700$ more you should just give up because night scenes in movies will look like poo poo on any reasonably priced LCD. Hell, only on Plasmas you see good blacks, they're barely acceptable even on Samsung LED HDTVs.

tl;dr: I'm a bit grumpy and think that LCDs should be replaced by a new technology that doesn't suck, but the U2311H is the best monitor you can buy in that price range.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

Some dillweed posted:

Hm. Good luck with that idea. LCD currently takes up too much of the display industry's collective attention and makes up too much of their current market for the other technologies to make significant headway. So, you're probably going to be waiting a while before anything better comes out and then even longer before the new technology's at a palatable price.

The color black will be there, waiting for me. Last time I saw it at home was on a pricy 1998 Sony CRT, now all I see is different shades of gray with lovely lighting behind it. And they called it HDTV? gently caress you.

By the way, full array LED are not as bad but they're expensive and the shades of grey are only slightly darker, with more detail in them. Still nothing a somewhat decent percent (ie: not the marketing guys) would ever call black.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
My U2311H menu doesn't seem to work correctly. When I click any button it takes forever to show the monitor menu and the hard unlock doesn't work. Also, when I turn my pc on it takes almost 1 minute for the screen to activate.

Is this some kind of bug? Anyone experienced it yet?

Paino fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 11, 2011

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
One thing I don't see mentioned enough in this thread is: U2311H is fantastic for regular use, bu don't even think about buying it for image editing/photography.

4 out of 5 screens (literally, if you see them next to each other in the store most of them will have the problem) have tint issues. A slight green tint on the left, a slight blue/purple to the right, any variations of the above. Just google the issue and you'll read countless reports.

It's almost impossible to notice while playing games/seeing movies, but if you open a blank white google page and have good eyes you'll see what I mean. A U2311H is an LG screen mounted on a Dell base, and LG quality control is horrific as usual.

I'm happy to have it regardless of the tint issues because the price/performance ratio is simply unbeatable, but this is something that should probably be mentioned in the OP.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho

DrDork posted:

Anyone serious about image editing/photography should really be getting a purpose-built monitor, anyhow. Something more like the U2410 with its gently caress-ton of configuration options, or one of the NEC IPS monitors will always work out much better. That said, even with the tint issues, the U2311H is probably better for content creation than the TN screens most people are moving up from.

Oh definitely, and unless you're spergin' hard about blank white pages and barely perceivable tints you won't ever know. This monitor is almost overkill for regular use.

However if you're thinking "whelp, I can do some image editing on an IPS for a fantastic price" you may be somewhat disappointed. Price difference between this and a U2711 or an Apple cinema is not only determined by size.

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
To all U2311H owners: what do you think about Dynamic Contrast?

It seems to be very good for games, but one thing that surprised me is that if I keep the game preset with dynamic contrast movies look definitely better, with colors that stand out more (while not being inaccurate) and deeper blacks.

I always keep Brightness to 30 and Contrast to 75 in any preset btw.

Anyone noticed this already?

Paino fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paino
Apr 21, 2007

by T. Finninho
Anyone using Dynamic Contrast in the U2311H game preset? It seems to make the whites more intense and the blacks deeper. On the other hand, I've heard Dynamic Contrast can drastically shorten the lifespan of monitor/hdtv...is this true?