Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6131/nixeus-vue-27-a-430-wqhd-2560x1440-sips-led-monitor

Corean monitors can now stay in Corea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I would pay the extra for height adjustable stand.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

:effort:

I would only get an arm for a multimonitor setup (which I don't need) anyhow.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I certainly wouldn't buy it for that reason—I considered it a bonus. That's pretty disappointing, though.

Are the Dell U3011 and HP ZR30W actual 10-bit? Is there an easy way to tell?

Speaking of which, is there anywhere we can find a comprehensive list of all the IPS panels that LG makes?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Has anyone tried/know more about the 30'' Corean IPS panels? Seems too good to be true at $680...

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Just pulled the the trigger on one of those Corean 30 inchers for ~$680. My 4 year old Samsung 1900x1200 just decided to begin dying a slow death a few days ago. Then again it has survived a move across the country, and 2 more subsequent moves. Rest in peace, old friend; may you find that eternal backlight in the sky.

I'm not too optimistic about dead pixels considering the price but from what I've gathered from other forums people can and do get flawless panels. Yes, it is a sizable premium over those 27 inchers but hey, when you're hellbent for 16:10, nothing else will do.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Got my 30 inch. 1 dead pixel - 6 inches right of dead center. Very gorgeous otherwise.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Indeed. My seller got mine to me in 2.5 business days. Ordered on monday night, got here thursday morning.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Quick report on the 30 inch (yamasaki leonidas):

Packaging is solid. Power adapter is a big brick but fortunately takes power from the female end of a standard computer PSU cable so no need to bother with the supplied prong adapter. Be aware that the cable coming out of the brick that goes to the monitor is a little on the short side. I would have liked another foot.

The stand is stable insofar as it remains firmly planted to my desk. The panel is massive enough to allow considerable wiggle but only when the panel is physically touched. The panel seems heavy enough to stabilize itself against desk movement/vibration much like how a heavier firearm counteracts felt recoil.

The panel build quality is quite high; completely encased in a brushed finish metal, including the bezel. However, the screen surface itself is set rather deeply in said bezel. I think 2 credit cards' thickness worth of a gap in there. Moreover, the space inside this gap (on the right and left sides) seems lightly colored which will show clearly if viewing the screen from an angle but not head on.

There is one dead pixel. Don't care.

The brighness seemed a little low to me, even at the maximum setting the monitor allows via physical control. No biggie, just a few extra clicks in the Catalyst control panel.

Color accuracy is obviously much better than any TN panel I've ever used. I don't have a colorimiter though so how far off I am and how close I can get it is unknown.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I have a corean 30 inch. Good poo poo. 1 dead pixel though but for $680 and insanely fast "free" shipping I'll live.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Wake me up when I can get a IPS 4k display for a thousand bucks. At 32 inches that works out to a little under 140 dpi. A 1080p on a 15.6 inch laptop for instance, is 141 dpi and I find that to be decently adequate. Retina is nice and all but for desktops and the viewing distance on them compared to laptops taken into consideration, I can't see the need at the moment.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Tab8715 posted:

Tell me about using a 30" @ 2560x1600.

Just straight up gargantuan. Although I will say that if you are going to a single 30'' from dual 1080p screens, you might need to get used to playing some window tetris. Everything will fit as there is enough space, but you gotta move it around. Also prepare to spend a shitton on graphics cards to play games at native res. Yes, I said cards as in plural.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I was talking primarily about BF3 and yes I do demand the ultra setting.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

How about a 20" 3840x2560 monitor?
http://liliputing.com/2013/01/hands-on-with-panasonics-20-inch-4k-tablet-prototype-video.html

Ok, so it's an all-in-one, (branded as a tablet :rolleyes:) but dat resolution. The sooner we get past this 1920x1080 bullshit, the better.

YESSSS wake me up when there's 32 inch 4k desktop display for a thousand bucks. I'll be in a coma until then.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Mods thread title change

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Treytor posted:

I mentioned it a little while ago in this thread, but Seiki has a 50" 4k TV that people are using for monitors:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7674736&CatId=4717

I've seen them on ebay for $1100 or so, too.

As TVs they aren't so good (scaling sucks), but people are loving them as monitors at 4k native resolution. Seiki is very responsive with support and firmware updates as well, so they look promising. I'm waiting for my 9+ year old Dell 30" to die so I can pick one up.

A 32'' 4k monitor would be ideal for me. Good enough PPI but not so large that it can't fit on a desk. Probably just best thought of as 4 15.6 inch laptop screens taped together seamlessly.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
That size is perfect for me. Good enough ppi but a deskable size.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I need 2x 6870s to get BF3 running smoothly at 2560x1600 on mostly ultra.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Alereon posted:

Do note that a Radeon HD 6870 isn't exactly a fast card (mid-range from two generations back...) so it shouldn't be too concerning that 1440p isn't realistically playable. You'd certainly need to look at at least a Radeon HD 7950 Boost 3GB or Geforce GTX 670 2GB (though it's kind of stupid to buy a card with only 2GB of video RAM for 1440p gaming as it will likely be obsolete in a flash). While there have been and are driver issues on the AMD side, the R7950 Boost 3GB is a pretty compellingly priced card.

The 6870 isn't a fast card because of a VRAM limitation and its not the chip's age being the primary problem. The 7950 might be 25%-40% faster but also consumes a third more power at full tilt compared to the 6870, gaining you practically nothing in "efficiency."

But yes, 2560xN :pcgaming: means you need more VRAM (and power supply) than you might think.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

The Lord Bude posted:

Well if someone can explain how to set up 3 27" 1440p monitors, at the correct viewing distance of just over an arms length, and somehow miraculously have room for my fuckoff massive bookshelf speakers, whilst also maintaining a perfect equilateral triangle between the speakers and my seating position (yes I use a tape measure, because I am an enormous sperglord) whilst also ensuring that there are no objects blocking line of sight to the speakers so as not to muffle the sound...

This is why I don't get people wanting to use 40+ inch 4k panels for monitors (when they get affordable). That poo poo is just too big for a desk.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
They seem to have plenty of pixel density because 30 inchers require slightly more distance between you and them on a desk than say, a 23 inch and yes I do have a 30 inch. 40 inches is simply not a deskable size for most people since they'd either run out of desk space entirely or out of view distance and have to operate their keyboard/mouse a foot or two in mid air out in front of their desk.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I'm torn between the larger (36 inch+) 4k "monitors" that aren't really deskable for most people and the smaller (<30 inch) ones that are going to have really tiny text without any scaling when viewed at normal desk distances. It just seems that for conventional usage: "its a monitor sitting on its factory stand on a desk" there's a fairly small sweet spot for 4k monitor size. I guess on the plus side for smaller you could always just play games on FHD and get crazy mad FPS for those of us who already have 1440p or 1600p capable rigs.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
For 2160 vertical lines, I won't resist having 16:9 rammed down my throat. The problem was that 1080 just wasn't enough when 1200 was available.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Its a TN. That makes it even worse than being 30Hz. Nobody is interested.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yeah some of those guys are not only insanely fast but efficient too; my 30 inch could have been shipped to Dulles airport which is totally DC area but they sent to Reagan which is like 9 blocks from my place. 2.5 business days from Korea to my desk.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

The Lord Bude posted:

This. Call me when I can buy a 4k IPS screen between 30 and 40" that does 60hz without driver fuckery to make the computer think you have 2 screens; and it costs less than $1k; and I can get 60fps on max settings with a single GPU (I'm guessing this is two generations away). Until then; not interested.

Also keep the input lag to reasonable levels too.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
the Dell uses like 40% less power than the HP and is a few pounds lighter if any of these differences mean anything to you.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

japtor posted:

5120x2880 is officially a thing :getin:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8496/dell-previews-27inch-5k-ultrasharp-monitor-5120x2880

Now to wait for 6880x2880 ultrawides

I'm just looking for a dependable 32-34 inch 4k IPS panel with not horrific input lag for <$1000. Anything physically larger is not deskable and anything smaller just feels like a downgrade from my 30 incher.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Oh, I agree the term is highly subjective and defined as much by the dimensions of the desk as the preferences of the user. For multiple displays, you're not as obligated to view everything at once, whereas with a single panel you are. A 40 inch 4K might still look fantastic but I would need to move my mouse and keyboard into the thin air in front of my desk to really use the thing. On the other hand, I'm not sure I could go no scaling with the insane PPI of a smaller display.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Josh Lyman posted:

27" or die. :colbert:

Still physically smaller than my 30'' :frogout:

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
business in the front 4k party in the back 1080p (while we wait for GPUs to catch up)

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Anybody have an opinion on the new U32E850R?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Any thoughts on LG's 32UD99? News on this guy came out around the time the XB271HU had its price drop at Costco, and I didn't see any discussion about it. I haven't shopped for monitors in years, and will likely be connecting a 2016 MBP and a PS4 Pro. It seems like that would be a reasonable 4K display for those devices.

edit: I realize it's not out -- just wondering if those specs and such seem to line up with the price point. I'll at least wait to see what early reports on the shipping units are like.

I'm waiting for reviews to see how the HDR support on this pans out. It doesn't seem to have enough brightness to support the HDR10 standard but who knows. 32 inches is certainly much more usable without scaling than a 27 although IMO 35-36 would be ideal.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Erm, I had an old Viewsonic overclocked to 85hz that died after only 4 years.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

PerrineClostermann posted:

I use a 29" Ultrawide in the center, and then use two monitors above it on either side. Kind of like this:

Stolen from a review for this mount, which is what I have: https://www.amazon.com/VIVO-Monitor-Adjustable-Screens-STAND-V003T/dp/B00B1D03GQ/

Ah, Logitech Z623. Because they don't make the Z-2300 anymore.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Mmmm Logitech z2300 yesss

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Paul MaudDib posted:

You know what, at this point I'd probably rather have 200 Hz IPS WQHD rather than 120 Hz UHD/4K.

Bullshit. 4x 1080p windows on the desktop at the same time is too good.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
HDMI spec versions.

Pascal only supports HDMI 2.0 out of the box. DP 1.2 will do 4k up to 75hz though but tell that to the people who actually make LCD panels and they'll give you a plain old 60hz part and tell you to piss off.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Klipsch promedia, eh? They're pretty good but I prefer my Logitech z2300.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

nnnotime posted:

Did you get the P4317Q? I got the same model a few months ago. To adjust height I had to put some books under the stand. I don't know why they put the speakers on the monitor, just adds unnecessary weight.

One big annoyance I have with the P4317Q: with my GTX 980Ti the colors look a little faded, so I have to go to the Nvidia control panel under "Adjust Desktop Color Settings" and constantly toggle the Digital Vibrance to get the bolder colors back.

The issue occurs if I go from desktop to any game and then back to the desktop, which resets back the faded colors. Not sure if it's a driver issue or some configuration I need to change I'm not aware of.

Make sure your xbox game bar thing is turned off in Windows.?