Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Went from an LG W2600HP-BF which I thought was a good monitor, to a glossy Crossover (didn't want to gently caress around with finding a place to buy a new stand or mounting it) and I am definitely in favor of the glossy screen.

I have 1 stuck pixel but it is relatively out of the way and with the size of the pixels on these panels it is not an issue for me, even when I go looking for it takes me a few seconds to find it on a black background.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I didn't pay any extra toll for my Crossover in Denmark, I did have to pay 25% VAT and a flat handling charge by the Danish postal service. Toll here is based on the type of product, had it been an mp3 player I would not have gotten away with just VAT for example.

They did withhold it until I sent them an "invoice" (screenshot of the ebay confirmation email), claiming there was no invoice - which there was, it was just declared unrealistically low at $100. I think there is a 'free ride' classification up to just over $200 too :(.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Rotation Confusion posted:

So trip report after having the 21:9 3440x1440 LG 34UM95 for more than a week.

Light bleed: Totally there in the bottom left corner. Not too bad, but if you want one of these, be willing to ship it back a time or two if you want to watch movies with it. Some people get them w/o any, some people have gotten three and each have a bit of it. If it's going to drive you crazy, wait or get something else. For gaming I haven't noticed the light bleed except when deliberately looking for it on a dark screen. No dead or stuck pixels.

Otherwise, Picture: Great after some in-windows calibration. I don't knows if it's professional color quality but I'm pretty picky on color and it looks fine to me. Oh the anti-glare coating is probably the best balanced one I've ever seen. Sunny room with side-lighted windows and it's never fuzzy or reflective.

Vid-card demand: The whole "it's a lot more space w/o a crazy ton more pixels to drive like 4/5K monitors have" thing is a really good way to think of this monitor. I can run everything I've got at 60FPS w/ every option turned up on a superclocked gtx780 w/ a 4690 processor. It's a really good expensive but not insane middle ground.

Did you replace the stand? Have you tried the included software to divide the screen? Are there other options than 50/50?

I'm waiting for reviews on the AOC and further details on the curved LG and the Dell, but other than that I am pretty much sold on the format. I was going to hold out for the whole GSync / Adaptive Sync deal to shake out, but all the gushing over the LG has me sold. I have to replace my 670 anyway, it's started emitting a pretty horrible coil whine, and I was probably going to step up to the 980 since my current monitor is 2560*1440.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 15, 2014

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
There's an AOC 34" 21:9 coming out October officially, but I see shops claiming they'll have stock possibly this week already in Denmark. It's based on the same panel as the LG 34" with a more functional but less sexy stand. It seems to be about 10% cheaper (5695DKK vs 6164DKK - down from 6500 last week), whatever that makes it in $ without VAT and Danish tech markups.

There's also a curved version from LG, Dell and AOC - presumably all on LG's panel, coming later this year and a Samsung using their own panel this year or the next.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Found listings for the upcoming LG 34UC97-S Curved 21:9. It is currently 40-45% up from the 34UM95-P.

I don't know if the prices can be trusted, but this was basically what I needed to convince me I'd rather have the AOC. Now it just needs to come in stock - the power brick for my Crossover is emitting a terrible whining noise and has to go.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Apparently komplett has been shipping the AOC 34 in Scandinavia for three weeks now, but they continually sell out every batch before they get them in.

27 September 2014 posted:

Edit: I have only had the monitor since Tuesday, so I might miss something.
I just pre ordered it from the Scandinavian retailer Komplett and they shipped it to me.
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/223163-aoc-u3477pqu-review-big-pictures/

I really really want this, but I also really want a faster panel and Gsync because I tell myself I would totally know the difference. I would wait, but my current monitor is driving me crazy so I have to decide between this and the Swift.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Fruits of the sea posted:

Only available directly from Dell, and at $615, it's very expensive, even by Danish standards.

How about AOC i2460Pxqu? It's about 1800DKK. I wasn't able to confirm if it has that type of scaling, but it does a have menu point for type of scaling.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Oct 19, 2014

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

El Scotch posted:

Huh. I wonder what part is bandwidth limited. Given the Asus Swift, obviously DP has the bandwidth for 144hz at 1440.

They probably just chose 1080 because it scales perfectly to 4k.

No connector currently in use would support 4k at 120Hz according to http://emsai.net/projects/widescreen/bandwidth/

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

El Scotch posted:

Yes, that part is known. I'm wondering what limited them to 120Hz at 1080p instead of 1440. The screen can do 120Hz and DP has the bandwidth for it at 1440p so why not do it?

E: I suppose going back to the original post the interesting bit is that there is a 120Hz factory IPS. I don't see why someone couldn't sell a 1440p model. Though, we have heard that they'll be coming in the next year or two I suppose.

I said 1080 scales perfectly, 1440 would not. I'm not sure why you would want to run a resolution that the panel is not made for.

You're better off waiting for one of those.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
What is it you want from 16:10 at a higher resolution than 1920x1200?

As someone else suggested you can get much more from a 34" ultrawide. You still get more vertical space than you have now, and you can divide the screen to achieve something close to 2*5:4 for productivity. For significantly less money than a 2560x1600 too.

Edit:
The AOC is shipping when it gets in stock in Denmark, but people are preordering more than the shops get in so it looks like the date is slipping.

Edit2:
Dustin just lowered their price again, 5299DKK - but they don't expect to have stock before late December now: https://www.dustinhome.dk/product/5010797723/professional-u3477pqu
While Komplett expects a shipment on the 24th.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Oct 22, 2014

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I read about the problems with the ROG Swift but bought one anyway. I wouldn't have bought a new monitor at this time unless my old one was bugging me as much as it was. I haven't seen any dead pixels, but I have only had it for one week and have not sat down and spent any time looking for them.

Coming from an IPS of the same size and resolution the color shift is very noticeable and still bothers me. On the other hand in a game like the new Borderlands the combination of GSync and response times / frame rates were very pleasing - after a few hours I got used to it however, and I haven't tried turning GSync off or the frame rate down to see whether it's something I would actually really miss.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Takkaryx posted:

From a while back, but I ended up getting this guy, the call of 1440p was greater than 2 extra inches. I've had it for a few weeks now, and it's amazing. I don't think I've worked with a good IPS panel before and everything is so loving crisp, clear and bright. Comparing the same image on this and my 4 year old monitors is like night and day. The stand was as expected stupendously lovely, but that's what mounts are for. Thanks again for the recommendation!

Good news, the one you picked is actually physically larger as well:
code:
	27" 16:9	29" 21:9
Area	311.50 inches²	304.50 inches²
http://www.displaywars.com/27-inch-16x9-vs-29-inch-21x9

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
"4K" is exactly twice the number of pixels horizontal and vertical of 1920x1080. So each pixel maps to 4 pixels, it will not be blurry, but you would not gain anything from the higher pixel density either so what's the point?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Harik posted:

How did those Korean DVI-only 1440p monitors manage to overclock, anyway? You're way WAY out of DVI-spec with that refresh rate.
Apparently they performed above DVI specs.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Subjunctive posted:

OK, thanks. I'd been looking at the ROG 1440p 144Hz thing lately with a covetous eye. Any caveats I should be aware of?

A few people in this thread had bad panels, that's a high percentage since very few around here have it, but that also means small a sample size. Mine has been flawless so far however.

The transition from K-IPS to TN of the same size and resolution was not too bad for me, but it did take a couple of weeks before I stopped noticing every time I sat down in front of it ( I have probably also adjusted my sitting posture for the better since, which helps reduce the vertical color shift ).

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Boz0r posted:

Are 10-bit 4K displays anything worth notice yet?

EDIT: And are any 4K screens 120+ Hz yet?

I think 4K 120Hz is actually out of reach of any of the currently available connectors.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
When they can push 2560*1440 at 144Hz, 3440*1440 should easily be able to reach 100Hz.

Edit: 3440*1440@100Hz happens to almost exactly the same pixels/s as 3840*2160@60Hz

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jun 2, 2015

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Tivac posted:

Did you ever find a large 4k screen that wasn't garbage?

There's speculation Philips may announce something this week, pricy however.

Subjunctive posted:

OK, I'll try and dig those up, thanks!

Looks like the magic word is "X34P" and the details are just "Q4".

I'm waiting for details on this one myself, really tempted to jump on it once it releases. Although I'm still hoping for 144Hz, since DP 1.3 is finally starting to get some traction.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Bigger monitor in front smaller off to the side, both at work and at home.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
For those who aren't looking gsync:

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/01/samsung-brings-quantum-dots-to-its-curved-gaming-monitors/

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I use the monitor's limit to keep Skyrim at 60 after disabling VSync since physics go nuts over 60. That's the only use I have had for it, otherwise I just leave it at 144.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I just got my Ultrawide a couple of days ago. Is it worth it? I'm not regretting it, but you might?

Went from 27" 2560x1440@144 to 34" 3440x1440@100 both GSync. It's expensive, my 980Ti is just on the low end for it - but that was already the case, it does sometimes take a bit of effort to get games to work well with it. But when you do, it's really really good - doesn't take long to get used to however; like with IPS and GSync I suspect it will be one of those things I will notice more whenever I have to do without it.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
:respek::shepspends: X34 buddy.

Presumably you got the X34A, remember to go into the OSD to overclock it and then change the refresh rate in the driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Ghostpilot posted:

Out of curiosity, what 27" monitor were you using?

ASUS PG278Q ROG, so the first line I think? Good TN, but still TN.