Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
I need a DisplayPort cable for my new third monitor (Dell 2412m) since my two DVI ports are already taken up, are there any to avoid? I read some reviews and it looks like there are some issues with some cables not bringing the monitor out of sleep mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Are there any recommendations for a something like a 1080/1440/2k ultrawide? I have a 22" 1080 and a 24" 1200 that I would like to keep so I would ideally want to avoid any scaling issues with high-dpi monitors. I'd be gaming on it part of the time, but I think going back to a TN would be a bit of hard sell so I'd really like to stick with an IPS unless something has changed in the last few years to make TN panels more attractive. Price range is more than 'open-box Acer with 4 dead pixels' but less than 'Korean import with custom power adapter' because otherwise I have no clue.

This Dell 29" is more or less the size/resolution I'm shooting for.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Xarn posted:

I did some looking through monitors I can buy and it seems that I can either get 29" LG 29UM58 (IPS, Ultrawide, 75Hz) or 24" AOC G2460PF (TN, 1080p, 144Hz and FreeSync), or maybe 27" Samsung LS27E370DS (PLS, 60hz, FreeSync, 1080p).

Basically it seems that I can get a nice monitor with no FreeSync, a fast monitor with panel that is still a minor upgrade (currently I have 24" TN panel from Acer :v:) and a Samsung with FreeSync that I am not entirely sure about (I don't have good experience with Samsung stuff... they seem to be nice, but with mediocre SW and full marketing gimicks).

Ideas/suggestions?

I feel like I'm in the same boat. I have. 1200p Ultrasharp and my options seem to be getting a higher refresh but smaller 1080p, a larger 1440p with the same refresh, or spending $800 on a high-refresh 1440p but then not being able to drive 144hz with anything but a $600 GTX 1080. It's almost like my monitor is good enough already. :v:

I would like to try a 144hz model though.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

What are your thoughts on a single stuck pixel? I just got my ASUS PG279Q and it's absolutely perfect, minimal backlight bleed... but it's got one stuck magenta pixel in the bottom left quadrant of the screen. It's pretty much unnoticeable while gaming and only really shows up against a white (forums) background. Have tried lightly tapping it, pressure method, left JSS screen fix for a couple hours and all that, but it hasn't come unstuck yet. I believe only one stuck pixel falls outside of ASUS' replacement warranty and it shouldn't bother me except for what I paid on this monitor and the fact that I already refunded one other. Should I just learn to deal, find a more aggressive pixel unsticking method?

Return it and get a new one until it's fixed over and over forever. Completely serious. That's unacceptable and the manufacturers need to get it through their heads.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
The Acer Predator XB271HU seems to be sold out in a few places and I swear Amazon raised the price $100 recently. I wonder if it's a coincidence or if that many people are upgrading because of the new nvidia cards.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

SlimBrady posted:

I haven't seen this before but it looks like ViewSonic just released a price competitor to the XB271HU and PG279Q:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...AQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

I won't be the first to play Quality Control Roulette if it's the same panel, but it looks good.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Return it if it has dead pixels.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Ingenium posted:

So I have settled on finally getting myself the XB271HU. Is there a general recommendation for the vendor to use? I have had good customer service in the past from newegg, but amazon has it $55 cheaper.

I'd pay a premium to buy it from Amazon, so $55 cheaper seems like a no brainer.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I am on the verge of pulling the trigger on a $750 IPS 2k 144hz XB271HU on Amazon.

Talk me out of it? Main use case is gaming on a 1080GTX.

edit: too late, trigger pulled :suicide:

It's a unit that 3 other people have already returned for having uneven backlighting or other quality issues plus whatever damage was caused by the 6 UPS voyages it has endured thus far. Probably not though.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Dangerllama posted:

Godammit. The second PG279Q has some noticeable bleed in the upper right corner. Trying to decide if I’m going to live with it or return this one too.

Sisyphus buys a monitor.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Turkson posted:

Hello thread!

I need some advice. I'm currently using Dell U2414H as my main monitor and my incredible ancient Westinghouse L2410NM as my secondary. The Westinghouse has been a workhorse for many years now but it is starting to go. I have a vertical line of pixels that is going and it seems to be widening.

My question is should I get a 2nd Del U2414? Amazon has it for $200. Or do I get a used one from Amazon Warehouse for $150?

Or...

A Dell U2415 for $220? Would the extra 120 pixels be worth 20 extra dollars?

My computer stats if it helps:
i5-2500k
gtx 970
16 gb ram

I have a 2412M and a 2312HM which is a similar setup and the extra 120 pixels is worth $20 if you're looking between the two, but I don't know how they compare to other brands at the same price point. I certainly don't have any complaints about either model.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

Kaboobi posted:

Dang, got my XB271HU refurb and there's one stuck pixel, which normally wouldn't bother me but it's a super light blue and in the dead center of the screen. Time to run one of those flashy tools for 12 hours and hope for the best, any other suggestions before I reach out to Acer and get told to get bent?

Stan Taylor posted:

Got my XB271HU refurb in today. No dead pixels, a little BLB in the bottom right corner but nothing terrible. I can only really tell if i am in total darkness otherwise.

Only thing is it didn't come with the USB cable. Can I get one cheap online or should I just contact the customer service and see if they'll give me one for free? I can't really tell what kind of port it is for the input.

Constellation I posted:

XB271HU just came in. Not going to lie, I was super anxious about this monitor arriving given my luck with it in the past. Unfortunately, that was fully justified. Anyway... it's going back. This is my 4th try in getting this monitor for the past 2 years and still have had no luck.

1st monitor - shining star like specks (only visible on a black screen). Pretty much this, but not green: https://imgur.com/a/lyEvG
2nd - dead pixels
3rd - stuck pixels
4th - horrible IPS glow on the top right of the panel

Really awful loving luck with this goddamn AU Optronics panel. Such a goddamn shame considering my secondary old as gently caress $300 Korean monitor had none of these issues.

I'm done with this panel and will just wait out the 27" 165Hz native IPS panel from LG that's supposed to start manufacturing this December and out next year. Hopefully they have better QC. Acer QC must have been absolute dog poo poo the first couple of years for this monitor for this to be much improved. Though I suppose in the past, the panels likely had all of these issues all at once, so there's an improvement I guess.

XB271HU is on sale on Amazon for $599. Please use my referral code https://www.amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-bmiprz-2560x1440/dp/B06ZXZ3QBD/ref=StopBuyingThisBrokenAssMonitor

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Was there ever a 1440p version of the Acer Nitro XV273K Pbmiipphzx introduced? The VX2 is 1440p but idk. I thought that might have been a rumor at one point. Also, any idea on the pronunciation?

Statutory Ape posted:

Iirc they had rounds of ammo , magazines , as well as guns lol

Tonight on Action 7 News, Is your teen downloading guns?

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Mar 6, 2019

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Is there anything gained by going with gsync vs a compatible/certified monitor? Or does that depend on the monitor? My understanding is that gsync certification is a floor on the expectation of performance, given that freesync implementation varies, but that still doesn't put a mark on how gsync differs other than being nvidia specific.

Also interesting:
https://www.amazon.com/LG-27GL850-B-Ultragear-Compatible-Monitor/dp/B07TD94TQF/

No reviews anywhere yet.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Jun 24, 2019

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I feel like these monitors have been priced pretty high for quite a while. I know the LG has gone down to around $370 but are the prices for other monitors similar? I guess it’s just better to wait it out

Which LG model is this? I'm seeing prices and price histories in the $440-520 USD range for LG 27GL83A-B 27 Inch and LG 27GL850-B 27 Inch models. I don't doubt you but just want to make sure it's not a currency or model difference that's throwing me off.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007

The REAL Goobusters posted:

LG 27GL83A-B 27 inch

I’m getting the prices from this (and the previous replies in the thread): https://www.nowinstock.net/full_historydetails/853/44783/

Huh, weird. Thank you. A bargain if I can get one.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Does it matter whether I use HDMI or DP if I'm getting a 10' cable? The 5' one this monitor came with is too short.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Looks like i have 3x DP and 1x HDMI so I'll just roll the dice on the DP. It's the LG 27GL83A-B and a 2080 Ti so presumably it will work.

ItBurns fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 22, 2020