Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
Looking for a monitor for a laboratory setup in the 23-24" range:
- Wide viewing angle (both axis)
- High contrast
- Non-glossy (frame and screen)
- Color reproduction not important (B&W images)
- USB hub a plus but not necessary

IPS would seem like a bit of a waste but TN has horrible viewing angles, but if someone knows a specific model that fits the bill...
We're only looking at B&W footage, but we need high contrast and good viewing angles so we don't miss anything. We can't filter the images to increase contrast since then we don't know if we're actually getting a good signal (repeatability).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
The measurement room is typically dark during precise measurements, so glowing blacks would be pretty annoying. Glowing blacks plus images without a lot of dynamic range don't mix well.

For reference we're switching from a crappy early 00's Philips LCD. Its extremely angle sensitive. This isn't a medical application, although we do measurements for medical purposes (instruments, pharmaceutics).

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
People have complained a lot about text showing up blurry on TVs connected to computers, is it still a problem with native 1080p60 panels and modern graphics chips outputting the same via HDMI? I know about toggling cleartype for the best visual apparent quality, but is there anything technically problematic with using a TV as a monitor?

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Quanta posted:

Dell takes a backward step with their update for the U2410, and is also planning replacements for their 23" and 21.5" screens:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/23.htm#dell_u2412h_1

Any new info now that the 24 is out? I'm thinking of buying a U2311H but if the new version is coming soon I can hold on with my (slowly) dying CRT.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
Looks like the U2312HM is out everywhere now, starting to ship out today.

Elos posted:

Just bought one of these from Dell Finland for 299 EUR including delivery even though it's something like 370 EUR on their website. Just had to call their salespeople and ask nicely. :unsmith:

EDIT: might seem a bit much if you compare it to US prices but it's an extremely good deal here.

I'm seeing the U2412M on their website for €356 (inc. VAT) and the U2312HM for €282. How'd you manage to talk the price down since at €299 it makes no sense to get the 23" at that price? Calling in as a home user?

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Elos posted:

I pretty much just asked how much and the guy said "just a bit under 300 euros" and emailed me the offer.

0207 533 540? I've called 0207 533 533 before but that's always been for work and I doubt they'd deal with individuals. If I can get a similar price I might even buy several since I know a couple of people who could use an upgrade.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
I'm guessing the back light is being pulsed at too low a frequency, so you can actually sense it while not being conscious of it. Ideally you pulse the LED pump at several megahertz and then that gets further smoothed out by the relaxation time of the phosphor, but its marginally cheaper to pulse it at lower frequencies. It might also be that the duty cycle control (brightness) is causing the pump to not function properly, which would make the strobe effect ever more apparent if the pump rise time is increased.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Belan posted:

Fedex just dropped off my Catleap. Ordered on April first to Finland.

What did it cost with shipping to Finland, and did it get stuck in customs?

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
Been using a U2412M for a couple of days. Coming from a CRT (GDM-F520, little brother of FW900) the black levels in low light are a bit annoying, and if you're too close to the monitor then you see the edges of the screen at a different angle and the blacks have noticeable backlight glow. There is also noticeable blurring in fast movements in FPS games, turning quickly mostly. Getting used to it, don't even want to think about how bad standard LCDs must be like.
Colors are great, zero pixel defects, stand is built well and the overall look is good. The single LED is dim and the only prominent break in the black bezel is the small Dell logo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
Does any company besides Eizo make S-PVA/VA monitors with proper stands? Apparently the EV2333W is no longer being produced and retailers have run out. It was the only reasonable priced high monitor with a great panel (contrast and brightness), matte body/screen, and highly adjustable stand. Eizo's similarly priced offerings are either 1650x1050 or IPS/TN. The S2233WFS actually costs more for lower contrast, size, and resolution.