Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Looking for advice. I'm currently using a pair of 21-ish" 16:9 1080p monitors for my desktop and I know I need something nicer now that I'm working from home and doing more publishing/design work. I'm mostly on the web, in a document, or in Excel most of the day. I barely game and have an XBox1 on the big screen for that if I really want to.

I've seen advice on the nice sharp Dells in the 250-300 price range, but what would the hive mind recommend. I'm willing to buy a new video card that supports display port if necessary. I want something that will be nice to look at for 16 hours a day in Excel or Illustrator or whatever. So, refresh rate isn't a huge priority, but clarity and color are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

Looking for advice. I'm currently using a pair of 21-ish" 16:9 1080p monitors for my desktop and I know I need something nicer now that I'm working from home and doing more publishing/design work. I'm mostly on the web, in a document, or in Excel most of the day.

Follow up question, would I be better off with 2x 16:10 monitors at 1920x1200 or a 28" 4k monitor?

Since I tend to buy monitors once a decade I'd like to be happy with what I end up with and I'm a bit worried that the future is display port and 4k.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Remora posted:

LG 27UD58P-B on sale at Newegg for $330, worth buying?

Follow up, if not, what is a recommended 4k monitor for reasonable money?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I've got some Xmas money still hanging around. What is the recommended monitor setup for someone who browses the web, does a little content creation, and mostly is in Excel or coding all day?

Games sound fun, I wish I had time for them.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
27", 2k / 1440p, gsync? Any recommendations? I'm willing to drop Gsync since gaming is about 5% of the use.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Since he didn't explicitly mention a desire for IPS, the 27" Dell TN should be included in the list, too. Too bad I don't think there's a sale on it right now.

IPS good, TN bad? Best buy has the S2716DGR for 430

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

eames posted:

Dell TNs are really good value for gaming but I personally would not recommend them to somebody who states "gaming is about 5% of the use."

Vast majority of my time unfortunately is Excel and web.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
If I give up on Gsync, then what is the recommended 2k/4k monitor for browsing, office work, and the occasional shooty games.

I currently have 24" dual and I'm thinking 27" and a Vesa Arm

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

If I give up on Gsync, then what is the recommended 2k/4k monitor for browsing, office work, and the occasional shooty games.

I currently have 24" dual and I'm thinking 27" and a Vesa Arm

Dell Ultrasharp? Or one of the cheaper Samsung or Acer numbers?

Is there a chance in hell that NVidia ever adopts Freesync or are they dug in on that?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Dumb question, but are you locked into your video card's "sync" system to drive a higher refresh rate display?

Could you use an Nvidia card with a 144hz Freesync display and get >60hz on it? Just using say, Vsync or something instead of the "sync" to dynamically refresh?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
If I'm doing dual monitors should I be looking at 2x: 24" 2k, 27" 2k, or 27" 4k?

Its at a desk, so normal desk depth is the distance to them.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Stan Taylor posted:

What are you using them for? I'm rocking my old 24"1080 next to my new 27"1440 and it's fine for throwing like Netflix or chat or something on the smaller screen while gaming on the big one. I don't need it at all but it works and is cool.

Mostly office work, some video, some gaming. My OCD is too high to deal with mismatched monitors.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
How big of a mistake am I about to make?

Two BenQ 27" QHD IPS PD2700Q monitors with the AmazonBasics Premium Dual Monitor Stand.

Are the cheaper monitor arms as good?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

FunOne posted:

How big of a mistake am I about to make?

Two BenQ 27" QHD IPS PD2700Q monitors with the AmazonBasics Premium Dual Monitor Stand.

Are the cheaper monitor arms as good?

The more I think about it, the more I think I want 4k. I spent all day in front of these monitors, I want them to be high quality and sharp. If I game, which is rarely, I need it to work (can't have 50ms of input lag or something), but high performance is a computer problem I can solve in the future.

Now I'm looking at the BenQ 27" 4k IPS GW2764HT, but should I be looking at the newest Dell in that size range? Or something from Acer or LG?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Amazon dangled a 12% or so off coupon in front of me so I bit the bullet and bought 2x LG 27" 4K UHD HDR10 Freesync monitors and the Amazon Basics monitor arm that everyone seems to recommend.

They'll be here Saturday, I hope I didn't just make a huge mistake (IT WILL BE AWESOME).

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Partial Octopus posted:

Thinking about grabbing one of those to use as a secondary monitor for media. Would I run into any weird issues running one monitor at 1440p and the second at 4k?

No idea on the resolution issue, but I can give you a review after the weekend. I should have them here tomorrow. Amazon went ahead and made that price drop into the new price, so they're under 400 now.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Statutory Ape posted:

my thoughts: if you're in america, buying a monitor 3 weeks before black friday is probably not ideal

Counterpoint, buy it with a credit card that lets you price match against the BF advertising. Get it now, pay the later price. Win-win.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

TheFluff posted:

I'd say that depends on what games you play. For most gamers I'd agree, but I went the opposite way myself. If you don't play fast-paced games much or at all then 4k might do more for you.

The move to 4k and the extra screen real estate I have in Outlook, excel, etc. is awesome.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

karoshi posted:

Hopefully it gets hacked to hell so it works with any freesync monitor. Did they say which gen cards are gonna support it? I'm on a 960 and my Dell 2001FP is getting a bit old and cranky. I'd rather not pay for a premium leather jacket.

Unapproved monitors or untested ones will have a switch available to turn it on manually. No hacking necessary.

"For gamers who have monitors that we have not yet tested, or that have failed validation, we’ll give you an option to manually enable VRR, too."

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Bobstar posted:

Been out of the monitor-hunting game for a while, so I did some digging and came up with these two:

LG 27UK650-W

I work from home and have a 2x LG 27UK650 setup on monitor arms. Its a TAD big for my viewing distance, and I have scaling at 1.5 in Windows and 110% in Chrome to make things more reasonable.

If you're only doing one, then do it, its great. You have so much real estate to work with. Excel is awesome on this screen.

If you're doing two then really think about your space and the distance from the screens. These are almost too wide to work for me on a regular basis.

It is nice being able to put 4 columns of something up on the screen though.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Lots of poo poo on sale with the Amazon thing today, but of key interest here the 2x monitor arm mount is about 60 bucks off of what I paid for it.

Mine holds up a 2x 4k 27" setup and seems incredibly solid.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
I have a 2x LG 27" setup, its balllllllller screen real estate. Almost too big.

You've got to put it into HDR/Freesync mode, which isn't the default, which causes other poo poo to break/change/whatever. I've never bothered since the range is so small.

EDIT: Monitor thread. On my desktop it is almost too big to have 2, but 1 would be perfect for many people. I run at 125% scaling and I easily have 4 windows across on many of my desktops.

I still don't understand why windows is such hot-garbage at multiple desktops, multiple monitors, and games. Why does it have to move windows off my second monitors, gently caress with arrangement, gently caress with icons, etc just to load a drat game?

JUST PUT IT BACK WHEN I"M DONE ALREADY.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
What is the secret sauce to force my displays AND WINDOWS to stick at full native 4k, but to render the game in 1440 or similar and GPU scale it up? Surely I'm not the first person with 4k monitors that wants to play games without loving up the rest of my desktops because of resolution changes.

I found some stuff saying to do it in NVIDIA control panel, but for the life of me I can't make it work.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

With the added benefit that the GUI usually still renders at native resolution, and in fancier engines you get temporal upscaling as well. That should be your first choice if the game has it.

So, back to my question as my game obviously doesn't support this. Is there any way to force an app to output fullscreen/4k but render 1440 or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

repiv posted:

I don't think there's a generic way to do that. Enabling GPU scaling in the NVCP will ensure that the monitor always gets a 4K signal, but as far as Windows is concerned it's still dropping to 1440p and will mess up your icons or whatever problem you're having.

I use Windows' garbage multidesktop setup aggressively. When you switch resolutions it bumps windows off their alignment or monitor on every desktop. A bitch to load up a game then reset all 8 or more layouts.

Doesn't help that things like "Tile Horizontally" and similar understand that to mean all windows on all desktops, so you end up with two tiny little boxes on every display. So you can't even fix them easily.