Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Gwaihir posted:

Mine has a pretty decently bright bit of IPS glow if you're looking at it even slightly off axis, but that's pretty par for the course (I'm using it at 50% brightness).

Is this because of the IPS technology? I'm more inclined to believe it's due to the LED backlighting.

I have a U2311 and a U2312HM (both eIPS) that I use side by side and I seem to be getting what I believe was to be backlight bleeding on the U2312HM but this glow that you mention could be it. Is this just generally accepted as normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

bacon! posted:

Someone posted this thread in coupons:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3575496

35% off refurb dell monitors. Picked up a U2713HM for $415 and change. Great deal!

I didn't need to see this. I already have a U2311 for my second monitor but I might consider replacing it with another U2312HM. Decisions, decisions.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Well in the revelation that this tech is possible with 60 Hz IPS displays, I am now very excited about G Sync. What are the chances that these monitor manufacturers see enough of a demand for the IPS panels that they'll release them concurrently with the 144 Hz TN panels?

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Zorilla posted:

So, is Dell trying to pass off their B-stock as factory refurbished units now or what? My replacement U2713HM came in today, and while the LCD panel itself seems to be free of issues so far (we'll see about backlight bleed tonight), the cabinet has at least one chip in the paint on one corner, the stand is scratched, and the rear stickers look like they were put on using Elmer's Glue.

I normally wouldn't care about small cosmetic flaws like this if I were purchasing a used unit that was a few years old, but this thing just rolled out of the factory months ago and it was sold to me as refurbished to factory new standards. Dell sells plenty of items in "B" grade condition on eBay and elsewhere, and that's fine, but that's not how I obtained my monitor.

Edit: nope, this thing has a big blob of backlight leakage in the top left corner (and a smaller one in the top right)

I suspect something of the sort. I picked up a second U2312HM last week due to the 35% off sale. The display is fine although for some reason to match my other one's brightness of 40 this one has to be set to 25. Do LED displays dim over time or something?

Anyways, what stuck out to me was that the plastic bezel didn't really fit together perfectly like my other one. I would be more upset if I didn't pay only $130 for it, but nonetheless the issue is there.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
It's pretty much a given that people that could use this tech the most, low to mid-range gamers, won't shell out $400 for a monitor to make up for their lack of performance for their $250 GPUs.

Hopefully in the future the tech would become cheaper, but as it is, the people who are springing for it need it the least.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Calidar posted:

I finally got my hands on a third monitor today, another Asus VS247H-P. Now my experience with the first 2 was perfect, no problems with them at all. However this new one is giving me a bit of bother. The colour of it is off, and I mean way off the picture doesn't really do it justice. The first and second are a nice bluey white, whereas the new one is a much brighter vivid yellow when displaying a white background.

All OSD settings are identical, the first 2 run off HDMI and the third off VGA but swapping these around makes no difference, left and right run off the first gpu, the middle runs off the second so that isn't the cause. The only thing I can think of is that I bought the first 2 from SCAN and the third one from amazon. Although being the same make and model I wouldn't have thought this would make a difference.

I've tried tweaking the OSD settings but can't seem to get it quite right.

e: Never mind the first 2 are VS247H the new one is a VS247H-P apparently my choosing to go for the more expensive version has thwarted me. Any way to fix the colour issues or just tweak OSD settings?

You can buy a calibrator, although I don't know if that's worth it for a TN panel. Anyways, you're never guaranteed exactly the same color profile even on the same model, The best chance would be having the monitors come off the production line right next to eachother (which is likely if you buy two from the same retailer at the same time), otherwise you'll still have to calibrate them to match. Age of the monitor also affects color.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
I've heard that there were issues with the Dell 32 inch "4k" display. What are they exactly and are they deal breakers?

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

GokieKS posted:

The problem with the 32" is that it uses DP MST, which is a hack that brings with it a bunch of issues, like what AnandTech found:

Some of these have supposedly been fixed with firmware updates, but you still have things like being unable to scale to a lower resolution. All in all, I would just consider relying on DP MST to be a deal breaker.

Is this some sort of limitation with DP or does only the 32 inch Dell have this issue? It sounds like a workaround for enabling 4k displays, but in that case, shouldn't all 4k monitors be affected?

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

dhamster posted:

Any tips when it comes to adding a second monitor?

Right now I'm using a 21.5" ASUS VH222H-PR and it works great with my aging Radeon HD 5750, but I'm starting to think that it would be useful for me to have a second monitor for multi-tasking or managing live-streaming software while playing a game. At the same time I'm not sure if I really need a second full size monitor for this purpose (I don't plan to be doing the "play Battlefield on two screens" stuff). Is it a good idea to use two monitors of different size to save space? Would it make a difference if I mounted one vertically?

I've heard a lot about the benefits of adding a second screen, but I don't know much about the details on how to make it work well, or which screens would work well as a secondary monitor.

It's not too hard to do, just hook it up and try. Any monitor can work as a second monitor, depending on your preferences. You can mount it vertically, horizontally, to the left, to the right; it doesn't matter because Windows will allow you to configure it correctly. Two different sizes works if you're not OCD about having things matching or what not.

If you care about color consistency, note that two monitors, even of the same model, will very likely not match perfectly without calibration.

Do you have any specific concerns?

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

El Scotch posted:

Oh, I know thunderbolt can do it, but I don't know of any 4k thunderbolt displays.

Thunderbolt is compatible with DP, as in, it uses the same cable. Therefore, you can plug in any 4k display that has DP, which is all of them.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Syle187 posted:

I current have 2 Dell u2312hm for my desktop, and I love them, no complaints at all. However, I need something I can plug a PS4 into as well. I don't have the space or use for an actual TV at the moment. So, I'm looking for a nice larger-ish monitor that I can use in addition to these two. I was thinking 1440p at least, but I'm not sure how well that would scale and look for a PS4's input. Multiple input types and a decent set of speakers would be a high priority as well. Also, something I can adjust the height on would be nice. I only have a 2 GB GTX 770 in the computer currently, so no real need for anything over 60 Hz.

Any deals I should be looking out for come black friday? Also, would it be worth it to wait for one of the supposedly more affordable 4k monitors so scaling 1440p to 1080p wouldn't be an issue? I would like to spend no more than around $400, but that can be flexible as I know what I'm looking for is going to be on the more expensive side.

Just get a tiny TV to hook your PS4 into. All speakers in TVs or monitors suck, use a headset. 2560x1440 will look like poo poo for PS4, use 1080p or 4K.

As an alternative, hook the ps4 into one of your 2312HMs. That's what I do. Use an HDMI to DVI cable.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Syle187 posted:

That's what I'm doing currently. I guess I can just buy a headset. Right now I have speakers plugged into the controller and I have to change cables every time I want to use the console. I was just hoping for a more elegant solution. That would definitely be a more affordable option though, maybe I'll do that. Thanks!

Why would you have to change cables to use the PS4? Does your computer not output displayport?

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Terbulus posted:

Looking for a 23" monitor to dual screen next to my U2311H
now that ive bought a wii u and it unfortunately has no hdmi port

HDMI to DVI cable.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

HalloKitty posted:

I don't know, really, my Dell 2005FPW that I still use every day as my secondary monitor was purchased in 2007, and still works perfectly. Still looks good enough to be a main monitor, honestly (although for me, that's a U2410). I would say how long it's been on for, but checking the service menu yields 65535 hours.. so, I don't think it's going to be counting that any longer.

Maybe it's an outlier? I don't know. But I sure expect a quality monitor to last as long as I could possibly need it.

I think the idea is that sure, it would work, but by then, tech is so far advanced that you wouldn't want to use it anymore. Just like a processor. Processors last for 20 years easy but they become obsolete much faster than that. Monitors too become obsolete.

For example, your 2005 and 2410 are both CFL backlit. Not only do these bulbs get dimmer as they age, but the color profile changes as well. You would have to calibrate these every year (or few months if you're a graphic designer) in order to maintain color accuracy.

LEDs, which backlight modern LCD screens combat this a little. However, most consumer monitors are backlit by white LEDs. These are LEDs that are blue with a yellow phosphor. Over time, the yellow phosphor will wear out, meaning the color temperature of the display will generally cool over time.

Lastly, the latest LCD backlighting technology is RGB LEDs, which mean that there are red, green, and blue LEDs behind the panel. These are generally reserved for professional panels and aren't often sold in the consumer space. These provide the highest color accuracy, but they face the same problem as OLEDs these days. Blue LEDs dim faster than red and green LEDs, meaning the color temperature will warm over time.

Nothing lasts forever.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Berious posted:

I have multi monitors, I can never quite get them to match color wise and it drives me somewhat insane.

1. Am I a big retard for considering a hardware color calibrator? If not can you recommend a decent enough one for the job that will last?
2. Can you do this with a smartphone or similar? I don't care so much about accuracy just getting the monitors to match

Are your monitors of a similar era and quality? If one monitor is just flat out better than the other one then it's going to be hard to get a match.

Hardware color calibrators are extremely cheap, everybody should own one. Get a used ColorMunki or Spyder 2,3,4, or 5 and use Argyll CMS and DisplayCAL software. The manufacturer's software is crap.

These will match them if it's physically possible.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Berious posted:

Thanks for the info!

They the same model, one bought a year after the other. Although the older one has seen plenty of use. I hope it's possible.

Oh, very interesting. If it's the same model, it should be possible. Typically, even with the same model monitor, unless they came off the production line right next to eachother, at default settings, a match is unlikely unless they come factory calibrated.

Does the monitor come with a preset color mode like sRGB or AdobeRGB? Setting them both to that might work.

Although it could be mismatched because the old one might just be dimmer than the other, as a result of age. If it appears that way, try using more brightness on the old one.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.
Would it be stupid to buy a 144Hz FreeSync monitor when you have an Nvidia graphics card? I play games where I can probably peg the FPS at 144fps pretty much all of the time.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

FBS posted:

Now can somebody direct me to a how-to on getting these two screens calibrated to be in the same general ball park for color and white balance?

Buy a colorimeter and use software DisplayCAL.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Deviant posted:

Ok, yeah, those are the settings that started this whole conversation. But I will try it, and the above mentioned brighter ceiling fan lights. 4x40w LED equivalent @ 2700k, for a total of 1400 lumens.

Ugh. The light, it burns.

Just think about this a little. You don't have to follow the settings exactly, since those settings are more for people who need 100% color accuracy, which means having the brightness as a set standard. If you don't need 100% color accuracy and just want the monitor to be dimmer, just lower the brightness, man. A professional would be using the monitor in a room that is well lit with 6500k light.

As an aside, my bedroom is 6400 lumens of 6500k lighting. I can't look "up" without hurting my eyes, but by the gods, the colors are accurate.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Deuce posted:

What the hell is quantum dot and why should I care

Think of it as cheaper baclighting alternative to RGB LED backlit LCD screens. It's still just a backlight tech. Mainstream monitors are backlit by white LEDs. Professional grade LCD monitors are RGB backlit. Quantum dot is supposed to bring this into the mainstream eventually.

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Omnicarus posted:

It does, but it is a TN panel. I think a good argument could be made at 1080P that IPS and a really good card is better than Gsync TN.

There aren't any high refresh 1080p panels that are IPS. They're all TN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolcano Eruption
Oct 29, 2007
Volcano of LOL.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Are there any good budget monitors right now? Mostly going to be for gaming and the GPU in the computer I just got is pretty old(GTX 770 and then to a GTX 1070 in the near future).

Hoping to keep to $200, but I'll go higher if that's not feasible.

Set up a nowinstock alert on Amazon for the AOC 24G2 or the Asus VP249QGR. They are $180 and $160 respectively. The AOC has a better stand and warranty for the extra $20.