Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ample
Dec 26, 2007
Well it's been 6 years since my last upgrade and I feel out of the loop. Can someone help recommend a monitor? Here is what I'm specifically looking for:

Budget: $300.00~
Use: mostly gaming / minor coding / general use
144 hertz
Size: 23 - 24 inch
1080p - (I'm purchasing a gtx 1070)
panel: I'm assuming that with my budget I'm reserved to a TN. Are there certain brands that have better color accuracy than others?

Any help or direction is hugely appreciated. I could probably squeeze another $100.00 if there is a huge performance upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ample
Dec 26, 2007

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Well, the budget does limit you but no one makes a 1080p IPS Gsync screen anyway so you'd be limited to TN regardless. The only TN screen with Gsync that I know of that has been lauded for having very good color for a TN is the Dell one, but that is 1440p and $500. Also even the cheapo 1080p TN Gsync screens are like $380 new, your best bet is probably a refurbished Acer XB241H for $350. I will note that the 1070 is a fine card for 1440p if you want to move up, the extra screen space is really nice.

Thanks for the reply! Are you referring to the the Dell Gaming S2716DG 27.0"? I unfortunately do not have the desk real estate for 27 inches. The acer monitor spec wise seems to be more to my specifications but its too loud and gamer like for where I was planning to have it. A friend suggested the BenQ XL2411Z . Does anyone have any experience with that? I plan to use this monitor for hopefully 4 years minimum.

Again just for reference here is what I am looking to work with:
Budget: $300.00~$400.00
Use: mostly gaming / minor coding / general use
144 hertz
Size: 23 - 24 inch
1080p - higher? (I'm purchasing a gtx 1070)

Edit: I guess the downside to this monitor is that it does not have Gsync? Is that feature really worth another $150.00 minimum?

Ample fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Sep 6, 2016

Ample
Dec 26, 2007
Can someone talk me out of buying the dell s2417dg 24 inch for $400.00? It seems like such a good deal but I keep telling myself to wait for Black Friday. 165hz, fantastic tn color accuracy, pixel density and so on. If I'm interested in buying a "gaming" monitor is there anything that comes close at this price level?

Ample
Dec 26, 2007
Does any kind goon know if there are any monitors out or forecasted to come out with the following specs:

24 inches
IPS panel
144hz - 240hz
1440 - I know this is ‘dumb’ and maybe even considered a gimmick!

I’m basically looking for a updated ‘gaming’ monitor to play CSGO / Valorant along with all those other trendy games like LOL, SFV and Minecraft. I’m also planning to use it for work and general web browsing. My budget is around $600.00.

I know that the 27GL850 / 27GL83 are popular recommendations but I’m concerned that 27 inches will be too big for FPS games and that the contrast ratio leaves blacks too grey. I was also looking at Asus VG259QM
which is 24 inch IPS and at 280hz but not 1440. I realize that 1440 is more or less dumb given the size and pixel density but it’s sort of a wish list of features! Any other goons run into a similar pickle or am I alone in my oddly specific monitor demands?

Ample fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 14, 2020