Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

fong posted:

A question about HDTV as a primary display: OP says as a general rule not to do it because HDTVs are designed for media viewing not web browsing etc, but I was wondering if someone could give me some advice specific to my context:

I'm planning to buy a PC that serves primarily as a gaming and media hub, as we watch all of our TV and movies through a computer and I don't currently have a gaming capable PC/generally prefer gaming on a TV to sitting at a desk. I already do 95% of other poo poo on a tablet. Am I crazy for planning to buy a PC to go in the lounge, plugged into the TV, and using remote desktop via the tablet (along with bluetooth mouse/keyboard) for that 5% of other computing that I'd want to do through an actual PC?

I've being using a 40' cheap Samsung as my only monitor for the last couple of years and usage sounds exactly like yours. It may depend on the TV but black won't quite black and you'll need to turn on v sync for everything other than that I think it great. Gaming on a 40' screen turns you into a size fiend though :clint: I tried to use a smaller actual computer monitor a few months ago and ended up sending it back after a couple of days because I couldn't deal with the smaller size.

Also if you want to use a controller for gaming I got a steam controller a week ago and it works great for those game that don't support a xbox controller.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

lol don't worry about it. I'm sure most people on here would rip there hair out if they tried to use a tv, I've been browsing this tread for around a year now and I can spot all the flaws in my set up but I prefer sitting on the couch as I sit at a desk all day for work I won't do it at home. I do fancy one of those ASUS ultra-wide monitors but I can hold off another year to see if they release even bigger versions.