Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Movax that is a fantastic OP

Have you still got any FW900s? Am I crazy for trying to track some down? I'm still dual CRT'ing a Hitachi CM823F & a NEC FP2141, with a spare 2141 for when either of them dies :sperg:

Having never used a FW900 myself, what did you upgrade to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Does anyone here have any experience with the Sony FW900? What LCD did you upgrade to for gaming & black blacks?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Can the 2412 turn off individual backlight LEDs as needed for a better picture?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

oldskool posted:

Moving from 1024x768 CRT..

lol user/post combo

and I though I was bad still using a 1600x1200 CRT

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

It's TN. The way to tell is the viewing angles. If it's not 178 degrees vertically and horizontally, it's TN.

178 degrees viewing angle is marketing rubbish. Think about it- its 2 degrees off 180, which is literally the point at which the bezel stops obstructing the LCD. At that point you can "view" the LCD but you wont be able to see anything on it

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Ausgoons- the U2412M is 30% off (was $399 now $279 delivered) until Friday Friday gotta buy a monitor by Friday

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
2412M
pros: great viewing angles, sharp text, excellent colour
cons: gaming, gaming, gaming

Overall I'm going to buck the trend and say I'm disappointed with it- games where you pan left to right such as TF2 or KOTOR quite simply have what appears to be a low frame rate. I'm using a GTX580 & have transitioned from a 1600x1200 CRT @ 85Hz. The difference in game smoothness is night/day. Tempted to use this instead for work/programming in vertical mode, and lugging the 22" CRT back for gaming :(

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

1) That still makes your advice non-applicable for 99% of the thread.
Well OK, but I still thought the constructive criticism was relevant. Ill go back to F5'ing ebay for FW900s :corsair:

Ill still recommend to work that they upgrade & pay the difference between the Samsung 2443bw & get the 2412M instead. We usually buy a dozen every 3 months or so. For 2D windows & movies this thing is untouchable.

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Kazvall posted:

STOP PLAYING THESE NEW FANGLED GAMES. I WANT TO SEE LEISURE SUIT LARRY 2, NOW!

Ill say. 320x200 scales perfectly to 2560x1600, so crank up some DOOM or Day of the Tentacle

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I remember downgrading to a FX5200 from a ATI 9700 to force me to study & stop playing games, however everything about it was terrible. Video playback was choppy, and dual monitor support was unstable. The quality on the 2nd monitor was so bad I stopped using it

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
And if you're in Australia, its 30% off for the next 2 days. Gogogo

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

HalloKitty posted:

I find it a bit ironic seeing as ATI spearheaded tesselation hardware on GPUs with TRUFORM, a long forgotten and little-used feature

:aaa: - when I first tried Truform in Morrowind with a GF2 GTS

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Vatek posted:

Welp, my VG236HE just developed a single dead black pixel with about 40 dead white ones all around it. Is there a better 120hz panel out there now or should I just buy another one? :smith:

Keep using your boob monitor

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Has anyone managed to purchase a LG 34gk950g? How is the blb/glow etc?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Beautiful Ninja posted:

I have the F version, but it does use the same screen so it should be similar. For BLB, it's pretty minimal in the corners, not something I really notice. The IPS glow is a bit more noticeable for me on my panel, the lower left corner of my monitor is a bit lighter than everything else, but I only notice this on pure black backgrounds. When actually using the PC I don't notice either the BLB or glow at all.
Thanks, I'm pretty much sold. It would be a massive improvement over my Catleap Q270 (which has been great). Just need to wait for Australian stores to start stocking it

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

NoDamage posted:

Holy poo poo. Looks like LG just updated their website a few minutes ago with the official sale price.

Those reviews aren't what I was expecting. One panel has massive IPS glow, and another guy has 2 monitors with vertical dead strips. Probably damage from shipping though?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
It was MSI motherboards that had those stupid gun or bullet shaped heatsinks from memory

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Rusty posted:

I had to update my 1080ti firmware to support DP 1.4 .

I thought all GTX1080s had DP 1.4 support?

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
I just want black blacks in my thriller/horror games like the crt days :negative:

my 10th system shock run is ruined :arghfist:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Just pulled the trigger on the AW3418DW. Is there anything to be aware of with gsync and multiple monitors? It will be paired with a 90Hz DVI vertical monitor.