Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Dell Refurbished 27 inch Gaming Monitor - S2716DGR is this a solid deal for $439? My tv I've been using as a monitor has been giving out and I wanted to upgrade to 1440p 144hz with gsync. Seems like one of the better deals I've come across. Or would it be better just to wait a week or two?

Edit: nevermind I realized it is a TN panel

Parallelwoody fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

A TN panel killed my family.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

So is that Alienware 34 Monitor - AW3418DW a really solid gaming monitor? I'm coming from an ancient rear end 47' vizio tv that I've been using as a monitor and while I'm willing to drop the cash for a high end display I'd like it to last for the next 4-5 years. I'm pretty ignorant on the differences between how a 1440p display would look on a 27' screen vs that size or if that makes much of a difference at all. I plan to stick with nvidia and people seem to be big fans of gsync.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Ok thanks for the replies. $950 for it seems like a good deal so I'll probably pull the trigger on it. Is there anything I need to know or look out for besides back light bleed? Obviously it's going to take a pretty beefy card to run too so how much will my 970 struggle on it until I can upgrade?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I got my dell alienware monitor in today. Set it up for a test run before work and when I loaded up the witcher the left half of the screen kept flickering. Did it even with the display cables disconnected. I called dell to set up a return, but when I got home and turned it on the issue wasn't there. Any idea what that's about?

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I can say about the dell alienware that other than the issue I mentioned before it's a great monitor, and when I called about the issue I was having they threw in a $50 discount and are shipping me an expedited replacement. If you have a problem don't go through the online chat, that csr was pretty useless.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Yeah after getting a replacement for mine I'm really happy with it too. Only the most minor of complaints is that there's a little darkening along the top edge of the screen but you have to be looking for it.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I used the link the goon earlier posted for the dell (premier? Preferred? Something like that) price and it was showing $950 for me. That plus the ebates link another goon mentioned gave me 10% cash back, $50 dell bux for the purchase, and $50 knocked off because I had to return the first monitor and they were sorry for the inconvenience makes me feel pretty drat good about this big bastard. Especially when I'm coming from a 1080p Vizio that is around 9 years old.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Vakal, I think I know what you're describing because I have something similar happen whenever I'm playing the witcher 3. The only thing I can add is that I've had it happen across 2 different monitors (one an old tv, the other a new dell) so if it is the same thing, it's probably not a panel issue.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

What I experience is a lot more subtle and happens when moving through other objects like foliage, but is best described like a screen door effect. Now that you mention it though I think it happened in msg5 too so that alpha layer is likely to blame.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

The first dell alienware panel I got was busted too. They cross shipped me a replacement and it runs great.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Wondering if someone can help me out here. I have the AW3418DW and for several months, no screen tearing. I have g-sync enabled and all that, but now I'm starting to notice it in different games. I have a 970 and some of these games are older with the settings dropped. Anyone have an idea about how to determine the problem? The googling I've done said to change a few settings in the nvidia control panel, which didn't help.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I used ebates from the advice of a goon earlier in the thread. I think it gives you 5% back plus a sign up bonus. There's a referral bonus too if you want to hook someone else up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

When I first got my 3418DW I had the issue where turning it off and turning it back on put all the windows in the top left hand corner.

I think I had some initial issues that were similar but haven't had anything like that happen for over a year now since owning it. One thing I have been noticing are two weird issues that make me think I should send it back while it's still in the warranty window - One is that occasionally a browser window will flicker while watching something, in a similar fashion to how separately the lower third of the screen will flicker occasionally. I notice it the most when playing Stardew Valley but I'm sure there's been other times it's occurred as well. The first one of these I received I had to send back to Dell due to the left half of the panel flickering pretty constantly as soon as I turned up the refresh rate. Should have been a more painless process but they did give me a $50 credit for the hassle.

And to be clear I do love this monitor, looks great and has lots of connections for my random bullshit.