Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
I'm looking to buy a new monitor solely for gaming. And by gaming I mean the cs 1.6 hardcore kind of guy mentioned in the OP. My sole concerns are low lag (so obviously a 120hz), and low cost. If possible I'd like to avoid paying for any extra 3D ability/multi monitor setup/built in speakers/whatever else. I'm quite happy with the size of my current 20 inch LCD and if keeping the screen size small is a good way to keep the price down then I'm absolutely fine with that. The only problem I've had so far is that all the 120hz models seem to be larger ones.

Ideally my price point is around £150, but if a reliable and super low lag screen is going to cost £200 then I could probably just about stretch to it. Any suggestions hugely appreciated!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008

movax posted:

120Hz and 3D seem to go hand in hand, so you'll generally get stuck with 3D capability and 120Hz together. One of the best right now is the Asus VG236H mentioned in the OP list; Anandtech really loved it, and I've enjoyed using one in person. It's $450USD which I think is around 220GBP or so, so it's at the top end of your budget.

Samsung also makes a 22" model, the 2233RZ which is a good deal cheaper with a 1680x1050 resolution. I believe Viewsonic also makes one, and Alienware rebranded someone's 23" panel I think.

The comedy option of course is a CRT. :downs:

Ok, thanks. The asus looks pretty nice. Any opinions on this one? - http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-W2363D-PF-inch-Wide-Monitor/dp/B003MB61ZM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1315363970&sr=8-2

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
I'm hoping to buy this monitor here because it's the cheapest place I can find:

http://www.ebuyer.com/240824-lg-w2363d-pf-lcd-tft-23-3d-ready-hdmi-monitor-w2363d-pf

But for some reason it's listed as having 5ms response time, despite the same model being listed here at amazon as 3ms http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-W2363D-PF-23-Monitor/dp/B004DD9AZ6 It also seems to be listed in reviews as being 3ms. How likely is it that ebuyer has just made a typo? Or am I going to end up with a lovely version of the monitor if I order from there? :(

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008

movax posted:

Response time has been beaten into the ground as an essentially useless metric at this point. More useful is googling for reviewers' impressions of input lag, if any.

Well the reviewers seem to be reviewing a version that has 3ms lag instead of 5ms. I'm really just wondering what the chances are of these being the same monitors..

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008
Ok so I've just had this monitor delivered!! http://www.ebuyer.com/240824-lg-w2363d-pf-lcd-tft-23-3d-ready-hdmi-monitor-w2363d-pf

The instructions for the monitor are asking me to uninstall my graphics card drivers before booting up some geforce drivers (I have an ATI card but I'm guessing that's still compatible) on a cd-rom provided. However most of this seems to be in aid of calibrating for the 3D features. I'm not at all interested in the 3D capabilities of the monitor (I don't even have the glasses needed) and bought it solely for the 120hz.

Should I be fine just plugging the monitor in without uninstalling my graphics drivers? I definately didn't have to do anything like this for my last monitor..

Thanks for any help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008

DrDork posted:

If you don't care, neither should your graphics driver. Just plug it in, verify that you can select 120Hz for the refresh rate, and enjoy.

Ok, thanks for the help.