Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
Goons, I need your expertise.

I was looking at picking up a 27" IPS panel in about a month once I get back to the states from the Middle East.

I've been comparing and stuff and the Dell U2711 looks great, but I was also wondering, can you use an Apple 27" Cinema Display with a Windows based PC? I tried some googling but I could only find references to bootcamp (where it obviously would work). I much prefer the glossy coating of Mac screens over the anti-glare coating on most monitors, and I can get it for about 900$ with a military discount through the Apple store.

I already have an early 2009 Macbook that is currently my primary computer and I know I can use it with this since I have the built in Mini DisplayPort adapter. The computer I'll be building will be using a single Radeon 6950, which also has 2 Mini DP's on it, so theoretically it should work just fine if I use those (or are they only intended for Eyefinity use?) I know the cinema display only has DP and no DVI, so I'm well aware of what I'd be getting into.

Thanks in advance!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

movax posted:

I need to update the OP with a confirmed accurate answer, but I believe the answer is yes, as long as you can feed it DisplayPort. Also, one of the iMac guys can correct me if I'm wrong, but the price difference between the 27" ACD and 27" iMac almost makes the iMac a better bang for your buck (and you can still use the screen as an independent display!)

That being said, if you look in 2nd post of the OP, you'll see that the ACD lacks a height adjustable stand as well, while the U2711 gets the usual Dell UltraSharp goodies (premium guarantee, adjust-o-stand, hub, etc)

I'll mostly likely go with the U2711 since I'm a little weary of the lack of heigh adjustment on the ACD, and I'll just have to suck it up and deal with the Anti-Glare. I'm pretty dead set on 27" since I'm looking for a resolution higher than 1920x1080 and don't wish to spend 300-400$ more on the U3011. I'm not really in need of the iMac as I already have the Macbook, and I spent too much money on Steam games during the holiday sale and really want to start playing some of them (which limits me mostly to Windows, which is why I was asking if the ACD would work with the 6950 seeing it has Mini-DP already on the card).

Also, I can get the ACD for about 900$ with an employee discount through the military, however dell does not offer discounts on monitors through their partnership with the military (though they have some awesome discounts on laptops), which was another factor.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

Fuzz1111 posted:

This is why I got mine (ASUS VG236H and QuakeLive being the screen and main game in question) I didn't even care about 3D, infact I couldn't use the 3D kit which came with it until recently, because I was still using Windows XP.

Welp, I think you've just sold me off of grabbing the VG236H. I was really looking foward to trying it out, but honestly it sounds like the tech isn't mature enough yet to really benefit from it. I mostly will be playing WoW, BFBC2, and SWTOR when it comes out.

Would the U2711 be terrible for gaming? I've wanted a large ( > 24") screen but the only thing holding me off from going for either the Apple Cinema Display or U2711 was the response times / input lag.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

DrDork posted:

The U2711 has pretty minimal input lag at something in the ~15-17ms range (about one frame)....

The ACD is the opposite: with no AG coating whatsoever, its colors "pop" a bit more and it doesn't have any "sparkle" to worry about, but you need to be careful of where you place it, because it can and will reflect/glare off of everything.

No, I won't be doing any competitive FPSing, mostly Planetside Next and Battlefield type stuff, so input lag shouldn't be huge at all.

I much prefer glossy, but where I'm moving into in a couple days is a room with lots of windows, and since I'm military they aren't fond of you putting poo poo over the windows to block off light, so I'm going to stick with the U2711. I like the 27" ACD, and could use it with my MacBook, but the lack of height adjustment and being stuck to just Display Port (And AMD cards, without buying an adapter) kind of kills it for me for PC use.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
How often does Dell do discounts?

The U2711 is at 1100$ right now on Dell's website (And the same with their Employee purchase program, sadly). I see several resellers selling it on amazon at just over 950$. Purchasing straight from Dell is the recommended way to do it, right?

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
In light of the discounts on the ultrasharps, I just pulled the trigger on a U2711. :suicide:

Almost didn't do it because 850ish is a lot of money but I saw one in person and drat was it nice. They estimate delivery on the 27th of March, but I haven't finished building my computer yet because of the Sandy Bridge motherboard issue, so that'll give me time to get one of the new motherboards over the next few weeks to finish the computer off. For now it'll work nicely with my laptop.

Red87 fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 12, 2011

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

fyallm posted:

Bah! I just hope it arrives the exact time as all of my PC components.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a computer sitting without a monitor for a bit. My dumbass decided to buy all my poo poo in one day and the U2711 I snagged locked out my bank account by hitting my limit after my Newegg purchase went through, and Dell cancelled it. That was Saturday, so had to call the bank during business hours today to get my spending limit raised and just now got my order for the U2711 placed today. I just hope the drat thing fits on my desk. I haven't been this excited for a purchase in a long time.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

DrDork posted:

If it makes you feel better, I'm going to end up with a computer sitting here sans case for about a week. And that's after waiting for a month for the Sandy Bridge motherboards to get back in stock, and after missing the $50 sale on the case by 2 hours. :(

I'm also going to be sans case as well - I grabbed that through Amazon since I have prime and it was 20$ cheaper than Newegg was charging - and that just got ordered today because of the aforementioned issue.

I'm praying that I have no dead/stuck pixel issues like seems to be the case with some people.

edit: gently caress top.

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.
Postin' from the U2711. My god is it beautiful. Not quite up to the standard of the Apple Cinema Display but the height adjustment and multitude of inputs edged it out, even though I preferred the gloss. My single GTX 560 is struggling a bit at 2560x1440, so I was considering throwing a second in. It'd still be cheaper than a single 580 would have been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red87
Jun 3, 2008

The UNE will prevail.

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm not sure what happened with the recent U2311H sale but I'm having the same problem, estimated ship date is 4/4/2011 and it'll be going on over a month at that point. They used to be so much better at this stuff, I got my U2410 in 3 days.

They must be way backed up or something. I got my U2711 in just 3 days. I was honestly surprised when I got a phone call from the front desk saying I had a dell box waiting for me.