Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
My new year's resolution was to grab an SP2309W and they don't exist any more

:cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
There's a coupon code out there (6GG84LHNZK8LW7) to take 30% off a Dell ST2220M which is 21.5" and 1920x1080 LED backlit TN panel.

Final price I think came out to like $132 plus shipping. Pretty awesome deal, although I haven't read any reviews of the monitor's performance, I'd guess it's in line with most TN panels.

Doesn't come with a DVI cable (??) when it's shipped though.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Factory Factory posted:

Good lord, 6-bit, 8-bit, 10-bit, why the gently caress did this happen when 98% of people use 8-bit color and the rest are either blind, old ladies, or pros using 10-bit?

The same reason anything happens in any business: it's cheaper to manufacture and can be sold for the same price. Think I'm not going to bother with the 2311h any more unless someone can comment on gamut and color fidelity with 6-bit + dithering. You buy an IPS for color fidelity, what's the point if it's lovely quality?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DrDork posted:

third party praise of U2311h

Thank you! I was just hoping someone would authoritatively post about its quality, I'm kind of in a budget bind but I might pull the trigger.

It would be easier to do this if Dell's ordering system wasn't such a clusterfuck of poor web design.

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 4, 2011

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Just as a note, buying from Dell will take longer than your typical Newegg or Amazon order. I talked with Dell last Friday morning and my U2311h still hasn't shipped. I guess they do such a large volume they don't just have stuff in stock, it gets rolled into their normal production orders.

THE ANTICIPATION :argh:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
For an additional $80 it's probably not worth it.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

DrDork posted:

Standard shipping? A week +/- a day or so. Ignore any/all shipping notifications (or lack thereof); they're wrong.

I ordered mine (the 2311h rather'n the 2410) ten days ago and it hasn't shipped yet, so... things are screwy up on their end. I'm actually on the phone with their customer service people right now.

That said this is the only time I think I've ever had a problem with Dell service, I bought a laptop back in the day, had their tech support out twice on it and got a new one to replace it and all was done expediently.

I just wish I could finish mucking about with my home office :smith:

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Mar 14, 2011

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

fyallm posted:

Wow, holy poo poo, dell has already shipped my monitor and gave me my fedex tracking number. And according to Fedex it should be here tomorrow, it might actually beat all of my PC components.

I swear to god I will walk to loving Round Rock and give them the sternest talking to!!! :argh:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

TheEye posted:

Ended up going with the U2311H with the 25% off coupon. I ordered it yesterday and it shipped today, not sure how they managed that. Should have it by the weekend, probably a week before I'll have the PC put together, heh.

So I'm glad this works for everyone except me, but today I cancelled my 2311h order (it still hadn't shipped), and Dell's customer service was kind enough to sell me a 2211H that was in stock at 25% off with free next business day shipping, it's set to be here Friday.

Pays to demand good service I guess, but I'm still not pleased that I wasted my time. I like the additional pixel density though! I'll post my impressions because I haven't seen the 21.5" version mentioned in the thread.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Balls to all of you for stealing my shipping karma! :P

I got a pretty sweet deal out of bitching so I can't really complain, other than you know. Not having a monitor for my desktop and to rock out my sweet new Lightroom software for the last week.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Posting from my new 2211h now. It's pretty great. Colors are very rich and viewing angle is limited primarily by the glare coming in the window of my office :)

Gonna play around with color configurations to see which works best for me.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

The Gunslinger posted:

I'm not sure what happened with the recent U2311H sale but I'm having the same problem, estimated ship date is 4/4/2011 and it'll be going on over a month at that point. They used to be so much better at this stuff, I got my U2410 in 3 days.

Yeah I had no actual delivery date 11 days after I ordered mine so I bitched them the hell out on the phone. I think it's the 23" monitor that does it, maybe they shipped a big contract and their suppliers got backed up or something.

Because the 22" shipped next day and was delivered the day after that. Totally wacky.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Um... so here's a wacky question, and I ask after kind of wishy washying back and forth on this for a long time because I'd really rather not go through any more hassle with this bullshit.

I've been struggling a bit with backlight bleed and viewing angles on my new U2211h. I don't have much for reference for an IPS panel, but I thought they were supposed to have superb viewing angles and not change much as you moved your head around?

I took this in a dimly lit room, first image is from in front, about 24 inches back and directly in the middle basically:

Looks OK, I'm playing some Divinity II, bein goony... but then when I stand up to go get a beer or something:

oh what the gently caress! :aaaaa:

Is this normal? I didn't get pictures of my BWX2343 for comparison but it just seems more normal and less... blue / backlighty even. Is it a black-level question? I know so little about displays.

Any input would be awesome :(

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Quanta posted:

There's a chance the amount of glow is variable monitor to monitor. There is noticeable IPS glow on my NEC PA231W at angles (which uses an e-IPS panel as well) but it's never as extreme as that even in a dimly lit room. To be honest, the IPS glow on my screen is really only detectable when it's displaying dark colours.

The fact there's so much glow on your screen even when it's displaying a relatively bright game might suggest that monitor suffers from LG's panel lottery. I know U2311H owners on other forums have returned their monitors because the orange and blue IPS glow was too extreme.

It just looks bad, is all. It's also worse on the right side, and the problem only manifests from the top. Colors wash out/get dim due to the light even as I move my head at my desk. I might just RMA it because I went through entirely too much bullshit to deal with a monitor that I'm not 100% satisfied with.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
RMA came for my U2211h, same drat problem.

ballsack! Tired of this nonsense!

Although I hosed around with some custom settings on this one and got a slightly better result. OK, fine, it was a hell of a deal, gonna quit my yap now :(

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 5, 2011

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

unpronounceable posted:

If my rough calculations are reasonable around 7.5-8"

sqrt(23^2 - 21.66^2) = 7.74"

Yup, and I'd take the most of that .66 off for the bezel so you'll have about 10" of screen.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Nubcakes posted:

Since no one ever answered my question, I'll ask again;

Which LCD should I look into if I frequently use Full-Screen and Wide-Screen resolutions as low as 320X240 to as high as 1920X1200?

Many of the applications/games I use/play do not allow you to change the resolution or have a low cap on the resolution(800X600).

You should look into the physically smallest possible monitor so those 320 pixels aren't each 1.5cm across.

Alternatively, play windowed.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Is there a 1440p 24 or 25 inch monitor that is well regarded? Seems like the entire segment of 1440p is sorta condensing into 27 or 32 in panels. I am dealing with a relatively cramped space and a 27 inch panel is just too big :(

I’d prefer the extra pixel real estate for multitasking and games, I’ve just kinda ended up in a place where 27 is too big and 23 feels kinda small / dated. two smaller screens stacked up or something doesn’t really work either.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

AOC did recently announce the Q24G2A, which is a 24" 1440p monitor at 165hz, but it doesn't seem available in North America yet. Newegg doesn't have a single 24" or 25" monitor at 1440p with a refresh rate of 144hz or higher, it seems. This is a non-existent market, and I'm half expecting that AOC monitor to never make it to NA.

TY for the thoughts, yeah my workspace is the till at the shop I'm purchasing so considering how much debt I'm going into to acquire it, the setup at least is going to be a forever thing lol. I am trying like hell to squeeze a 27" panel in simply for the sake of wide/cheap selection but... I have 36 inches of linear width to accomodate my standing desk/till setup, that is probably closer to 34" if I want it to be comfortable. even a super-minimal bezel on a 27" panel eats 24 of them and I can't see poo poo!

E: can’t see poo poo around the sides / to the front of the store. I am used to funky scaling my laptop is a xps13 at native 1920x1200

Gunshow Poophole fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 17, 2023

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rexxed posted:

I believe they are buying the store, not buying for the store owned by someone else.

Correct, I am the owner and sole employee, so in the 75% of the time I'm there during which I'm not selling jug vodka to assholes, I will be gaming and posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Branch Nvidian posted:

Ah, okay. My reading comprehension must be going to poo poo. Anyway, Best Buy as a refurbished S2417DG for $271 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sku/6378713.p?skuId=6378713, which is pretty much the best option I can find in your needed specs unless that AOC monitor mentioned up thread does become available in NA.

You're fine, I just crammed too many multiple thoughts into my first description of the situation. Thank you for the suggestion!

Saukkis posted:

I can think of two possible alternatives for a smaller monitor

Yeah I'm kinda mocking this up as I think things through, the counter here is a fat boomerang shape with a flat front

code:
          ___
       /       \
Each section is 3 feet wide, 25" deep. The monitor/till is on the middle section where I'm adding a standing desk. I can serve out both of the sides, this helps people with a place to put their bottles and I can be working on two transactions in quick succession.

I have a couple accessories (card reader, receipt printer, scanner holster etc) that I'd like to keep at hand on the right side of the desk, so I think having a large monitor left-justified will work, slight angle maybe towards me so I don't have to turn my head a ton. I'll grab a hunk of 25x15 cardboard to see what it does to visibility.

sorry to turn thread into ergonomics chat, but I appreciate y'alls input very much!!