Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

I want a new monitor and I have been looking at the Asus 24" LED VG248QE. I don't want to spend too much money and this monitor seems like a good buy. Am I making a terrible mistake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

I am looking at getting a 27" this summer, been looking at the XB271HU a whole lot. The foot and PREDATOR logo is really off putting though. I understand that the Dell S2716DG has a TN panel but the overall design is so much better. Are TN panels that bad?

At the moment I have a asus VG248QE and I will probably try putting them in a dual monitor stand.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

I have come to accept the predator logo and was planning buy the XB271HU in June. Perhaps in six months from now I would splurge on another and get them in a dual monitor stand.

Now i discover the X34A... Do I drop the 2 x XB271HU and go for this instead? Any thoughts?

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

So I finally got my XB271HU, however, when I turn it to 144hz the screen will flicker without stop. I tried a different DP-cable which I suspect is broken, and anything over 85hz just gives me the "no signal".

The flickering cable is the one the that came with the monitor and the other one is from iiglo. I'm guessing that the cable that came with the monitor is lovely and my other one is broken. But I am also worried that the monitor itself is broken.

Anyone have any experience with this problem?

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, try a new cable first. Video cables are fragile and often break. BTW your cable isn't longer than 3 meters is it? That's the official limit for DP, you can get longer ones but usually they don't do well at high resolutions/refresh rates.

Are you turning it to 144 Hz or 165 Hz? 165 Hz is technically overclocking this monitor and YMMV.

Finally, maybe also try using the OSD to factory reset the monitor. I don't have a specific reason to think that would help but it's always worth a shot if it arrives screwed up, maybe the last owner hosed the settings somehow.

The lovely one is 1.5 meters and the probably broken one is 2 meters. The 2m ran 144hz fine on my previous monitor but the hooks in the end of the cable got stuck when I tried to remove it. This caused the casing around the end to come lose and I suspect this did some damage. It is however outputting 85hz fine.

I tried to putting it to 100, 120 and 144 but they all give no signal. With the other cable, 85hz is fine but anything above it will flicker in and out intensely.

I've ordered a new 2 meter cable hoping it will solve my problem. Thank you for your input!

My video card is a 1070.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Any recommendations on a decent 27" or 24" monitor with DisplayPort? It will be mainly used for basic ms office software, like Excel and Outlook.

I have been looking at the dell ultrasharp U2715H, but it is kind of pricey. The U2414H is within budget, just wanted to check if you guys had any other candidates.

I am hooking up a Microsoft Surface Book to the monitor, which is already kind of insanely expensive, therefore trying to cut down on the monitor cost.

(This is for the company I work at, not private)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

What’s the USB cable good for?