Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

What's a good mid-range 1440p monitor? I'm building a computer with a GTX 970 and an Intel 4590 i5 and I need to upgrade my monitor to go along - I'll be using the computer for gaming and some coding. I'm looking for an IPS, preferably no bigger than 27" 60Hz monitor. $400 is what I'm hoping to spend, but knowing nothing about monitor prices at this level I'm pretty flexible - less is obviously better though . Any suggestions/resources I can check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Yeah it would be too much regular 1440 is pushing my 970 on some recent games like Dying Light.

What kind of settings, if you don't mind me asking?

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Pulled the trigger on the $230 QX2710 - here's to hoping it isn't too messed up!

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

QNIX purchaser #4912312 reporting in: I love it. A few pixels look stuck/dead (might try that video that attempts to loosen them later tonight). Disappointed the speakers are too lovely to think about using (very, VERY tinny sound) but that's to be expected. Seconding that sentiment about ordering a VESA mount when I ordered the monitor - getting that same exact wobbling when I type at my peak speeds - and am trying to pick one out now. Highly recommended if you're willing to gamble on the admittedly QA and want a cheap, hopefully quality 1440p display.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Mazz posted:

And I guess I got lucky, my stand seems no less solid then the rest of the monitors I had/have. i don't really use the pan/tilt stuff though so that probably helps. Did yours have that little screw with the latch thing for the bottom?

I did, but the hole wasn't cut properly aligned, so it doesn't screw it straight.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Mazz posted:

Also, what sketchy programs did you need? I was under the impression most GTXs could do it right out of the NVIDIA control panel (after adding the QNIX drivers in device manager so games recognize the input and accept the refresh rate).

Overclocking the display can cause slight changes in colors (e.g. my screen becomes a lot more halogen-y in color temperature). Try switching between 60Hz and 96Hz via the Nvidia Control Panel and you'll see. Some people use Color Sustainer to select different ICC profiles to readjust the colors back to normal.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I'm looking for some current monitor recommendations. I'm getting a new GTX 970 and need to. upgrade my monitor from the 1680*1050 stone age one I'm using now to something a bit more modern. I've read a lot in this thread about all the new fangled monitor tech and I think I'd like to stick to 1080p rather than try to push the capabilities of the 970 at 1440. I don't know if G-Sync or 144hz is something I care about really as I don't play games competitively and I'm not sure if the 970 could handle it smoothly anyway. I'm pretty adamant about games running at as close to 60 FPS, would the jump from 60hz to 144hz really blow me away if I'm just playing single player games (GTAV, Witcher 3, etc.)? I've never seen it in person so I have absolutely no frame of reference here.

Anyways, I'm mainly looking for excellent picture quality while spending around $250 at the most, 144hz might be nice but without ever having seen it, I don't know. What are the best options available right now? The two I've currently found that look pretty good are the Asus VG248QE and the AOC G2460PQU. Thoughts?

You COULD gamble on a QNIX 2710 for a possibly high quality, 2650x1440, overclockable to 96Hz display. I say gamble because their QC is spotty and there are no guarantees you'll get a pixel perfect monitor but most buyers in this thread came away satisfied. If you do have to return it you might have some hoops to jump through - it ships from Korea. But it's squarely in your price range and probably still the best bang for your buck 1440p monitor despite that risk. I'm totally satisfied with mine.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Phil Tenderpuss posted:

I read about that monitor itt but I've read elsewhere that the GTX 970 starts losing some of its oomph at 1440. If true, I don't know if it'd be right for me. My main goal in upgrading is to be able to run new games that come out for a couple years at as close to ultra settings as possible at a smooth 60 or above FPS. I think I'd rather sacrifice the extra resolution to achieve that. Then, maybe in a few years when 4K gets cheaper, make the jump to that with another new monitor and GPU.

Depending on what games you're trying to play and how hard you're trying push settings toward the max. I play Counterstrike for the most part, but I've played Far Cry 3 and Warframe a decent amount on it as well and they ran smoothly on high. If you absolutely must have Ultra settings on as many games you can in the future, obviously a 1080 display will stretch your 970 farther but I haven't had a noticeable slowdown on a game due rendering at 1440...yet.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

xenilk posted:

Question to anyone who bought "TOPSYNC 2710 LED 27" QHD 2560x1440" from ebay ... is there a way to enable the buttons at the bottom of the screen? I find that other than the power button...the other buttons don't do anything.

My brightness buttons do work, but in very, very, very small increments. My built in speaker is total garbage though, and never even bothered testing out the VOLUME buttonos.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

So, uh, what's wrong with the QNIX? Because one or two of those seem like a no-brainer kind of way to go, if they're good. But that eBay site appears to have been written by a Nigerian prince.

Ideally, I'm looking for a good price:performance ratio, and I don't mind putting in some work to overclock (and five minutes ago, I didn't even know monitor overclocking was a thing), so that seems like my best bet.

The Acer seems like it'd be about 3 times as much for what would likely be a 10-20% improvement, if I'm reading the specs right? And I don't think I'd want a 39" monitor on my desk; I'd go for an ultrawide before that, I feel like.

Thank you for the recommendations!

The QNIX ships from Korea, and the reason why it's so cheap is because they're built with LED panels that OEMs like Samsung rejected to use in their own products. These panels CAN BE perfectly with regards to dead pixels/trapped dust/backlight bleed, but still get thrown out for any a number of other reasons. QNIX buys and shoves these panels into cheap housings to make cheap monitors and sell them.

Upsides:
- Cost, as you see.
- Overclocking. Very simple if you have an NVidia card, slightly more complicated if you've got AMD, but there's a lot of information/guides. It varies based on how nice a panel you're shipped, but some owners report being able to go to 120Hz refresh rate, though the highest rate you can get dependably seems to be 96Hz.
- 1440p display

Downsides:
- Spotty QC. Sometimes there are dead pixels or dust in the panels. Some panels come offset in the monitor casing, requiring you to either open it up and reseat it yourself or ask for a new unit, which can suck because...
- It ships from Korea, and you'll need to ship it back to Korea if you want a replacement, if they'll even offer one.
- lovely stand. Can't adjust it at all, and in my case it came poorly cast/drilled so it wobbled a lot if I touched it. Everyone recommends picking up a nice VESA mount if you don't already have one (can run another 20-50 bucks depending on the type you want)
- lovely buttons/features. There are brightness buttons but no indicator of what level you're on. There are volume buttons but my speaker sounded like hot garbage no matter what I tried, YMMV though.
- Korean power plug, but it comes with a US AC/DC adapter.
- Only supports Dual Link DVI cables, no HDMI.

If I were you I'd look up return policies/experiences with people who needed to return it before I bought one, but I gambled on it and don't regret it at all. EDIT: additional downside and rewording for clarity.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 14, 2015

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

th3t00t posted:

nvidia, gtx970

Assuming you've already got drivers and NVIDIA Control Panel installed:

1. Open NVIDIA Control Panel
2. On the sidebar on the left, navigate to "Change Resolution" (underneath the "Display" category).
3. Click "Customize" at the bottom.
4. Click "Create Custom Resolution" at the bottom.
5. In this new window, make sure horizontal and vertical pixels are set to the native resolution (2560x1440), then set "Refresh rate (Hz") to whatever you want it to be. Most people online seem to settle on 96Hz as the cost/benefit sweet spot (overclocking in general makes colors out of whack, which are fixable with custom color profiles but that's neither here nor there). The "Standard" setting under "Timing" should be set to "Automatic."
6. Test the resolution. If nothing looks out of place, save it.
7. Hit "OK" to exit the "Customize" window
8. In the resolution list, there should be a new "Custom" header with a single resolution (the native one) to choose. Click on it. To the right there will be a "Refresh rate" drop down. Click on that, and click on the refresh rate.

That should be it. You can gently caress around with color profiles if you do color sensitive work, but that was all I needed to do myself (at least, that I remember). Let me know if that doesn't work out

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Don Lapre posted:

Whats the point of debezelling when there is still a border?

The QNIX bezel is pretty sizable, a full inch on top and an inch and a half of the bottom (extra bezel for...buttons? LED power indicator? unclear). It can be bothersome.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

DaveSauce posted:

This is not something I was aware of.

Desk space and budget reasons. Why should I go bigger? And I ask that legitimately, not to be a sarcastic rear end. This is a computer monitor that I'll be 2 feet away from, not a home theater that I'll be 15 feet from. I just don't want to end up with a 36" monstrosity.

I'd gladly consider something better, I just don't know where the sweet spot is or what technology/features I should be looking for.

edit:

So what about this guy (these guys??):

QNIX QX2710 LED Matte 27"

QNIX QX2710 "Perfect Pixel" LED Evolution II Glossy 27"

First: aside from matte vs glossy, what the hell is the difference?

Second, 27" seems to be the money spot for this type of monitor. Is that a correct assumption?

"Perfect Pixel" implies that someone will actually turn on the monitor and check for dead pixels/any defects, and replace it with a non-defected one before they ship it out. However, a lot of people who order Pixel Perfect ones have still reported dead pixels and other issues. Most suggest just getting the regular one.

27 is a sweet spot mostly because of the exact model you are looking at. There's a risk of getting a defective monitor, and possibly being unable to RMA it due to the manufacturer being in Korea, but it's a decent quality, overclockable IPS at an incredible price and I can't remember anyone here complaining about their's. Definitely look into a VESA mount if you buy, though.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

d3rt posted:

CS:GO at native res 144 FPS is interesting. When I first started playing with this new monitor my hit reg seemed completely off and I was missing a ton more than usual, but after a week I'm starting to get to arena 1 much more consistently on AIM 1v1 maps. It actually feels better clicking heads and getting the HS somehow, more satisfying, hard to describe.

FWIW there's been discussion of hitreg just being off in general the past two weeks - some dev spoke about it on the CS:GO subreddit even.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Rexxed posted:

Currently my main monitor is a 1920x1080 dell IPS and I like it a lot. I'm using a GTX 970 so it's a good mix of video card and resolution. I also have a lot of stuff open on a second monitor that's an old 1680x1050 like browser windows and VM consoles. I just need more physical screen space (resolution) so I figured I'd get a 27" Korean panel and if I was unhappy with the 970's ability to drive it in what I play, then I'd just use it as a secondary, so I'm not super concerned with my video card not being beefy enough for it (although it'd be nice to use as a primary monitor if I'm not playing new AAA titles).

FWIW, my single 970 drives* Witcher 3 at 1440p (on a QNIX QX2710) with no problems, though not at 60+ fps on all high settings. Unless you're trying to play something cutting edge (Arkham Knight, maybe? Not familiar with all its tech issues) or a known intensive game (GTA5) you should have no problems with a 1440p game.

I can't recommend the QNIX at the time though, a lot of rumbling and rumors about how QC/panel quality on it have gone way down recently. Overclock.net had a lot of knowledge on the topic, even if you have to sift through a lot of noise.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Does the Nixeus Edg 27v2 support MST? And how thick are the bezels?

I'm considering getting a pair for my fine but aging QNIX 27.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

K8.0 posted:

They probably don't support MST and you couldn't use it anyway, because DP 1.4 doesn't have enough bandwidth for more than one 1440p high refresh monitor. Also I question why you would get two - you really don't NEED high refresh on your secondary monitor, and unless you budget is close to unlimited it's hard to justify.

I'm really hoping to move to a 2 Monitor Setup where I can easily switch their input from my tower to a laptop with minimal fiddling.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I imagined that having two monitors chained together using MST would mean I'd only ever need to change a single input (in my case, Displayport output from my tower GPU to a Thunderbolt->Displayport adapter out). I was looking at the Nixeus mostly because I would be using them mostly for gaming at home, but the ability to use them for work on occasion would be awesome.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I got my Nixeus Edg v2 from Newegg via Ebay - it is super sweet, thinner bezels than my old QNIX and the 144Hz/GSync is even more noticeably smooth compared to my old 96Hz, but it unfortunately came with some pretty big clusters of dead pixels. Hopefully Newegg will allow a return via EBay.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

Are your individual stands the ones that are gas powered and can go all directions or just the static one that I recently bought (picture above)?

I bought a different Huano dual monitor arm (this one) for my similar setup of dual 1440p 27" and it works great - once I dialed the gas piston to the right tension my monitors move super freely.

One caveat though, coming from a monitor arm like your pictured one but for a single 27", is I did need to move my desk back from the wall more than I wanted in order to make space for the lower parts of the arms to be bent back towards the wall, allowing the top parts of the arm to come be close together on a vertical plane, but still my preferred distance away from the edge of the desk I sit on. I also has to offset the mount point to the left of my desk so that I could have one monitor front and center and the second one at more of an angle. (I can try to draft up a terrible image for more clarity)

My desk is comparatively tiny to the total width of the monitors though - only 48" wide by 24" deep - so depending on your own dimensions and preferred monitor set up, this might not be an issue, but just a heads up for something I didn't consider fully before buying a stand.

EDIT: terrible mspaint images, proportions are way off but idea is there I think

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 27, 2020

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Busy Bee posted:

That's a good point! I ended up just getting two of these stands right here, same brand - https://www.amazon.com/HUANUO-Monitor-Mount-Stand-Bolt-Through/dp/B07Z7YNCBW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

This is exactly what I wish I had done, though I'm hoping to get a bigger, deeper desk at some point and make this a moot point

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

This is also the angle I like to use and I want to get a monitor arm/s. My desk is only about a half inch thick. Is that going to hold up the clamp? Are there specific things to know about arms or just find well reviewed ones on Amazon? I have a corporate Best Buy discount so I should probably check what we have too.

Half an inch is really thin IMO. My own desktop is from Ikea and made from particle board and I wouldn't dream of getting a dual monitor mount if it weren't the thickness that it is (~1 inch). If yours is solid wood or metal, and you got a mount with a big base, maybe? I'm no expert and have no experience with desks beyond my own though.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Paul MaudDib posted:

there is also "40% style" layout and that's just insane, like you give up the number keys entirely.

Tap the left arrow at the bottom for space, tap the right arrow for enter. Hold one down to transform the keys to some combination of numbers, symbols, function keys, and system keys, hold down the older to transform it into other capitals.

I own 2 40% boards, and I like them a lot, but the board pictured above (Gherkin if for some god forsake reason you're interested) is a bridge too far even for me.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 06:58 on May 31, 2020

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

MixMasterMalaria posted:

For someone without much of a frame of reference: how does the a modern panel like the LG 27GL83A-B compare to the older Korean import IPS monitors from a while back? Specifically the q270.

ninjaedit I realize you were talking about a different panel, but I think people talk about the Nixeus as kind of sort of in the same conversation as the LGs, if with a less consistent panel manufacturer

I bought a Nixeus Edg 27S to be my new main monitor and relegated my QNIX2710 as my secondary. It's better in every way. In short:

- Variable refresh rate is much nicer - as frame rates fluctuate it's much less discernible on my Nixeus.
- Color is better, but mostly because when I overclocked my QNIX's refresh rate to 96Hz it caused all the colors it to look much warmer. It's still better even when I drop the refresh rate to native 60 though - I couldn't quantify or qualify exactly how because I'm an idiot when it comes to these things, but I'd say they're better balanced (whites on QNIX are overly bright when compared to the Nixeus, Discord is extremely dark on the QNIX but steel gray on the Nixeus, which is more pleasant to me in a variety of lighting conditions)
- Much better...clarity? eg. text is sharper, even though they're both 1440p. I'm not sure if this is a result of the aforementioned color balance, the fact that it's input is DisplayPort vs DVI, or something else.
- Much smaller bezels. Half inch on each side maybe? That alone made me want to keep the first dead pixel'd panel I got from them, or maybe pick up a second.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 23, 2020

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Splinter posted:

What do you guys recommend for the following requirements:

- 24"-27" (preferably 27")
- 1440p
- 120Hz or 144Hz refresh rate
- Believe Adaptive Sync is something I want (which means G-Sync w/ an nVidia card?)
- Budget: $400-500
- Unsure if HDR is something to care about yet
- Primary use: gaming

Currently looking at the LG Ultragear 27GL850-B ($500) which seems like it checks all the boxes and from my experience LG is a solid monitor brand. Is there anything else I should be looking at? From what I can tell there's not much with those specs that's much cheaper (barring a sale) than that unless I start looking at 24" monitors.

To parrot other posters: the LG 27GL850-B and 27GL83A-B are common recs here, and the 27GL83A-B will occasionally drop to ~$350 on Amazon if you're willing wait and watch. HDR isn't really something to care about, especially for monitors for gaming and in that price range. If you have a GPU that supports either GSync (as an Nvidia card) or Freesync (as an AMD card), it'll work fine on the LG.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Biowarfare posted:

Haven't seen this in a few pages - what is the sentiment on Pixio, Nixeus, Monoprice, Gaems, Deco Gear, etc? I'm looking for a super budget IPS 2k144.

What is super budget?

I have the Nixeus EDGEv2 and I'm happy with it at ~330 USD, but given that the LGs can be had for 50-100 more bucks, I'm not sure I'd recommend it over them. I had to send my first one back for egregiously clustered dead pixels, and kept the second for only having a scattering of <10, and by most accounts LG's have better QC to prevent that. There was a 2k144 Monoprice panel for ~180 USD during Prime Day (directly from Monoprice, not Amazon), but it was a TN panel.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

K8.0 posted:

The only downside is that when you do game, driving 4k in anything remotely modern is a beastly chore. What GPU do you have? Some nvidia and AMD GPUs give you the ability to run integer scaling, which can effectively make your monitor 1080p for the purposes of gaming.

What about Integer Scaling makes it better than just lowering resolutions (in a full screened game)? Is there any costs/tradeoffs to it? Obviously per all the discussion in the thread 4k144hz displays still not a reality/available right now, but in the future having a 27" monitor that I can use at 4k for productivity and 1440p/1080p would be great for monitor longevity, and removes a small but maybe significant variable when choosing a monitor.

I only own a 1070 GTX so I can't try it out myself.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Suck it up and get some Dual Lock: https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Reclosable-Fastener-SJ3560-Clear/dp/B0141MQRGI

That will let you stick pretty much anything to anything else and have it be removable/adjustable. It's a little pricey but the adhesive is VHB which is some structural-grade poo poo, yet removes without residue. I used it in my office to stick webcams to the top/bottom of various TVs to make Zoom setups and they held on for years.

My 3 year old Nixeus EDG 27" inch 1440p monitor just developed a lovely red line of red pixels, from the top to the bottom, through the center of it which persists on multiple outputs and OSes. I've tried resetting it via the OSD, changing the resolution, running a pixel unsticker over parts of it, but it's probably an issue with the LCD driver/pane itself. If anyone has any other suggestions I'll gladly take them, but I guess I'm in the market for a new monitor now.

I'm looking at other 1440p/144hz ~27in monitors, mainly the the M27Q Pro (which seems like it doesn't have the BGR subpixels of the non Pro model) and the LG-27GP850-B. Anything to know about the two of them, or any other considerations in the 300-400 USD price range? The KVM functionality on the Gigabyte is really tempting since I use the monitor for my work MBP and my PC. I don't really care too much about media consumption since my usage is like 70% looking at code for work and 30% playing various games, the most demanding being Valorant and maybe FF14 if I ever get back into it (which would probably coincide with upgrading from my GTX1070).

EDIT: I should add I don't particularly care about stands, I've got a monitor arm I'd attach it to.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 5, 2023

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Thirst Mutilator posted:

My 3 year old Nixeus EDG 27" inch 1440p monitor just developed a lovely red line of red pixels, from the top to the bottom, through the center of it which persists on multiple outputs and OSes. I've tried resetting it via the OSD, changing the resolution, running a pixel unsticker over parts of it, but it's probably an issue with the LCD driver/pane itself. If anyone has any other suggestions I'll gladly take them, but I guess I'm in the market for a new monitor now.

I'm looking at other 1440p/144hz ~27in monitors, mainly the the M27Q Pro (which seems like it doesn't have the BGR subpixels of the non Pro model) and the LG-27GP850-B. Anything to know about the two of them, or any other considerations in the 300-400 USD price range? The KVM functionality on the Gigabyte is really tempting since I use the monitor for my work MBP and my PC. I don't really care too much about media consumption since my usage is like 70% looking at code for work and 30% playing various games, the most demanding being Valorant and maybe FF14 if I ever get back into it (which would probably coincide with upgrading from my GTX1070).

EDIT: I should add I don't particularly care about stands, I've got a monitor arm I'd attach it to.

WelI, I woke up this morning and it's gone? I didn't know it could do that.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Trialing out stacked monitors. Due to desk/apartment constraints (speakers, really wanting a centered monitor), I can't really make them work side by side. Initially wished the top monitor could be set higher, so that I could move both of them up, but after fiddling with my chair height/recline, I don't mind their current height. The "seam" where the two monitors meet is basically center of my vision whether I'm sitting up or leaning back.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

xgalaxy posted:

Hey split keyboard buddy. Where did you get your coiled trrs cable?
I just bought the voyager and looking for nice cables.

It came with my Iris. Seems like you can order it standalone from Keebio here though it isn't as fancy/braided/colorful as other options out there.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

tildes posted:

I am jealous of that window setup, it looks perfect for being able to look at a 180 view while working

It's a saving grace of being somewhat forced to fit a desk here, due to the room layout. Two downsides are it being west facing (meaning I have to adjust the blinds to prevent the sun being directly in my eyes as the day goes on) and the windows only overlooking a one way street with little people watching, but I'll take any view and natural light over a wall and having to figure out lighting in my room.

More topically, all these OLED panels look so nice, and have me rethinking the M27U I bought at $500, but I could barely justify that price and I'm still a little on the fence of its worth - I doubt I'd be able to justify the price of an OLED for a mixed coding/gaming use. Hoping that in 3 years a 4K OLED comes down to something like what I paid for this M27U.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Keeper Garrett posted:

Do I need anything special for a vertical oriented 'reading forums' monitor?

Aside from mounting/stand constraints above, the only other issue you might run into is cables not being long to run from your computer to wherever it's situated. Windows/MacOS handle portrait mode pretty well, or at least I've never heard of someone having an issue with it.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

I just got a 4K monitor (Gigabyte M27U) , so I'm half considering a 4070 Super or 4070 TI Super. The most demanding games I'd consider it for are BG3, SF6, FF14. It would be cool if it could handle Like a Dragon 2 and GBF: Relink, but that's obviously unknowable until they're out. The reason I'm asking anyways is budgetary - I wonder if even if I did pick up a 4000 series card and a new PSU, how much my CPU/RAM would still be holding me back, and if it would warrant spending to also replace the CPU/Motherboard/RAM.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($107.30 @ MemoryC)
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($79.89 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: EVGA FTW GAMING ACX 3.0 GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply: Rosewill Capstone 450 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply
Total: $187.19
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2024-01-21 03:31 EST-0500

Not in a rush, just trying to get a sense of how much I'd need/want to spend if I did want to in the near future.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This question may be better suited for the PC building thread.

I... thought I was :smith:

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

runchild posted:

Is gaming at sub-4K resolutions on a 27" 4K monitor as terrible an idea as some people make it out to be? Or is it basically fine even if it’s not as good as playing on a native resolution monitor? I’m seeing a lot of conflicting opinions.

I ask because a gaming monitor for a hypothetical PC build would have to pull double duty as my primary work screen due to limited desk space, and I’m put off by the idea of 1440p being half the resolution I currently work at. I don’t expect anything in my price range to truly measure up to the Retina iMac I got from work, but the Gigabyte M27U seems like it hits the sweet spot for work and gaming and not breaking the bank. It’s even got a handy-dandy KVM switch built right in. But I don’t think I can afford to target 4K.

Had the same concerns when buying a M27U and in my limited (like 4 week) experience, it's fine. I'm still running a secondary 1440p monitor, so I tested the difference by switching between them on Helldivers 2 with the game resolution set to 1440p and the rendering scale at "native", there IS a difference in sharpness, but it's not really noticeable in motion and not significant in stills (I can try to take some screenshots if you'd like, though I don't know how helpful they'd be). The difference in sharpness certainly doesn't outweigh the benefits the 4K provides me for productivity/work (again, IMO). Put another way, if I could only keep one of the two monitors, I'd keep the 4K in a heartbeat, but I'm also totally comfortable playing games even at 1080p or with crazy performance render scaling/DLSS.

EDIT: to clarify, they're both 27" monitors (M27U and Nixeus EDG27), so it should be a fair comparison of 1440p on a native 1440p vs native 4k monitor, things like color, etc. aside.

Thirst Mutilator fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 23, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Reasier posted:

I have an Acer Predator X34 GSbmiipphuzx 34" but it flickers when connected to my macbook pro and doesn't switch the USB peripherals when switching between display port and usb-c. Is there a G-SYNC monitor that is 34"-36" wide and can

1. KVM Switch properly when switching inputs (usb-c -> usb-c and usb-a when on display port)
2. USB-C works with M1 2021 Macbook Pro / Mac Mini
3. G-SYNC + high refresh rate. (does this matter?)

Could you clarify your first point? I have a M27U, and if I hit the KVM switch it switches inputs from my PC's DisplayPort to my M3 Pro's USB C and vice versa, and everything plugged into the USB A ports on the monitor also switches (I have my mouse, keyboard, and speakers plugged into those), but from my reading of 1) it seems like you might want something else? If what I described is what you want though, definitely look into Gigabyte M series monitors, I'm very happy with mine.

However one thing I'd advise looking into with your current monitor is if you're using the right USB C cable and if your monitor has a Type C compatibility setting. I don't get high refresh output from my M3 Pro unless I'm using a USB C 3.0 cable AND I have that compatibility setting turned to "Off." I'm not sure if the specifics, but I'd guess some monitors need to expect the full USB C 3.0 input instead of some generic input (in the case of something like HDMI output to the USBC input? maybe?)