Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

Huh...what you say posted:

If I was to grab a stand that could rotate a Korean monitor into portrait mode, would this not work at all due to the resolution limitation? Also, wondering about BIOS tinkering, I'm guessing same limitation...

Regarding 60 Hz. vs. 120 Hz.: it seems this is only an issue for FPS's--playing something like league of legends wouldn't benefit from a monitor with 120 Hz., would it?

Yeah I have a Samsung S23A700D that is 120 Hz, and while I love it because I mostly play fps games like CS:GO, I wouldn't recommend it for most people. The difference to me between 60 and 120 Hz is really noticeable, even while just on the desktop, but for 99% of users I would recommend a nicer IPS panel over a fast TN panel (do fast, high resolution IPS panels exist yet? If they will in the near future I know where a part of my Christmas bonus money is going :pcgaming:). For media use I use the 42 inch Panasonic plasma located in the same room, and the computer is just for leisure use when I am actually home and not out of province for work, so really accurate colour reproduction and wide viewing angles weren't a big concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

It all depends on what kind of games you play. FPS's take up the majority of my playtime, so I have a 1080p 120Hz TN (it's a BenQ from about 4 years back, If I remember correctly at the time it was basically IPS or 120Hz, pick one, you can't have both). The colours were pretty poo poo out of the box, but after finding calibration settings from an online review it's passable. For me it's not a big deal, because if I ever watch content from my computer, it's on the plasma tv that's also hooked up to my computer. If it was my only display it would pretty lacking to be honest.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

Try a shooter that isn’t PVE, shooting computers that were made for people aiming with game pads and 60hz TVs isn’t going to be impressive. Then in 2 weeks go back to your old monitor.

Yeah the only game on that list that even remotely would benefit from increased frame rate is Destiny 2, and that’s a slow rear end FPS in the grand scheme of things. I mostly play FPS’s on my computer, so these comments saying 60 Hz is more than enough seem bizarre to me, but I guess how much it impresses you really depends on your taste in games. I could never go back to anything sub 100 Hz for a gaming computer, for general use it’s nice but unnecessary.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

I had some problem with my x34 that only hits 95hz and Black Ops 4 not letting me do any refresh rather other than 50 or 60. Going back to 60 was painful, I was losing enemies while starting to ADS with my gun. I switched to my other gaming monitor and went right back to dominating, so obviously that’s anecdotal but it’s way more noticeable when you lose it than when you initially switch to it.

Agreed. When I first got my 120 Hz monitor way back, I had the screen revert to 60 Hz after switching the output from the tv back to monitor. All it took was moving my view once in Far Cry 3 to confirm something was off, it felt jerky as hell. I find 60 Hz on a tv with a controller perfectly fine, but with a mouse sitting that close to the screen it’s night and day between the two for me.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

K8.0 posted:

90% of the people who will tell you to buy an ultrawide have never lived with one.
The other 10% just want you to make the same mistake they did.

Ultrawides are for people with money to throw away. The value proposition is awful, do not consider them if you care about money.

I love mine because I play primarily FPS and, since I got a wheel and pedal setup, racing games. It’s a lot more immersive compared to my old 16:9 1080p monitor. Outside those use cases though, you are paying substantially more compared to similarly spec’d 16:9 monitors for minor benefit. I wouldn’t recommend them for most people, but I’ll never go back.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Rusty posted:

I have the Amazon Basic for my 34" Ultrawide and it worked fine for years. I moved it all the time all over and the only issue I had was I had to tighten it every 3 or 4 months. It did seem like it was at its limit with my monitor though it was rated for much heavier ones, but hard to say.

I’ve had my 34 inch ultrawide on the Amazon Basic stand for well over a year, and since I rarely move it, I’ve never had to tighten it all after the initial install. Like you said though, I don’t think you could go any heavier than whatever my AW3418 weighs.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

TheFluff posted:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/au-optronics-showcase-new-panel-technologies-including-4k-144hz-oled-and-8k4k-panels/

Well, there it is. Who knows when it might be coming to market though, and at what price point.

Nice. Looking forward to getting one of these a couple years down the road. I like my 34 inch ultrawide, but LCD is so deeply flawed. Looking forward to having a display where black is actually black again.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

runaway dog posted:

busted out my dell S3422dwg UW VA panel and took a look at some of the VRR flicker triggers, and sure enough it does it too just way less severe, now I'm sad, because not only do I notice a new annoying thing now, but I don't really see it ever getting fixed since it's apparently been a thing for as long as VRR/freesync/g-sync

I miss the good ol days where I didn't notice stuff like screen tearing, black level smearing, etc

I have the same issue with my AW3423DW (non F, I was a very early adopter, as in ordered the monitor on release). I found what alleviated it the most for me on games exhibiting the behaviour was setting the power management in windows to Ultra Performance when playing those games. It seems like every time the processor clocked down it would cause the frame times to become super variable and exacerbate the issue. YMMV, but the only time I really notice it now is on loading screens and poorly coded trash like Tarkov.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

runaway dog posted:

sorry I'm not seeing any ultra performance power management

I see a high performance power plan which I'm always in
and I see the nvidia control panel setting for power management mode with the options of normal and prefer maximum performance, which I set to max after reading your post and sadly there was no change. I appreciate you trying to help out though.

also I'm noticing it flickers with vrr on even on my desktop while hovering over taskbar icons or when certain programs are in focus but still windowed(signal rgb), which confuses me since my understanding was gsync "enable for full screen mode" only came on when you were playing a full screen game

That’s weird, I only get the behaviour you’re describing when certain windowed programs are loaded in, and not when hovering over taskbar icons. Is there a program running in the background or an overlay that could be loving poo poo up? I’m also currently running a 4090, so I might be brute forcing through these issues, I definitely noticed it more when I was running a 2080, but not to the level you’re describing.

I forgot ultra performance mode is not a default option in Windows 11, it’s easily re-enabled , but I don’t think it’s a fix in this case since you were already in high performance mode. Sorry I couldn’t be more help, it’s pretty much my only complaint with the monitor, I know how aggravating it can be.