Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

fyallm posted:

I have not gotten the card yet. I posted in the build your own computer thread and was going to get the 560 but was told it would prolly be overkill. Also if I got the 560ti I wouldn't be able to run 1900 x 1200 on the U2311H correct?

I am currently waiting for my tax refund to come next week, and hopefully more 1155 motherboards to come in stock at newegg. If I was to bump up to the 560ti would the U2311H still be the go to monitor?.

whenever possible, getting a card with potential above what you need is far better than "just adequate", and more futureproof. Factoring in motherboard efficiencies, processor, ram, and most importantly heat when you are above the capability needed for the game, these can be an issue. Note the benchmark performance at 1920x1200 and what hardware they have, and then compare with your own hardware to gauge a little bit of "how it *should* perform".

Heat most importantly because (theoretical) if the 460 can barely handle it but 560ti can handle it better, the card probably won't hit the thermal threshold or choke up in busy scenes. I'm not an Nvidia fan, but I would go with the OP's suggestion pretty strongly. If I were to suggest, get a 6950 and unlock it to 6970, but that's more money ($300 vs ~200).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

fyallm posted:

I will be going with GIGABYTE Super Overclock Series GV-N560SO-1GI GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Man, I can't wait for my tax refund. The gf is going to be pissed at the huge gently caress ton of time I will be playing on my new toy. If the Jeep, Civic, Halo wasn't enough, haha.

Thanks again!

Umm. Don't get a 1GB card, and if you're willing to spend that much you may as well get a 6950 that can be patched to run as a stock 6970 for better performance. Heres a $275 card that will run faster than the 560. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102914 or *at least* get a 2GB 560ti.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 10, 2011

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
I wouldn't consider the 6970 unlock a overclock, but eh.

Meanwhile, reason for 2GB: playing a game while streaming a movie on a TV, for example. edit: sorry, when I say streaming, I mean a 1080p downloaded movie, not netflix. Also the 20MB is for ram, not for video ram usage for powering the second display, which (hint): takes more than 30MB. Also, yes, AF, AA and some things can use the extra Vram (mipmaps per google), such as virtualization, too. It depends on what ya want to do.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Mar 10, 2011

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Kragger99 posted:

With my recent upgrade to an i5 2500K, 6780 1MB ATI vid card, and 4 Gig RAM set up, will moving from a 22" 1680X1050 LCD res to a 1920X1080 LED res provide a significantly noticeable upgrade for gaming?

I know something like this could be subjective, but just wondering if anyone else here has done that, and what they experienced.

I've read the increase to 1920X1080 will cause a drop in FPS.

well, it's not really a drop, it's more like more stress for your graphics card. instead of needing a 6780, you might need a 6870 or a 6970 for things to run smooth. However, this matters most in terms of "What" you are playing, first and foremost. More to render = more work for the card. However, things tend to look a shitload better at higher res's. It also means that AA and AF are more taxing too. So if you do 8xAA at 1680x1050, don't expect that at 1920 or above, basically.