Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I'm going to be putting together an entire new PC build soon, including a new monitor, but I think I'd like to keep my current/old one as a 2nd display. I've never used two monitors at once, so several questions:

1) I'd like to have it in portrait mode for MAME and a few things on Steam (Crimzon Clover etc). It came with, and is currently resting in, its default cheapo bottom-snap-in plastic thing, so I will need an aftermarket stand. I checked the back and it looks like there are screw holes (:mmmhmm:) to mount it to something. What do I get? I need something that supports rotating 90º CW or CCW (is that the "pivot" aspect on monitor listings?) and will sit on my desk (no wall mounts). Something like this maybe? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3BG1XJ1521 but from an actual reliable brand name, preferrably.

2) Can I play a game in fullscreen mode on monitor 1 (new) while having the windows desktop running on monitor 2 (old)? Or does the game on monitor 1 need to be in Windowed Fullscreen to achieve that functionality? They would be driven with a GTX 1060 6GB, HDMI for new and DVI for old.

3) Are there configuration options or keyboard commands to shift my desktop over to monitor 2 when I play a game in fullscreen (or windowed fullscreen)?

4) I assume viewing web pages is weird in portrait mode, is there a way to access content for mobile screens on a PC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Desuwa posted:

1) Monitors all use a standard VESA mounting system, every monitor I've ever seen supports VESA 100. That stand you linked looks fine for a single monitor unless you're at the upper end of the weight it claims to support. It's arms and stands for multiple monitors where you have to be more careful about build quality.

2) That's how it'll work by default. Games will be full screen on your first (primary) monitor unless you go out of your way to change it.

3) I don't think there's anything that'll do what you want, shifting the primary monitor's "share" of the desktop to the second monitor. You'll be extending your desktop onto your second monitor so anything that was there will remain visible. Most full screen games won't allow your mouse to travel to your other display without alt-tabbing, though.

4) You really don't want mobile pages on a desktop, if anything the problem will be CSS media rules giving you the mobile layouts for pages, but most major sites rely on browser sniffing instead. Sites generally work with multiple resolutions or window sizes since not everyone uses browsers maximized.

Thank you for the answers, I appreciate it.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I'm interested in getting a G-Sync monitor. My video card is a GTX 1060, and that is likely not going to change any time soon, so I need to stick with 1080p. The selection for 1080p G-sync monitors is extremely limited. The ASUS PG248Q seems pretty ideal, but apparently their customer support is garbage if something goes wrong. Same with the equivalent Acer model. Seems risky when I'd be spending 400-500 bucks.

There's also one from Alienware, which apparently is a step up in quality, but I have questions about refresh rates: It's a 240hz monitor, but I don't think I'll be able to get 240fps in anything with a 1060. Would this still be suitable for my rig? How do G-sync monitors deal with lower FPS than its native rating? Can you set the hz to whatever? I've only ever used 60hz in anything.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

If you really want a 24" GSync monitor the S2417DG probably makes the most sense, just drive it at 1080p.

It's 1440p, won't that make it look like rear end? Isn't that a big no-no when it comes to LCD/LED displays (running it at anything except the native res)?

DrDork posted:

Yeah, the powers that be decided that "real" GSync monitors start at 27" 1440p and go up from there, leaving you with comparatively limited 1080p options.

Both Acer and ASUS have been trying to do a little better with customer support lately, but you're still strongly recommended to buy from a retailer with a good return policy, like Amazon or a brick-and-mortar that you can just walk it back to. Most of these panels come without noticeable problems these days, which generally means that you can figure out within the first 15 minutes whether or not you're gonna be looking into a return.

As for FPS, don't worry about it. If you can only push 130 but the panel supports 180 or 240, it'll appear quite smooth without you having to do anything. Where things get janky is the other way around: if you're trying to push 200 FPS but your panel only supports 144, you have to remember to enable GSync Fast Sync. And then, of course, if you're struggling to push 40 FPS or something, that's where GSync really shines by smoothing everything out and making it feel like you're playing at a much higher FPS than you actually are.

You could certainly set the monitor to a lower Hz than its native, but there's literally no reason to ever do so unless you get one of the 180Hz monitors and are specifically targeting a multiple-of-24 for video reasons (then you'd set it to 168Hz).

Thanks for the info, good stuff. I live in a medium-sized town so my options for brick-and-mortar are Best Buy and Walmart. Looks like both carry the ASUS PG248Q, so I guess that's what I'll get. Should I buy an extra warranty (BB's is $50 for 4 years)? A lot of the reviews on Newegg say that theirs failed or started having problems after several months.

e: I think it comes with a DP cable, but if I wanted to buy something high-quality, what would you recommend? The PC parts thread pointed me to Monoprice stuff when I did my new build last year, I checked them out and they only have basic DP cables, nothing too fancy. Found this one on amazon, would that be acceptable?

e²: BB also carries the AW2518H, I think I'd rather pay extra for allegedly extra quality. I'd just need to have them order it for me.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 22, 2018

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Been reading some not-so-good things about Win10 1803 and gsync. Specifically it does not work in windowed fullscreen right now. That's what I use to game currently so I think I'll hold off on a new monitor until MS/Nvidia fix that.