Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Fats posted:

Having just got one last week (I went with the LG34GP83A, to match my existing 27" LG panels), I'd agree that the curve doesn't really add anything. Maybe on the 49" super crazy wide monitors it makes sense.

I was just looking at this monitor, having just scored a 6700XT. How is it? Have you noticed any issues at all?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
So I just got a 3090. Do I go ultrawide 1440p or 4k monitor? I'm currently running a 10 year old Samsung Syncmaster 2443 until I figure it out, but the backlight bleed is atrocious compared to modern stuff.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
What's going on with monitors? Is it just the general semiconductor shortage?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

As a 1440p ultrawide owner, I'd go 4k all day. The real problem is that I'd want a 32" 144hz+ 4k and none of them are out yet. The LG 27GN950 is about to get refreshed as the 27GP950, which will add HDMI 2.1 support and not need DSC, but those are 27".

Why is that? What is it that makes the extra resolution worth going back to 16:9 aspect ratio? Just asking because I have had neither a 4k or ultrawide monitor. So I want to make the right choice.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
That's a good point about games not necessarily shipping with 21:9 support. I don't watch a whole lot of videos on my computer, but I do also want to experiment with streaming games to the TV in the living room. So it might be best to just have a monitor at the same resolution.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I see the LG ultragear monitors get a lot of praise. But they're usually IPS panels so they can be a bit spendy.

How do people here feel about the BFGDs? Specifically, something like an LG OLED with G Sync?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

wolrah posted:

5 year burn-in warranty

Who has that? Who do I need to buy from to get that?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Stroop There It Is posted:

Helps to know this! I keep looking at the LG 32GN650-B because I definitely don't want something curved, but it's a VA panel.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078TTXLW5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_CQT726AZHPWH0ZMYX4VG

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
VA panels have issues with smearing on dark colors. But if that doesn't bother you than it should be alright.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Thanks for all the input guys. I ended up spending way over what I originally budgeted and have gotten a LG OLED55BXPUA. It's a G-Sync compatible 55" OLED TV at that can push 4k 120hz over HDMI 2.1. I also got the 5 year geek squad plan on it that covers image burn in. It was $1300 at Best Buy +$300 for the protection plan. But I have a lot of rearranging to do in tye computer room now. I'm so excited for when it shows up.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Something I didn't think about. Do I actually need a HDMI 2.1 rated cable to get 4k 120Hz? Or is that mostly all marketing?

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Rusty posted:

You don't need one that is officially certified, but you need a high speed cable to carry that signal or you won't get 120hz. I got this one from Amazon which works fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GS6SPCS/

Also I should note that you need to check the resolution in the nVidia control panel. There are the normal resolutions at the top, but you have to go down to the PC settings and use those resolutions to get 120hz.

Thanks. I ran out to best buy and got one for $80 that will hold me until the one you suggested arrived.

My god. Gaming on a 4k OLED is glorious. I am in awe. Now I need to see how to tweak my settings because I'm only getting about 60-70 fps in Space Engineers when I'm out in space.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Do you have anything against running a 16:9 monitor in portrait instead of landscape? You mentioned reading and editing documents, and I frequently see people using normal monitors in a portrait orientation for that. That could let you see an entire page at a time.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

eighty-four merc posted:

Anything I should consider when combining portrait and landscape monitors aside from, like, port compatibility and trigonometry?

Thanks again guys, really

Windows display settings lets you move your monitors around to approximate how they look in the real world. Play around with it while moving your mouse from one screen to another so you don't have weird poo poo going on like moving your mouse off the right side of one screen and it shows up on the far left screen.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

At this point the LG will push out smaller 4k120hz GSYNC oled tv's faster than actual display manufacturers will produce decent 32-34" 4k panels.

I'm extremely happy with my 55" OLED. I would have gotten a smaller size, but those were actually more expensive than the 55".

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

48" is totally small enough for a monitor right? Right? I'm probably going to do it. I've said so in the past but this time surely I mean it.

I just got a G-Sync 55" OLED and it is glorious.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Duck and Cover posted:

Yeah but I can only move my desk so far from the wall where I plan to mount it, maybe I'll get a keyboard tray thingy. Anyway I've pretty much convinced myself already I'm just waiting for the new LGs to become available.

I mean, how far from the wall can you move it? My desk is only about 3 ft from the wall and the desk depth is another 2 ft. And that's fine for a 55".

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Travic posted:

Mainly gaming. GPU is a Geforce 1660 Super. CPU is Ryzen 5 3600. I don't play bleeding edge graphics games, but I try to keep the resolution low for performance reasons.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gn650-b

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I just got a 55" and it's awesome. Just make sure you're sitting far enough away that you don't have to move your head too much to actually see the edges of the screen. I'm sitting about 5 ft away from mine.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
So I just got my 55" bx like a month ago. I have a completely black background, hide the task bar, and don't have any icons on my desktop. I also set my screensaver to turn on after 10 mins. I also shelled out the extra cash for the 5 year protection plan from best buy, that covers more than 3 stuck pixels and ghost images (burn in).

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
If it's a newer LG OLED, it should support HDMI 2.1 which allows for 120Hz at 4k. I'm currently able to drive 120fps at 4k on my 55" LG.

But to answer your question, turn off any variable refresh rate (G-Sync/FreeSync) and run a frame counter (Steam has one buried in the settings) if you want to see raw FPS output of your video card. Without DLSS, my 3090 can push No Man's Sky at around 100-110 fps, and with DLSS, maxes out at 120 fps due to me having G-Sync enabled and my TV maxing out at 120Hz. I have no idea how good or bad that is and if I need to optimize my settings further. Those are out of the box ultra settings to give you an idea though.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I have a 55" 4k monitor. It's loving awesome. That being said, it's wall mounted low and my desk is pulled away from the wall so I can be at eye level with it. Though you really don't have to come that far out. For a 43" monitor, you could probably get away with wall mounting it such that the bottom bezel was sitting right on the surface of your desk. However, you'll probably still have to come away a bit to minimize head movement when looking at the sides of the screen. I sit about 5-6 ft away from mine and that works perfectly for the 55"

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
You will not be disappointed in the slightest. May not be able to turn on HDR though. I tried. The brightness in the whites hurt my eyes. So goddamn bright. And that was on a BX that supposedly doesn't get as bright as the CX/C1. Still, never been happier with a monitor. Just make sure you get an HDMI cable that can handle the data rate.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
May as well sell the FI27Q when it shows up so you can get new-in-box price for it. Unless you really want the faster refresh rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't upscaling directly from 1080p to 4k provide cleaner results than 1080p>1440p>4k?