Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Prepare for my dumb questions!

I'm getting ready to upgrade my monitor situation at home when Black Friday deals start to roll in, because that is coincidentally the time frame when I'll have $200-$400 to drop on a monitor.

I tried to scout around at Best Buy, because I prefer being able to see a monitor's output before I actually buy it, but their monitor display is garbage these days. They were all showing blurry "hd" footage of animals with like really awful contrast glare from the sun in most shots, so I really couldn't get a feel for how any of them actually looked in use.

I'm looking for 27" (or maybe bigger) IPS with sharp image and vivid colors to replace my 23" Acer G236HLBbd, which I originally bought because it was the cheapest monitor in an acceptable size category :downs:
It does the job, but the colors are kinda washed-out and there's like no viewing angle. Please bombard me with product recommendations. I've got a pretty decent budget for this, but I don't really want to exceed 1920x1080 resolution, because I don't want to also upgrade my graphics card just now.

Also, I'd like to hang onto the old monitor to do a dual-monitor setup, so I can keep chat and browser windows over there. As long as I'm keeping games and such locked down to the new panel, it shouldn't matter that the two monitors are different sizes, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Gwaihir posted:

Well, first things first then, do not get a 27" 1080 monitor because it will look like hot garbage. Stick to something more like the 24" Ultrasharp Dells.

Good to know, thanks.