Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I picked up a Viewsonic VX2336S 23" IPS for $180 today. It's a new model, so the verdict still seems to be out on whether it's worth the money. Since this is my first external monitor in many years, what's a good way to put it through its paces? I've already run Dead Pixel Tester and while the colors are really vibrant, there's some backlight bleed on black.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

edit

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 05:50 on May 24, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I think I've talked myself into getting a Korean monitor. I started off considering $150 LED's, then $200 IPS LED's, but the Koreans seems like too good of a deal to pass up, even if they are overkill. It's probably because I regret not buying a 1920x1200 LCD when they were still popular and reasonably priced. :sigh:

For those who have a Korean monitor, do you have any regrets about the purchase? I'm especially interested in how you guys are handling a dual monitor setup. From a "coding window on main + internet/PDF windows on secondary" perspective, 2560x1440 doesn't help me much compared to 1920x1080, not to mention it's super easy to snap left/right windows in both monitors in Win7. However, it seems that getting a Korean will be fantastic for HD video and gaming.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 24, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sinestro posted:

It is exactly 2 times 720p, and exactly 1.3̅ times 1080p. Most content is still 720p or not fixed resolution, like a video game.
I'm not sure how 4/3 times 1080p resolution helps with upscaling, but TV shows and what not should be great.

The gaming thing makes me a little wary because I only have a 560 Ti 1GB (stock OC'ed to 900MHz core), but after my honeymoon with D3 is over, I'll be back to once a weeek gaming, so net-net it's a win.

edit: Just went in for a Perfect Pixel PCBank from green-sum. Apparently he dropped his price to $299 overnight to match a couple of the smaller sellers (bigclothcraft appears to be out of Perfect Pixels at the moment)

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 24, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tedronai66 posted:

Has anyone here bought the MicroCenter 27" IPA yet? Pondering grabbing one now that I've been paid again. 40$ for shipping hurts but it's a drat nice looking monitor.
According to reviews I've seen on HardOCP, it's a Korean monitor.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I got an email notification via ebay yesterday that my Korean monitor had shipped, but the expected delivery is June 12-25. From what I've seen on HardOCP and Overclock.net, delivery is usually under a week. Did you guys also get a 3-4 week delivery estimate?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 26, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Re: Korean Monitors
It's finally time to ditch my 2048x1536 CRT. I had been planning on getting something like a DS-307W or ZR30w to replace it, but if I can get a 2560x1440 for 1/4 the price, I might change my mind. The thing is, the listings on those monitors are…less than helpful. They all appear to be 27" S-IPS panels with a 2560x1440 resolution. Are the panels the same in all of them? I saw at least one of them had 30-bit color, are they all that way? Do any of them have DisplayPort?
I spent about a day and a half researching Korean monitors before I purchased one. I ended up going with a PCBank because it had the cheapest Perfect Pixel at $299. The stand may look nice on the Catleap, but my understanding is they're all pretty crap, but maybe I'm just saying that because PCBank has the ugliest stand (and bezel for that matter).

The panels are all the same, you should be expecting to use dual-link DVI, and with Perfect Pixels at $299, I don't see why you wouldn't jump in. I bought mine from green-sum since he's one of the larger resellers.

edit: v I've seen that thing about perfect pixel actually meaning no stuck pixels, not no dead pixels, but that image wasn't linked to on the auction I was buying from, and there's always the "full satisfaction guaranteed" disclaimer, so hopefully that gives me some leeway if in fact there is a problem. In the end, it probably won't matter either way.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jun 1, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

thegasman2000 posted:

I have had 2 Catleaps and both have been awesome. Duty was £30 though so remember that when you look at prices.
The US and and Korea have a free trade agreement, so I don't think there should be import tariffs.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Pzykotic posted:

Just got a 27" Yamakasi Catleap from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120911008070?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Ordered late Sunday night, arrived at my office (east coast) today! Awesome.

It really does look incredible, no dead pixels and glossy. Plugged it into my Hackintosh and it worked perfectly. Hopefully will work similarly on my gaming PC at home. Only complaint so far is a bit of a wobbly base, but it'll be on a mount soon enough anyway.
My PCBank arrived today. It was only delivered to DHL in Seoul on Wednesday. :wtc:

No dead pixels from my initial test. This is the hottest thing I've seen since Britney Spears before she went crazy.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's the best approach to buying a secondary monitor? Ideally, it would match your primary, but that's not practical for many from a price standpoint. I use my current secondary for 1) video/PDF/internet/spreadsheet when doing work on my primary, and 2) helpful information when gaming on my primary. With that in mind, it seems like I should get the biggest monitor I can afford, even if it's a "cheap" option like a 27" TN at 1920x1080.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

fookolt posted:

What's your current monitor's size and resolution?

Zhentar posted:

If you can't get an exact match, you should try to get something similar in pixel density, color characteristics (e.g. both using same backlight type), and quality. I also think it's a lot more comfortable to use if the resolutions on the shared edge are within about 50 pixels of each other, although I know plenty of people like to do one landscape, one portrait with matching 16:9 monitors.
A few weeks ago, I got a 23" Viewsonic VX2336s IPS 1920x1080 for $180 and planned to use an old 21.6" 1680x1050 TN as my secondary. That setup was fine. Then I discovered Korean monitors, got one, and it's been a glorious few days. I temporarily used the Viewsonic as my secondary, and while the resolution and size completely mismatched my Korean, the setup was fine. But when I boxed up the Viewsonic to be returned and plugged in the old 21.6", I felt cramped. I don't know if it was the size, resolution, both, TN, or being an old, yellowing panel with a scuff near the middle, but it was awful.

When I returned the Viewsonic today, they had a refurbed 27" Acer 1920x1080 TN, also for $180. I hadn't really budgeted for 2 monitors, and at $300, the Korean was more than I expected to spend, but it was a great long term value. Still, the 21.6" is just miserable, so the real question is whether to go with the Acer or another <$200 monitor. At that price, a 23" IPS is the best I can hope for; I didn't keep the Viewsonic because it had some purple fringing issues, and it looks like the LG 23" IPS is my only other option (other than a refurbed Dell 2312).

edit: v For perfect matching, you could get a 1440x900 monitor for $100 and use it in portrait mode. :v:

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 5, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

chippy posted:

Is calling monitors "1440p" and "1200p" etc. a thing now? I always thought 720p and and 1080p were marketing terms to sell HDTVs. Doesn't the p mean progressive? If that's the case, surely all computer monitors are "p"?
For me, it's just an easier way to indicate a resolution. I always take the p to mean 16:9.

edit: v I've always assumed that 720p means 1280x720, 900p means 1600x900, 1080p means 1920x1080, and 1440p means 2560x1440. Any other resolution needs to be described specifically.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Jun 6, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

A few weeks ago, I got a 23" Viewsonic VX2336s IPS 1920x1080 for $180 and planned to use an old 21.6" 1680x1050 TN as my secondary. That setup was fine. Then I discovered Korean monitors, got one, and it's been a glorious few days. I temporarily used the Viewsonic as my secondary, and while the resolution and size completely mismatched my Korean, the setup was fine. But when I boxed up the Viewsonic to be returned and plugged in the old 21.6", I felt cramped. I don't know if it was the size, resolution, both, TN, or being an old, yellowing panel with a scuff near the middle, but it was awful.

When I returned the Viewsonic today, they had a refurbed 27" Acer 1920x1080 TN, also for $180. I hadn't really budgeted for 2 monitors, and at $300, the Korean was more than I expected to spend, but it was a great long term value. Still, the 21.6" is just miserable, so the real question is whether to go with the Acer or another <$200 monitor. At that price, a 23" IPS is the best I can hope for; I didn't keep the Viewsonic because it had some purple fringing issues, and it looks like the LG 23" IPS is my only other option (other than a refurbed Dell 2312).
So after a couple days with the Korean monitor + Acer 1920x1080p dual 27" setup, I have some interesting thoughts.

Colors are different when running DPT, as we're comparing LED + IPS + glossy vs CCFL + TN + matte, but in practice, video quality isn't a problem on the Acer, at least while watching some 1080p trailers from Apple.

I was thinking that in the grand scheme of things, paying $140 more for a second Korean is kind of a no-brainer, but there are actually times where the pixel density on the Korean is a bit much, and the larger physical size of things on the Acer is a nice break for my eyes.

So all in all, the setup works for me, if not for most others.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Biggest human being Ever posted:

I checked out one of these listings today and the seller I looked at, green-sum, claimed to be some kind of official distributor of yamakasi, which made me wonder, are those korean IPS screens actually for sale in korea? Like, can you buy them in the big electronics stores next to Samsung, LG, BenQ etc. displays?
Yup. Most of these displays were destined for the PC cafe market. That's why some of the Catleaps come with a glass surface over the panel, so that idiots who spill drinks onto the screen don't ruin it.

It was either HardForum or Overclock.net where a Korean said they were familiar with PC Bank.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

There's a new Korean monitor on the block, QNIX, which sports a stand that tilts AND swivels :swoon:: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Qnix-27-LED-Monitor-Full-HD-2560x1440-high-resolution-S-IPS-DVI-dual-link-/200775098203

For 99% of people, the swivel is utterly useless, but in my case, it would make it easier to turn my monitor from being used at my desk to being watched from my bed. It's super tempting to get one to complement my PC Bank, but the reason I like my 27" Acer is because it's only 1920x1080. Ugh, mediocre stands are the worst. :negative:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

wooger posted:

I'm not a big fan of the look of this or the PC Bank, just because of the curve on the lower bezel.
I can understand how it might mess with the symmetry and lines, but I honestly don't notice it, probably because that's so far toward the periphery of my view.

quote:

Edit: Does anyone have experience with the Potalion model - I believe it's just a another variation with the same panel.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Perfect-P...#ht_15998wt_820
OCN has a thread on it and they seem to be ok.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

low-key-taco posted:

Anyone bought one of these Korean displays with HDMI ports on them? It would primarily be for the desktop computer but I do toss a console on my current 24" on occasion and I wonder if it'd be total crap on the ultra high res Korean monitors.
If you're going to spend $450 on a monitor, might as well get an Auria from Microcenter.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lord Grundle posted:

Can anyone recommend me a 24" 1080p monitor with decent built in speakers?

I understand the quality of built in speakers won't be the best but I usually wear headphones anyway and I would like speakers without taking up more space on my desk. I mainly use my computer for internet browsing and gaming so I suppose a TN panel would be fine. I'd say my maximum price would be $400 but I would prefer less than that if possible.
$400 is enough for an Auria at Microcenter or Korean monitor which are 2560x1440 with built in speakers. However, if you just want a normal 24" 1080p LCD, there are a bunch around $200: Newegg link

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

SubNat posted:

That reminds me:

I bought a PCbank Pb2700 Super, got it last week.

Quick rundown: Awesome, 2 bits of dust under the glass though, plus a small discolouration that's like 3x3 pixels,
plus 2 tiny scratches that are only visible in certain angles, speakers are a bit tinny, but functional for Alerts and stuff like that. They're pretty low.

It came with a DVI-D Dual cable that's 1M long or so, plus a 1.5 m-m minijack audio cable, the power adapter was there as well,
but not the actual power cable for the socket, oddly enough. The Adapter doesn't heat up or anything.

It hums on some websites with a lot of Black text on White background, like wikipedia, but thankfully not on SA ( Except for some OPs. )

Downloaded a .icc someone made for it, and the colours on this thing is just amazing, as is the viewing-angle.

Both gaming and viewing video on it is great, as long as you turn off the lights, since the screen is pretty drat reflective.

It's got Tilt and Swivel, it swivels very easily, and starts wobbling pretty easily as well. You need to use a bit of force to tilt the thing,
but once you've tilted it, it -stays- tilted, so that's good.

And for the make-or-break for some people: I bought it from Pallascopi, and it was Customs-Declared at 150USD.
Fedex shipped it ( And managed to send it to the wrong address here in Norway) And I still haven't heard a single peep from customs about it,
despite it having gone a week.

2560x1440 is pretty damned amazing, too... Now I just need something a bit newer than a 5850. ( By the by, the seller claimed it wasn't compatible, but it works perfectly)

Definitively worth it though, A, would buy again.
drat you people and your swiveling Korean monitors. :argh: My PCBank only had tilt. :smith:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

I got my Catleap in today. It's awesome so far, but it sits too high. What is the best way to lower it? I can't use a clamp, since I use an old metal office desk that has no over-hangs. Mine was also from GreenSum. Oddly enough, 4 of the pins on the DVI cable were bent, but I have another one I was gonna use anyway.
My PCBank sits too low. Let's trade :cool:

Looks like you'll have to use an aftermarket stand.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VulgarandStupid posted:

So, I've run into a strange problem. On my new Catleap monitor, when I try to play certain games, the cursor is not accurately showing. For example, in Mount and Blade, it just sits in the lower left quadrant. Menu items will highlight and operate correctly, but the cursor isn't moving at all. This is a huge problem, because I can't move around on the world map competently at all. In BF3, the cursor shows in the wrong place, but moves properly. This is rather annoying because if I have to adjust menus or choose who to spawn on, its now showing in the right place and it takes a lot of trial and error to get there. What is going on here? The game resolutions are set correctly.
If you can "move" the cursor so that other screen elements change (highlighting, being selected as you say) but the cursor itself doesn't move, that sounds like a software issue, not a monitor issue. Maybe try reinstalling/changing the drivers?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Has anyone checked out / used the monitor on sale in today's NewEgg email?

Asus 23" 1080p

It's Asus so I'm sure it's fine. $160 after the coupon...I'm using some ancient 22" 1680x1050 Acer and I'm sort in the mood to throw away a decent sized chunk of money.
23" TN for $160 is a little on the high side. This HP is $130: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176250

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Animal posted:

I have a Catleap ordered without the pixel warranty. I have not noticed any stuck or dead pixels, and have not looked for them. They are so small that you would have to hunt for them with a lot of attention.
I don't understand this "I haven't noticed any dead pixels." Don't you run a dead pixel test first thing? I use DPT.exe.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Have fun:
The FDA Defect Levels Handbook: Levels of natural or unavoidable defects in foods that present no health hazards for humans
code:
TOMATO PASTE, 	Drosophila fly	Average of 30 or more fly eggs per 100 grams
PIZZA AND 	(AOAC 955.46) 	OR
OTHER SAUCES			15 or more fly eggs and 1 or more maggots per 100 grams
				OR
				2 or more maggots per 100 grams in a minimum of
				12 subsamples

DEFECT SOURCE:  Pre-harvest and/or post harvest and/or processing insect infestation
SIGNIFICANCE:  Aesthetic
Fruit flies aren't a big deal. :gonk:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

UndyingShadow posted:

Unless you're blind or using it for video, 1080p at 27" will likely drive you crazy.
I have a 27" 1080p Acer along with my 27" Korean and sometimes I actually prefer its modest DPI. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

298298 posted:

The OP and every link I've read says the Crossover's stand is the best of the Korean monitors, but it also says the other monitor's stands are complete poo poo. So is the Crossover's stand actually good or just comparatively? If I'd need to buy a new stand anyway I'd rather go with the Cat Leap for its faster refresh rate.
My PCBank has one of the "worst" stands but it's still fine for normal use. The only thing I wish it had was swivel but that's less of an issue since it's already sitting on a book. You shouldn't go with a more expensive option because of the "stand".

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

TheRevolution1 posted:

Thinking of buying one of the 2560x1440 korean monitors and have a few questions.

How much will it suck to game at 2560x1440 with a gtx 560 ti(not 448 edition)?

How bad will games look scaled down to 1920x1080 on that screen?
I have a Korean running on a 560 Ti (3570K and 8GB RAM) and it runs D3 just fine with everything on. SC2 is even easier.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

rawrr posted:

The Acer seems to be a TN panel, so it's literally not in the same league as an IPS panel. That said, Dell monitors go on sale regularly, so you can probably buy new for not much more than the refurb price.
I feel like I have to chime in on the TN/IPA conversation. For 8 years, I was laptop only with various 15.4" 1920x1200 Dells. In May, I built a desktop.

My initial monitor purchase was a Viewsonic 23" 1080p IPS. It was quite a bit nicer than the old 21.6" TN I used as a secondary, but I wasn't sure IPS was worth it.

Then I got a Korean monitor and loved it, but after a few days using the Viewsonic as my secondary, I once again wasn't sure IPS was worth it. When I went to return the Viewsonic, they had a 27" Acer 1080p TN refurb, so I bought that.

Two months later, the fact that the Acer is TN only comes up when there's a viewing angle issue. Of course its colors aren't as good as the Korean, but it's still my secondary which means I play most of my video content on it. Still, longer/higher res content is played on my Korean.

Bottom line? If you don't own an IPS monitor and you consume a lot of video/photo content, get one. If you already have one, it's not as important for your secondary.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

VodeAndreas posted:

drat, how's the OSD on it? Mentions that it has one unlike some of the cheaper ones... I'm almost leaping at that, just got my tax return.
The panel itself looks identical to my PCBank, in which case the "controls" adjust brightness, volume, and nothing else.

It has less tilt than my PCBank (double-hinge stand design) but it has swivel, which I'm kind of really jealous of. :colbert:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What's the problem with sRBG? :confused:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

peepsalot posted:

I'm about to pull the trigger on a 27" korean IPS.

I am looking at this one, but not 100% sure if it comes with the right power adapter. The title says "FREE Voltage", so uhhh I think maybe that means US power adapter? The image towards the bottom also appears to be a US-style plug, but it is a very small pic and I'm not sure how accurate all the pics are on these ebay posts. Anyone know?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACHIEVA-Shi...ht_15763wt_1163
The AC adapter typically handles 110-230V, but you'll have to supply your own US 3-prong power cable, the same type that you use for your power supply.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Martello posted:

What's the deal with these "Korean 30-inchers" and "catleaps?" I can't find a whole lot of info on Google.
The OP talks about Korean monitors in detail.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Martello posted:

Sorry, should have read the OP better. They sound pretty awful to me. I'm quite fine with spending the extra 400-500 bones for an awesome warranty and the security of buying a quality product.
It's not that they're awful. They're the bare bones version of the 27" 2560x1440 monitor. You don't get a OSD, you don't get a nice stand, and you don't get a warranty. What you do get is a fantastic panel for $300 or so, and for those of us that don't have the budget for a $750 monitor, some of us are willing to take the risk.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Martello posted:

Oh, they're only 300? I guess that makes more sense. I thought I saw someone say 600. The UltraSharp 30-inch I bought on Amazon was 1100. I'm thinking of getting a second one in a few months, putting 'em side-by-side, and then mounting my old 22-inch on the wall above them for ultimate ridiculous movie-hacker decor.

Note: Not a hacker.
Oh, if you're talking about the 30" models, yeah, they're not $300, but I don't think anyone in this thread has bought a 30" yet.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

I see the listed viewing angle on the 2412M is 178 degrees horizontal and vertical. Any idea if that's correct? It sounds like the only place you wouldn't have a good view of those is from behind, which, if that's the case, would be awesome.
Usually viewing angles refer to "what angle can you see some light coming out", not "what angle can you see a faithful reproduction of the image." Viewing angles are something you'll have to check in person or through reviews.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Gangringo posted:

If theres a way I can get one that isn't fully glossy though I'll take it. My current monitor is sort of the Catleap of 4-5 years ago, the Soyo Topaz S. It too was a no-frills cheap alternative to the name brands in a size and resolution (24", 1920x1200) that was usually limited to $1000+ monitors at the time. A couple years later I got a second 24" monitor, this time a HP, and I hated the glossy screen even though in ideal conditions it was in every way a better monitor. Today I still use the Topaz and I sold the HP to my dad who doesn't care about the glare.
Haha, I'm pretty sure my roommate has that monitor. 24" and 1920x1200 certainly isn't bad, but it's very obviously TN and if you're going to get a large monitor for media consumption, you've got to go IPS.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dr. Lenin posted:

What's the best way to search for dead pixels on an IPS monitor? Just toss up a full screen pure white image and look really closely?
I've been using Dead Pixel Tester for a number of years. Also good for testing if your camera has a bad sensor pixel.

http://www.download3k.com/Install-Dead-Pixel-Tester.html

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

n/m I'm dumb

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mr. Fix It posted:

Most video cards can handle the scaling themselves. Barring that, run everything in native :v:
The question about scaling always confused me. Have people never tried running an LCD in non-native res? What did they think happened when they went into Display Properties and changed the resolution?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

dissss posted:

Depends on whether the graphics card is doing the scaling, or the monitor itself. A lot of the time its done on the monitor
Maybe I'm the confused one. When you first installed Windows XP on, say, a 1280x1024 LCD back in 2006, the first time you booted into Windows, it would be running at something like 800x600 but that would take up the whole screen. Isn't that the video card doing the scaling?