Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Newegg has 10% off IPS monitors with code EMCXRXL25, including the U3011 which makes it just under $1000. I might just buy another.

e: I did! Here's the link to the entire sale:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-MECH-_-IPS-L2A

Ooh, nice catch!

I'm looking at the U3011, but I'm a bit nervous about the input lag; the TFT guys clock it at 24.4ms. I'm not a FPS guy, but I'm slightly concerned that it'll be noticeable in other stuff too---RTS, action/adventure a la Dark Souls, etc. Am I being paranoid, or is this really worth worrying about?

(I do have a U2311 that I'll probably still use for FPS/shmups where input lag is a huge deal---those guys say it's 15ms faster.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Thanks guys for the advice on the U3011. I got it in now, and there is noticeable lag, but it's not unusable---I'll get used to it.

And holy jesus it's so big!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

God dammit I should have bought that 3rd U3011. And a new desk.

How would this even work? I just got a U3011, and I don't really look at my old U2311 all that much, just because the U3011 is so huge. I mean, gently caress, I don't even have my browser open on the whole screen most of the time---it's just too much room to have to read.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I was doing some research on buying a new gaming monitor, and I have become very confused about the topic of input lag.

The only games where I really care about performance are shmups. For shmups, input lag is extremely important and all other considerations are much less so. (Actually, probably the second-most important factor after input lag is being able to rotate the screen, but if I really need that I can just buy a new mount for any monitor.) Most shmups are played in exclusive full screen through an emulator, but some are played in windowed mode. Either way, input lag is the most important factor. I hear that adaptive sync is important to control input lag in windowed games on Windows 10, due to DWM, but I don't know much about this topic. Shmups almost all run at 60 FPS natively.

Right now, I have an LG 27UK850-W. Let's say I were to buy a Gigabyte M28U, which I saw recommended earlier. RTINGS reports input lag of 5.9ms with adaptive sync, which is better than my old LG's 9.2ms. But at 60hz, it reports 15.4ms, which is actually much worse than the monitor I have today.

Does this mean that if I play a game at 60hz with exclusive fullscreen enabled, it'll suffer from increased input lag? Does this number include the inherent additional average input lag of having a lower refresh rate? In other words, if a 60hz display had literally zero additional input lag, I would still observe (1 second / 60) * (1/2) input lag on average, which comes out to around 8.3ms; I'm not sure if that's included in the measurements. Does it apply to windowed or borderless games, too? I assume not, since my native desktop refresh rate would presumably be the maximum refresh rate available.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

That is a good point, thanks. To be honest, I can probably do without rotation if I have a 27”+ monitor; my desk isn’t big enough that I can really use all of the effective extra size. But it’s certainly nice to have.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

So, first thing to understand is that monitor latency is just one part of a system's total input-to-photon latency. The total latency includes input lag from your input device, processing lag from your computer taking that input, recognizing it, the game engine processing the effect, and then drawing a new frame using that information and sending it to the frame buffer, where it will wait to be drawn. With that in mind, I think the input lag results from these reviewers are not accounting for the actual frame rate of the source image, since that may be variable even at a fixed refresh rate. If you hover over the question mark next to the input lag results on RTINGS, you will see them describe it as the "lowest input lag possible" for this reason (if the monitor receives an input the nanosecond before the deadline for drawing the next frame, I suppose).

So I think that these results just account for monitor-induced input lag, which means image processing time (practically nil on most monitors unless the manufacturer hosed something up, which happens sometimes), the refresh process itself (for RTINGS, that's how long it takes for the monitor to draw a frame up to the midpoint of the panel, since frames are drawn in over time, line-by-line), and response time is mixed up in that as well (even after a pixel in a frame is "drawn", it takes time for it to transition from its previous color to the new color, which is the response time).

The average time it takes for a new frame to begin drawing in is based on your frame rate and is thus considered lag time generated by the source device and not the monitor itself, though obviously the monitor's refresh rate provides a hard cap on how many frames can be shown per second. It's important to draw a distinction here between frame rate and refresh rate because you can still do 60fps content at 120hz or 240hz if you want, which should give you less input lag. Even though the monitor is receiving frames at the same rate, it is drawing them in more quickly.

In my opinion, if you're playing a shmup, then you should set the refresh rate to 120hz, turn variable refresh rate off, and then let the game play at 60fps. This will give you better response times and faster frame drawing, though you may end up with some frame pacing issues depending on the game (unless it supports half-refresh vsync, which not many games do, especially not shmups as far as I'm aware). Though you also shouldn't fret too much about a few milliseconds here and there. Total input-to-photon latency is often well above 50ms at 60hz/60fps, and not even the pro-est of pros can tell the difference between 50ms total input lag and 53ms, so it's just not worth worrying too much about.

Thanks. This is all very helpful.

I will try not to worry too much about input lag. I can definitely notice one frame at 60fps but beyond that would be difficult to consciously notice; unconsciously I'm sure something like 8ms would still affect my play slightly, but 3ms? Maybe not.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Well, I decided what I wanted was the LG 27GP950-B. Only it turns out the drat thing is sold out everywhere!

That's my mistake for actually doing research :v:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Speaking of LG, I just managed to finally order a 27GP950-B, but it's a "27GP950-B.AUS", so I'm afraid it'll start talking like Steve Irwin.

Does LG produce some monitors in Australia or something like that?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I’m going to be totally honest here: I don’t know what IPS glow is, and I’m afraid to Google it to find out for fear that it’ll make me hate my existing IPS monitors.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I really love 4K, and would never dream of buying a lower-resolution monitor in 2022. But the reason I say that is for general computing work: word processing, programming, Internet browsing, chatting on Discord. I only play games that are expensive to render on my television, so the arguments against 4K for gaming don’t affect me, but I can completely see how they’d drive someone who does play games on their PC to want a 1440p monitor.

Everyone has different needs.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

This is just me, but I've never understood why someone would prefer a size above 28" or so. I mean, can't you just move the monitor closer to your face?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Ironically, I think 4K is a better idea if you mostly play old or indie games than it is if you mostly play new, graphically intensive ones. After all, you don’t need a great GPU to play Slay the Spire or Dead Cells, even at a high resolution.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

The only problem is how on earth to hide the incredibly ugly, giant HDMI cable going across your entire apartment, which is the primary interior decorating dilemma that has haunted me for the past eight years at least

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Taima posted:

OLED is great and I game on one hooked up to my PC but if you ask me, high ppi is the move for productivity if we’re talking premium options.

I definitely agree with this. It doesn’t matter what the subpixel layout looks like; I’d still much rather stay at 4K or better for reading or writing.

e: I do kind of feel bad that monitors are getting dinged for unconventional subpixel layouts when it’s really the fault of the software rendering the text. I wonder if we’ll ever see a spec where monitors can tell the PC what their layout is, and the OS can pick its text rendering strategy accordingly.

nrook fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 8, 2022

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Lily Catts posted:

I'm moving soon and I now have the option to get a good home workstation, primarily for gaming, dev, and streaming. Planning to get something like a 160 x 80cm desk, though I may have to decrease the width to 60cm once we've gotten the feel of the space (there is a TV on one side and me and my chair might block its view).

That said I'm looking to get a monitor. 144/165hz, 1ms, IPS, whatever neat bells and whistles gaming monitors have, and I'm thinking either 24 or 27-inch. Reading up, it seems that a 27-inch monitor at 1080p might be too big, and with that size 1440p is recommended, but I'm not super sure if my gaming laptop (RTX 3070) can run FFXIV smoothly at 1440p--on average it does 70-99 fps on 1080p, but I'm adding a monitor here and planning to still use the laptop display.

Conservatively, should I just get 24" 1080p? Honestly I've never gone more than 22", so I'm pretty anxious about the jump in size. If that doesn't work for me I could get a 27" next--planning to use a second monitor for streaming my Switch games or watching wrestling on the side anyway.

This may sound strange, but while there is a reasonable case to be made that 1440p is the sweet spot for gaming right now, for programming or business I would not accept a monitor that isn't 4K. It just makes such a big difference to how readable text is.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Something I still don’t understand is why more games don’t support different resolutions for 3D and non-3D content. My understanding is that this is ubiquitous on consoles, to keep the UI looking sharp, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it on a PC game.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I used to live in Manhattan and my view sucked; I’d go with the OLED

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Zotix posted:

I'd like to run some troubleshooting through with you guys before I do an RMA this week.

Symptoms: Occasional flickering in game either while game is full screen windowed or if game is borderless window but not the active window.

Things I've tried:
Reinstalled Windows was on W10, now on W11.
Cleaned case
Moved video card socket
Changed port on video card.
Changed display port cable.
Updated drivers
Turned off G-Sync in Nvidia Experience and capping FPS at 141.

It appears that if I turn off G-Sync the issue goes away. The monitor(LG 34GP950G-B) never did this up until ~1 month ago. I turned G-Sync back on today, and the issue re-appeared. I can test with my other G-sync monitor later today, but I'll need to re-arrange a few things. I feel like maybe there's an issue with the G-Sync module and it needs to be replaced?

I have a 27GP950-B, which I assume is similar, and I saw flickering rarely until I disabled DSC, at which point it went away entirely. So you might try that.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Zotix posted:

How do you disable it? Is it in Nvidia settings, or the monitor settings?

It's in the monitor settings, under DisplayPort, IIRC. I also had to change my resolution settings on my PC to fit in 1.4 by turning color depth down. I can't tell the difference anyway.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

K8.0 posted:

AFAIK there is still a latency penalty to borderless windowed, but it is much smaller now, and very small with modern games which are handling it the way MS wants it handled. Anything really competitive you are generally slightly better off in fullscreen, but it's typically a very minor deal at this point, especially if you're using VRR.

Yeah, I can’t tell the difference in latency between borderless and exclusive fullscreen for games running on the newest DirectX, but I still prefer exclusive for certain older games if I’m playing them really seriously.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Looking at your picture, rather than the Alienware or the LG C1, I would consider an Aeron :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I don't have an OLED monitor (in 2023, I will never use a resolution below 4K again) but when I bought a new TV, my eyes legitimately ached a bit after watching it until I adjusted after a week. They're bright!