Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Wasabi the J posted:

OLEDs also suffer from the different colors aging at different rates, so a screen could have lots of color distortion years later.

this is not an issue with newer style OLEDs where white light is phosphoresced into colors, so there's only one type of LED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Its not because of a phospher coating but the underlying issue (getting dimmer with use) is the same.

e: beaten

is there a source for the overall dimming anywhere? i know the differential aging is solved by using a white led w/ filters

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Etrips posted:

Ohhhh DP 1.4. Wonder how long it will be before we see them on widescreens to get that 144hz goodness.

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/vesa-releases-displayport-1-4-spec-allowing-8kp60hz.html

DSC = visually lossless compression = artifacts lmao

they dont want to bite the bullet and go for the bandwidth

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

xthetenth posted:

And how do you expect them to get the bandwidth? Active cables?

more lanes or finally switch to optical cables.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Have you read the whitepaper on it? They ran blind a/b tests, it should be fine. The alternative is $100 cables....

i'll wait til reviews but i dont hold out hope. lossy compression is difficult to do without losing perceptible detail somewhere.

or have multiple passive cables. each dp 1.3 cable can handle 33 gbps so having 3 is not exactly problematic for static desktops, but it's irritating.

it's possible to do 3:1 and 4:1 actually lossless compression using software like lagarith but since hardware is ruled by cost we can't have nice things :negative:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Hi Jinx posted:

Another issue is that lossless can never really guarantee any sort of reduction.E.g if your source data is random, it will not compress at all. You can't have your display hardware throw its hands in the air and proclaim that it'll drop a few frames because they couldn't be compressed sufficiently.

Lossless compression is nice and all, but if you want guaranteed results your algorithm has to be lossy.

sure if you're sending over random data. dropping a frame here or there might be preferable

DSC is a stopgap until bandwidth issues over monitor cables is fixed by optical or active cables. it's like interlacing, it blows.

also there's bound to be motion issues and poo poo. if even a lil stuck pixel is annoying, imagine a degraded line of text

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Mar 4, 2016

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

xthetenth posted:

If she really needs actual space on that sort of budget, I'd consider something like a 40"+ 4K, or maybe an ultrawide because a 27 inch 4K doesn't add room so much as sharpness. If a new computer needs budget room even a 1440p 27" would be a big step up. How much physical room does she have for a screen?

I agree with the big screen then computer to support it, 1920x1200 just isn't going to be that much room, and nothing's going to change it, just stretch it out.

4K at the same dpi is 4x usable real estate assuming you have eagle eyes

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

froody guy posted:

Taken from some old discussion

and this is from the guy at TFTCentral writing the reviews (the link is from a discussion before the X34 was out, so he was guessing too)

edit:

I'm pretty sure I've read about gsync using its own buffer but I can't remember where so I don't know if it can do all the magic using simply the front buffer. I think it's not just the FB though.

gsync is a real loving expensive fpga

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Bad drivers don't account for the monitor not detecting any of my cables except the ghetto VGA!

french cables use reversed bits

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Lol 2k in q3?? Not happening like that Dell OLED.

gently caress I spent less on my 4k her TV than that

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

P2715q trip report: displayport impl is hosed up and no hdmi2

Don't buy

Got a pb2727uq and it owns

Better build but not USB 3 hub :/

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

The Milkman posted:

This post is barely comprehensible but what's wrong with the DisplayPort? It's what I use at work

Paul MaudDib posted:

The P2715Q disconnects when you power it off, the DisplayPort spec says you're not supposed to do that, you should always respond to an EDID probe.

Yeah this

And since there's no HDMI 2.0 if that fucks with your graphics card (gtx 980ti) you're kicked down to 30hz

Just buy the Asus. Its actually better built

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Hmm hope it doesn't have the display port issues

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Also it doesn't get anywhere near as bright as needed for hdr10--350 nits is not great

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

eames posted:

Nvidia appears to be the driving force behind those monitors and HDR10 was one of their spec requirements. These are their flagship G-Sync monitors that'll launch together with their new generation of GPUs.

https://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-announced-at-ces-2017

I'd hope that you could disable HDR and use them as normal SDR screens if money is no object and you don't want to sear your retinas with 1000 nits in a dark room. I'm sure cheaper SDR models will become available in the next months/years but I haven't seen any announcements yet.
HDr >>> 144hz

Fight me nerds

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

144hz >>> 4K >>> 2000$ >>> HDR

Sorry about your broken eyes and crippling poverty

4k HDR is fundamentally better than the 1080p and 1440p trash panels that are being sold for $700. Having group eyes assaulted at twice the speed is just icing on the cake.

Cannot wait for the second generation of these displays to iron out the inevitable kinks.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

TenementFunster posted:

yes, I've asked the same question many times before and will ask it periodically until I receive a helpful answer. this is absolutely not a troll. i am looking a monitor for someone who needs a monitor and the most important factor is the monitor not be made in the people's republic of china. does anyone know of a monitor for sale that isn't made in china? thank you.

No, op

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Cabling matters for display port. Get something VESA certified. Amazon basics or club3d are good

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Malloc Voidstar posted:

Are there any recommended DisplayPort cable brands? I'm looking for a 10ft DisplayPort cable to run a 1080p monitor at 240Hz (Acer XB252Q). AmazonBasics reviews say it won't work, Monoprice reviews say theirs won't work, random brands have reviews saying theirs won't work. Who do I buy from?

edit: the certified product database found me one manufacturer so far that sells to consumers, $27 for the cable, now to keep looking

Club3d

Anything VESA certified really. 1080p240 is the same as 4k60.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

LG finally has a 4k HFR display. Since their panels are the best around, hopefully we don't see the garbage quality of AUO anymore

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

People who want 32 inch 4k don't understand you can scale dpi in 2020.

27 lets you use multiple monitors. It's a more versatile size they can sell into business

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

BadMedic posted:

Apologies if this has already been answered, but is the Eve Spectrum legit? It looks really good but...

Throwing 20 bucks to crowdfund an indie game is one thing, but $630 USD to preorder a crowdfunded monitor is sketching me out. I don't want to risk losing that much money.

Also I've been looking at the Pixio PX7, does anyone here have any experiences with it?

I threw $100 at it for the 4k version. I'm ready to lose that much at most.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1560683-REG/lg_27gn950_b_27_ultragear_4k_nano.html

Reasonably priced. Not $2000. No hdmi 2.1 though.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

bolind posted:

I'm looking for opinions on the LG 34WK95U-W. It's strictly for business/office use. No gaming.

$1500 is a lot. You could buy 2 4k 27" and go dual monitor for 50% less

IIRC it had some issue with thunderbolt controllers in macbooks which is likely 90% of their target market

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

it's just a quadratically diminishing effects type situation, there really are diminishing returns past ~60fps, but 80fps is notably better than 60fps, and 144 fps is notably better than 80, etc.

there will still be returns from moving to 800 hz monitors, but people will complain that moving from 500 hz to 800 hz really isn't worth it and is diminishing returns, cheapskates should stay with their 280 hz monitors, etc.

OLED is a lot a lot faster at pixel response times. We could actually have 480 hz monitors with pixel response times that can support that. OLED transition times are less than a millisecond.

overall motion clarity >> raw fps. CRT don't go 144fps but still are nicer for motion

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

K8.0 posted:

I mean if we were living a world where you could buy a 4k 200hz VRR CRT, sure that'd be the ideal gaming monitor. In reality, the only scenario where I see a real argument for a CRT is for retro gaming where you can't benefit from modern technology, and you are often dealing with non-square pixel aspect ratios. Even then, I'd only recommend it if you enjoy personally maintaining a CRT.

well, quite: there's literally no reason to have a 100000hz display if the motion clarity is rear end

i'd rather have 120fps with BFI than 240hz with smeary poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

DeadlyHalibut posted:

I got my LG 27GL850 and it's pretty great! The monitor stand is questionable but its not as bad as I thought, once you set it up you can pretty much ignore it.

Do I benefit something from keeping the LG software (onscreen control) on and do I need to update it regularly?

If you want to control the monitor inside windows keep it otherwise it's unnecessary