Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm about to get a Dell UltraSharp U2414H after some recommendations and looking things up online. Does that sound like a good call? I'm kinda clueless as far as screens are concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

DrDork posted:

This thread would be remiss if no one recommended you look the Dell UltraSharp line. While the newest offerings are probably a little outside your budget at ~$250, you can easily pick up one of the past model years, like the U2412M or a gently used U2414H or U2415 for <$200.

Note that the ASUS VG245H is a TN monitor, while the Dell UltraSharp line are all IPS, so you're going to get noticeably better colors out of the Dells than from the ASUS. As you have a NVidia card you will not be able to use FreeSync on the ASUS (or any) monitor, and Fallout/D3 aren't particularly demanding of super-ultra-low response times/latency (which the Dells are fine for, anyhow).

I actually just bought the Dell U2414H and it's great, but I'm noticing some vertical scan lines on certain colors. specially this kind of light blue:

I've already set it to the pre-calibrated sRGB mode and calibrated sharpness and gamma myself. Is this normal in IPS? Or is it a problem with my settings or the monitor?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I haven't returned my defective screen yet (Dell U2414H IPS, it has vertical scanlines on some blue and orange colors) cause I'm trying to figure out if I want to get a replacement or just go for a different one.

The thing is, I feel like it hurts my eyes. Right now it's at 15 brightness, 70 contrast and it still feels too bright and my eyes get tired quickly. But if I lower it any further the colors start to fade and it just looks lovely. I'm just not sure if that's because this particular screen is defective or my eyes just aren't suited for this monitor/IPS in general. It's weird though, I never had any problems with my old TFT and IPS is supposed to be easier on the eyes.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I bought a Dell U2414H IPS screen recently and it was defective. It had weird vertical scanlines that were quite noticeable in certain colors (blue and orange mostly), so I returned it. That said, that's not what bothered me the most about it. My main issue with it was that it gave me eye fatigue really quickly, after an hour or so, even after dropping the brightness to 20 and selecting the factory-calibrated color settings.

My old monitor, which I went back to after returning that one is a Samsung B2230W. It's a pretty old LCD TFT screen but I've never had any problems with it. I can use it for hours at a time without any noticeable eye strain.

I know IPS is supposed to cause less eye fatigue but that's definitely not been my experience. Could that have something to do with the scanlines defect or is IPS just not for me? And if it's the latter, would a TN screen be more similar to LCD TFT?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So I ended up buying an Ezio EV2450. It's pretty good but I think the colors or contrast could use some tweaking. What's the best site to calibrate it manually? Could I download a color profile or something that'll be close enough or do I have to do it myself?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Vintersorg posted:

Are these ICC Profiles at TFTcentral worth a drat?

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/icc_profiles/eizo_ev2450.icc

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/eizo_ev2450.htm

Also, gonna pull the plug on the ACER Predator this weekend cause it's the only one in stock locally and the 2 year replacement warranty is great at Memory Express becuase if they dont have it in they just give you a brand new monitor that is equivalent.

I didn't realize they were right there in that site :downs: That seems better than what I had, thanks!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I'm looking for a 1440p screen, probably 144hz with free sync and 27 inches. Meant for both work and gaming. Is there anything I should look into? I haven't researched monitors for a while.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I've found a good deal on a Samsung Odyssey G7 27", is there any reason not to pull the trigger on it?

I'm not sure about the curvature since I've never owned one of those and I'm gonna be using this for working, media and browsing, not just gaming. I'll also be using a flat 1080p 24 inch monitor as a 2nd screen.

Otherwise it looks really good though, I'm tempted.

Elman fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Jun 23, 2023

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

K8.0 posted:

This monitor linked a few posts up is definitely a good buy. Maybe give it a day or two for other people to chime in, but that's probably the current best buy.

I ended up deciding against a curved screen and I'm looking for something similar. This one's a bit more expensive in my region though. I'm considering an LG UltraGear 27GR75Q-B, does that seem like a good choice?

Elman fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 2, 2023

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

SourKraut posted:

What's the price difference? I'm honestly surprised, since Acer is usually always quite a bit cheaper than the "equivalent" LG option, which in this case would be the 27GP83B I believe.

It's just not in stock so the only available ones are overpriced. I'd have to order it from the UK and that'd make it €370 vs the LG's 300.

Alternatively I've just found this one at €300, which seems pretty solid too.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

SourKraut posted:

What's the price difference? I'm honestly surprised, since Acer is usually always quite a bit cheaper than the "equivalent" LG option, which in this case would be the 27GP83B I believe. The one you linked appears to be a stripped down version of the LG 27GP83B, for example it's 8 bit with no FRC, has worse sRGB, etc. So it'll look worse than the Acer that was linked, also, as well as a little worse than the 27GP83B it's meant to possibly "replace".

So it all comes down to your use case, etc.

I think I'm gonna get a LG 27GP850-B, which is essentially the same as 27GP83B as far as I can tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I bought a LG 27GP850-B and I'm really happy with it except right after you turn it on it has some subtle vertical scanlines for a minute or two. They quickly go away and it's perfectly fine after that. Is this normal?