Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
Has anyone here got any experience ordering Hazro monitors outside of Europe? I'm extremely interested in the HZ27WA, which panel-wise seems to be essentially the same thing as the Apple Cinema Display, but it seems like they don't really deal with Australians so I'm a bit worried about post-sales support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
I've got around $1000 AUD to blow on a 2560x1440 monitor. I'm looking at the Dell 27" Ultrasharp but people keep bitching about the anti-glare. How heavy is the Dell 27" anti-glare compared to the Dell U2211H or U2311H? I live in Australia so finding demo units of the beast is basically impossible.

I'd love an Apple Cinema Display but the lack of video inputs makes it a less tempting proposition (plus its like $600 more expensive than the Dell).

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
I've used one before and its pretty nice as a standalone monitor. It has lots of inputs, no thick anti-glare, and its an 1920x1080 IPS screen. Because its from Dell, you can get it for less than $300 if you use coupons.

The touchscreen capabilities are useless though, thanks to Windows 7 not being a touchscreen based operating system and the drivers are pretty flakey. Last time I checked, it doesn't work at all with Mac OS but why would you, the operating system works much better with a trackpad.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
I'm certain NVinspector has a specific option to "fix" the problematic GPU(s) because it seems to be a fairly widespread problem with high end nVidia cards.

It seems with the market only caring about benchmarks, GPU companies don't really care about stability or checking elementary values. I've looked into the hardware acceleration and multi-monitor problem my friend was having with his reference AMD 5850 and it turns out that the card's BIOS has the incorrect values for AMD PowerPlay to operate correctly.

Obviously we're not going to try flashing a perfectly good (and expensive) GPU so we just created a new profile within Catalyst, opened the profile.txt file, and changed the VRAM values to something sensible.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
Just a heads up but HP seems to be launching a 27" 16:9 LED backlit IPS panel on their website.

Seems pretty nice if you don't need all those features you get from other non-Apple professional 27" monitors because in true HP fashion it has nothing but USB ports, Displayport, and DVI.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

zachol posted:

A pound is about one and a half dollars (1.6), so that's a twinge under a thousand dollars.

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884471-5163694.html

Turns out its $730 holy poo poo. No idea about the actual response time, it doesn't seem like it uses overdrive judging by HP's given specs, but if you need a 27" computer monitor it looks pretty nice.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
The "blue tint" you're seeing is probably a result of the LED backlighting. I haven't really seen a LED backlit monitor that doesn't have cold bluish whites.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Megasabin posted:

2. For IPS I'm seriously debating the vs HP ZR2740W vs. U2412M. I care more about picture quality than screen size. I can't seem to find any good comparisons though.

Thanks

I've seen both the HP ZR2440W (this is what you mean right?) and the Dell U2412M. In terms of picture quality, I think the HP is slightly better due to lighter antiglare but your mileage may vary. Besides that, they're exactly the same, which isn't surprising since I think they use the same eIPS panel. The main difference are the features.

The two things the HP monitor has that the Dell monitor doesn't is a functional scaler as well as coaxial + 3.5mm analogue audio outputs. So if you have a PS3 console, the HP is easily the better choice since the PS3 will stretch its 16:9 image on the 16:10 Dell Ultrasharp. If its just for computer use, I think the Dell U2412M is definitely the better choice: its cheaper, it performs just as well, and you don't need features that tend to introduce more input lag.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Priam posted:

Both the ZR2440W and U2412m have the same AG coating, they both use the same panel from LG. There shouldn't be any difference between the two displays besides the ZR24W having 1:1 pixel mapping and an extra input.

Yes, I've mentioned that both are using exactly the same panels. However, historically HP's variants have slightly less intrusive antiglare coating than their Dell equivalents and this still seems to be true. When I checked a Dell and HP side by side, the HP was undoubtedly better despite the fact both were still extremely grainy. It could very well be a placebo pr something so ymmv.

Samsung's new PLS monitors are very good but if you're not bothered by the antiglare coating, they don't actually offer all too much. Whatever the problem may be, the current build quality/QA of the two PLS monitors are miles behind their business IPS friends.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
99% sure the Xbox 360 can output 1080P content with added black bars. For a PS3, the monitor will require a proper scaler hardware within the monitor to prevent stretching of content.

As for your second question, you can just use a HDMI to DVI adapter since HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI. Its what I use to hook my PS3 to my 16:9 monitor and it works fine.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
None of these really have significantly thinner anti-glare. I remember people, like Prad and TFTCentral, talked up how the Asus ProArt monitors had thinner anti-glare. Its definitely thinner but still disappointingly thick. The only real option are Samsung's PLS monitors or glossy alternatives like Hazro, Apple, and the Dell ST2220T.

All of these 23" IPS monitors will be 6-bit + AFRC. You can generally tell the bit depth by the price alone.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
They're H-IPS monitors so they're definitely true 8 bit monitors. If they're really the same as the Hazro monitors, the monitor with the extra connections will even be 8 bit + AFRC.

Hazro monitors are very cheap compared to the competition as well. $500-650 for a 2560x1440 H-IPS monitor? You'd be lucky for find a decent Dell one for $800.

I imagine they achieve such a low price point because their warranty is dog balls, the build quality is obviously cheaper to Dell and Apple equivalents, and they're not really aiming for affluent consumer/professional market.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Factory Factory posted:

Uh, we're talking about the U2312HM, aren't we? I was mixing it up with the U2311H re: 6-bit vs. 8-bit, but it's still only sRGB. And 8-bit processing is still less expensive than 10-bit on wide-gamut displays.

I'm pretty sure he's (we're) talking about that Korean 1440P monitor that goes for peanuts and everyone wants to do a group order for. It's like $230 USD from Gmarket, a South Korean computer hardware dealer. The blokes doing the group order want to get the unit price under $400 due to the taxes they're likely going to incur.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Feb 21, 2012

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
Yeah pretty much. My university basically buys new IPS screens alongside their desktop fleet; when HP desktops were common, we had tons of ZR series monitors and now we've got Ultrasharps everywhere. They recently got a whole batch of U2312HMs + desktops and replaced the remaining 4:3 monitors and dying Core 2 Duo desktops.

I could blind but the Dell U2312HM looks extremely unimpressive next to last generation's Dell U2311H. I really think the monitor kind of looks like a TN screen just without the horrible vertical viewing angles...not sure if that's enough to cancel out the nasty LG antiglare coating.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 10:18 on May 2, 2012

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

americanoWsugar posted:

Does anyone know anything about the new Samsung series 9 monitor? It looks incredible.

You mean the S27A970, right?

There's only really three things I think that are interesting about it: tempered glass w/ antiglare treatment, seemingly better build quality than the troubled SA850, and hardware calibration. Without a proper review of the product, its hard to say how good/bad these three things actually are.

Besides that, I'll bet that its your typical professional level PLS/IPS monitor...only more obtuse to use than usual. It doesn't have pivot or swivel, VESA mounting options, and the OSD buttons are located on the stand's neck. I guess it makes the monitor look aesthetically better but I can't imagine the buttons being particularly easy to access.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

pokecapn posted:

What 1920x1200 IPS monitor with Component inputs do you recommend then?

Possibly the best idea is to get a 1920x1200 IPS monitor + an external scaler box that can deal with component inputs (maybe Altona?). The U2410 has bad black depth + low contrast so its not particularly amazing for multimedia needs unless you love wide gamut.

I actually don't agree with the IPS train that is happening right now as I think most IPS monitors (i.e. U2312HM) actually look worse than the best TN monitors outside of wider vertical viewing angles.

I've currently got a NEC LCD2690wuxi2, a wide gamut IPS monitor with 5 levels of DUE, and in terms of non-professional use, its definitely worse than newer IPS monitors that actually have respectable contrast ratios. It actually looks worse than the U2412M next to it for multimedia usage.

Dotcom656 posted:

Aside from overclocking them to get 80Hz refresh rate is there any other reason Catleaps are no good? I know the stands are lovely and I hope I can easily replace it. But there's no glaring defects are there?

Not really. The tempered glass versions may has trapped dust inside it since there isn't really that much quality control but you're probably not looking to buy them anyway. If you don't care about the 100hz craze, the Achieva (aka Hazro HZ27WA) and Crossover are better built, actually have usable stands, and honestly should not cost much more. That's probably why he doesn't recommend the Catleap.

Warranty may be difficult to deal with since they are over in South Korea. So dead pixels and DOA claims may take a while/cost a bit to deal with. You can't expect too much, however, since they are around $700 cheaper than the competition. They are also using A- grade panels so you might end up with some defects like stuck pixels, poor uniformity, or that strange dim belt that plagues some LED IPS monitors. Again, they're $700 cheaper than the competition so don't expect miracles.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 09:29 on May 13, 2012

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Zeruel posted:

Sweet Jesus. I'm seriously hoping its a case of "get what you pay for" regarding all these monitors?
I'm looking at a 2nd monitor, not necessarily 'to go with' my existing LG Flatron W2242T that has served me well for the past 4 years. I'll be doing PC gaming, Console gaming, video editing, a little bit of everything. Unfortunately, I'm Australian, so everything costs tons. :australia:
I've looked at the Asus VG236H, but it has the 3D feature which I feel I don't really need. All I'd like is a monitor >21 inches, with an HDMI+DVI input + a higher refresh rate than 60Hz. Any suggestions?

All 120hz monitors can do 3D conversion so you're not going to find one without this feature. If you don't want 3D, then you should just find one without the glasses...which is strangely difficult in Australia. StaticIce claims the cheapest Asus VG236H actually includes the glasses.

Anyway, the best options are the Asus VG236H ($~400 @ Umart) or the Samsung S23A700 ($320 @ Umart). If you can use DisplayPort, then the S23A750 is your cheapest option at $250 via PC Case Gear.

The two Samsungs perform identically and are theoretically better than the Asus VG236H. However, they don't have a stand with height adjustment like the Asus VG236H has. You can probably find display stock of the S23A750 or S23A950 at JB HI FI/Harvey Norman, so take a look before buying.

On a side note, are you sure you want a 120hz monitor? 30FPS console games aren't going to benefit from it and you need a pretty beefy PC to get really high frame rates to make the monitor sing.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
Just a heads up but Microcenter is selling cheap 2560x1440 monitors for $400. If you want warranty, its probably easier to deal with Microcenter than some eBay seller from another country.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
Could it be the return of the VA monitor? TFT Central recently reviewed the BenQ GW2450HM ($200 on Amazon right now) and it apparently has low input lag as well as pretty good pixel response.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
Yeah that's the only low price option. The OSD-free single input models will look like your Dell but your multi-input models will have weak contrast if you change the brightness at all.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 19, 2012

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
The problem with the U2412M is reverse ghosting. It has nothing to do with response time, it has to do with Dell screwing up the overdrive settings in the same way BenQ ruins every single monitor they make with awful gamma presets and extremely aggressive overdrive.

There are tons of "slow" monitors that have surprisingly good performance in real life like most Asus IPS monitors.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

SplitDestiny posted:

What are the thoughts on this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2RY1DK9756

My ideal monitor would be a thunderbolt display but I need to be able to connect HDMI sources into it. 4k seems to be at a reasonable enough price to maybe jump up to this. Plus it looks sleek.

My primary use case would be web dev work with a mac book and gaming with a gaming pc powered by a Geforce 770..

The matte coating on this monitor is extremely low quality and the pixel pitch is extremely small so the image quality is actually quite poor. Also consider the panel choice and monitor size. You will notice the bad viewing angles when web developing.

Right now, invest in a good 2560x1440 monitor rather than any current 4K monitor. All of them are either expensive or laden with compromises.

Im_Special posted:

One thing I noticed which was really strange was when I got duel monitors for the first time I ran one at 1600x1200 (my old one) and 1920x1200 (new monitor) and it taxed my GPU more while at idle and gaming that way then going 1920x1200 (my new new one) and 1920x1200, so if you can, run both monitors at the same resolution because it will tax your GPU less. Again really strange, you would think more res on both monitors would make for a hotter GPU.

Did you have a nvidia GPU? This was (is?) a well documented problem related to the cards not knowing how to manage their power states. Of course you can solve this problem with nvinspector by forcing power states but it really shouldn't be needed...

Chafe fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 12, 2014

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
It's still a pretty average TN panel so it won't look particular good. The good news is that particular monitor can do backlight strobing (eliminates ghosting) but the bad news is that you need to maintain 120 FPS for it to look decent. Even then, the strobing might just give you a headache instead.

You might want to look into the Qnix QX2710 Evolution II. You can get them off eBay or Amazon for around $350 and they're 2560x1440 monitors that can have the refresh rate reliably adjusted to around 96hz without any unintended performance issues. They look good and have good responsiveness as well.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Captain Yossarian posted:

You absolutely don't need to maintain 120 FPS for a 120/144hz monitor to look good. The higher refresh rate comes into play pretty much any time your FPS breaks the 60 mark. FWIW, I have both a 120hz and a decent IPS and the IPS is more pleasing for non-FPS gaming.

I'm referring to backlight strobing that Lightboost monitors (and the Eizo FG2421) can do. If the frame rate is not equal to the panel refresh rate and the strobing rate, it looks like rear end. If the strobing rate is too low, the flickering is probably going to cause eye strain. When it does work, how it displays motion is very similar to a CRT.

I agree the better option is to probably choose the Qnix. Those 120hz TN panels look pretty bad once you've seen a decent monitor before.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jul 15, 2014

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
Instead of the Dell U2312HM, you might want to look at the Dell P2314H? Its still over your budget but it should only be by $20 or $30. Its also the far better monitor of the two, mostly because it uses a newer AH-IPS panel which corrects many of the problems produced by older panels.

Edit: Amazon has it for $164.99 right now so that's well under your budget.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jul 20, 2014

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Coredump posted:

Who makes the panel though? Seems like LG's has been on backorder every where. Does AOC supply their own panel or are they going to have to get them from LG?

AOC always gets the panel from other manufacturers. In this case, its definitely the same LG panel as the one used in the LG 34UM95 since no one else makes 34" panels of that aspect ratio and resolution.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Antares posted:

Does anyone have an opinion on Acer's 144hz model? I've been watching newegg for a sale on the ASUS but the Acer is on sale today. If they're more or less equivalent I'll probably go for it.

E: this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=24-009-642&nm_mc=EMC-GD080614&cm_mmc=EMC-GD080614-_-index-_-Item-_-24-009-642

It isn't a good monitor. I don't believe you can adjust the overdrive settings with the Acer and there honestly seems to be a fair amount of overshoot.

If you're definitely going for 144hz, the Benq XL2411Z is only $23 more. The Z series 144hz monitors from Benq definitely have the most community support. You can gather more information about it from Blur Busters, who have published a software suite to increase the flexibility of its backlight strobing capabilities. That being said, Benq's own strobing implementation seems to be extremely robust as well.

The only thing that makes the 24" Asus model interesting is if you can get one with G-Sync.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 7, 2014

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Rexicon1 posted:

So I'm in the market for a monitor between 24 and 27 that runs at 120hz+ for gaming pretty much. I've been eyeing the VG278 from asus but I'm wondering if anyone had any better recommendations for <$500? I didn't see that many recommendations in the OP for 120/144hz monitors. Are they generally crappier than standard 60hz monitors?

If you're not getting one of those overclockable single input IPS monitors, are only a few options worth considering right now:
  • Asus ROG Swift because of the high resolution, decent enough colours, ULMB, and G-Sync.
  • BenQ 144hz monitors, with the Z suffix and V2 firmware, because it supports Blur Busters' Strobe Utility.
  • Eizo FG2421 because its a 120hz VA monitor with strobing.
Once you've used strobing in games you can push very high frame rates in, you won't go back unless it gives you a headache.

Disclaimer: I own a Eizo FG2421. Turbo 240 on vs. Turbo 240 off makes a much larger difference than the refresh rate in my opinion.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 24, 2014

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Overture posted:

This monitor is the perfect price for what I'm looking for (secondary screen for FPS games, as while beautiful, the 34UM95 is not the greatest for FPS titles). I can't find if this sucker can be VESA mounted anywhere however, so I'm guessing that means it can't. Any idea? This is pretty important as I want this suspended above my main monitor (which is already VESA mounted), or at the very least in portrait mode to the left, so I can easily switch their positions for when I want to play FPS titles.

The BenQ XL2411Z definitely has VESA support. BenQ is actually one of the few brands where VESA mounts are basically a standard feature.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Hammerstein posted:

Yes, 800€ for a 27" TN panel is much, but you really notice the extra bells and whistles on this product. I was always under the impression that my 24" 1920x1200 monitor from 2008 had nice colors and was also good for gaming, but the difference is really huge. I read a lot of reviews and shrugged off the reports about what a difference 144Hz makes as nerd talk, but it made me curious enough that I wanted to see this for myself. The leap is not as big as going from SD to HD was, but it is a big step forward and will really benefit any game, no matter which genre.

As I said a few pages back, the higher refresh rate isn't the real selling point. What makes it the best gaming monitor is the combination of G Sync, ULMB, and 2460x1440 resolution. At this point, higher refresh rates exist for backlight strobing that won't give you headaches.

Anything where you can push huge amount of frames stable, ULMB will effectively eliminate ghosting - higher refresh rates actually don't do a whole lot to counter LCD's sample and hold behaviour. Anything where you can't push consistent frame rates, G Sync will make it obviously smoother.

If you only got the ROG Swift mostly for the resolution + refresh rate combination, the 27" eBay IPS monitors are honestly better.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 7, 2014

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

VostokProgram posted:

I'm not sure they actually have, considering some goons reported there was hair in their monitors or whatever.

A lot of problems people often attribute to a monitor manufacturer are often commonly found in other monitors that use the same panel. For instance, a lot of the faults people attribute to Dell Ultrasharps are also commonly found on any other monitor that uses the same model of LG AH-IPS panels regardless of manufacturer, price or service quality.

So I really see it as more of an AUO problem rather than an Acer problem given the trapped debris problem seems to occur with the Asus MG279Q as well. Hell, I'm fairly sure this sort of problem has been occurring for a while as shithouse panel quality was a pretty serious problem with the Asus ROG Swift (and now Acer XG27HU, which uses the same panel from AUO).

Chafe fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 14, 2015

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

GokieKS posted:

Crappy stands, crappy OSD, crappy build quality, etc., all of which have been applicable to Acer in the past, are not issues with the panel.

I would at least look at some Acer monitors nowadays, which is a step up from previously, but I probably still wouldn't buy one.

But most of those complaints aren't really true? The height adjustable stand on the one I owned for a while worked as well as any good height adjustable stand. Ignoring the panel, the build quality is fine unless we're equating gloss plastics with bad build quality.

The OSD also literally gives you every function a typical consumer might want and the presets are sensible enough that you can achieve fairly solid results with a few button presses. As far as overdrive presets go, the "normal" setting is basically objectively perfect.

Really, the only problem with this monitor is that the panel often comes with trapped dust under it. Which is a serious problem but not one I believe is entirely Acer's fault.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
With regards to the Acer X34, how obvious is the scanline issue? Its honestly hard to tell because the folks over at overclock.net and hardforum have a tendency to exaggerate panel flaws, such as backlight bleeding, I feel.