Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
So I just went from 22" Dell 2209WA (1680x1050) that I've been using for the past almost 10 years to a 32" Samsung U32H850 (UHD) :holymoley: I knew 32" is big but this thing is ridiculous! Can't wait to get the thing mounted on my wall though because that stand is huge, too.

However, I've never had a monitor with speakers before so I can't for the life of me figure out how to make the sound go through them from either my PC or PS4 Pro without connecting the cable from my old standalone speakers directly to the 3.5" jack on the monitor (which is ugly as hell because it's on the left side of the screen).

The other is that the DisplayPort was kind of a bitch to plug in properly because no matter how much I pushed it in the screen showed no signal. Somehow got it to work after unplugging the cable several times and finally hearing a click but man it seems like I'm really dumb or the DP cables are kind of wonky to connect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I have tentative plans to move it back by mounting it on the wall but honestly for general OS usage being closer is not making me feel nauseous at all despite worrying about it. Because of the combination of size and resolution it doesn't make sense (to me, anyway) to be looking at it from a distance because you're focusing on certain part of the screen. For gaming I just either slide farther away and recline in my chair or just on the sofa behind it.

tl:dr huge screens are loving awesome

One thing I quickly realized though is that 32" is still a bit too small for UHD at 100% scaling.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Secht posted:

Thanks and good point. The Dell I am on now is 3440x1440 and the resolution is 'good enough'. I'll take a peak at some of those 32". Appreciate that, I think the thing I enjoy most is that small wrap around feeling the curved widescreen gives.

You can use a PPI calculator like this one to get a rough idea: https://designcompaniesranked.com/resources/is-this-retina/

Personally I feel like PPI around 100 is not very clear and smooth-looking at a regular sitting distance. Around 130–150 it already has that smoothness to it that makes it very easy to read but it's not easy to achieve with computer monitors because of scaling not being perfect on Windows and resolutions above UHD being far from the norm. With that in mind, you should be looking at these specs: 1440p at 25" at most (probably better if smaller, but at this size you won't be looking at the screen from up close so it should be enough), 27–32" and more should be UHD. I wouldn't buy anything above 30" with less than UHD resolution if you at all care about crisp text and are not completely blind.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
That reminds me when I was shopping for a monitor two weeks ago I had a chance to see a 49 inch ultra wide which so far was the dumbest thing I've seen when it comes to monitors.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

wargames posted:

But not a terribad idea for a regular old tv if you watch movies, problem is Blu-rays bake in letterboxing so your ultrawide tv will have black bars on the side and show a 16:9 image with baked in black bars if i remember how dumb they made the blu-ray standard.

Maybe I should've noted that this monster of a monitor (Samsung C49HG90) has aspect ratio of 32:9, I wouldn't want to watch movies on that. It looks like a noodle.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Just to clarify, I think regular ultrawides are great for gaming but after seeing the 49" in person I couldn't come up with any reasonable use case for myself, especially since the price it goes for here in Europe is almost 2000 dollars. I saw it on Amazon for around half that price which might be more attractive for supplanting two 1080p monitors but even then it's a bit of a sketchy proposition at best IMO.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Odd Mutant posted:

Are those results from this specific panel or is this just a criticism of VA panels in general? The video reviews I've seen from this monitor say that the ghosting is minimal.

It's definitely not all VA panels. Maybe the high refresh ones suffer from this more commonly because I have a regular 60 Hz monitor with zero ghosting as far as I can tell.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Deuce posted:

Aren’t those 144hz 4K HDR monitors we just saw for April VA panels? Seems like that’s something they’d have to get nailed down to sell such a premium monitor

Can't see any evidence of it but I didn't search too hard. I'm not too familiar with the limits of IPS so I'm not sure if it could even reach the brightness levels required for proper HDR.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
My Samsung monitor also blinks on standby and it's annoying and baffling why would I need it blinking on standby.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Charles posted:

The setting on my LG monitor only affects the power on LED. It does not change the standby behavior.

My monitor is the same. Either I can have the led indicate an on/off state, or I can have it the other way around (led on when it's off :wtc:). Either way, it's going to be blinking in standby.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

buglord posted:

guys 144hz is *so smooth* holy crap

Can I watch TV shows/Netflix movies or whatever with that same silky smoothness or does it not work that way?

Not Netflix I think but there are applications that will convert any video to 60/120 FPS on the fly. I think most people agree that movies and TV shows look like crap (it has this cheap Brazilian soap opera kind of feel to it). But if you watch anything animated (anime, cartoons or CGI-generated feature movies like anything by Pixar), it looks loving amazing and I can't recommend it enough. You need a kind of beefy computer for it though, especially for 120 FPS I would imagine.

There are several ways but I found Smooth Video Project to be really easy to setup and for free!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Is getting FreeSync to work witth 970 a pipe dream? I know only the generation after that is supported but still wondering whether anyone gave it a try.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
So I decided to buy another monitor just for games to have alongside my 4K 60Hz Samsung. My requirements are: 1080p, more than 60 Hz (I don't think I need more than 144Hz), 24" at most (don't want too low of an PPI), G-Sync or FreeSync as probably a nice-to-have/must-have because of high Hz. I see most of the monitors with these properties are TN. Are there any that do IPS or similar?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I'm in the market for a 1080p FreeSync monitor, preferably IPS. High rate is optional but welcome. I don't want to go 1440p because of PS4 Pro which doesn't do native 1440p. I would also prefer it it wasn't bigger than 25" because of the poor DPI of 1080p@27" but as far as I can tell, I'm pretty much out of luck there.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

eames posted:

If you consider high refresh rate an optional feature, maybe get a 27" 4k 60Hz Freesync monitor?
The PS Pro and future consoles already support 4K and the display also does 1080p without scaling artifacts.

I have 4K monitor but since I bought a TV I will be using that instead and sell the monitor. Main reason is that I don't want to spend so much on GPU, the prices are bonkers. But I still want to play at 60 or more FPS. 1440p would be nice but the highend 1440p screens are also prohibitively expensive so I will probably end up sacrificing high refresh rate or go TN on a 1080p monitor.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I'm the guy who was looking for (ideally) high refresh 1080p 24-25" IPS with FreeSync and finding nada. One reply intrigued me, though, saying that the 240Hz screens are (usually?) the best TN screens. Mind, I'm not expecting them to be IPS-level good when it comes to viewing angles but better than for example my crappy notebook where it seems like NO angle results in acceptable clarity.

And after some research I've pretty much settled on the AW2518HF. Good/bad choice? Like I said I dont want to go higher because of GPU prices and I want to buy AMD when the new cards come out. Right now I'm surviving on a handmedown 970 mini.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

ufarn posted:

There are 1080p144 IPS panels coming in Q2 '19 fwiw. Looking forward to those myself.

How reliable is that?

K8.0 posted:

Also given the price I'm not sure why you wouldn't spend the slight bit more for 1440 IPS. You said you got a 4K TV, so why not hook the PS4 to that? It doesn't do VRR or high refresh anyway.

The PS4 Pro is only a temporary reason before I move it to the living room, yeah. But my major concern is pricier GPUs needed to drive 1440p at full details and decent FPS (60+). The GPUs here in EU are more expensive than in the US. The other thing that really annoyed me was still a terrible UI scaling in most games. I'm sure the situation at 1440p won't be as dire as in 4K but I just can't be bothered to deal with that at all.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Brought my AW2518HF home. The refresh rate is amazing. The stand is :lol: The colors and PPI (when compared to my other monitor, U32H850 which is 32" 4K) are bothering me more than I was expecting. I'm bit lost now because on top of my previous requirements I'd like it to have decent colors and PPI but at least the latter is obviously impossible to combine with lower resolutions so I don't have to buy an expensive GPU. My master plan to trick myself into believing I can live with low PPI failed :argh:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I'm considering it, thank you for bearing with me. Seems like my ideal monitor does not exist yet. All the high end ones are 4K and cost an arm and a leg. Thinking about the classic XB271HUbmiprz. The price is decent here (650$) but I don't know if GSync supports AMD cards at all. Does it? I'm morally gravitating towards AMD and want to see their upcoming GPU.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

repiv posted:

e.g. the Aorus AD27QD is similar to the XB271HU but is G-Sync Compatible instead of classic G-Sync, so you can use it with AMD if you want.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824012006

Oh, yes. I read and watched some reviews and this looks to be a clear winner. I would prefer more reserved design but I'll take it. I'll go to the store tomorrow to take a look how's the PPI on a 1440p@27".

I have to say that 240Hz is so goddamn smooth even when doing mundane stuff like browsing the internet, though. Hopefully the drop to 144Hz is not so drastic :suicide:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Had the AD27QD for a few days and decided to return in and keep my AD2518HF. Yeah, the colors and PPI are worse but at 1440p@27" the PPI is barely better (around 130 PPI is where I would draw the bottom limit for decent PPI from my previous experiences) and colors are a hardly a noticeable benefit considering I will use it just to play games. I don't do any content creation and if I did I'd probably buy a separate screen just for that. It's not really worth the 300 USD of price difference between the two that they cost here.

I guess I'll wait for 4K monitors and the GPUs that can drive them to become more affordable package before I'll jump in again.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Ever since I sold my 32" 4K monitor I've been wanting to buy something that has enough PPI to not make the text look like ants doing gymnastics on my screen. I mostly read articles, do terminal stuff on Linux and play (non-e-sport) games.

Right now I have the 240 Hz 1080p 24" Alienware which is nice and smooth but the PPI is horrendous. Also had the oft-recommended Aorus (144Hz 27" 1440p) and personally found the PPI to be equally inadequate. This led me to realize I probably don't care about high refresh rates as much as I do about PPI.

So right now I'm looking into 27" (32" was a tad too big for me, especially the flat screen) 4K screens with FreeSync. I don't think I'm ever going to buy GPU powerful enough for high refresh 4K but at least smoothing out the 30-60 FPS would be nice. Also anything but TN and no gamer bling if possible (the Aorus was especially ugly).

fake edit: wow seems like LG is the only company that makes the kind of monitor I'm looking for

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Sep 10, 2019

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I had 32" Samsung VA screen and I liked it a lot. I can tell the difference between 30/60/144 FPS but gently caress me if I can see the slow transitions people are talking about during gaming.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I guess YMMV but I liked my VA (Samsung U32H850) much more than this TN panel that's on the Alienware 2518HF. The viewing angles are atrocious and both color and contrast changes when you're even slightly off axis but that's not exactly a revelatory statement.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

BabyRyoga posted:

Are there any 60hz 4k monitors @ 32 in size that aren't garbage these days? Looking to maybe add one to my desktop. Gaming will still be done on my 27in 144hz gsync monitor, but it might be nice to have a 32 incher for multimedia/etc.

edit: so hard to find accurate reviews of random monitors without ending up on shady sites i've never heard of that may or may not have my best interests in mind. Is there any reputable site that has accurate, up to date comparisons?

Samsung U32H850. Great picture but at least here it was pretty expensive.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

ItBreathes posted:

You could get one of those new 55" Ultra large gaming displays or whatever they're being called.

Watched the recent video of Linus replacing his OLED tv with one these... all the while thinking why the hell would anyone want to put something so ugly in their living room. Not to mention the drop in picture quality and extra effort needed to make everything work nicely looked disastrous in the video. I assume after the video was done everything went back to how it was immediately.

fake edit: this is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ci7mFBuShQ

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I got 5700 XT and have the AW2518HF monitor. FreeSync is working as far as I can tell. Are there any recommended changes to be made to global VSync or something else?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Are there going to be any 4K OLED monitors with high-refresh and FreeSync in the near future?

e: that are not ultra tiny or TV sized?

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 26, 2019

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

TheFluff posted:

But don't buy OLED for a computer monitor unless you're okay with replacing it in 2-3 years because the burn-in is getting bad.

I do so many different things on my monitor and none of them for long periods of time so I'm not too worried about this. I spend barely any time in the OS itself with task bars etc. If there were an 27"-32" OLED monitor within I'd definitely buy it!

The C9 I recently bought is basically what I want at around $1500. I just don't and probably won't ever have enough space to use it as a PC monitor.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 26, 2019

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I really like the look of AW3418DW but the PPI is too low IMO. The resolution on these kind of ultrawides needs to be at least 4K2K or even 5K2K like the LG 34WK95U-W.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Statutory Ape posted:

I prefer wall/arm mounting a series of monitors as it stands right now, rather than the ultrawide stuff.

What monitors do you use?

4K by itself caused me issues when gaming (non-scaled text in a lot of games and much higher requirements) so going wider for increased immersion in exchange for lower PPI (thus negating the higher resolution in some ways) and even higher requirements is not a good exchange for me. Personally having two 27" 4K screens is something I can see myself liking more than ultrawide but then I have to buy two expensive monitors instead of just one...

I sold the Samsung 32" 4K monitor I had because there was no easy way to wallmount it in my previous apartment but I saw it at my friend's place and it's seriously an amazing size/resolution ratio when mounted at ~40-50 cm from the user.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 3, 2020

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I tried using my C9 as monitor for a few hours and without HDR and enough of a distance it's fine but if you turn on HDR it's literally eye searing. That's why I hope there's more high end monitors that focus on everything but HDR.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

shrike82 posted:

does 27 4K work well (vs 27 1440P), and how good is Windows scaling these days?

I've had: 32" 4K VA, 27" 4K IPS, 27" 1440p IPS (144 Hz), 24" 1080p IPS and 25" 1080p TN (240 Hz) and the 27" 4K monitor definitely takes the cake. It's sharp and most Windows and Linux apps (Gnome on Wayland) scale well. 24" at 1080p looks like trash but so (IMO) does 27" 1440p.

Also, I haven't really considered color accuracy before (I don't do any color-sensitive work) but after getting Dell U2720Q for work, I really appreciate it having something that doesn't look like washed out crap (Alienware AW2518HF). Of course photos look great but even boring as gently caress icons on the desktop don't look like crap anymore (both because of higher PPI and better colors)! I have a desktop background that looks completely different on the two monitors, on the 27" 4K IPS screen it's a very nice, saturated orange while the TN is like pee yellow. It was actually kind of mind-blowing seeing that because those two colors look nothing alike in person!

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Phillips? :raise:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

At 27" 4k I think you'd be either running the monitor at less than native resolution or relying on OS scaling to make text legible, each of which can have pitfalls. It might be fine, but it might not.

I use 27" 4K with Linux and Windows both and it's fine for 90% of stuff (that is native resolution with 200% scaling). It really, really depends on what apps you plan to use, though. Anything Java might be a shitshow on Linux, for example.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

FallenGod posted:

Since we're talking about the PS5 and 4k monitors, let me throw what is probably a super subjective question into the ring: how "bad" does it feel to play 1080p games on a 4k monitor, really?

I'm currently on some cheapo 21.5" Asus TN 1080p panel (VS228H) and am looking at a cheapo 28" Asus TN 4k panel (VP28UQG). My PC GPU is an old as hell 6gb 1060 that I don't intend to replace for a few years at least (hence the PS5). I'd be going from playing every PC game at native res and most PS5 games with supersampling to every PC game with blur from upscaling on a larger screen and some PS5 games with upscaling and some at native res.

Does it even make sense to go for this or would the gains to a handful of native res PS5 games be offset by everything else being (slightly?) worse?

If you're gonna use the monitor for other things then I'd say it's worth it otherwise I would say no. Everything is so crisp on 4K (especially at 27" or 28") that having blurry games is just so much more noticeable. For me, anyway :shrug:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I also couldn't decide between different monitors until I've literally ordered 3 and used them side by side for a bit. Out of 1440p 144Hz, 1080p 240 Hz and 4K 60 Hz the last one won easily, though I kept the 1080p one as well because some games I can't run at 4K 60 yet or the scaling is messed up. The one that made sense to me the least was in the middle, the tiny PPI difference was not worth the money to me. Now I'm waiting for that 27-32 inch OLED 4K 144 Hz that might never arrive while I'm alive.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!

Internet Explorer posted:

I keep my 38 inch ultrawide about arms reach for me. If you don't use a monitor arm that's easily adjustable, I highly recommend it. It lets you adjust it as you adjust your seating or stand-up desk. I'll say it is probably one of the best additions to my set up. Being able to easily move the monitor into the proper position is just perfect. Depending on what I'm doing, exactly what type of game I'm playing, having the monitor in the correct position is just the best.

I used to have 32" at an arm's length because of small table and it was ridiculous. Especially things in corners were annoying to see and read. I can't imagine 38" at that distance. I guess ultrawide makes it a tiny bit better by not being so tall?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
Even supersampled, the lower resolutions like 24" 1080p cannot really compare to a monitor with a finer PPI. Hell, I turn off antialiasing on all games I play on my 4K monitor and it's without question looking better than anti-aliased 1080p. There's just not enough physical pixels to produce a good looking picture. Yes, clarity of motion is without a doubt better at high refresh rates on the 240 Hz one but I don't play any action-all-the-time games so overall I can't really notice it as much (not for the lack of trying!). I do notice it a lot in panning shots, though. 30 or 60 Hz is just a stuttering mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

you stupid fuck!
I have to try some less demanding first person shooter to see if I can easily tell the difference between 60/120/240 Hz or if I consider it worthwile because so far I am in the camp of 60 is great, extra is whatever.