Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

movax posted:

Also good time to be an UltraSharp seeking :canada: goon.

If I had money, I'd jump on that deal. Unfortunately, tuition is a drain on the bank account :(.

How often do coupons or deals popup that are valid here in Canada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think this is monitor related enough. Is there a program that lets windows "snap" to the edges of other windows or the monitor? I'm thinking of functionality similar to how Skype snaps to the edges of the monitor. I'm running Windows 7 x64.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

DrDork posted:

I get that functionality packaged as part of DisplayFusion, which if you don't have it is an absolutely awesome piece of software for multi-monitor setups. If you're just rockin' a single monitor, though, there are free programs that can do that, such as WindowSpace.

Thanks for the names. Window Space isn't free (anymore?), but hopefully I'm gonna get a second monitor soon. I'll take your word that Display fusion is worth the money.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I got wind of the LG IPS231P on sale at NCIX for $200 CAD.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=59771&vpn=IPS231P-BN&manufacture=LG%20Electronics&promoid=1292

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Basket of Kittens posted:

How tall is the screen on the 23" here?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-_-24236117-L0G

It gives dimensions for height but those include the stand

If my rough calculations are reasonable around 7.5-8"

sqrt(23^2 - 21.66^2) = 7.74"

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

unpronounceable posted:

If my rough calculations are reasonable around 7.5-8"

sqrt(23^2 - 21.66^2) = 7.74"

Stew Man Chew posted:

Yup, and I'd take the most of that .66 off for the bezel so you'll have about 10" of screen.

One of us is completely wrong, because you can't have 10" of screen space if the screen + bezel is 8".

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Once you get to 27" or higher it doesn't make much of a difference to me. 1440 vs 1600 vertical pixels doesn't really phase me. I can go back and forth between the two without issue.

At that high a resolution though, the overhead from the taskbar/toolbars isn't nearly as high, relatively speaking. For lower resolutions (1366x768 :argh:) it's much more significant.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

fatman1683 posted:

Is 1920x1200 or 1920x1080 going to look like poo poo on a 27" display? I can't afford a 2560x1440 27", should I go with a 24" 1920?

Yeah, they'll look like rear end. For 1920x1080 or 1200, the largest you'd want is 24"

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

MeruFM posted:

http://www.overstock.com/Electronic...4&SID=996508841

Anyone have opinions on this?

It'll probably look pretty bad, as that's only 1920*1080. It's a low resolution for that screen size, and it'll be all pixelated.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Uterus Poker posted:

$400 and 16:9? Shameful.

Also I can't find any indication on the site linked to note if it is TN or IPS, if it's a 23-inch TN that's way too high of a price - if that's the case, get a dell and save yourself half the price with the ability to tilt

The site quotes a response time of 2ms (GTG). It's a TN panel. From the quick googleing I did, that price doesn't seem that out of line, keeping in mind it's a 120Hz monitor.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

LunaSky posted:

What would be a good monitors to go with for gaming on 3 monitors? Id like them to be 23-25 inches with 120hz and a small bezel so there is as little space between them. Already have the gpu power to handle this ( 2x 6950's) Thanks!

If you're trying to game on triple 120Hz monitors, you absolutely don't have enough power. CF 6950's are enough for 2560x1600 or 120Hz. You're proposing to run games at 5760x1080 which is about 50% more pixels. I have no idea what power you would need for what you want, but it is almost certainly not practical, if it's even possible with current tech.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

DrDork posted:

Also, any chance we could get a thread title change to something like response times are meaningless numbers?

Monitor/Display Megathread: Response Time is not Input Lag

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

themummra posted:

What do you guys think of this monitor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009306

I don't think there will be that much differentiation between monitors in the low end. It's a cheap TN panel so you'll get the same poor viewing angles as from any other cheap monitors. Given that it's 1920 x 1080 it seems like a pretty good deal at that price point.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

movax posted:

I like that 2nd one; will see what else flows in then I'll shoot SWSP a PM at some point.

'Tis the season to be jolly and buy monitors :toot:

Monitor Megathread: All I want for Christmas is an Ultrasharp

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Meanwhile, in Canada, the U2410 is $200 off, and sitting at $400+tax.
http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/days_of_deals?c=ca&l=en

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

rearadmiral.rowboat posted:

Why is the U2410 so much more expensive than the U2312HM? Do you really pay double the price (before the sale) for an extra inch of monitor?

I'm not as familiar with monitors as Movax, but from the specs on the page, it looks like the 2410 has a wider gamut, a plethora of inputs (component, composite, HDMI), a 16:10 aspect ratio, and pixels that are 0.005mm bigger. I'm not sure if their internal hardware differs greatly, and if so, how it would affect the price.

e:f;b

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

They had it at the store but not on display. Bought it anyway and just got it home. It better get better as it warms up, it's been in my trunk the last 6 hours and it's 30 degrees out.

This monitor sucks a big bag of dicks. The viewing angles are atrocious, the brightness and contrast controls might as well not even be there, and the stand is the flimsiest piece of plastic ever.

But 30 degrees is summer temperatures :v::hf::canada:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just saw this for any Canagoons. Dell is selling the U3011 for $999. It's only for the next 10 hours or so though.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

First off, that monitor is just 1920x1080, so it will look pretty bad given the size. It also defeats the main purpose of getting a large monitor, which is to have more screen real estate. With that one, it's functionally no better than a 22". It's also a TN panel if that matters to you. If you're going to get a monitor of that size, you really should get one with a resolution of 2560x1440 for a nice crisp picture.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

DrDork posted:

The only thing to keep in mind is that if anything bleeds over from your main monitor onto one of the others--even just 1 pixel--your performance is going to tank.

The nice thing, though, is that you can make hotkeys to move windows to exactly the border between monitors and adds border snapping. With these, you can easily position them properly.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

NiffStipples posted:

I think it was for Modern Warfare or Battlefield 3 and it was a while back so forgive me for not knowing the settings. I'm not actually buying this computer from a "build it for you" vendor. Here are the specs I was considering:

i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz / BX80623I72600K
EVGA SuperClocked GTX 570 / 012-P3-1572-AR
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB / F3-10666CL9D-16GBXL

I'm more of a performance guy and have no issues with sacrificing some quality for a fps boost. I've also already bought the monitor too, so I can't really back out. I'm really excited about this purchase.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-560-ti-448-core-benchmark,3082-4.html

You aren't going to make use of your 120Hz unless you decrease resolution and quality settings.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Slotducks posted:

So I was looking at this monitor:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6441299&CatId=4420

Any thoughts? I was thinking of doubling it up on a Planar desk mount and using it mostly for gaming/movies (I'll have a 2500k and a 560TI)

Is the 5MS really going to make that much of a difference vs a 2ms?

TN panels like that aren't really that different from one another. It looks fine, if pricier than some others. For instance, this LG is only missing the HDMI input, but otherwise seems to be about the same, and this ASUS is just cheaper.
5ms vs. 2ms refresh time isn't going to be any different.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Priam posted:

The ZR2440w has a lot of inputs and a scaler, just not composite.

edit; and it's a sRGB display, I'm not really sure what you meant when you said it doesn't cover the sRGB color space.

It has DP, DVI, and HDMI as input. How does that cover his needs for composite/s-video?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

chippy posted:

Oh poo poo, I just bought it and then noticed it's the U2412M, what's the difference between the U and the non U? Is there a difference? Bugger.

Just from a quick search on the Dell website, I don't see a plain 2412M. There's the U2412M, and a P2412H(TN, 1920x1080). I'd guess that it's the U2412M. Do you have a link handy?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
What I like about Display Fusion is how you can use it to make any windows snap to each other, and make hot keys to resize windows to specific sizes. It helps because I like having Chrome take 3/4 of my screen, and a skype chat or something take up the last quarter.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

el_brio posted:

Having been a CRT gamer from back in the day, I often find myself longing for some extra vertical real estate. May hope is that playing at a 16x10 resolution will give me the extra vertical view that I want (I've used 16x9 for the last few years). Ohhh.... Fatal, how is 16x10 (1920x1200) fov less than 16x9 (1920x1080)?

For SC2, the game will give you the same vertical view regardless of aspect ratio. Since 16:10 is narrower than 16:9, the left and right sides get cut off.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I'd like to get a 2412, but even if I had the money for a for a refurb, there isn't an equivalent Dell outlet here in Canada that sells them. :canada:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

archangelwar posted:

We just Velcro'd them to the walls at work outside conference rooms to serve as calendars. Seemed to work fine.

I can't help but think of this video when I read that.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Haeleus posted:

About the U2412m, the OP says it stretches 1080 vertically, but could I simply play a game in 16:9 aspect ratio with black bars on the top and bottom? I've never had a 16:10 monitor so I'm not sure how this works, or if all games support 1920x1200 anyway.

If you're gaming on a PC, then you can just tell the game what resolution to run at, but make sure your GPU will scale or add black bars accordingly. Where the lack of panel display scaling is a concern is for consoles. So for the PS3 that can only display images in 16:9, it'll be stretched.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
So, I was recently lent a third monitor for the summer, and I'm trying to set it up as an auxiliary monitor, but I'm having trouble setting it up.

When I connect it to my 6870 with a DP -> DVI adaptor, and try to extend the desktop to it, Windows says unable to save display settings. I gather this means my adaptor isn't an active one.

I looked into buying an active adaptor for it, but the cheapest ones I could find sold for $25, which is more than I'd like to pay, especially given that I'm not keeping the monitor. Anyone know of a place I can find a cheaper one with shipping to Canada?

My other option is to see if I can hook it up to my IGP in my 2500k (I have an ASUS P8Z68-M Pro). Is this possible in conjunction with my 6870? I looked into it before, although I didn't look that hard.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
Worked like a charm. Thanks FF!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

movax posted:

Alright, so no idea if the new MBP TNG display is IPS or not, but it's a pants-wetting 2880x1880 display in 15".

That's a weird resolution. Are you sure it isn't 2880x1800? That'd make it double the dimensions for 1440x900.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Super Mario Shoeshine posted:

Which is the best brand right now for medium priced 23' monitors? I am gonna get a new second one and I need to start looking for information.

Unless you're getting an IPS monitor, which it doesn't sound like, they're more or less the same. Just choose one based on stand adjustments and price.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
120Hz not enough for your SLI 680s? ASUS is working on a 144Hz 3D monitor. It's a 27" 1920x1080 monitor (TN panel of course).

http://vr-zone.com/articles/asus-readies-27-inch-3d-monitor-with-144-hz-panel/16836.html

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

Senethro posted:

I've got a machine with an I5 2500k with a nvidia 560ti that I'm looking to give a new monitor. Those parts felt pretty expensive 6 months ago, will I be doing a huge disservice to them playing Skyrim and Battlefield 3 on the Dell U2312HM recommended in the <24" category in the OP?

Yes, I rely very heavily on the OPs of SHSC hardware threads. Thank you for making them.
Not at all. It's a very nice monitor, and the 560Ti will still perform fairly well.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

fookolt posted:

Huh, that's interesting. I tried enabling it in BIOS, but it just wouldn't work. Maybe I'll try again.

After enabling it in bios, did you download and install the Intel display drivers? When I was getting up my triple monitors setup, that's something I forgot to do.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think this guy is the only one who's posted a trip report about a Korean 30" so far.

Bolkovr posted:

I got my 30" Korean monitor set up last night. Picture is awesome. Zero dead pixels. At first I thought it might have arrived dead, but then I realized I had reused the DVI cable from my last monitor and I guess the cable wasn't dual-link. Once I used the cable that came with it it displayed properly. I currently have it hooked to a 9500GT and I'm surprised how well the card is handling it. I don't really game much, but it handled IL-2:Sturmovik at 2560x1600 with no stuttering. A++++ would paypal some random Korean guy $660 again.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

peepsalot posted:

Are there any kind of utilities to help with window tiling on dual monitors in Windows 7?

I use Display Fusion. There are a bunch of useful multi-monitor features it provides. You can make hot keys to size windows to whatever dimensions you want (pixels, or % of monitor width/height), and move them to different parts of the screen. It can put taskbars on each monitor. The other thing I find myself using a lot is its window snapping while dragging them around.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

jwnin posted:

I just saw that the Dell U2713 is now available in the US for $800. Not sure if I'd want to jump on that, or just two U2412s for a similar figure.

A little worried about the backlight bleeding referenced above, although it seems to be hard to google 'dell' and 'backlight bleeding problem' without getting hits.
I thought Dell was really good with monitor returns for problems like that.

If I were in your position, I'd go with the two U2412s personally. I prefer the 16:10 aspect ratio, I wouldn't need as much GPU power for gaming, and you get 25% more pixels than the U2713.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

Fallen Rib

professor muthafukkah posted:

what is the consensus on this particular monitor? I will be using it for gaming with a 7770, yay nay?

It's nothing special. For a bit more, you can get this one, which will have a much better picture, and viewing angles. With the 7770, you may have to turn down some settings, but it should manage.