Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I bought a 144hz GSYNC Acer Predator and I can't really see the difference in games, even when they're running at 120fps. Is there anything I could be doing wrong? Maybe things seem a little smoother but it could just as easily be placebo the effect is so subtle. My resolution is definitely set at native/144hz in the Nvidia control panel. Am I supposed to be seeing some huge difference?

Edit: Using the DP cable from the box

TOOT BOOT fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

All that stuff is set perfectly and I still don't really see a big difference. I never thought I'd be one of those people! I mostly play Dota and not fast-paced shooters though so maybe that's the reason.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I tipped my desk over a few months and the monitors were fine, yet somehow you destroyed one with a DP cable?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

excellent bird guy posted:

i'd like to get a small monitor. Under 20", slim for my raspberry pi. I had planned on using the Wacom Cintiq 16" as a RP monitor but just realized that has a non changable full sized hdmi wire, whereas the rp takes mini hdmi. Bummer.

They make adapters.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

i dunno how anyone can go back to a 16:9 monitor after using an ultrawide. i'm a programmer and there's like zero way i'd ever go back to multiple 16:9 monitors. it's not even close to the same experience even if it's more real estate

I don't understand the appeal of ultrawides at all. Everything it seems like it would be good at I'd prefer a second monitor instead.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Even if you don't do a lot of gaming, getting a monitor with a higher refresh rate is much easier on your eyes over long periods of time than a 60Hz screen.

How do you figure?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I owned the poo poo of myself today. I bought cerium oxide and a polishing tool from Amazon to attempt to fix weird spots that appeared on my gaming monitor a while back. It didn't work, I made a huge mess because cerium oxide gets everywhere and smears when you try to clean it up, holding up a power tool for like 45minutes wore me out for a bit, and now I have to return the polisher to Amazon.

Still have no idea what happened to the monitor. I was thinking the spots were on the glass but if polishing for 45min didn't remove them I'm out of ideas. The spots are dark colored so I suppose they could be a bunch of dead pixels that just happened to suddenly die in a three inch square but there's no pattern or anything and the monitor was flawless before that. I haven't actually looked with a magnifying glass or anything. The glass doesn't feel pitted or anything like that, it's perfectly smooth. It just looks like the typical spots that get on a monitor that you wipe off every now and then, but they're permanent.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's definitely 5-10 grey-looking spots, like 1-2mm in size, and not in any pattern. The monitor is fine otherwise, but I'm the type of person that can't stand something like that on a screen I look at for hours.

I don't know whether I'm more annoyed that they're there, or the fact that I don't know what happened to put them there. I have cats that paw at the monitor occasionally but that's been the case for 20 years and the glass feels perfectly smooth. As far as I know there was no physical impact to the monitor, no caustic substance sprayed on the monitor, and I've been using the same lens wipes and microfiber cloth that I use on everything else, without issue.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Animal posted:

LOL what the hell…

What model is the monitor?

MSI Optix G273QF

I honestly thought about sending it in for service as a hail mary, but the warranty had expired like a month before it happened.

Everything I looked at on Google basically made it sound uneconomical to have a monitor repaired outside of warranty.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

change my name posted:

Like, sanding it is the one thing you could do to irreparably break it more. Also, did you try just restarting it? My secondary MSI Optix monitor sometimes gets weird spots that a restart fixes, I think it was a cable problem

I don't think I have another DisplayPort cable, maybe I'll eventually try that. I don't know why the spots would be static if it was a flaky cable, though. Cereum Oxide can be used on mirrors and the polisher had a wool pad. It doesn't look any worse than it did before. I had kinda written it off anyway because I'd had no luck getting rid of the problem.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Here's a picture of the problem area. Just for shits and giggles I managed to dig up another DP cable. Still there. In case it was the DP port on either the video card or the monitor (since they each only have the one port) I tried HDMI, still there. The only thing that comes to mind is an unknown mild impact that happened while I wasn't here, or something unfortunate getting splashed on it which again, stumps me because I never have anything liquid on the desk except soda.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Animal posted:

I think that’s within the glass. How’s the humidity where you live?

I'm in one of the top-20 most humid areas of the country.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah that's possibly it. Never had a similar issue but there's a first time for everything. It looks vaguely like liquid spots and isn't on the surface of the glass. If I remember right the problem first showed up around the time of year it gets unpleasantly humid outside.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

So, is the HDR effect just kinda modest on non-$$$ monitors? I just bought the ASUS VG27AQL1A which is my first monitor that supports HDR, and I turned on HDR in Windows 11 then watched a 1440p HDR video on YouTube and I didn't notice a whole lot of difference from my old monitor except certain scenes in the video seemed to have bright colors that stood out more. Is that about what you can expect from a $300-400 monitor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Gucci Loafers posted:

Is there any actual difference between using DP or HDMI assuming that they are the more recent version? Is one any better than the other?

There are some minor differences. I think NVIDIA only supports FreeSync over DP, for instance. Most high refresh monitors I've owned support better refresh rates over DP.