Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Just popping in to say I love this thread. Been working with a lovely LG 22" TN panel for a ~5 years now. Did some basic reading in here and came away ordering a 2412M off Dell.ca for $100 off!

I don't know if this deal applies to the US, but if any Canadian goons are considering ordering one, I'm pretty sure this $100 discount only applies today (Tuesday the 1st)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

rawrr posted:

H is 16:9 I think.

This would make sense.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
From the op:

U2412M posted:

- will stretch 1080p vertically The Xbox 360 has settings to compensate for this, but a PS3 will have its image stretched vertically to fit the screen.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Just look at the country in the upper left corner.

It's Canada, I got the same deal on the Canada store first week of the month.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Medullah posted:

I knew my future was NOT in sales when I worked at Best Buy and we started carrying this insanely expensive HDMI cable.

I thought it was an April Fools joke...

The reviews on this are hilarious.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I don't think he was talking about the physical space at all. Rather, he was saying that most activities on the computer benefit from having more vertical screen space, so go for 16:10 if you can (and if you don't mind black bars on 16:9 content)

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If you take a gamble with a Korean monitor (especially without the 'pixel perfect' warranty), why would you go out of your way to test for dead pixels?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Absent the obvious (like making sure they're both set to output at the native res of the monitor) are you sure you're just not noticing the difference between Windows and Mac font rendering?

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Is that like a weekly deal or something? I swear every time I check this thread that monitor is $100 off somewhere. (I also bought one for $100 off this past summer)

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Pvt Dancer posted:

Exactly the same setup, but my vertical monitor suffers from slightly blurry text. It goes away when I put it in landscape mode. Is this is a driver / windows thing I can fix?

Edit: Oh hey, you can run Cleartype configuration for each monitor separately, it's fixed now. I was getting angry finding only suggestions to run that without actually bothering to try it, oops.

If you're interested in the 'why does cleartype need to be reconfigured for portrait mode' question, it's because cleartype typically uses subpixel rendering for text.

How this works is that some of the red/blue/green subpixels surrounding the character are lit to allow for sharper text. This gets all messed up if you put your monitor in portrait mode, because the subpixels are all laid out horizontally.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I've never noticed an issue with light bleed on my 2412M. Games look great on it.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It's really stupid to blame Apple for that one, there simply is no great support for it at the OS level. Sure they could have put in some extra effort but then they would have the one lone app that worked in a sea of apps that still had a bunch of glitches because Microsoft has put no effort into high-DPI scaling.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Coredump posted:

I'm not sure you're aiming this reply at me but I'm in now way blaming Apple for windows poor DPI scaling. Its just one specific example I've dealt with as I've switched between different size and resolution of monitors in the last 6 months.

No, sorry, I should have quoted what I was replying to. Specifically this:

quote:

You'd think the people that really pushed high-DPI displays and interfaces that can respond well to that environment would be able to make that work outside of their own little garden.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Apples and oranges. IGZO is a material that can be used in the manufacturing of LCD displays.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
How about actually reading the OP instead of just skimming it and saying you did? It's filled with lots of useful info about specs and which ones matter and which ones don't, like the meaningless refresh rate stat you're putting on a pedestal. It also has a bunch of recommended models of 24 inch monitors you can use as a starting point.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I don't really see what's passive aggressive about my post. I don't mind providing help but the OP answers your questions much better than I could.

Look at the very first paragraph under "Understanding LCD Specs" for information about response time.

All of the monitors you linked are TN panels made by reputable manufacturers. Here's a relevant quote from the OP:

quote:

Gamers / Budget Users Read Here
There are a lot of posts from people that just want a barebones LCD for cheap that can do games / basic text editing. You don't need a premium monitor like an UltraSharp in this case. There are so many LCD manufacturers out there that it becomes difficult to list all the options, and I feel uncomfortable recommending a display based solely on a Google review.

So, assuming you have read the 1st and 2nd posts and understand the limitations of TN technology my advice to you is purchase to a display from a reputable manufacturer (so you get warranty support) like Asus, or the major OEMs (HP, Dell, LG, Samsung, Acer, etc). First look at the brand, then decide if you like the industrial styling of the display, and then buy it. Not much variety among TNs, they all have the same flaws.

So if that's what you're going for then you'll probably be satisfied with any of those that you like the look of.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
They're really good quality displays if you can afford it. The cheaper Korean 27" panels are display panels that Apple/Dell/etc. rejected for use in their 27" displays.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Yes, great monitor.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Jiggle or swap the wire completely, that's the only solution when it comes to VGA.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
If you don't need the 1:1 mapping, get the U2412M. You won't be disappointed.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I got my U2412M on sale for $250 so I guess that skewed my perception of the value vs. the ASUS. Does the ASUS have a comparable stand to the U2412M? I always love the Dell stands.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
Could be more useful for Macs which have good support for high DPI displays already.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
As long as the monitor supports HDCP (which I'm pretty sure they all do these days) it will work fine. Don't use a U2412M with consoles as it doesn't have a 1:1 mode and will stretch your console's 16:9 image to fill 16:10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

teagone posted:

Seriously. But how/why did people give that Sharp 4k display 5 stars? Do they not notice the fuzzy/blurry font rendering somehow? I got a headache just reading a few paragraphs on the P2314H.

The top review noticed it, mentioned the fix (turning it upside down etc.) but rated it 5 stars cause I guess the problem is Apple's to solve in OS X, not Sharps.