Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010
Dell has refurbished U3011's for $899 + tax on delloutlet.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Garth Fader posted:

So any opinions on the ST2220T from dell? A 21.5" IPS panel with infrared touch technology for $300.00. What do you guys think? It's cheap enough that i might just order it for some random tech fun, but i don't like the 2 week shipping delay.

it looks pretty good, and it has 82% color gamut. I'm not sure how well infrared touch compares to capacitative/resistive though.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Entreri posted:

Does LED lacklighting mean better picture quality? Should I opt for LED backlit displays or non-LED backlit?

LED lasts longer, but it depends on the type of LEDs for picture quality (For example: Dell's ultrasharps all use CCFL backlighting afaik).

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Paino posted:

I have 3 monitors in mind but I'm still quite undecided:

- Asus MS238H: cheap, decent video quality (but wobbles easily and has a horrible stand)

- Samsung LX2370: rave reviews for this one, superb video quality, high contrast, deep blacks (but too light, has horrible touch buttons and wobbles A LOT)

- Samsung PX2370: seems to be an improved version of the LX on all accounts.

What I like is deep blacks, color vibrance and fidelity. Basically for me it's 99% video quality and 1% stupid features, touch buttons, appearance, view angle. It could look like a brick with horrible controls but if the image quality is superb I'll buy it.

I expect to do a whole lot of gaming on it, watching movies, reading poo poo. 1920x1080 obviously.

Be free to suggest otherwise, I don't know anything about monitors but I don't want to spend more than 350$.

You should probably consider a Dell U2311. It's more expensive, $280 at the moment, but you can't really go wrong.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

movax posted:

As long as he has a set-top box, he can always feed the monitor with the HDMI or Component output from it. That should be relatively painless (you will have to feed a receiver/amplifier with an audio signal from the STB separately, I don't recall off-hand if Dell does speakerbars for their monitors that will handle audio over HDMI) If not, what Factory Factory said is absolutely correct and it'll just be easier for you to buy a TV.

Dell Ultrasharps have audio out for hdmi and usually power for a speakerbar

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010
ASUS has just come out with a 16:10 24.1" IPS display for $500, and it covers 98% of the Adobe RGB gamut. On the downside, it has a stupid red stripe.

Might be interesting to check out
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236119

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Another Poster posted:

I'm looking for a 22" or larger monitors with DisplayPort and a native camera. I looked around and the only one that fit the description is the Apple Cinema Display. Is there any other monitor like that? (Monitors like the Apple Cinema Display)

Newegg lists 2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...pe=&srchInDesc=

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Another Poster posted:

Lacking DisplayPort

Have you tried taping a webcam to a Dell ultrasharp?

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

PlasticSpoon posted:

Can you just explain why you like it better? I am in the market for a new 24" monitor. I'm using a Viewsonic VX2450WM 24" LED monitor, so I think either one will be an upgrade, but I'd rather not spend the extra $100 if there is no reason to.

edit: I don't do any photo editing, or need HDMI or anything. I use it to browse the interwebs. I have my TV set up as a dual monitor to watch TV/Movies. So basically this monitor will do nothing special.

So would the HP ZR24w be better than the U2410 for just everyday browsing?

Found the ZR24z for $350 after mail-in rebate , http://www.macmall.com/p/HP-Monitors/product~dpno~8086055~pdp.gbbaghb Not sure what their exchange poilcy is for dead pixels though.

You don't really need either. You only need an IPS for viewing angles and color accuracy. The U2410 is generally only for people who do content creation, or who need a shitload of inputs.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

The Gunslinger posted:

LEDs are over marketed. The form factor is nice but the energy savings in a monitor will be minimal, it's not going to magically have CRT black levels and they often have the same flashlighting problems regular LCDs do. Get a good panel before you worry about how it's lit. The Dell Ultrasharp U2311H is fine for gaming, I play Counter-Strike, TF2 and more modern stuff all the time on it. I'm not a "pro gamer" but I do alright. It looks beautiful to boot, far better than any TN panel I've owned. I can't say I've ever noticed ghosting with it and the only time I've even seen it is in reviews where the camera's shutter speed is set to maximum.

If 120hz is a sticking point then your only real option is the Asus you've already considered.

I use a U2410 without overdrive, and I can probably beat most gamers in TF2 and BFBC2. IPS's are fine for the large majority of gamers.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010
Dell is selling the ST2220T for 215.49.
http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/dell-st2220t-1080p-multi-touch-ips-lcd-monitor/28252.aspx

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

SlightlyMadman posted:

I canceled the order. It was a UPS gently caress-up, not theirs, and they were very cooperative in the end with offering to ship a replacement out right away, even though this is a pretty clear example of why their policy is to wait a bit.

and now you know...

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010
At least it's still 16:10 so I can match it with my U2410 if I want to.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

sadus posted:

Any hint of a U3012 yet? Is it known if 6-bit will work with the 30" screens?

I don't think there will be one. Maybe a U3013 next year.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Sinestro posted:

What is the deal with the new cheaper ZR24w? New one, old one.

I believe they're the same

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010
LG is supposed to be coming out with an 23 inch 3D IPS display. I'm not really liking the viewing angles though
http://www.lgnewsroom.com/newsroom/contents_main.php?category=6&product_code=39&product_type=39&post_index=1360

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Cosmo Clock 21 posted:

Do you have to use Displayport if you want a 3+ monitor setup with Eyefinity? My laptop already has a second display hooked up via HDMI, and I want to use a third with the VGA port.

Yes

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Pizer posted:

I don't know if i'd trust any method for "determining" input lag that didn't involve an oscilloscope or some real electrical measurement device(s).

DVI splitter?

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010
Dell is selling the U2312 for 230 and U2412 for 299 on Black Friday.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Magic Underwear posted:

That's still O(1) work, just a different constant factor.[/b]
Those words up there? The ones that you typed? They don't make a lick of loving sense. What the gently caress.

It's the running time of an algorithm. It's not nonsense, its just :spergin:

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

ShardPhoenix posted:

I want a Dell monitor (2412M) but I literally have no way to get one without taking a day off. I'm not home during weekdays and my workplace isn't really suitable to delivery. I wish they would just sell them in shops, or at least use the normal postal service so I can pick it up. There don't seem to be any other good options in that price range and style either.

You can have them hold it for pickup after a 1st delivery attempt for UPS.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Lilleput posted:

I'm looking to upgrade my monitor and within my budget i could either get:

1 x Asus VG278H (120hz, 3D, 27")
2 x Asus VE278Q (60hz, TN, 27")
2 x Viewsonic VP2365-LED (IPS, 23")

I will be gaming, watching netflix ect. and normal web browsing.

If i go with 2 screens, is the tradeoff in screen size, worth the upgrade to IPS. And if i go with the single 27" 120hz will that make a notable differerence in games. (GTX 570 / i5 2500k)

Right now, i'm leaning towards two monitors, having one devoted to Netflix / Movies and browsing on the other. But if 120hz is the second coming of jesus i could live with a single monitor.

Roofbacon?

Get dual monitors.

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Sun Is Tangging posted:

Is the U2312HM likely to go on sale for any cheaper than it is now ($240)? I looked around a little for a price history but couldn't come up with anything, so I thought maybe the thread would know.

The Dell outlet is selling them for $189 + tax

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010
The U2410 has a composite video, which s-video can easily convert to.
I would just get the U2410, as it tends to be cheaper, and you don't really need that much color accuracy for your needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David Tennant
Jul 15, 2010

Junkie Disease posted:

I just got the Hanns-G 27.5 inch monitor from Newegg and hooked it up to my computer with a dvi to hdmi cable and when I play videos (youtube, VLC, WMP.. anything) the screen blacks out for a few moments as the audio starts and then comes back to normal with the vid playing.

When I close a source such as exiting the program or closing a tab with youtube it happens again. Any clues?

Am I barking up the wrong tree thinking its the new monitor? Need more details?

That sounds like a driver problem. Update them and try again