Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

spasticColon posted:

I have my desktop computer hooked up to my HDTV which is an LG 26LE5300 and the native resolution is only 1366x768 but I can run games at 1920x1080 and it looks sharper although text on the desktop and in certain game menus is much smaller and harder to read. Because of this I have to run the desktop resolution in Windows at 1176x664 to make text large enough to read and then run my games at 1080p. What exactly is the TV doing when running at 1920x1080? Is it squeezing more pixels onto the screen somehow?

Sounds like you're doing supersampling the hard way ;)

I would look at your graphics card configuration, because if you can get your graphics card doing the downscaling stage (instead of it being done in the TV hardware) you might get better results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So I need to get another monitor, and I was thinking about getting an nice big HDTV, and then mounting it on the wall a good 5 feet away so it's the same angular size as a regular monitor at a more usual distance.

Someone please tell my why this is a terrible idea, I've got to be overlooking something here.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

DrDork posted:

Can you do it? Sure. Should you do it? Probably not. What exactly attracted you to the concept, anyhow?

The fact that I could double it up as an actual TV when I have friends around instead of huddling around a monitor was the big motivator.

It sounds like the big issues are:

• Display latency.
  • Text fidelity.
  • Colour space issues.
  • Overscan.
  • Doing other really dodgy stuff that can't be disabled.

I'm not concerned about pixel density (If it's the same angular size and same resolution, then the effective pixel density is the same, right?), but there's definitely stuff there I need to consider.

I guess I should haul off to a store and see if they'll let me gently caress around with some of their displays to see how they'll look.