Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I guess this is a monitor question, so I'll ask here -

Can anyone think of a reason why videos on YouTube that are less than 1080p (but still widescreen) get letterboxed in fullscreen on my 1080p monitor? I've noticed the control bar doesn't extend beyond the black bars, so I think the width isn't being set correctly for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Question about the Dell UltraSharps:

I noticed that they had 4 USB ports, and I was really excited to not have to worry about plugging all my USB devices into my Macbook Pro every time I brought it back home. If it's using DisplayPort -> Mini DisplayPort, will it transfer the USB signals over that connection, or will I need to use the upstream USB port? I know the Apple Thunderbolt Displays can do it all over Thunderbolt (same port as MDP), but I don't have $1k to drop at the moment :sigh:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 23, 2011

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Dogen posted:

U2412m won't, don't know about the others. I believe the HP 24" IPS model will.

I also don't have $400 to spend :smith:

Thanks for the information, though. Honestly, I can probably deal with one USB cable, still better than the like four I had before.

e: For some reason, the UltraSharp was showing the Canadian price for me. I guess it's the full $300 here. ARGH IPS MONITORS WHY ARE YOU SO EXPENSIVE

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Dec 24, 2011

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Any opinions on this cheapo LG IPS? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/LG+-+IPS+Series+23%22+LED+Monitor/2031077.p?id=1218306466603&skuId=2031077&slref=10&slloc=01

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Dell Outlet has the 24" Ultrasharp refurb for $299 with free shipping...

Except it's a 90 day limited warranty.

I need to be talked into or out of this. How good is Dell on dead pixel returns under that 90 day warranty instead of their ~premium panel guarantee?~ If I don't get this I'm just going to get some random ~$150 TN thing.

e: Student discount has the U2412M as only $30 more than the refurb! Yessss.

e2: bank account halved. yay.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 30, 2011

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Just got my UltraSharp 2412M in. It's loving glorious, but I don't have much of a point of reference for the colors on it. Is there a certain color profile I should use for it on OSX? I noticed there was a "Mac" gamma setting, but it didn't seem to look much better.

e: my main issue is that it seems rather "cold" compared to my Macbook Pro's screen. Not really sure if that's a fault of the MBP or that this display should be calibrated more warmly. Man colors are weird.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 4, 2012

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Dell offers a student discount on the U2412M that's pretty nice, if that's an option for you.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

19 o'clock posted:

Oh my god, this monitor is bright.

I have mine at like 35 brightness/75 contrast. Some site I used for color calibration recommended it, and it's really nice on the eyes.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

I've assembled a standing desk situation in my very cramped living space (re: there is a dresser and a lot of cardbox boxes involved). I'm using my trusty UltraSharp U2412M, which I've had for like eight years now. It's a pretty silly setup, and the ergonomics leave a lot to be desired (tricky to get the right distance from keyboard/mouse when you can't put your knees under a tabletop...), but I've got an okay "sit/stand" setup using a drafting chair.

One problem, though, is that the monitor stand doesn't adjust quite as much as I want for sit/stand. I'm about an arms-length away from my monitor, and I'm trying to keep to the ergo guidelines of the top of the monitor being just under eye level. In practice, I've placed it on a box such that it's now slightly too high in the lowest position when I'm sitting, and too low in the highest position when I'm standing.

What's a solid, compact, stand that can give me more range than the default, while still free standing on a tabletop rather than being mounted? The top of this dresser has no lip so I can't use any kind of clamp mount.

Honestly, I would just keep another box around to use as a stand and put it on/take it off when I swapped between standing and sitting, except this UltraSharp is like 15 pounds and a huge pain in the rear end to move around. Maybe I should just find a super compact standing desk move all my clothes into a suitcase or something. The perils of NYC apartment living...

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Another silly question in my neverending space-optimization quest:

Since my last post, I finally managed to squeeze an actual, normal sitting desk into my room, though a small one. I'm still using my UltraSharp U2412M, and it's mostly fine, but a little too close to my face for how big it is, plus the stand takes up a lotta room on the desk.

I was thinking about getting some kind of monitor stand to clamp on to the edge of the desk. Was just looking at the generic ones on Amazon (VIVO and whatnot), but had a quick question. My desk is right up against the wall, like so:

A lot of the stands I see on Amazon are built so they have a vertical pole, and then a big ol arm sticking out from the pole. Am I right in thinking that the only way to use those stands in that compact of a space, while keeping my monitor close to the wall, is to put the pole to one side like in some of these user photos?

I think I could live with the asymmetry, but I'm curious if anyone knows of a centerable monitor stand that clamps on to the edge of a desk. Maybe just... one that doesn't have the arm?

(this is all probably not worth it to put my monitor, like, an inch back and maybe an inch higher than the stand will allow, and reclaim like 6x12" of desk space, but hey, the gently caress else am I supposed to do in quarantine except obsess over the space I'm confined in)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Aug 6, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

pixaal posted:

Have you thought of just wall mounting it since you are right up against the wall?

sadly, putting holes in a wall is a good way to lose an entire security deposit on an nyc apartment

this looks okay, though it probably will end up being further out from the wall than my current setup is by a little bit, heh

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Rinkles posted:

wonder if adding an extra layer of wood/whatever material so it's thick enough to take the mounting clamp (like in the image) is advisable.

yeah I was wondering this too, this desk is at least like solid wood but it's also like a half-inch thick and I dunno how stable a clamp is gonna be on it. this monitor's like 9 pounds without stand which isn't that bad I guess?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

abraham linksys posted:

I think I could live with the asymmetry, but I'm curious if anyone knows of a centerable monitor stand that clamps on to the edge of a desk. Maybe just... one that doesn't have the arm?

update on this: I got https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MTS4H7P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it pushed my monitor too far forward :smith:

here's a picture with the old stand in the foreground for comparison. I hadn't considered the curvature of the old stand when I was trying to eyeball how the new stand compared to the old one, plus having to use standoffs on the plate because the vesa mount on this monitor is recessed and can't slide onto the stand without them:

not the worst mistake I've made for $20 (and I can probably return it), but I think my only option must be one of those stands with an arm and going with the pole to one side, and even then I'm not actually sure it'll sit much more flush. none of these stands have detailed sizing specs beyond the package sizing, which is really pissing me off; I just want to know "minimum distance from pole" and all I can do is keep looking at customer shots and trying to gauge it.

(i guess the other option is... get a thinner monitor? have to imagine most 23" or 24" panels these days are not 2" thick. plus, if I got a 16:9 monitor instead of a 16:10, i assume it'd be slightly less tall, which is the main annoyance with having my monitor this far forward - I'm catching myself tilting my head down to look at the bottom of the screen, which is never good)

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 10, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

oh wow, that works perfectly, and I feel like a giant dumbass for not thinking of it earlier (mostly because I didn't realize that part B could rotate a full 90 degrees)

I will have to live with the asymmetry but such is life until I move to a new place where I can fit a desk that isn't comically small

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Aug 10, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Cygni posted:

Hardware Unboxed was pretty impressed with the Dell S2721DGF, Dell's version of a monitor with the ubiquitous LG NanoIPS 1440 panel, theirs at 165hz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3vbqyjgPpY

At $40 over a 27GL83A, it does give a few benefits with motion thanks to that faster clock if you've got a computer that can drive it... although I just checked and it looks like its out of stock just like the 83A perpetually is so :shrug:

Seems like, depending on how the stock and sale prices are, this is a third monitor to add to the usual "get an LG 83" answer? It has a $499 sticker price, so I guess it depends on whether it goes on sale as low as the LG monitor does (currently $380 on Amazon backorder for the 27GL83A). OTOH, unlike the LG panels, it seems like it's been in stock at Best Buy consistently since I started looking.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Cygni posted:

Dell seems to be putting it on sale pretty regularly. It is $429 on their page at the moment, and there is a 10% code on their newsletter that brings the price down to $387. It appears to take a long time to ship though, just like the 83A.

https://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/jfxnwh/monitor_dell_27_s2721dgf_1440_144hz_1ms_ips/

ah, that's annoying; it says it ships in two days at Best Buy but that's at full price

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

27GN850-B looks to be $430 at Best Buy right now: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-ultragear-27-ips-led-qhd-freesync-and-g-sync-compatable-monitor-with-hdr-black/6401809.p?skuId=6401809

hovering over the purchase button on this - looks to be the 27" 1440p144hz sweet spot of "shipping sooner than December" and "less than $500." anyone have a quick warning of caution? saw some people saying that the wide color gamut (instead of the sRGB of the 27GL83A/B) looks worse for games, since they're not made for it?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Cygni posted:

The HDR isn't worth using (fyi both monitors have identical panels and color capabilities), but thats true of all of these monitors with that panel. Its only $50 more than the 83A with its mystery shipping dates and $10 more than the very similar Dell with similar mystery shipping dates. Youre paying a little premium to get it sooner rather than later, but it is absolutely not a rip off. The
also has a slightly better stand than the 83A.

well, the 83A is SRGB 99%, and the GN850 is DCI-P3 98%. poking at Reddit for SRGB vs DCI-P3 indicates the latter isn't great for games because Windows has no built-in color management to ensure they output in the right RGB format (unlike Mac with its nice built-in calibration stuff)

I guess the panel does have a built-in sRGB mode, but apparently that disables a bunch of calibration settings, to the point you can only adjust backlight brightness: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_27gl850.htm#srgb (assuming the GN850 follows after the GL850 on that)

I dunno, it's tempting but I'll feel very silly if I spend that much on a monitor and wind up with bad-looking colors

this Reddit post kinda confirms my worries: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/gkgl4p/comparison_and_review_between_the_new_lg_27gn850b/

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 23, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

slammed purchase on that. my delivery is "Oct 26 - Nov 1" but if that holds, I'm happy with it. I sure hope 1080p games look okay on this monitor since that's what I'm going to be looking at until I get a card better than a 1060 :v: (which, hopefully I'll either luck into a 3070 or be blown away by the power of Big Navi or whatever)

excited for the extra screen real estate though

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 24, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Cygni posted:

Good pickup! I ran a 1060 6gig with the 83A for a bit at 1440p, and it actually was great with the Gsync kickin in for the lows. Not gonna handle brand new stuff at Ultra obvi and somethings really had to be cranked down (RDR2... gently caress that game), but I was pleasantly surprised.

If you look through my old posts, I did a whole start to finish setup guide for the 83A.

oh, cool! I've never had a Gsync monitor before so I didn't realize that it helped with some of the <60fps dips as well

I'm more or less buying a Gsync/1440p/144hz monitor sight unseen - I was thinking it over today, and while I've seen quite a few 1440p or 4k screens before, I've never actually seen a high refresh rate or Gsync screen in the wild before (since I, uh, never set foot on the sales floor of a computer store and exclusively order things for pickup these days :v:). Excited to see what this ends up looking like.

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 24, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Hemish posted:

Well after a month my 83A is finally shipping, I see from the tracking number that it reached my city but instead of being on truck for delivery it says this : "Shipment may be delayed due to packaging issue"

This feels like a badly damaged box...

I noticed that it is one of the items on Amazon you cannot order "hidden," so I assume they're just shipping it in the box it came in. Which I'd be fine with from a packaging waste perspective, but all it takes is one sharp corner, or an intense rainstorm, to completely gently caress it up. Not to mention a box saying BIG MONITOR getting stolen off the porch, but that's why I obsessively refresh the delivery tracker.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

so I got my LG 83whateveramazonthing and really like it! a few first impressions:

* the default colors seemed super loving warm compared to my Dell U2412M. I kicked it down from the default "Warm" to the "Medium" color temp. I have no idea how color temp relates to "accuracy," but now my solid-color BG looks sort of close between the two monitors, instead of like two completely separate colors. I did see there's a separate mode option for "sRGB," but that locks down the color temp option and leaves it far warmer than I'd like :(

* the OSC is super easy to use, even if it looks very silly

* sadly, my 1060 is really struggling to push 1440p. I'm able to stay at 60+ just fine in Destiny by kicking things down from high to medium, but Doom Eternal, a game that I always thought of as being optimized by arcane magic, seems to refuse to put out 60fps at 1440p, which is a bit of a bummer. I wonder if this is why 1070s and 1080s have been selling for a ton lately - people upgrading to 1440/144hz and realizing their 1060s can't handle it, but not wanting to pay 2xxx prices and not being able to get their hands on a 3xxx

* otoh, Gsync is pretty magical. like, it doesn't do any thing to really solve the problem of games "looking less than 60fps," but what it does is smooth it out enough so input doesn't feel laggy at all when it dips, which is impressive in its own right

* while I'm probably going to switch to a monitor arm once my new desk arrives next week, I'm very impressed by how sturdy the stand is, and how high it up it goes! my UltraSharp's stand always had a wobble when it was at the highest setting, but this one is stable no matter how forcefully I type :v:

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 31, 2020

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Hemish posted:

How does it in feel in Widows on normal stuff compared to the Dell?

pretty good! in terms of refresh rate, it's pretty much just a smoother scroll in some apps, not any different. 1440p feels good, though. I was worried it'd be too small for my lovely eyes, but I haven't had too much trouble so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

terrorist ambulance posted:

I got the 38gl too cause I'm a loving idiot.

ah, you got a different monitor from the one we're talking about (or at least I'm talking about): in LG's infinite wisdom, they have a monitor called the 27GL83A , and one called the 38GL950G. very normal naming conventions we can all keep track of

that said, your monitor looks sick as hell and if I had room in my apartment for a desk that it wouldn't hang off the ends of, I'd totally have considered it :v: